Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
the amount of time i spent waltzing around in startupland, i wonder why i didn't think to poke around at startup bwm before now

sleep with the vicious posted:

Does Soundcloud fall into this category?

https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/12/soundshroud/

"Some of SoundCloud’s offices had catered lunches twice a week and had lavishly stocked kitchens and bathrooms, according to a source. When team members joined, they were given company swag, headphones and brand new Apple laptops. Employees were confused how the company was “blowing through money, but now is saying they don’t have any money. People would have made sacrifices, to be honest. It’s a fun company to work at, but there was no indication.”

A core question from staff during the all-hands was why there wasn’t transparency into the finances or a strict hiring freeze. The message from management was that a hiring freeze would show weakness and lead to people asking questions. That wasn’t satisfying when the company ended up shedding almost half its staff."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Hoodwinker posted:

Sure, yeah, let's give the unmedicated, untreated mentally ill homeless folk a nailgun. All they were missing was a solid work ethic, right?

this ends with someone's feet nailed to a post

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Startups are hilarious. I am a consultant normally working with very, very large industrial companies that are incredibly bureaucratic. I had a quick job with a hardware startup which was absolutely insane. The amount of time they spent on figuring out how to decorate their office, and the amount of free poo poo in break rooms and free lunches and dinners was crazy. There was far more thought put in to non-core decisions than core decisions. Usually for core decisions they just wanted me to make a snap judgement about what to do. I'm fine with doing that, but I at least like to have some information and data. The org was basically data averse and trying to gather data to make an informed decision was seen as indecisive, weak and not agile enough.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Startups are hilarious. I am a consultant normally working with very, very large industrial companies that are incredibly bureaucratic. I had a quick job with a hardware startup which was absolutely insane. The amount of time they spent on figuring out how to decorate their office, and the amount of free poo poo in break rooms and free lunches and dinners was crazy. There was far more thought put in to non-core decisions than core decisions. Usually for core decisions they just wanted me to make a snap judgement about what to do. I'm fine with doing that, but I at least like to have some information and data. The org was basically data averse and trying to gather data to make an informed decision was seen as indecisive, weak and not agile enough.

lol
there was a time when the office bar bill at this place I was working at was costing more than the hosting for a beefy dynamic php site

edit: version 2 of this comment:

lol
we had an office bar bill at this place i worked at

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

the talent deficit posted:

this ends with someone's feet nailed to a post
Crucified, you might say.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I wish I worked at those startups. My current startup just involves getting underpaid and lied to constantly.

Still BWM on them because I'm gonna quit and I'm literally the only programmer on staff

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

I found this.

I like it but it bugs me that the artist was too lazy to redraw the body components for the transparent bits so you can see his head through his hair and his shirt through his head

e: I just realized that only happens in the second two panels, the first two his hair is solid and his shirt is only slightly showing through, what the heck

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Don't worry it's legit, you're looking at the *back* collar his shirt through his semi-corporeal self.

Continuity maintained, crisis averted, you're welcome BFC :salute:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JewKiller 3000 posted:

yes you do, otherwise why would anyone

I'm an investor through my firm in maybe a dozen non-SV companies that have raised SV capital. It's never been easier, even from top-tier firms. I'm sorry if it's been more difficult for you, let me know if you'd like to chat about it sometime!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've been working at startups most of my career. Even in the successful ones there is a lot of bike sheding. It seems everyone thinks they need to be google (with free food, etc) but don't actually understand why google does this (it's to keep people on campus - something most of these other startups do not have), and also convinces themselves that it's necessary just to be competitive on hiring - especially in the bay area.

So much time spent on building a culture, and identity and a business, and often so little on their actual products. While I do believe all of these things needs to be built to be successful it's all too easy to avoid real product problems by spending time thinking about break room stocking.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I'm an investor through my firm in maybe a dozen non-SV companies that have raised SV capital. It's never been easier, even from top-tier firms. I'm sorry if it's been more difficult for you, let me know if you'd like to chat about it sometime!

Will you invest in my idea even though I haven't actually taken it beyond the "ideas in my notebook and also some downloaded SDK's" stage because it's a real good idea for a funy app

(I'm not even completely kidding, I'd make it on my free time but it's fairly complex and I have trouble focusing on one project at a time and also, y'know, have a full-time job programming :sigh:)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ate all the Oreos posted:

Will you invest in my idea even though I haven't actually taken it beyond the "ideas in my notebook and also some downloaded SDK's" stage because it's a real good idea for a funy app

No, but I'd give you feedback on how to get it ready to talk to investors. PM me if you want.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

No, but I'd give you feedback on how to get it ready to talk to investors. PM me if you want.

Sure, I'll hit you up later, thanks. I'd like it if you can at least tell me if it's a dumb idea :shobon:

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Sure, I'll hit you up later, thanks. I'd like it if you can at least tell me if it's a dumb idea :shobon:

I mean, it probably is, but so is fuckin' Juicero, so don't let that stop you.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6n5tug/mn_i_got_scammed_out_of_10000_by_my_now_ex/

quote:

(MN) I got scammed out of $10,000 by my now ex girlfriend. What do I do?

We had been dating for several months and I always paid for everything; she had cash sometimes but not often.
My girlfriend asked a few weeks back if I wanted to partner with her in her business and asked if I wanted to take out a loan of $8,000 so I say yes and do it.
She then went out of state for a business trip (which I now believe is probably a lie) when she said her car broke down and needed help getting a plane ticket. I gave her my credit card (yes, stupid mistake, I know) so she could get the ticket and get a discount through her account. She flies back, asks if she can use it for a few things and I said only if it's an emergency and only if she pays me back. She says it is and she will.
A few days later I get a phone call from my credit card company asking if I made $5,000 in purchases over the course of a few days. I say no and, in my shock over how much was spent, forget to tell them that I had given my girlfriend the card.
She calls me and tells me there's a warrant for her arrest for fraud. I stupidly help her out and pay the fine because I foolishly still at this point think that maybe it wasn't her that did all those charges, and maybe someone stole the number off her phone. She claims I committed fraud in reporting all these charges even though I gave her my card. I don't believe this to be the case because I did tell her it was only for emergencies and that's in a text message.
I got my money back on that $5,000 but I worry that I'm going to be stuck on the hook for an $8,000 loan that I very obviously got scammed into getting. Is there any way I can talk to the bank and tell them what happened and possibly get them to either cancel or lower the amount I owe?
Another thing, we decided to get a phone on my account and she's obviously not going to pay for that. Is there anything I can do with the phone company (T Mobile) that could have them cancel my lease and get out with the least amount of money I owe?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Oh yes, I'm reminded of this comment I saw on the AskReddit thread, "What's the worst buyer's remorse you've ever had?"

Fence

quote:

Fence

I was living with my ex out deep in the suburbs of the twin cities, and she wanted a fence for the yard. Couldn't afford it, but I got financing for it. She cheated on me a few months after that, but the fence is in my name, on her property. So I'm paying for this loving fence, and I'll be paying for it for awhile.
EDIT: to everyone telling me to go take the fence because it's mine... It's a professionally installed chain link fence on 3/4 acre plot. I live in a one bedroom town home. I don't even know where I'd store it, or what the heck I'd do with it!

Financing a fence, bought for a partner who soon becomes unfaithful, all on land you don't own! This is a BWM bingo.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 14, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Not to mention chain link fence are hideous and cheap looking. You finance a fence and it's not even a nice one wtf

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Install is the bucks. Gotta cement those poles.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

Not to mention chain link fence are hideous and cheap looking. You finance a fence and it's not even a nice one wtf

He should have leased the fence.

And yes you can do that: https://www.unitedsiteservices.com/temporary-fence-rentals

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Crossposted from the /r/relationships thread:

My husband (48M) is having a midlife crisis and invested all of our savings into bitcoins. I (46F) have no idea what to do now

quote:

What the title says. I'm alternating between having a panic attack and just being in shock. Today I went online to make a payment and saw there was $216 in our bank account. Yep. All the rest was gone. The activity showed a series of massive withdrawals over the past week. I immediately called the bank assuming fraud or an error. They looked and told me they didn't have any way of knowing where the money went or who took it out, only that it had been withdrawn. I cancelled my credit card and called my husband to tell him to do the same. The bank said they'd investigate and hopefully reimburse us.

But when I explained it to my husband he said he was the one who did it. He took out all our savings (over 50k) and exchanged it on the internet for "bitcoins". He said he'd been reading about the financial opportunity in bitcoin investment or something and the way he explained it made it sound like he thought if he bought a bunch he'd eventually get back even more money than what he spent??? Except even if so it would be in whatever this bitcoin thing is, not normal currency so there's no point??? What can you even buy with that in the real world! He may as well have literally set fire to our savings. And he said this was going to be a "surprise", that when his investment paid off he'd be able to tell me we were rich. I wasn't "supposed to look at our account" until then. What the gently caress.

This is the latest and most extreme thing in what's been an obsessive midlife crisis of sorts around everything to do with technology. I say midlife crisis because that's the closest term for it. My husband a few months ago started hanging out with some younger guys (20s-30s) from his company and these guys are into programming and things like that in their free time. Since then he's become obsessed with teaching himself coding languages, keeping up with tech news, buying random gadgets, arguing online about how some kind of software is better than another, just all this stuff he never showed much interest in before. He's bought 3 different new laptops and a second desktop monitor. He talks about wanting us to move to Silicon Valley so he can start a start-up (he has never been able to say what the start up would do). He watched a TV show about a hacker and spent a week trying to "hack" into his company's system for no reason than because he thought it would be cool. He's obsessed with the group Anonymous. He also often rambles to me about tech related things that I just don't understand, it's made spending time together very tiring for me. I'd even considered posting for advice about that here before but never got around to it. Now I'm writing this wishing it had just stopped there.

I barely understand any of this crap and I don't care. I don't even think HE understands it either. He is constantly having problems with all the coding and hacking things he tries to do and texting the younger guys about it, then complaining to me when what they suggest doesn't work or they don't respond, saying they're retarded, he doesn't need them anyway and can do it himself. And then he can't and drops it for a new random project. So the fact that he just decided to throw out our savings on this bitcoin thing without realizing how loving STUPID that is, is really just more of this same pattern where looking cool by playing around with techy stuff is all he cares about.

I honestly think I want a divorce over this. But people don't think rationally when angry and that's why I'm writing for some outside feedback. Help??

TL;DR my husband pissed away our entire savings on bitcoin. He's single mindedly obsessed with technology and being cool to a group of guys 20 years younger than him.
Sadly the original thread got deleted with extreme prejudice.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Another thread could argue until the end of time whether cryptocurrency was a good investment or not but taking the leap to the tune of $50k+ and flat out not telling your wife about it is a bad sign no matter what.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Jesus Christ, mid-40s married couple with only 50k in savings. Hopefully they're just a one income household?

We are headed for some serious-rear end poo poo when all these old people run out of money

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It's like uber, but for criminal defense lawyers.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

pathetic little tramp posted:

Jesus Christ, mid-40s married couple with only 50k in savings. Hopefully they're just a one income household?

We are headed for some serious-rear end poo poo when all these old people run out of money

I'm like 90% sure that's a troll.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

pathetic little tramp posted:

She said bank account, not that 50k was the totality of their retirement savings. Which is the second stupidest thing in her post, who leaves >50k sitting in a bank account?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Enos Cabell posted:

She said bank account, not that 50k was the totality of their retirement savings. Which is the second stupidest thing in her post, who leaves >50k sitting in a bank account?

Not her husband.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Me, trying to make a down payment on a house.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ha, was just gonna say "Anyone that lives and dies by the 6 months of income in savings" rule. I see people with ~$200k sitting in checking accounts all day.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I guess I'm the poor then.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Which is the second stupidest thing in her post, who leaves >50k sitting in a bank account?

Uhhhh.....yeah, like Solisce Kirsk said....that's not an enormous amount for someone who wants to keep 6 months of expenses liquid. I understand going over $99,999.99 in earnings per year makes you fantastically wealthy so therefore you expenses should be well below 1/2 of that that for 6 months, but it happens.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Youth Decay posted:

I'm like 90% sure that's a troll.

Now that I think about it that probably is some dumb, overthought troll.

Which in itself is hilarious because I mean, trolling that topic is kind of pointless, I think, but whatever. Lots of bored folks out there.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Enos Cabell posted:

Here is my BWM.... at 43k right now, I didn't want to go over 8k in my banking account when I planned things out (that is about 4 months of expenses in my account, I live cheap), but I stupidly didn't follow the put X amount in an index fund at Y interval. I did for a while but the market went up and up and up and I thought seems high towards the end of last year (BWM). I didn't sell out, just stopped adding money in, I haven't traded any stocks since then and have been having cash build up. I didn't want to deal with the trouble of a savings account for 1%.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
ain't no timing the market
just put it in and hodl

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This isn't the long term investment thread or the stock trading thread. Let's keep our personal doubts out of here. Take it to those threads were we can all tell you to either put all your money into VFIAX or AMD respectively.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

curufinor posted:

ain't no timing the market
just put it in and hodl
this but unironically

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Hoodwinker posted:

this but unironically

not a drat drop of irony in my statement, pardner

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Uhhhh.....yeah, like Solisce Kirsk said....that's not an enormous amount for someone who wants to keep 6 months of expenses liquid. I understand going over $99,999.99 in earnings per year makes you fantastically wealthy so therefore you expenses should be well below 1/2 of that that for 6 months, but it happens.

People who make 100k a year are just further down the line on the guillotine train.

But yeah, that was totally a troll. Everyone knows you keep all your money in gold.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

Everyone knows you keep all your money in gold.

Please stop doxing me. Thanks.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"Invest in rest." Mattress futures my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Solice Kirsk posted:

"Invest in rest." Mattress futures my friends.

SCSS gamblers from 2008 are sleeping soundly.