Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Sometimes the AI will do some magical things in this game :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Eldred posted:

Dunno if things may have changed since (this was posted 7/9/2015) but someone listed out the "best" retinues: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/best-retinues-in-2-6.868993/

Lots of conflicting info out there but by most accounts you can't go wrong by stacking Defense.
Still going with elephants for my Buddhist Merchant Republic of the Maldives, even if I have to have a load of archers with them. :colbert:

Also, the Buddhist Secret Society are a bunch of exclusionist shitcrabs. How the hell do I get Humble? I've got over 4000 devotion here, and nothing I can do with it because I'm missing a single trait that's preventing me from advancing. Even after I kept throwing parties for all of them.

e:

beefart posted:

Sometimes the AI will do some magical things in this game :allears:
"I have bad news, sir. The drunken Jewish King of Italy has cancer."

Coward fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 14, 2017

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Had a question about claim mechanics. I'm playing as an Irish king and a female courtier of one of my earl's has a strong claim to a bordering petty kingdom, the petty kingdom of Soreyar. She is married to a unlanded courtier of that earl.. She is not in my dynasty. I believe that if I push her claim to the petty kingdom, and I win, she and her husband will own the petty kingdom and NOT become my vassals, correct?

So I order to push her claim AND have her end up as my vassal, I have two ways of dealing with this, I believe: either make her husband a vassal of mine by granting him land, or kill her husband and marry her to one of my sons? Only my second son is available. Am I correct in this line of thinking?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Had a question about claim mechanics. I'm playing as an Irish king and a female courtier of one of my earl's has a strong claim to a bordering petty kingdom, the petty kingdom of Soreyar. She is married to a unlanded courtier of that earl.. She is not in my dynasty. I believe that if I push her claim to the petty kingdom, and I win, she and her husband will own the petty kingdom and NOT become my vassals, correct?

So I order to push her claim AND have her end up as my vassal, I have two ways of dealing with this, I believe: either make her husband a vassal of mine by granting him land, or kill her husband and marry her to one of my sons? Only my second son is available. Am I correct in this line of thinking?

Neither solution would work. She's still be independent either way, and granting her husband land would only make it possible for his title to pass out of your realm depending on your laws and the order of succession. Marrying her to your son would only work if you can get their kid the claim.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Welp. I've started getting a good grasp of a lot of mechanics but I'm still missing how to use marriage to gain claims. Does anyone have a good link that runs through those mechanics?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
It's actually fairly straightforward actually. To have a claim war actually end up the way you want (aka controlled directly or indirectly by you):
1) The claim in question is for a title lower in rank
2a) The title in question is de jure part of one of your titles
2b) The claimant is already landed under you
2c) The claimant is part of your dynasty
2d) Your claim (duh)

So your options are
a) give the girl some land (probably can't, need absolute cognate)
b) kill her husband and marry her to one of your dynasty, wait for kid to be born, then kill her (or wait for natural death) to pass the claim onto the kid

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

lurksion posted:

It's actually fairly straightforward actually. To have a claim war actually end up the way you want (aka controlled directly or indirectly by you):
2d) Your claim (duh)

So your options are
b) kill her husband and marry her to one of your dynasty, wait for kid to be born, then kill her (or wait for natural death) to pass the claim onto the kid

This is really helpful. Seems I was almost there, I just need to murder more people!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

lurksion posted:

That'll only work if the claim is inheritable. And even then, it'll be a weak claim, so DisgracelandUSA would need to wait (or :ese:) until Soreyar is ruled by a kid or a woman, or is in a civil war to press it.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

This is really helpful. Seems I was almost there, I just need to murder more people!

This is always good advice.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

lurksion posted:

2d) Your claim (duh)

So your options are

That said, it's ridiculous that there isn't anywhere in the interface where you can easily check "Will this title be added to my realm if I win", which is what most players care about 99% of the time. Like, the game already knows, why not just tell us? It's weird that we have to go through this checklist ourselves while we're hovering over tooltips.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Technowolf posted:

That'll only work if the claim is inheritable. And even then, it'll be a weak claim, so DisgracelandUSA would need to wait (or :ese:) until Soreyar is ruled by a kid or a woman, or is in a civil war to press it.
Don't forget you can also war and white peace out if you don't mind some prestige loss to make it a inheritable claim if it's weak!

ninjahedgehog posted:

That said, it's ridiculous that there isn't anywhere in the interface where you can easily check "Will this title be added to my realm if I win", which is what most players care about 99% of the time. Like, the game already knows, why not just tell us? It's weird that we have to go through this checklist ourselves while we're hovering over tooltips.
It's been awhile since I played, but I thought the game did on the declare war interaction screen. Might be mis-remembering.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 14, 2017

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

lurksion posted:

Don't forget you can also war and white peace out if you don't mind some prestige loss to make it a inheritable claim if it's weak!
It's been awhile since I played, but I thought the game did on the declare war interaction screen. Might be mis-remembering.

Nah, it doesn't. It tells you the conditions that qualify but it's still easy to mess up in the case where, say, you're pressing a higher-level claim for one of your lesser vassals.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Another sneaky thing to pay attention to: if you're pressing a duchy (or kingdom) and actually want whoever's claim you're pressing to keep the title after you install them, don't siege down the county/counties they'll actually take control of after you win. That will leave them with no levies and they'll abdicate to a faction demand within days.

Sometimes I don't really give a poo poo, the only important thing is I control the land, I don't care who rules it as long as they pay their taxes to me. But sometimes it's a dynasty member and I'd rather my new vassal duke stay a dynasty member.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

lurksion posted:

You may have been playing a mod: I believe at least the big two have tooltips for when you're pressing claims to tell you whether the claimants will become your vassals.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
My personal experience has been to run just light retinues, all day, every day. 10K+ archers do their work.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nosfereefer posted:

My personal experience has been to run just light retinues, all day, every day. 10K+ archers do their work.

Is this pre- or post- archer nerf though? Huge masses of archers used to be death machines but their skirmish damage got hit pretty hard a few expansions ago (I think 2.0 down from 5.0).

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Stupid Beginner Question:

I started as the Earl of Dublin. Dad died and I got the Earl of Laigin. Then, I fabricated a claim and got Cill Dara, creating the Petty Kingdom of Mide. I have gavelkind succession but am going to lose Laigin when I die. Considering I'm a one handed, diseased, infirm, and incapable I'd like to give Laigin to my heir and off myself. Unfortunately, it'll only let me give him the titles to Dublin or Cill Dara. Why is this and how do I grant him Laigin before I die and title passes to my non-heir son?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

GamingHyena posted:

Stupid Beginner Question:

I started as the Earl of Dublin. Dad died and I got the Earl of Laigin. Then, I fabricated a claim and got Cill Dara, creating the Petty Kingdom of Mide. I have gavelkind succession but am going to lose Laigin when I die. Considering I'm a one handed, diseased, infirm, and incapable I'd like to give Laigin to my heir and off myself. Unfortunately, it'll only let me give him the titles to Dublin or Cill Dara. Why is this and how do I grant him Laigin before I die and title passes to my non-heir son?

You can't grant titles to your kids in a way that circumvents gavelkind.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any mods that expands societies and cults? I'm playing as a Hellenic ruler and the only things I get are Old Christian recruitment attempts and an option for the Hermetic society.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Various Meat Products posted:

Also, even if you could it would just switch which county your second son got, gavelkind accounts for titles they already have.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
You can't fight gavelkind, gavelkind knows.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So is Monks and Mystics still a mess of "literally everyone is a secret Jew/Zoroastrian/Norse Pagan"

Because if so I'll just avoid the expansion for now.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

karmicknight posted:

You can't fight gavelkind, gavelkind knows.

No biggy, I just murdered all my other kids before killing myself.

Edit:
Is there any way to tell why one character hates another? My mom just asked me to join a plot to kill a distant relative who is one of my commanders and I'm not really sure why. Also my wife wants to kill my brother who owns a county. Is it to help me out since I would inherit?

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 15, 2017

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

GamingHyena posted:

No biggy, I just murdered all my other kids before killing myself.

Edit:
Is there any way to tell why one character hates another? My mom just asked me to join a plot to kill a distant relative who is one of my commanders and I'm not really sure why. Also my wife wants to kill my brother who owns a county. Is it to help me out since I would inherit?

When you right click on a character, one of the round buttons at the top shows you other characters opinion of them, so you can use that to look up the opinion modifiers. In the case of your wife, yeah it's probably because it would move you (and her children) up in the line of succession.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Various Meat Products posted:

Well, you KIND of can, but it doesn't circumvent gavelkind so much as give you a bit more control over the distribution.

The basic rule is that you can't give your heir any titles that they won't inherit anyway, so you can't use it to load them up with every title but your main one to prevent them from splitting up. You can however give titles freely to your other children, and these will be considered when gavelkind goes and hands out titles later, so if you give away your less important/developed titles to your other children, then you'll ensure that your best ones will go to your primary heir (although the overall distribution of titles will still need to be balanced; it's just that it counts titles already held by your children when calculating that balance).

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

So is Monks and Mystics still a mess of "literally everyone is a secret Jew/Zoroastrian/Norse Pagan"

I quit playing with Monks and Mystics and Reaper's Due on because I eventually got tired of everyone becoming a secret Jew with cancer.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how exactly do i murder people? just imprison then execute or by plotting? plotting never seems to go anywhere

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Jose posted:

how exactly do i murder people? just imprison then execute or by plotting? plotting never seems to go anywhere

Imprison + execute carries a heavy opinion penalty with everyone. Not sure about the actual numbers, but it's something of around -15 for imprisoning a guy for no reason (i. e. he isn't plotting anything, and he's not offended you in a way that allows you to punish him) plus -40 for executing him. Makes sense, since you are a tyrant in this case.

Plotting making getting away with it a lot easier, but there's a couple catches. Plots to kill someone won't fire under 80% power, and the higher the plot power is, the more chances you have of not being outed as the killer. When you hover around the "plot to kill" button, it'll show you your initial chances with no help (based on your intrigue score relative to theirs) and the chance if everyone who is willing to join you does. If this final score is of around 80%, you are good to go. Then you start the plot, use the "invite people" button and select everyone that shows in with a green thumb up near their portrait, or just pick "autoinvite plotters" and the game will do it for you. You can then go again at the "invite people" window, and send gifts to everyone showing a yellow bag of money near their portrait. Those people won't join you right away, but if you send them money, they will.

For extra power, you can go to your target's location (right click on their portrait, select "go to location") and park your spymaster in there, telling him to "build spy network". Notice this won't work if they are leading troops as they will move around a lot, and you can only move your spymaster three or so times per year.

If your target catches you plotting, or someone you invited talks, they and their inmediate relatives (parents and children) will hate your guts, and may send you assasins back, but the latter is rare. If you succeed at killing them, but are discovered, you will get a "known murderer" -15 opinion modifier with everyone, and the family will, again, hate you. If the dead person was your relative, you will get the "kinslayer" trait and all your dynasty will be very, very pissed, and everyone else will think you are a piece of crap (seriously, do not do this). The best outcome is to get the guy dead and not be discovered, this allows you to walk free.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Yes, but you can disable secret religion cults in the rules. That helps a lot.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

yeah but you can turn off secret cults and satanists in the menu

^:argh:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I was almost there, I just need to murder more people!

New thread title, please.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jose posted:

Plotting, usually. You need a couple hundred percent worth of plot power for it to go anywhere, though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its tempting to declare war against the holy roman empire since I have multiple claims to see how badly it goes

Just a shame my current guy sucks and I see how big a difference the stats make. I had a great character who I wanted to elect because he had 15 in all stats at least and 20 in martial and 19 in diplomacy but instead they elected someone who was incapable lol. I eventually got control of him 16 years later than I wanted

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Jose posted:

The important thing that people left out is that, as far as I know, a plot event will not fire unless you have at least one backer. It's hard to get red-thumbs-down people to back you, but yellow ones you can usually give money to and they'll join.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

jfood posted:

Tanistry is where it's at. All the obscure mechanics of elective and family members who loving hate you.

Celtic culture sucks. loving ruled back when Welsh archers were god tier though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Celtic culture sucks. loving ruled back when Welsh archers were god tier though.

I think you'll find that Breton is still good. They get the Frankish retinues, plus the chance at the crouching lance charge.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

:siren::siren:GEHEIMNISNACHT UPDATE:siren::siren:

That is all.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

I'm guessing that's a mod? Says I need to be logged in to see it.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It's the Warhammer Fantasy mod

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

gently caress yes, been waiting for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Does anyone know much about the Game of Thrones mod?

It has a mechanic where if you declare war as an empire then your kingdom-level vassals become independent for the duration of the war.

I'm playing as the kingdom of the North (technically an empire-level title) and I have the kingdom of the Trident as a vassal.

But any time I get involved in some tiny war the Trident becomes independent and all the surrounding kingdoms (Westerlands, Vale, Reach) take advantage of the situation and invade them. I win my little war but the Trident is still getting their rear end kicked and I can't figure out how to join their war to help them out because they still count as independent even though they're meant to be a vassal.

It seems kinda broken?

• Locked thread