Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah my launch week S0 screen is nearly flawless besides a few light scratches that can only be seen under the right light.

Right, like I said, I should have specified outdoor sports with dirt or sand contact. Of course you will be good to go lifting weights or running somewhere. My b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Taima posted:

Wait so just so we're on the same page here, your screen is pristine except one time when you faceplanted... onto concrete...? And you have the sport watch?

In any case you make a good point which is that the type of activity matters, running is probably not hard on the watch at all. I was thinking more like outdoor sports with dirt involved, or the beach etc.

Yeah, maybe 200 of those miles are trail runs, but there's probably some hikes I'm not taking into consideration either. But really, I'm not sure what sort of sport you'd be into that would be banging it up all the time. Maybe if you forgot to take it off before rugby or american football. I don't even think activities like beach volleyball or ultimate frisbee would do too much damage, but I may be wrong.

Seriously, I'm impressed with the durability of this thing. I will probably wear it until the battery can't get through a day; there's no doubt in my mind the face will last that long.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Agronox posted:

I don't even think activities like beach volleyball or ultimate frisbee would do too much damage, but I may be wrong.

I live at the beach and my Sport face got all micro-scratched by sand in no time, which prompted me to get the space black sapphire.

The space black remains 100% mint to this day. Apple could take it back, put it in a new box, sell it to a super-discerning customer and they would not know the difference.

The gorilla glass on the Sport picks up a multitude of micro scratches, and gets scratched by incidental hits on objects. This may annoy some people, like me, whereas other people would probably look at the same watch and say "well it looks fine when it's not in direct sunlight" which is true and good for those people, and those people would be well suited to pick up the Sport.

That's why I'm wondering if we're talking about the same thing, and that's what I was trying to get at by wondering if your watch is "pristine". It has no micro scratching? You can go out into direct sunlight and there will be no scratches?

We may have to agree to disagree on this one because we seem to be living in vastly different circumstances. Maybe the beach is uniquely terrible for micro-scratching the Sport and other people don't have to worry about it? I am willing to concede that as I can only refer to my personal experiences and environments that caused scratching on my Sport.

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 2, 2017

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dugong posted:

I sort of regret getting the Nike Watch because the good strap options are so limited. Then again, I'm saving money by not buying extra straps :shrug:

I don’t understand why the good strap options are limited. Is the Nike watch a different size or something?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, it's the exact same thing but with an additional face :confused:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Dugong posted:

I sort of regret getting the Nike Watch because the good strap options are so limited. Then again, I'm saving money by not buying extra straps :shrug:

Uhhh or you can just buy the other straps? It's literally the regular aluminum Apple Watch with an extra software face.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I just meant I had got the black version and most bands have silver colour clasps

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Gold has the most options for different Watch bands. Clearly the best choice.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Dugong posted:

I just meant I had got the black version and most bands have silver colour clasps

It really doesn't matter. Any of the nylon or sport bands look fine. Most of the others do too.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I went the space black -

Pros: Still has no scratches. This DLC stuff is not screwing around.

Cons: It looks dumb with almost every band ever unless it too, is black.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I favor the brown leather classic buckle.

Also the red leather classic buckle if it works with your style/you can pull it off.

The silver milanese is pretty cool too.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Yeast posted:

I went the space black -

Pros: Still has no scratches. This DLC stuff is not screwing around.

Cons: It looks dumb with almost every band ever unless it too, is black.

Yeah, but, the space black link band is the best, so, win?

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Managed to crack the screen on my Series 2. Not willing to pay the $229 repair fee, so it looks like I'm just stuck with it for the time being. A couple third party repair places I called said they can't get the glass/part for it yet. Are there any rumors for when that might be available not he market?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
I thought the Sleep Cycle app would do it, but apparently it only goes by sound now.

Is there an app that will track my sleep cycle and wake me up between a set period (i.e. 4:30-5:00) at the most optimal time by tracking movements when wearing the watch while I sleep?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

Managed to crack the screen on my Series 2. Not willing to pay the $229 repair fee, so it looks like I'm just stuck with it for the time being. A couple third party repair places I called said they can't get the glass/part for it yet. Are there any rumors for when that might be available not he market?

For the Series 0/1, the part alone is almost $100 (unless they separate the LCD and glass, and I know no place around here will do that), and replacing it would break the water resistance seals. And that's the glass version, I don't see any sign of a sapphire one with my suppliers.

Based on the price jump from the 6S to 7 screens (new LCD, probably similar to the S0/1 to S2 jump on the watch), it wouldn't surprise me if the part costs $150+ for a glass version when it's available.

I think you might be better off biting the bullet and having Apple do it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
This situation has probably been mentioned before, but I sent my original model watch in for warranty repair this week and they sent me back an S1. So, yay?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, they’re swapping series 1 for series 0 now. Have been for at least a month, and it was brought up on the last page.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

empty baggie posted:

Yeah, they’re swapping series 1 for series 0 now. Have been for at least a month, and it was brought up on the last page.
Does this apply to the stainless models too where it'd be S0->S2?

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
If I don't care about GPS and am never going to go swimming with my wrist mounted computer, I'm not missing out on anything going for a Series 1 over a Series 2, right?

I just have this horrible feeling Apple are going to decide that, when the inevitable Series 3 arrives, they'll stop supporting the S1 or something.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
S2 has a brighter screen, and maybe? stronger haptic feedback.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Cultural Marxist posted:

If I don't care about GPS and am never going to go swimming with my wrist mounted computer, I'm not missing out on anything going for a Series 1 over a Series 2, right?

I just have this horrible feeling Apple are going to decide that, when the inevitable Series 3 arrives, they'll stop supporting the S1 or something.

You're really not even missing much going for a series 0, in the event you can find one deeply discounted. The big upgrade from Series 0 to series 1/2 was a faster dual core processor, which helps apps not retained in memory launch in 2-3 seconds instead of 4-5 seconds. This isn't as big a deal as it sounds, and watchOS revisions have narrowed the gap. I'd love to sell/trade my aluminum series 1 for a stainless steel series 0.

Series 2 also has an improved speaker for speakerphone, which is a welcome change, since the speaker on the series 0 and series 1 is about as lovely as it could possibly be. Functional, but that's about it.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Ok, thanks to you both. If I do see a Series 0 cheap I'll consider it, otherwise I'll go for an S1

Thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Imo don't get the S0 at this point. The S1 is a much better buy. I have the 0 and I love it but some apps are dog poo poo slow.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Cultural Marxist posted:

S2 has a faster GPU (not CPU) than the S1 - so for future proof-ness I'd probably get it. They're both dual core processors but the GPU perf is about 50% better on the S2. I am wrong and I should feel wrong.

Screen is brighter too.

rufius fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 9, 2017

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Dick Nipples posted:

S2 has a faster GPU (not CPU) than the S1 - so for future proof-ness I'd probably get it. They're both dual core processors but the GPU perf is about 50% better on the S2.

Screen is brighter too.

Interesting, I'd read that while the Series 0 uses the S1 chip, the Series 1 uses the S1P and the Series 2 the S2, both of which have the faster GPU (the S1P basically being a GPS-less S2 variant).

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Cultural Marxist posted:

Interesting, I'd read that while the Series 0 uses the S1 chip, the Series 1 uses the S1P and the Series 2 the S2, both of which have the faster GPU (the S1P basically being a GPS-less S2 variant).

Upon further digging you are right.

I am wrong and I should feel wrong.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Dick Nipples posted:

Upon further digging you are right.

I am wrong and I should feel wrong.

It's all good, I only knew because I went on a reading trawl the other day. You were right about the brightness! Thanks anyway.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
The S2 also has a larger battery in addition to the integrated GPS. You can also only get the stainless/space black editions as an S2, no S1.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
How many Watch Editions did they sell? The $10,000 gold ones.

I'd be furious if I didn't get at least 5 years of usage out of my $10,000 watch. Which is an absolutely insane statement to make.

Point being, those original watches all had the same internals. My bet is all the originals are supported in WatchOS 5, but not WatchOS 6.

It's also entirely possible Apple support the watch in a completely unprecedented manner. I mean, it's not an iPhone. It's a different product. I wouldn't be shocked if they support the OG watches for many more years to come. One can dream, right?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
When their big new software “reveals” are things like Toy Story faces and kaleidoscope patterns, I kind of doubt the hardware will go obsolete quickly. Your battery is gonna die before your watch loses support, most likely.

Speaking of which, my original 2 year old watch was slipping down to about a 28 hour battery life and my new replacement S1 is pushing close to 42 - 48, depending on workouts.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

decypher posted:

How many Watch Editions did they sell? The $10,000 gold ones.

I'd be furious if I didn't get at least 5 years of usage out of my $10,000 watch. Which is an absolutely insane statement to make.

Point being, those original watches all had the same internals. My bet is all the originals are supported in WatchOS 5, but not WatchOS 6.

It's also entirely possible Apple support the watch in a completely unprecedented manner. I mean, it's not an iPhone. It's a different product. I wouldn't be shocked if they support the OG watches for many more years to come. One can dream, right?

They sold at least one in this very thread.

(Not to me, I'm not an idiot)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The Watch Editions were mostly given away to celebrities etc. in an attempt to get hype for other Apple Watches. And only the cheapest one was $10,000 btw.

Some nerds did buy a few, and a handful of people on campus ended up with one.

The strategy at the time was to test if a tech watch could exist in the same market as other super high-end watches.

In the end it was determined that the apple watch failed in the high-end watch market, and the decision was made (in part due to the relative success of the Hermes collaboration) to position the higher tiers of apple watch editions and bands as boutique fashion accessories.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sources?!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Your mother, primarily.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I like the look of the ceramic but wouldn't pay that much for something I'm gonna have to flip every 3 years.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

GoldfishStew posted:

I like the look of the ceramic but wouldn't pay that much for something I'm gonna have to flip every 3 years.

Agreed, but I fully expect ceramic to become a relatively standard choice like the space black DLC coating within 2-3 generations.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

japtor posted:

How about S0 steel ones?

[quote="“japtor”" post="“474163224”"]
Does this apply to the stainless models too where it’d be S0->S2?
[/quote]

Can confirm that they are NOT swapping S0 steel watches to S2, at least not at this time anyway. It appears that it’s just the sport models that get the bump. We swapped a S0 steel model today for a repair, and Apple sent out another S0 steel model instead of the newer versions like the sport models.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 14, 2017

gregday
May 23, 2003

I thought the strategy was that Jony Ive is a big fan of high end watches and gets to do whatever he wants. The Edition was his baby.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

empty baggie posted:

Can confirm that they are NOT swapping S0 steel watches to S2, at least not at this time anyway. It appears that it’s just the sport models that get the bump. We swapped a S0 steel model today for a repair, and Apple sent out another S0 steel model instead of the newer versions like the sport models.
Thanks, I would've been tempted to replace my busted space black if that was the case...and I dunno, only use my Nike one for climbing then I guess (meanwhile, dumb ol watch case thing I got has prevented me from destroying another watch so far).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

gregday posted:

I thought the strategy was that Jony Ive is a big fan of high end watches and gets to do whatever he wants. The Edition was his baby.

Yeah that was my impression.

• Locked thread