Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda posted:

Works for SJWs, so might as well.

Ah yes, those dastardly SJW's. You must have some real good opinions about ethics in videogame journalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN posted:

Ah yes, those dastardly SJW's. You must have some real good opinions about ethics in videogame journalism.

Nah, those fuckers are way worse.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

Stop giving so much power to dumb words

Also, a stuntman just died from falling 20 feet on The Walking Dead. He's really experienced as well with credits on Logan and other big name movies. So I think Frank Darabont has a point in some of the crew on that show being amateurs and incompetent.

The only good season of that show was the first, so I'm going to agree with ol' Frank

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

For the record, both Mayweather and his father straight up said the use of the word boy did not matter beyond normal fight trash talk. Mcgregor is definitely walking the line, and certainly has crossed it to many people, but its grey enough that there is only a middling amount of actual anger over it, mostly by non fight fans who saw it on their facebook feed. Mcgregor being Irish will also influence this since there isn ot the same history of the word there. We can argue about whether or not her should know this, but it is a factor.

But also lol to anyone who does not get that the word "boy" was constantly used to describe black men forever in America, so its a super charged word to use in this manner. hell there is a famous story of MLK's father being pulled over and the cop using the word. It was constantly pejoratively used to refer to grown black men, regardless of context, and especially by police.

"He took some major risks with it. One time, when he was pulled over by a police officer for running a stop sign, the officer called him “boy.” King Sr. wouldn’t stand for it. “Let me make it clear,” he told the officer. “You aren’t talking to a boy. If you persist in referring to me as a boy, I will be forced to act as if I don’t hear a word you’re saying.”"

http://listverse.com/2017/02/13/10-defining-moments-in-the-childhood-of-martin-luther-king-jr/

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What a strange reaction to say, "Well, I've never heard of it being racist, so I'm just going to keep saying it" upon being told that something is indeed racist.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Mu Zeta posted:

Stop giving so much power to dumb words
The schadenfreude is that you used words to communicate this.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
"strange reaction" is extremely ableist.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

But also lol to anyone who does not get that the word "boy" was constantly used to describe black men forever in America, so its a super charged word to use in this manner. hell there is a famous story of MLK's father being pulled over and the cop using the word. It was constantly pejoratively used to refer to grown black men, regardless of context, and especially by police.

"He took some major risks with it. One time, when he was pulled over by a police officer for running a stop sign, the officer called him “boy.” King Sr. wouldn’t stand for it. “Let me make it clear,” he told the officer. “You aren’t talking to a boy. If you persist in referring to me as a boy, I will be forced to act as if I don’t hear a word you’re saying.”"

http://listverse.com/2017/02/13/10-defining-moments-in-the-childhood-of-martin-luther-king-jr/

Let's be real here, the word "boy" in the context we're discussing is used as a synonym for "slave". When slavery was legal, it was a "nice" way to refer to a black person, and after it was no longer legal, the word became a way for white people to continue to talk to black people as if they were slaves. It's saying "hey, I know we had this whole emancipation/civil rights thing, but to me you're still nothing but a slave. So dance for me slave".

People are free to just stay willfully ignorant of all that, but it's loving embarrassing that Americans can graduate high school without knowing this stuff.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What a strange reaction to say, "Well, I've never heard of it being racist, so I'm just going to keep saying it" upon being told that something is indeed racist.

Nah, it's pretty standard. "Racists are bad people and I'm not a bad person, therefore nothing I do or say could be racist and they must just be overreacting" is surprisingly common.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Basebf555 posted:

People are free to just stay willfully ignorant of all that, but it's loving embarrassing that Americans can graduate high school without knowing this stuff.

Well, if the president can be this pig-ignorant...

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think Americans are overestimating just how prevalent their culture is- I'm Malaysian, and I had absolutely no idea that 'boy' had somehow become racist.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

CommissarMega posted:

I think Americans are overestimating just how prevalent their culture is- I'm Malaysian, and I had absolutely no idea that 'boy' had somehow become racist.

Really? I know back in the day that British colonialists often referred to native servants as boy.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

CommissarMega posted:

Again, wer'e not upset at foreigners for not knowing the nuances of our history. Right now we're upset at the dumbfuck Americans in this thread who take apparent pride in not knowing their own history.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think it's nice that these slurs have become so scarce that a good portion of the population has never encountered them

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Tunicate posted:

I think it's nice that these slurs have become so scarce that a good portion of the white population has never encountered them

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Voyager I posted:

Again, wer'e not upset at foreigners for not knowing the nuances of our history.

This is exactly how this discussion started, though?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Tunicate posted:

I think it's nice that these slurs have become so scarce that a good portion of the population has never encountered them

these slurs? This whole derail started because someone took offense to the word "boy"

You know, common, everyday language to denote a male child.

But at one time, someone said it in a negative way to a black person (is it ok to call them that, my primer isn't up to date) so we can never use it again.

loving hell, people. Context.

"Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Smith. It's a healthy baby boy.

*Gasps of shock and horror*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I can't tell if you are all sincere idiots or ironic idiots

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Velocity Raptor posted:

"Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Smith. It's a healthy baby boy.

*Gasps of shock and horror*

Not to mention all the cannibals out there eating crackers

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Who in this thread has said they were proud not to know about it, either?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Basebf555 posted:

Why is it a shock that it's not taught anymore? It has less and less power as time goes on. Eventually it will be like how everyone used to think MASH was the best show ever and nobody cares about it anymore, at least if you're under 25.

It's not about ignorance, it's just irrelevant.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

I can't tell if you are all sincere idiots or ironic idiots

You call an idiot an idiot.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Velocity Raptor posted:

is it ok to call them that, my primer isn't up to date

Find a black man, call him "boy" and find out for yourself you colossal rear end in a top hat

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

this rapidly went from discussing the specific incident into total idiocy

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Racial language seems the nearest thing to sacrilege for our times. I can't think of any other field in which a single word can elicit such a strong reaction.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Strudel Man posted:

Racial language seems the nearest thing to sacrilege for our times. I can't think of any other field in which a single word can elicit such a strong reaction.

yeah, one of the worst things about society is treated that way

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

majour333 posted:

Find a black man, call him "boy" and find out for yourself you colossal rear end in a top hat

They meant saying "black person" you colossal rear end in a top hat.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

y'all have some itchy trigger fingers

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Calling a grown black man "boy" is racist in the United States. I can understand someone in, say, Malaysia not knowing this. I have higher expectations of someone who's lived and worked here for years. There are so many better ways to insult Floyd Mayweather anyway.

Also shout out to anyone who complains about SJWs, it's an easy shortcut to know you're a garbage human.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Schadenfreude Thread: I too, deny the existence of the field of Cognitive Linguistics and Pragmatics!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWzr1XM3lLQ&t=96s

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

this thread is like a game of telephone in which everyone is trying their hardest to be clever and gently caress it up

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

When I was a kid there was a commercial on USA? I think, where they were saying all the horrible racist words, and the dumbest one I heard was "Jigaboo" (sorry if it's not spelled correctly, racist autists, I'm going by phonics). I laughed my rear end off at this word because it was (and still is) the single most dumbfuck thing people could call someone and have it somehow be mean because, seriously just look at the loving word.

One of my black friends explained what it was to me, and I was truly woke in that moment.

Actually, no, we laughed even harder because he explained it SO SERIOUSLY, like I just dropped the N word at a christening, and we both fell out laughing because of how seriously he tried to explain it to me, before he realized there's probably never been anyone called that since the late 60s.

We later irritated the poo poo out of my mom because "wop head" (or whop head, I guess) was used, and again, we had NO IDEA WHAT RACE OR WHOEVER IT WAS MEANT TO CONVEY MEANNESS TOWARDS, but we started calling each other whopheaded, and my mom got mad cause (as she explained later) it meant some poo poo about italian people, and we just thought it meant someone had a misshapen head.

The world has changed a lot in 25 years.

I had a barber when I was little that used to play jazz music and tell me he called it "Jungle Bunny" music and into my teens I somehow thought that was slang for something being sexy/having sex? Like I guess I knew what a Playboy Bunny was, and I knew that a Snow Bunny is a term for an attractive woman in winter clothes, so it must have something to do with sexiness and music?

Thankfully I never repeated it.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Velocity Raptor posted:

loving hell, people. Context.

So uh what was the context in which the word was used here

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Tunicate posted:

If you went to an American High School you've encountered these terms. I mean, To Kill a Mockingbird? Ring any bells? Of Mice and Men? Tom Sawyer? Heart of Darkness? The Great Gatsby? Pretty much any book in a High School literature curriculum dude. The racism might not be front and center and the point of the story but it's there - if you somehow missed it ...I don't know what to tell you.

And that's just the stuff you get forced to read in school. If you ever take five seconds to crack open a book or (God forbid) go to a LIEberal college you'll find a whole world of extremely explicit context for which statements are racist and why.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

this rapidly went from discussing the specific incident into total idiocy

Buffoonery! Buffoonery everywhere you look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0R7oRYoEaM

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

And I can't see that word without being reminded that this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg1htU-hjnI

There was also a class in a Texas elementary school that were given the nickname "The Jigaboos" as part of a team building exercise and no one apparently had the slightest inkling there was anything wrong with that until a parent pointed it out.

But they're all beat by the Australian school who gave a student the go ahead to dress up as Hitler for Book Week on a day when a bunch of kids from a Jewish school were visiting. :v:

People are dense motherfuckers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

Why is it a shock that it's not taught anymore? It has less and less power as time goes on. Eventually it will be like how everyone used to think MASH was the best show ever and nobody cares about it anymore, at least if you're under 25.

It's not about ignorance, it's just irrelevant.

Basic American history is irrelevant now? We shouldn't be taught anything about the events that took place in our country between 1800 and 1970? All that is now irrelevant huh?

Again, there is no unit in the curriculum where kids memorize a glossary of racial slurs, you teach them what happened, and in within that context they learn about the various ways that black people were exploited and persecuted in the past. Are you saying we shouldn't be teaching that stuff anymore?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Basic American history is irrelevant now? We shouldn't be taught anything about the events that took place in our country between 1800 and 1970? All that is now irrelevant huh?

Again, there is no unit in the curriculum where kids memorize a glossary of racial slurs, you teach them what happened, and in within that context they learn about the various ways that black people were exploited and persecuted in the past. Are you saying we shouldn't be teaching that stuff anymore?

Yew sound like wunna-dem Kommon Kore people. The way I learned things was just fine! I don't like change!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

settle down, beavis