Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
i hate how provinces and regions are interchanged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's actually a highly detailed grid of provinces now.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jBrereton posted:

Instead of a pointless 30 years war game

jBrereton posted:

Med 2 and Empire absolutely destroy Shogun 2

Shogun 2 sits in the very mediocre TWs pile

jBrereton posted:

even the Warhammer one are not particularly good entries

jBrereton posted:

Napoleon leans heavily on the setting being interesting (eh).

Dear lord this child has collected all the worst opinions :ohdear:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
when someone still holds up Med 2 as the best in the series in 2017 it tells you a lot about them. not even necessarily that they're wrong, but...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I would never, ever want to back to the way squalor or replenishment worked. Also, it's kinda funny seeing as how panned Med2 was on release. "I don't want to play as Scotland!!"

It wasn't until well into Empire and Napoleon that I saw Med2/Rome1 start getting hailed as the One True Game and not Med1.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The one thing that makes me want to go back to Medieval 2 is the expansion pack. Specifically the American campaign. Even more specifically, playing as the Apache.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gorn Myson posted:

The one thing that makes me want to go back to Medieval 2 is the expansion pack. Specifically the American campaign. Even more specifically, playing as the Apache.

You didn't like playing as the Spaniards, making your basic spanish troop an effective brick wall?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think medieval 2 does a lot of stuff that I wish later games would bring up again. I like the city/castle divide, holy wars and as far as early total war gets, it had the best replenishment system before shogun 2 really made in field repairs work.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think medieval 2 does a lot of stuff that I wish later games would bring up again. I like the city/castle divide, holy wars and as far as early total war gets, it had the best replenishment system before shogun 2 really made in field repairs work.

Troops armor upgrades :3:

Jeoh posted:

It's actually a highly detailed grid of provinces now.

Nation > states > grid > provinces > regions > road networks

OMG SO COMPLEX SO GOOD

Popoto fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 13, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

StarMinstrel posted:

Troops armor upgrades :3:

chain mail for everybody.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What is up with TWC grogs making so many x turns per year mods?

I get how the year scale is kind of annoying, you end up either having it take decades to shift armies around or you have Rome exploding into its largest extent in like 50 years and villages getting built into metropolises overnight, but like, they're both annoying. I honestly like how Warhammer just deletes the date and lets turn length be abstract like every other aspect of the campaign map. It ain't like the city-building or army-recruiting system has ever been anything like "realistic", not even in any of the giant historical mods.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What is up with TWC grogs making so many x turns per year mods?

I get how the year scale is kind of annoying, you end up either having it take decades to shift armies around or you have Rome exploding into its largest extent in like 50 years and villages getting built into metropolises overnight, but like, they're both annoying. I honestly like how Warhammer just deletes the date and lets turn length be abstract like every other aspect of the campaign map. It ain't like the city-building or army-recruiting system has ever been anything like "realistic", not even in any of the giant historical mods.

For Rome 2 that's because your generals would get old and die in 20-30 turns, and even if he was a blood-soaked hardass doing battle every single turn non-stop, you wouldn't see any end-game traits before he peacefully passed.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
Hey guys there's a sale or something https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/total-war-weekend/

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That is one hell of a deal on TW:W at least, the rest are amazing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Kingdoms included in that Medieval 2 package?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I suppose this sale is as good a time as any to ask all these things I wanted to know: How much content does the TW:WH base game have? What factions are playable without DLC?
And how are the campaigns? From what I understand, they are more asymmetrical now and feature actual quest-like goals instead of every campaign ending by you conquering the entire map?
What are the battles like? I'm too stupid to really think of any genius strategies so usually in TW games I just have heavy infantry or spearmen (depending on the game) holding the line and then charge into the sides and backs of the enemies when they engage me. Do the different unit types, spells, and playstyles in the game mix that up a lot?
And lastly: What are the sieges like? From what I understand, they now feature you trying to get over a singular wall defended by the enemy which sounds like a good change considering how loving annoying it is to navigate with large formations inside a city.

E: Oh boy I almost forgot! How strong do heroes become once they're maximum leveled up? I do love RPG progressions where you dudes become ridiculously powerful.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jul 14, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yes to all of those.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Got all the Rome 2 DLC on the humble sale cuz I'm a sucker. If I've already played through Rome 2, what's good to check out in the various DLC? Black Sea Greek Colonies looked pretty cool from what I remember of the campaign.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

GrossMurpel posted:

I suppose this sale is as good a time as any to ask all these things I wanted to know: How much content does the TW:WH base game have? What factions are playable without DLC?
And how are the campaigns? From what I understand, they are more asymmetrical now and feature actual quest-like goals instead of every campaign ending by you conquering the entire map?
What are the battles like? I'm too stupid to really think of any genius strategies so usually in TW games I just have heavy infantry or spearmen (depending on the game) holding the line and then charge into the sides and backs of the enemies when they engage me. Do the different unit types, spells, and playstyles in the game mix that up a lot?
And lastly: What are the sieges like? From what I understand, they now feature you trying to get over a singular wall defended by the enemy which sounds like a good change considering how loving annoying it is to navigate with large formations inside a city.

E: Oh boy I almost forgot! How strong do heroes become once they're maximum leveled up? I do love RPG progressions where you dudes become ridiculously powerful.

Your impressions are generally correct.

The base game lets you play as the Empire, the dwarves, the vampire counts, and the orcs. A free DLC lets you play as the Bretonnians (though you have to go to the store page to activate the content, it doesn't just appear in the game). There's heaps to work with there, a lot of variety. The DLCs add some extra units and starting options to the original four factions, and also let you play as a further three factions: Chaos, the wood elves, and the beastmen. Chaos sucks but the other two are great, if you like the way they play.

Good old hammer-and-anvil still works, but it suits some factions way better than others. It's basically impossible as the dwarves, for example, but the dwarves are tough enough that they don't need to flank--they can just stand there and win. Unless you're planning on getting into MP tournaments you can basically keep on playing the way you used to; I've never gotten much out of magic, and I get by alright.

A max level hero that has been focused on combat is extremely dangerous, and some of them can basically solo early-game armies, especially if you use a mod for extra skill points (as a lot of people do).

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Krazyface posted:

The base game lets you play as the Empire, the dwarves, the vampire counts, and the orcs. A free DLC lets you play as the Bretonnians (though you have to go to the store page to activate the content, it doesn't just appear in the game). There's heaps to work with there, a lot of variety. The DLCs add some extra units and starting options to the original four factions, and also let you play as a further three factions: Chaos, the wood elves, and the beastmen. Chaos sucks but the other two are great, if you like the way they play.

In addition to this it's worth saying that all the DLC stuff is in the game even if you don't splash out on buying it, you just can't personally use it/play as it. You'll face Beastmen enemies even without having the Beastmen DLC, for instance.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I would never, ever want to back to the way squalor or replenishment worked. Also, it's kinda funny seeing as how panned Med2 was on release. "I don't want to play as Scotland!!"

It wasn't until well into Empire and Napoleon that I saw Med2/Rome1 start getting hailed as the One True Game and not Med1.

Med2 is my favourite historical TW still. I've never gotten into either Shogun and I liked Rome 1 but haven't ever made much headway with Rome 2. I'm dying for a Med3 with the improved quality of life stuff from TWW, but CA don't seem especially interested in doing it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Krazyface posted:

Your impressions are generally correct.

Good old hammer-and-anvil still works, but it suits some factions way better than others. It's basically impossible as the dwarves, for example, but the dwarves are tough enough that they don't need to flank--they can just stand there and win. Unless you're planning on getting into MP tournaments you can basically keep on playing the way you used to; I've never gotten much out of magic, and I get by alright.

A max level hero that has been focused on combat is extremely dangerous, and some of them can basically solo early-game armies, especially if you use a mod for extra skill points (as a lot of people do).

That sounds good, thanks for the explanations. I'll probably buy it then, and actually try the game and how it plays before thinking about which DLCs might be worth it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

jokes posted:

You didn't like playing as the Spaniards, making your basic spanish troop an effective brick wall?
Preferred playing as the Apache because you're getting wrecked early on until you start nicking everyones stuff and using it against them.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

chairface posted:

Got all the Rome 2 DLC on the humble sale cuz I'm a sucker. If I've already played through Rome 2, what's good to check out in the various DLC? Black Sea Greek Colonies looked pretty cool from what I remember of the campaign.

Cimmeria has a good unit roster, heavy archers and hellenic heavy infantry. The Caesar in Gaul scenario is okay, it doesn't outstay its welcome. Hannibal is supposed to be decent too. If you didn't own Daughters of Mars before, you can recruit good slinger mercenaries around Greece and gladiatrices in Italy. The only thing I remember noteworthy from the animal dlc (besides dogs as the Celts and Epirus) is that it makes armoured elephants mercs available in Antioch, I got a lot of mileage out of them as Armenia.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I miss having small armies without generals. It was great in Med 2, seeing some random lieutenant win a small battle and getting a field promotion or adoption.

One favorite memory in Rome 1 was seeing an ally with 15 units fight an enemy with 20 units. I had 7 units there exploring the map and managed to turn the tide :3:

Does anyone think they'll ever bring back small armies in some way? I envisioned having armies with no leader that could max out at 8 units, then armies with minor generals having up to 15 units, then your lords or supreme commanders get the 20 unit doomstack.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Billzasilver posted:

I miss having small armies without generals. It was great in Med 2, seeing some random lieutenant win a small battle and getting a field promotion or adoption.

One favorite memory in Rome 1 was seeing an ally with 15 units fight an enemy with 20 units. I had 7 units there exploring the map and managed to turn the tide :3:

Does anyone think they'll ever bring back small armies in some way? I envisioned having armies with no leader that could max out at 8 units, then armies with minor generals having up to 15 units, then your lords or supreme commanders get the 20 unit doomstack.

I would like having armies without generals again, but with how the AI abuses Forced March stance, I'd want it so that the armies without generals could not use any kind of stances. And of course they have their penalties to morale and whatever too like they did in Shogun 2.

95% of the time I had armies without generals it was just shuttling garrison troops between towns or bringing up reinforcements from multiple provinces to the front line. Now that no units take more than 1 turn to recruit, I rarely need to do the latter anymore, and standing garrisons aren't really a thing anymore.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

canyoneer posted:

Now that no units take more than 1 turn to recruit, I rarely need to do the latter anymore, and standing garrisons aren't really a thing anymore.

There are units that take more than one turn to recruit. It's usually the higher tier stuff, like black orcs. I think in vanilla even orc big uns take two turns to recruit, but I'm running a mod and can't remember.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

GrossMurpel posted:

That sounds good, thanks for the explanations. I'll probably buy it then, and actually try the game and how it plays before thinking about which DLCs might be worth it.

There's a lot of lovely steam reviews about "ONLY FOUR FACTIONS WHAT A RIP CA" but really, the whole map is populated and while there's a few areas that could use some unique units, all the four (now five) base races play very differently on both maps. It's not like playing Macedon vs Seleucids vs Ptolemies vs etc, every player faction is very, very different. And imo the base factions and the freeLC are more fun than the DLC ones.

The legendary lord/lord/hero mechanic is the best it's ever been too. Especially the legendary lords.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 14, 2017

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chairface posted:

Hannibal at the gates and ceasar in gaul offer really fun campaigns, which become even better if you can find a buddy to play them with.

The faction DLCs will be dependant on your personal taste. I don't really like the Black Sea Colonies DLC since to me the most interesting one is Massalia and that was the freebie.

The nomad pack is kicking rad and it's really fun to play in the nomad thunderdome up north. I recommend it.

The Peloponesean war DLC to me is skipabble since it's a very "tunelly" map where all battles are hoplite skirmishes. It's a slow, tedious campaign and I didn't enjoy.

The woman warrior pack is really good since you get some amazing gladiatrices in Italy, Spartan slingers and the Germans also get a decent spearmen unit.

The animal dlc is a freaking must buy if you want to play as Egypt. Do you want a battle line composed of soldiers with a crocodile over their head supported by leopard spearmen and some dudes with lions in their faces? Of course you do, so buy it.

The Pirates and Greek state DLC is interesting but truth be told, they're not very different from one another. Use it if you want to play as Dacia or Athens as they're in a very fun position.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I used to like the nomad pack a lot but Attila spoiled me, they slickened how horse archers work a ton plus with all the new nomadic settlement mechanics, there's no going back. For all the justifiable criticism parts of Attila get, it's the best nomad simulator on the market by a mile and a half. Not that there's much competition but still.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I actually think that a rotating legionaire block formation could work. In medieval 2 musketeers rotate through the formation as each line fires. I could see that being applied to Romans.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I actually think that a rotating legionaire block formation could work. In medieval 2 musketeers rotate through the formation as each line fires. I could see that being applied to Romans.

I remember the horse archers in ME2 could do that circle thing where they continuously shoot and it was really, really unwieldy but that was like 15 years ago. They could do something cool like that.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Doing bug reporting for Rome 2 was my personal hell. You had to compete with so many people who would be like "wrong sandals wrong sandals WRONG SANDALS" or would defend the game as perfect or something.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Did they fix the wrong sandals though? Or do players need Europa Barbarorum again to have the correct historical sandals for every faction?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

Did they fix the wrong sandals though? Or do players need Europa Barbarorum again to have the correct historical sandals for every faction?

IIRC the sandals were historically correct for Rome 2. I was just talking about random TWC-style ranting and raving from A Guy Who Read a Book Once that would drown out any reasonable feedback.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
This is the oddest Rome game I've ever played.

Doing Rome on Legendary for my first campaign because of course. Why not.

Syracuse was causing cultural problems across Magna Graceia, so I declared war on them. This made Carthage suddenly love me. Both Carthage and Nova Carthago suddenly offered trade deals, which pushed them into asking for non aggression, which pushed them up high enough they asked for defensive alliances. We've now become military allies. Considering Carthage is #1 on the map this seems a bit excessive, but ok. Carthaginian armies march alongside my forces in most of Germania/Gaul/Greece.

Syracuse took Lilybaeum before I killed them, and I took it from them, which gave me the city without having to deal with Carthage. I used agents to turn Karalis to my side by fostering a rebel army and helping them sack it. I just took it back from the rebels. Carthage is still my best friend, but I own the Mediterranean.

I'm in the low 200s now, and have conquered huge chunks of Germania/Gaul.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Running into bad old habits in medieval 2. I'm so used to the newer games having settlements at least be functional without a governor in place that I'm getting afraid to move generals around, and pretty much stalling on my expansion while I consolidate territory. I love how Warhammer let's you be orcs and not give a poo poo about public order, since rebellions are just free experience stacks

At the same time battle maps in med 2 are some of my favourite in the series for spectacle. I actually dislike several aspects of Warhammer battles because of the move from soft to hard counters. In med 2 there are loads of soft counters that depend on clever movement, while in Warhammer some units just will not work outside specific situations. Shogun 2 got around hard counters like this by making combat hyper lethal

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 17, 2017

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I'm really enjoying my first play of Attila as a nomadic faction (White Huns). I've always found nomadic cavalry factions to be the best, but this is a whole new level.

However, it does feel a bit odd, because it's so different from the usual play. I'm not doing anything but going around the Sassanid puppets in a big circle, avoiding giant clumps of armies, and plundering my way, only stopping to build buildings and replenish my armies. Should I be doing more? I tried razing some towns, but that seemed to have some impact on my short-term food situation, plus the more I raze the more I stifle my ability to make future income razing them again. I also don't want to create tributary states because I don't want to give the Sassanids any stationary target to attack. I don't even upgrade my units for the most part, because the only thing that prevents me from winning even more are my horse archers running out of arrows.

Also, do the Sassanids and the ERE ever go to war? I'm at 401 and they're still at peace, which is making it very hard for me to escape the full weight of the Sassanid wrath.

Democrazy fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 17, 2017

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Edit: quote is not edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Democrazy posted:

I'm really enjoying my first play of Attila as a nomadic faction (White Huns). I've always found nomadic cavalry factions to be the best, but this is a whole new level.

However, it does feel a bit odd, because it's so different from the usual play. I'm not doing anything but going around the Sassanid puppets in a big circle, avoiding giant clumps of armies, and plundering my way, only stopping to build buildings and replenish my armies. Should I be doing more? I tried razing some towns, but that seemed to have some impact on my short-term food situation, plus the more I raze the more I stifle my ability to make future income razing them again. I also don't want to create tributary states because I don't want to give the Sassanids any stationary target to attack. I don't even upgrade my units for the most part, because the only thing that prevents me from winning even more are my horse archers running out of arrows.

Also, do the Sassanids and the ERE ever go to war? I'm at 401 and they're still at peace, which is making it very hard for me to escape the full weight of the Sassanid wrath.

Move. Just keep on moving, looting and razing. Keep some small, isolated regions and either client them or leave them as regular looting provinces.

I don't remember ever seeing the Sassies and the ERE at war in my games, they usually collapse against the tidal wave of nomads.