Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

rakka and firebase have nothing to do with alien but i'd argue zygote is really drat close to what alien might've looked like. remote base, omnipresent horror, all the sci fi props and back story drenched in that grimey near-future poo poo.

conceptually i want to see the rest of rakka and firebase but if Zygote is a take on Not-Alien then i'm in for that way more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rakka seemed to be more like Falling Skies than anything. It felt very much like a remake of it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

He should have tried that tactic on Neil Gaiman when Gaiman sold the rights to one of Spawn's characters to Marvel for a dollar.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Chairman Capone posted:

Rakka seemed to be more like Falling Skies than anything. It felt very much like a remake of it.

It felt like XCOM 2 all the way down to snake men

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The MSJ posted:

New Oats Studio short is an age-old tale of a lone woman who is a robot but not really vs a space monster made up of human body parts. Starring Dakota Fanning [insert a lot of heart emojis here]. Special guest appearance: Prometheus axe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKWB-MVJ4sQ&t=233s
Neil must have playing Inside when he came up with that space monster

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's Aliens dude

Edit: I looked it up, checks out

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 13, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

aliens but the monster is facebook

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Time to get nutted on by the latest trailer for The Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZP-7mhkGLU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tars Tarkas posted:

Time to get nutted on by the latest trailer for The Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZP-7mhkGLU

This reminded me that there was a previous Nut Job, wasn't it like 6 years ago?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

basic hitler posted:

rakka and firebase have nothing to do with alien but i'd argue zygote is really drat close to what alien might've looked like. remote base, omnipresent horror, all the sci fi props and back story drenched in that grimey near-future poo poo.

conceptually i want to see the rest of rakka and firebase but if Zygote is a take on Not-Alien then i'm in for that way more.

Firebase is canon. Its ambitious project is to create a 'St. Elsewhere' grand unified theory of 80s action movies - so that all the horrors of Aliens, Predator, and so-on are revealed to be manifestations of "River God".

Rakka is the actually-good version of Independence Day 2: Resurgence, mixed with Terminator Salvation. And both those films have Giger elements.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is Space Jam canon?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Rakka is basically half life 2 but slimier.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Firebase is canon. Its ambitious project is to create a 'St. Elsewhere' grand unified theory of 80s action movies - so that all the horrors of Aliens, Predator, and so-on are revealed to be manifestations of "River God".

Rakka is the actually-good version of Independence Day 2: Resurgence, mixed with Terminator Salvation. And both those films have Giger elements.

They all have elements that pull from each other, like obviously these projects are all Bomkamp messing with sci-fi storytelling in a novel way and he just got off an alien project so the shared aesthetic isn't that surprising. Plus the actresses he's managed to bring in are probably related a bit at least.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Chairman Capone posted:

It didn't have a weird Alien Invasion brought to you by Hallmark vibe like Falling Skies did though.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

CelticPredator posted:

I can't wait for "The Floor is Lava"

Hey, that might actually work: "When a freak volcanic event causes a pool of lava to slowly engulf a high school, a group of students must navigate their way through dangerous hallways to safety."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is Space Jam canon?

Cmon dude, you know the answer to this. Shut Up And Jam Gaiden went into detail about this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FELD1 posted:

Hey, that might actually work: "When a freak volcanic event causes a pool of lava to slowly engulf a high school, a group of students must navigate their way through dangerous hallways to safety."

That would legit own.

In the Herzog documentary Into the Inferno there's a wild story about a guy who was intentionally left to die in a prison cell during an evacuation. He was badly burned but actually lived because it was just underground/sealed up enough that he got blasted with hot air without lava actually flowing in. Literally everyone else who hadn't evacuated fast enough was killed because the eruption was super sudden and caught everyone off guard.

There's like, so many things you could do to make a cool volcano movie.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Skwirl posted:

Frank Miller was asked to do The Spirit by the studio at no point in time did Frank Miller ever own the rights to The Spirit. He did say the reason he accepted it was because he didn't want anyone else to do it, but the studio didn't have to offer it to him at all and likely could have fired him at any point.
Something always brings this to mind...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They already spiritually did a floor is lava movie, it was called Tremors.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Casimir Radon posted:

They already spiritually did a floor is lava movie, it was called Tremors.

That's actually closer to floor is water with sharks. You have a chance to survive if you get off the ground quick enough. But if the floor is lava? You dead son.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I can't wait for the Floor Cinematic Universe.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It didn't have a weird Alien Invasion brought to you by Hallmark vibe like Falling Skies did though.

I found Rakka to be exhausting out of the three, so far. It's shares a lot that animated short of The Matrix series, The Second Renaissance, along with Half-Life 2. Just this whole humanity on the brink and it's very hard to see how the resistance is going to pull it off. Even the nuclear device feels not like Hail Mary plan for the survivors like seen in something like Independence Day, Oblivion, and other films but something to bloody the aliens' nose before being completely extinguished.

The whole bit involving the barely living being strung up en mass, turning human landmarks into carrion houses just broke me early in the movie. IT was just too loving much.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

do you feel like spiderman's brains should be made of popcorn and you can eat out of it? spiderman: h's merchandise has you covered

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

do you feel like spiderman's brains should be made of popcorn and you can eat out of it? spiderman: h's merchandise has you covered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfs8hVNvVik

Dr. Dreadful confirmed for sequel.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Captain_Person posted:

I can't wait for the Floor Cinematic Universe.

Crossover events with haunted wall and door movies, revealed at the end to add up to The Room

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FELD1 posted:

You changed my mind goddamn

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Finally.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Len posted:

That's actually closer to floor is water with sharks. You have a chance to survive if you get off the ground quick enough. But if the floor is lava? You dead son.

Here's your floor is lava movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R01bex9Ejvg

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Volcano and Dante's Peak are two of those weird "let's make the same basic concept the same year" films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5VOEu0REs4

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Another one is Olympus Has Fallen and White House Down in the same year.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Basebf555 posted:

Another one is Olympus Has Fallen and White House Down in the same year.

There's a lot of them.
Antz and A Bug's life
Deep Impact and Armageddon
Mission To Mars and Red Planet.
The Raid and Dredd
Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line
Michael Fassbender and Ashton Kutcher both playing Steve Jobs.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

syscall girl posted:

Volcano and Dante's Peak are two of those weird "let's make the same basic concept the same year" films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5VOEu0REs4
I liked the bad CGI lava sneaking up on the house, and then they immediately upped it by burning the old lady to death in the acid lake.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Skwirl posted:

There's a lot of them.
Antz and A Bug's life
The Raid and Dredd

The Prestige and The Illusionist also come to mind.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
To be honest, I'm not sure if Volcano or Dante's Peak is the better movie

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

There's a lot of them.
Antz and A Bug's life
The Raid and Dredd

Paul Blart and Observe and Report

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Skwirl posted:

There's a lot of them.
[...]

Those were 2 full years apart.

Iron Crowned posted:

To be honest, I'm not sure if Volcano or Dante's Peak is the better movie

If you want to laugh Volcano is definitely superior. Edit: then again, it's been ages since I saw Dante's Peak and it probably aged poorly.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I saw this in the theater and the audience decided at this moment that we were watching a comedy. It's still one of the funniest death scenes in the history of film.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

syscall girl posted:

Paul Blart and Observe and Report

except Observe and Report is now a classic.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Didn't observe and report kind of feature a sex scene from the protagonist with very questionable consent at best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Yes.

• Locked thread