Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Current stretch goals include custom printed meeples unique to the races at $100,000 and corresponding matching wooden tokens at $150,000. I have a feeling that is just the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Anybody with tabletop Simulator want to do a trip report? I'd love some early goon opinions.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

We played our fifth Gloomhaven Scenario last night, and it got a bit too easy. I think we're going to bump up the scenario level to 2 for next week. I'm kind of amazed that everyone I've invited to play it has enjoyed it this much and still wants to keep going! People who backed the second edition on Kickstarter, you've got a lot to look forward to!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I backed it when he said it was inspired by games like Factorio

Factorio is like loving crack

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't want to derail this thread too much with MTG, but is there a degenerate combo in the Egyptian block or something?

No but there was one in the previous block and they dragged their feet on banning it since it came out right after they already banned something else. They've had a very rough ~18 month run of bad/unpopular Standard formats and LGS-level play has really tailed off in some areas.

It's bad for hobby gaming in general since Magic singles are a big part of a lot of stores' profit margins.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
What do people think of founders of Gloomhaven as city builders go? Been meaning to get one that plays well at 2 player. Watching various videos it looks pretty good but I have zero experience in regards to city building games.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Tai posted:

What do people think of founders of Gloomhaven as city builders go? Been meaning to get one that plays well at 2 player. Watching various videos it looks pretty good but I have zero experience in regards to city building games.

I just watched a playthrough and to me it looks like a game that really wants exactly 4 players. It's got a lot of mechanics (blind auction, puerto rico style action selection, light player cooperation) that don't play that well at 2, and it needs a dummy player to work at 3.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Rahdo's review boils down to 'it's an ingenious system that requires players to work together, selfishly, but ultimately I won't be keeping it for the primary reason that I only play games 2 players, and the dummy rules aren't that great.'

people on the KS page are already suggesting/pressuring Isaac into making Rahdo's dummy player suggestions official.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't know how many times Rahdo has played the game, but I'm not sure I trust the guy who plays tons and tons of games to have enough experience with any given one to give educated suggestions on how to improve design. That's no knock against him personally, I know I wouldn't trust myself to make balance suggestions for Rococo (which I played last night, very cute game, maybe a bit long for its depth) but I would be more comfortable doing the same 5 years ago for TF2 when I had a thousand+ hours logged in competitive play alone.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

deadwing posted:

It's going to come in the Hasbro Gaming Crate, along with two garbage games for 50 bucks + shipping :suicide:

leo is probably not garbage if you have kids

Anything that goes up for Kinderspiel is probably not total garbo, no.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Countblanc posted:

I don't know how many times Rahdo has played the game, but I'm not sure I trust the guy who plays tons and tons of games to have enough experience with any given one to give educated suggestions on how to improve design. That's no knock against him personally, I know I wouldn't trust myself to make balance suggestions for Rococo (which I played last night, very cute game, maybe a bit long for its depth) but I would be morhe comfortable doing the same 5 years ago for TF2 when I had a thousand+ hours logged in competitive play alone.

He used to be a game designer and I know a number of games haves used his suggestions for variants/straight up rules changes. I don't always agree with his opinions but his hame design knowledge is usually on point.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
He was a video game dev, not sure there's that much bleedover and given his spastic personality I'd take everything he says with a grain of salt, especially without a certain number of repeated plays.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OgreNoah posted:

We played our fifth Gloomhaven Scenario last night, and it got a bit too easy. I think we're going to bump up the scenario level to 2 for next week. I'm kind of amazed that everyone I've invited to play it has enjoyed it this much and still wants to keep going! People who backed the second edition on Kickstarter, you've got a lot to look forward to!

Some of our local group were playing Gloomhaven last night.

Me: Why does your Paladin have two used condoms?

Player A: They're Strength tokens.

Player B: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE I CAN'T UNSEE IT?????? :stonk:

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

He was a video game dev, not sure there's that much bleedover and given his spastic personality I'd take everything he says with a grain of salt, especially without a certain number of repeated plays.

Yeah, he judges games very quickly, sometimes without even finishing a single playthrough. Due to his rushing, he's notorious for rules mistakes. He's honest about his biases, but I'd expect his suggestions wouldn't necessarily make a game better, just more like the kind of thing he and his wife enjoy.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I stopped taking Radho terribly seriously when he referred to Harbour as "meaty". He's fine, mostly harmless, but even ignoring his weird conflict hangups, don't expect deep game criticism from him.

e: Also, IIRC, he is partially responsible for Syphon Filter, and that is a stain that never washes off.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

I stopped taking Radho terribly seriously when he referred to Harbour as "meaty". He's fine, mostly harmless, but even ignoring his weird conflict hangups, don't expect deep game criticism from him.

e: Also, IIRC, he is partially responsible for Syphon Filter, and that is a stain that never washes off.

How dare you, Syphon Filter was awesome and every game needed a taser that set people on fire.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Founders of Gloomhaven looks really appealing, and it's a pretty surprising genre change from the creator too. I just wish there was a different theme; a high fantasy theme doesn't hook me as much as a historical or other real-world setting. Still super tempted to back it though.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

The Narrator posted:

Founders of Gloomhaven looks really appealing, and it's a pretty surprising genre change from the creator too. I just wish there was a different theme; a high fantasy theme doesn't hook me as much as a historical or other real-world setting. Still super tempted to back it though.

It's more Gloomhaven was a surprising change of theme. His first game was Forge War which is is a super heavy euro

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Magnetic North posted:

al-azad posted:

How dare you, Syphon Filter was awesome and every game needed a taser that set people on fire.

It's alright, Rahdo was the creative director for Brink.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,76249/

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Azran posted:

this man plays board games for the internet

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Azran posted:

And Creative Director for the best Tony Hawk game ever!

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

Anybody with tabletop Simulator want to do a trip report? I'd love some early goon opinions.
I just tested it with three players. Dummy player seems like an afterthought but the mechanics look pretty solid otherwise. It reminds me of Concordia and AFfO more than the other games people mentioned.

Placement rules are kind of confusing, but still, all the players gave it their thumbs up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CaptainRightful posted:

And Creative Director for the best Tony Hawk game ever!

And he worked on Bubsy 3D!

... oh, hang on.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Tales of Woe posted:

I just watched a playthrough and to me it looks like a game that really wants exactly 4 players. It's got a lot of mechanics (blind auction, puerto rico style action selection, light player cooperation) that don't play that well at 2, and it needs a dummy player to work at 3.

I've not played Puerto Rico but it did strike me as a game that's best played at max players. One thing that I kept thinking was there should be a third or maybe even a fourth dummy player turn where a card is randomly drawn from a third (or fourth) pack where the human players can have a follow action to speed it along if it's 2-3 player otherwise there are going to be way too many vote counts to get your cards back.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Azran posted:

I actually had a decent time with Brink. Rough learning curve and pretty unbalanced, but it was a decent way to blow 40 or 50 hours.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Last night, my friends insisted that I play Betrayal at House on the Hill with them. I agreed, probably because I was drunk. After a one-round win by the survivors, and yet another player boned by their flashlight going dead, I'm vaguely tempted to give the copy I innocently bought an age ago a Viking burial.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bieeardo posted:

Last night, my friends insisted that I play Betrayal at House on the Hill with them. I agreed, probably because I was drunk. After a one-round win by the survivors, and yet another player boned by their flashlight going dead, I'm vaguely tempted to give the copy I innocently bought an age ago a Viking burial.

It is such a bad game.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

deadwing posted:

I actually had a decent time with Brink. Rough learning curve and pretty unbalanced, but it was a decent way to blow 40 or 50 hours.

I also enjoyed Brink for awhile but it was a bit broken. Rahdo talked about it once and there was heavy pressure from the publisher to release the game before it was finished.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Bieeardo posted:

You have to pass it on like The Ring.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I routinely forget that beyond all the overall lovely design of Betrayal, it also has lots of little lovely individual things like that dead flashlight event card.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Papes posted:

I also enjoyed Brink for awhile but it was a bit broken. Rahdo talked about it once and there was heavy pressure from the publisher to release the game before it was finished.

It reminds me how tailoring an in-progress build is an art. If it looks too clean then the publisher's going to go "well this looks pretty much finished, have it ready to ship in two weeks!" :newlol:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Papes posted:

Funnily, that's also what he said about Bubsy.

He also says it's a lovely business and he's happy to be done with it, so I can well believe that publishers constantly gently caress with developers like that. But then art is never finished, only abandoned.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So even though I haven't ever played my copy of Through the Ages (latest *non*-new story edition) I went ahead and ordered the New Story version. I seem to remember there being a board game trading/selling thread but I can't find it, so is anyone interested in an opened but completely unplayed copy of TTA?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

There was one but it got archived. Dunno if a replacement was set up. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501008&pagenumber=47#lastpost

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Hey all, I'm pretty new to board games and would like some recommendations. Out of the games on the front page, I've played Avalon, The Resistance, Cash n Guns, Codenames, and Love Letter.

Despite that the only game I own is Betrayal at the House on the Hill, and me and my friends have been consistently playing it for the past few weeks while slowly, very slowly, realizing that it's actually kind of...bad.

Are there any games that are like Betrayal House Hill, but better? If it helps my group generally has a hard-on for Mafia-like games such as Resistance, Avalon, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Secret Hitler and so on.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Akarshi posted:

Hey all, I'm pretty new to board games and would like some recommendations. Out of the games on the front page, I've played Avalon, The Resistance, Cash n Guns, Codenames, and Love Letter.

Despite that the only game I own is Betrayal at the House on the Hill, and me and my friends have been consistently playing it for the past few weeks while slowly, very slowly, realizing that it's actually kind of...bad.

Are there any games that are like Betrayal House Hill, but better? If it helps my group generally has a hard-on for Mafia-like games such as Resistance, Avalon, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Secret Hitler and so on.

Betrayal is relatively unique, for better or worse. If you want somewhere to dive off from mafia-esque games, Libertalia is a good place. Still has deduction and bluffing aspects, still fits a decent amount of players (maxes out at 6), but is a more structured game.

E: Pandemic Legacy would work well if what your group likes about Betrayal is the stories that the game generates. If you like crawling around a spooky place, getting loot, and fighting dudes, Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition will do it. There is no "betrayer" in either game though.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 14, 2017

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I was thinking of doing the print and play for The Founders of Gloomhaven. I don't want to do it myself so what alternatives are there to getting it printed? Should I just take the files to Staples or an equivalent?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Akarshi posted:

Coup is a quick, light game with lots of bluffing, though not really a defector.

Battlestar Galactica is at the opposite end of the spectrum: it's very heavy with lots of tension as you try to figure out who the defector(s) are - it might even be someone who doesn't know it yet!

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Akarshi posted:

Echoing Coup.

Battlestar Galactica if you can find it is supposedly a better version. I've also heard good things of Letters From Whitechapel.

On the other end of the spectrum entirely, FFG's Imperial Assault is a one vs many with a modular map and good dice mechanics. That said, there are no hidden identities, everyone knows who the rear end in a top hat is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Akarshi posted:

Hello, welcome to a terrifyingly expensive, cool hobby.

How many people do you expect to play with on a regular basis? Player count will more often than not dictate what gets played. It looks like you have a group of 5+. Do you want to include all 5+ players in the same game at all times (most likely), or are you open to splitting up into 2 smaller games?

What are things that you liked/didn't like about the games you've played thus far? A lot of games crib mechanics from other games, so if we can nail down what you and your group liked, we can suggest similar games.

How 'heavy' (number of rules/long play time) are you and your group willing to try? A slight problem with asking this thread specifically is that heavier games are suggested to newer players, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but typically it's better to slowly ramp up complexity into these awesome games rather than jump headfirst into something like Food Chain Magnate and get burned out/intimidated.

The most useful website for researching the guts of a game (not opinions) is boardgamegeek. You can find pictures, rules summaries, rule books, and a bunch of resources for like every board game ever made there.

With your bluffing/interactive preference, I would echo the suggestions for Coup (don't get G25) and Libertalia. Coup is a ten dollar card game with bluffing and backstabbing that plays up to 6 players (10 including the Reformation expansion) in 10 minutes. Great for quick bursts, but you'll want something more in depth soon. Libertalia is a medium weight game that is probably a little more complex than anything else you've played thus far. You are pirates looting islands, and you have to send crew members out on each excursion. Each crew member has different speeds and abilities. You have to make the decision of who to send based on what treasure you think your opponents are going to send. It's a cool game that plays relatively quick (an hour) because most actions are simultaneous.

I would also suggest Deception: Murder in Hong Kong as a game that would slot into your group right away. Everyone has potential murder weapons and clues in front of them. A murderer secretly reveals his weapon and clue to another player, who has to use boards nonverbally to lead the other players to the murderer. Plays 4-12 in about 20 minutes.

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 14, 2017