Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Got PLD to 70, got started on WHM at 60 with an LDR that took me, Bleu and Minrad to Aurum Vale, and proceeded to let us wipe twice

I'm not very good at this :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also today I learned of such WHM abilities as {assassin fry}, {Hold the target!} and {A - Assist}

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
so there's a decent to fair chance I'm gonna be hopping servers tomorrow. if anyone needs an apartment that didn't get one, mine will be opening up (it's in the tpt house ward). it's even room 34 for a meme number.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Skaw posted:

Yeah. Direct influences on MP, like Ethers, are fine. And it's not that Astral blocks Refresh. It just kills your natural regeneration which is so much stronger than Refresh. Unless it's a new 4.0 thing I'm not aware of.

I've tested it and refresh just doesn't do anything in AF.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Got PLD to 70, got started on WHM at 60 with an LDR that took me, Bleu and Minrad to Aurum Vale, and proceeded to let us wipe twice

I'm not very good at this :(

Unless you boosted to 60, probably more that you're rusty than bad.
Aurum Vale sucks because it's badly balanced and extremely boring. It's not a good judge of your skills at anything.

If you did boost a 60, you probably just got unlucky with getting AV and you should do some actually good dungeons (level 60 ones ideally) to learn the ins and outs. WHM's easy, it's why I can play one 'cos I suck.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 14, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Unless you boosted to 60, probably more that you're rusty than bad.
Aurum Vale sucks because it's badly balanced and extremely boring. It's not a good judge of your skills at anything.

If you did boost a 60, you probably just got unlucky with getting AV and you should do some actually good dungeons (level 60 level ones ideally) to learn the ins and outs. WHM's easy, it's why I can play one 'cos I suck.

Yeah I went to a Xelphatol later and it was dead simple by comparison (oh Assize where have you been all my life)

Also no it wasn't boosted, I'm an incorrigible leveler at least outside of DoH and DoL :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Friendship ended with all other abilities

Now Assize is my best friend.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I thought I liked Assize, but Thin Air :eyepop:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

I thought I liked Assize, but Thin Air :eyepop:

Yeah I opened up the job panel to look at what WHMs get and to make sure there was nothing new, hovered over Thin Air and went "Oh, so THAT'S what they were talking about. Oh. Oh my."

Too bad I'm not even 61 yet :(

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
As a Scholar, the idea of Thin Air would probably sound more exciting if I had any spells worth casting that are more expensive than Broil.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thin Air's good but it's not as good as Assize.

I get to have both though so :getin:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

vOv posted:

I've tested it and refresh just doesn't do anything in AF.

Huh. Weird.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Has leveling changed at all since pre-expansion(s) or is it still slow as molasses the first time through?

Also... what was the way to do it again anyway? I remember there being a bunch of stuff like leves, duties, FATEs, and probably more that I'm forgetting in addition to the standard "kill mobs, do quests" but I can't remember if any of it was worth doing on a first character. I think I stopped playing at around level 30-something or low 40s. :saddowns:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Do story quests, do your daily leveling roulette, do whatever sidequests seem interesting at the time. They shuffled exp around now so that the story quests grant the largest sum making side quests mostly optional.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

I can't stop laughing help

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Omg I bought syldra, it owns so much. I was a bit short on money and so jealous of people riding it.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.
It's the last day of the screenshot contest for those of you interested.

The deadline is on Friday, July 14, 2017 at 7:00 p.m. (Pacific Time).

Ciaphas posted:

I'm still not a fan of tanking, I only want to get PLD from 67 to 70 so I have something I can get solo credit for hunts on. But boy Shirking onto a DPS who runs ahead and 'helpfully' multipulls is just the best thing.

fakemirage fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 14, 2017

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

You should join a FC even if you don't play that much, because of the buffs + people to help you do stuff especially if you're a dps

Exactly this, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by joining one of the FCs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Where do people find these tanks?

Even when I gleefully keep casting holy and let the tank die they just silently respawn and then keep going but with single pulls because I have demonstrated myself to be a Bad Healer

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

people who play tanks are the biggest primadonnas

if you interrupt what they perceive to be The Way, they will throw hissy fits

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

ilifinicus posted:

people who play tanks are the biggest primadonnas

if you interrupt what they perceive to be The Way, they will throw hissy fits

Yeah pretty much. Me and my friend only started tanking in stormblood and you can see the steps a new tank goes through as they get more confident-

1. New tank- Spams every enmity move imaginable, very scared of ripping off aggro, always in tank stance.
2. New-ish tank- Gets more confident, pulls larger groups, makes sure to use CDs and such, sometimes switches to non-tank stance
3. "Experienced Tanks"-That WAR who is always in deliverance and when they die: "Yo dude why don't you use -emnity moves sometime, omg why are you pulling that, HEALER I NEED HEALING, omg this party sux im out bye"

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

4. actual good tanks - rarer than intelligence out of donald trump, knows exactly how much threat to generate and will berate your rear end for not using Diversion, Tactician, Refresh or Lucid Dreaming to let them continue being awesome

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

5. Cosmic brain tank - claims to have dropped grit in a big aoe pull so they could generate more enmity

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I mean until they fixed Unleash's threat gen there was no 'drop grit' option at least for DRK. I guess PLD's been busted but I haven't bothered with mine yet. Now that there's some gear and such you can probably get away with a lot more.

cheetah7071 posted:

Even when I gleefully keep casting holy and let the tank die they just silently respawn and then keep going but with single pulls because I have demonstrated myself to be a Bad Healer

This is what I do!

I mean you can only do what your group is capable of. It's not like five more minutes in the dungeon is gonna kill you IRL.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Tsurupettan posted:

source your quotes because i want to see the loving OF thread this is from lmao

This is a Jimmy Hats Original :)

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Tanks are true scumbags......

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Re: Tanktalk

I ask the healer if they want me to chain pull, otherwise I pull whatever they feel comfortable with. If a healer pulls ahead and can't keep me alive, then that's a problem.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

ilifinicus posted:

4. actual good tanks - rarer than intelligence out of donald trump, knows exactly how much threat to generate and will berate your rear end for not using Diversion, Tactician, Refresh or Lucid Dreaming to let them continue being awesome

if you have to use more then one threat 123 combo in a boss fight you either hosed up your shirk jerk or your dps hosed up their threat drops.

Vargatron posted:

Re: Tanktalk

I ask the healer if they want me to chain pull, otherwise I pull whatever they feel comfortable with. If a healer pulls ahead and can't keep me alive, then that's a problem.

same, i always say "big pulls ok?" and if they say yes it's off to the races.

BTW has anyone done the lv63 dungeon after the first boss in one pull? I feel like it's possible. I tried it on my drk but got clobbered when i got to the door of the second boss because my healer was still running up and i hadn't pre popped any cd's. I think if I popped living dead as I arrived that would work wonderful. We could have up to 20 seconds of free dps then I get benedictioned back up and by that time I have cool downs rolling and some stuff is near dead. This would be a full group obv not a random pug.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 14, 2017

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Currently 0-for-2 on goon groups clearing Susano Ex. Y'all sux.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
My rule of thumb is that tanks should always control what gets pulled, healers should always keep everybody alive, and dps should do their dps. When tanks start telling the healers what to do, or dps and healers start pulling stuff, you always end up with somebody getting upset and the dungeon just gets longer.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Just lol if you aren't doing every dungeon with the max efficiency possible.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jimmy Hats posted:

My rule of thumb is that tanks should always control what gets pulled, healers should always keep everybody alive, and dps should do their dps. When tanks start telling the healers what to do, or dps and healers start pulling stuff, you always end up with somebody getting upset and the dungeon just gets longer.

I try to just do dps but it's not my fault that tanks can't handle triplecast flare, flare, convert flare, foul. :colbert:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jimmy Hats posted:

My rule of thumb is that if you don't care for something another player is doing, you communicate to them like an adult instead of being a giant manbaby. It's had a pretty good success rate.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I don't really have AoE aggro issues at all with tank stance and Overpower. Steel Cyclone also gets mixed in there so everything sticks. I did hear that WAR has really good enmity generation compared to other tanks.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

hobbesmaster posted:

I try to just do dps but it's not my fault that tanks can't handle triplecast flare, flare, convert flare, foul. :colbert:

Did you remember to shout about the three headed gobbue as a diversion first?

(Had a pubbie with something like that macrod to diversion)

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If as a healer you aren't telling your tank "Pull until you find a door" then I just don't know what to say.

(Three pulling Castrum Abania and Ala Mhigo is fun, ok?)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

OWLS! posted:

If as a healer you aren't telling your tank "Pull until you find a door" then I just don't know what to say.

(Three pulling Castrum Abania and Ala Mhigo is fun, ok?)

Piling bardam's to the first boss however is just annoying.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Let's talk healing for a sec. I'm dabbling in SCH as I level SMN so I can get some sweet queue times. I normally tank so this is a big departure for me, as well as being pretty intimidating. There are some times (especially in newer dungeons) where I feel like I simply can't keep up with the healing when the tank pulls more than one mob. I blow all my aetherflow and I'm stuck desperately casting physick. What's the general rotation for SCH, or more to the point, how does one manage bigger pulls when doing the newer content?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Toshimo posted:

My rule of thumb is that if you don't care for something another player is doing, you communicate to them like an adult instead of being a giant manbaby. It's had a pretty good success rate.

Eh, I find that 70% of people are going to throw a fit regardless of how you communicate. Better to just take the 25 minute run instead of risking it being 30+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Vargatron posted:

Just lol if you aren't doing every dungeon with the max efficiency possible.

Back in HW I had a group that could do Aery in 14ish minutes. (War, Whm, Bard, Blm) Now all my friends are dumbass casuals who die to bombs. I miss the good old days.