Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
The deluxe audio strap is a lot better, but drat the Vive is starting to get expensive. Expecially compared to the new Rift price.

(all :canada:$)
$1,150 - Basic Vive kit
$160 - Audio strap
Probably another $300 - $400 for the knuckle controllers when they release

Vs $549 for the Rift + Touch controllers, and the strap is similar to the Vive deluxe audio strap.

I'm not complaining - I knew what I was getting into as an early adopter. I just don't think I'll be recommending the Vive over the Rift to people anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Wait for Black Friday. I got my Vive last year for $699 shipped, this year it will be a lot less.

Edit: USD

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

AndrewP posted:

In other news, pubbies in Onward seem to be going from "cool helpful VR enthusiasts" to "normal pubbie trash". Fun while it lasted.

PerrineClostermann posted:

I've always found online gaming communities interesting. Did it just get a big influx?

I've noticed late night games with randos to have some less chill people than I normally expect. There has been a bit of an influx of new players but also a lot of the regulars have increased their participation in the Onward League which is undergoing its end of season tournament, with the finals starting this weekend. So a lot of the teams are already out and are kind of taking a little bit of a break before season 3 starts up next week(ish). I imagine activity will probably pick back up to normal then.
Also, a big patch is Coming Soon(tm) that will add single/coop play against AIs that could be pretty neat! I hope it draws in new people (who are chill) and acts as a tutorial to help the transition to multiplayer go a bit smoother.
Onwards learning curve is a little steep as theres no overlay UI and most of the games interactions have to be done with real-life-ish activities, and the pressure of making those mechanics work while under fire from some long time vets is a bit tough.

We need to organize some goon on goon violence as a way to initiate new VR/Onward players and also do some basic training.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Is the Rift good with seated experiences? I don't have room for roomscale and would prefer to just play sitting down.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

suddenlyissoon posted:

Is the Rift good with seated experiences? I don't have room for roomscale and would prefer to just play sitting down.

That’s what it was first released as and designed for. It’s now also great at roomscale.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

rage-saq posted:

We need to organize some goon on goon violence as a way to initiate new VR/Onward players and also do some basic training.

I'd be down.

I need to see if I can bump the supersampling with Onward. The relatively low resolution in VR makes trying to pick guys out in the distance difficult. Also I'd reeeally appreciate if they had some kind of permanent marker for friendlies. Accidentally tram killing does not ingratiate you to your team when the rounds take too long anyway.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

AndrewP posted:

I'd be down.

I need to see if I can bump the supersampling with Onward. The relatively low resolution in VR makes trying to pick guys out in the distance difficult. Also I'd reeeally appreciate if they had some kind of permanent marker for friendlies. Accidentally tram killing does not ingratiate you to your team when the rounds take too long anyway.

Check the OnwardHQ wiki, its got a section on optimal settings / performance tweaks / supersampling. https://wiki.onwardhq.com/index.php/Misc#Performance.2FImage_Quality

Also, as far as the friendly markers, thats what your tablet is for. No it doesn't solve all ambiguity but it keeps it consistent with the milsim-paced somehwat realistic theme, so thats kind of the point.

Also, maybe if we get enough interest here we can get an admin in the VRGoons discord (https://discord.gg/CRRwhE) to make an Onward meetup text channel

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

suddenlyissoon posted:

I'm pretty much just using it for driving and flying sims and it's awesome for those. I have about 3x3 feet behind my desk before I hit a wall on 2 sides and a couch on one side so roomscale stuff is out for me, but I'm pretty much just interested in seated vehicle stuff anyway.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Hungry Computer posted:

I'm not complaining - I knew what I was getting into as an early adopter. I just don't think I'll be recommending the Vive over the Rift to people anytime soon.

At this point, it's better to just recommend people to wait for Gen2, Facebook has proven that you can get costs down to near-affordable, and Vive's open development has shown how to use the community to make an all-around better headset.

Now we just need a unified API and less exclusives because that's petty console pleb poo poo. Undercutting the competitor with lovely market tactics just goes to show how much a company cares about promoting VR as a whole versus trying to dominate the market.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

suddenlyissoon posted:

This is the point of the Rift compared to the Vive. PSVR is also good for pure seated and is due to get some killer exclusives.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This is the point of the Rift compared to the Vive. PSVR is also good for pure seated and is due to get some killer exclusives.

Ace combat :negative:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Which is coming to Steam, so a PCVR port wouldn't be out of the question.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I know I missed the Amazon deal, but what are the chances that someone bundles a decent VR capable PC with the rift in the next few weeks? Maybe a back to school deal? I can only hope.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Warbird posted:

Yeah, but I thought the devs said there were no plans to Port that to SteamVR

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Warbird posted:

It's out of the question.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I got the rift set up on my laptop side by side with my Vive so I could compare.

1st) Wow the rift is light. It's also smaller. My glasses do not fit inside the Rift. I had a smaller backup pair that does fit so I'm using those. My vive has VR Lens Lab inserts with my Rx. They work amazingly well, btw. The IPD adjustment for the Rift is mechanical, but it doesn't go quite wide enough to accommodate my eyes. It's good enough, but not quite as sharp as the horizontal is.

2) The Deluxe Headstrap is far superior to the Rift's headstrap. The rift barely fits my (admittedly weirdly shaped) head and the Rift's earphones *do not reach my ears*. I have it adjusted properly, they just don't reach. Again, I have a weird shaped head, but the deluxe headstrap has no problem reaching my ears.

3) Rift setup is far and away a lot easier than the Vive.

4) I notice the screen-door effect a LOT more in the rift than I do the vive. IQ seems roughly equal. I'll reserve full judgement until my lens inserts for the rift arrive, the vive may have the advantage there since there's not glasses screwing things up.

5) Oculus software/setup is a lot slicker than the Vive. Oculus home seems like a nicer experience than the SteamVR stuff. The facebook thing is kind of annoying. I like the "look at the thing to click" behavior.

I still haven't set up the touch system yet. Not sure how I'm going to arrange the cameras on my desk in a more permanent fashion. I'm just using the Rift for Elite at the moment, so touch isn't needed. The controllers feel really nice in my hands. Much better than the Vive's wands.

Based on ease of setup and lightness, I'm going to definitely be using my Rift when I have to travel. I want to show my dad VR and the thought of taking down my Vive lighthouses after I have had them dialed in perfectly wasn't really appealing to me. The Rift and its cameras seem easier to deal with, so long as you have enough USB ports.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, but I thought the devs said there were no plans to Port that to SteamVR
People seem to have gotten it in their head that a lot of these PSVR games are timed exclusives, i guess we'll see if RE7 ends up getting a PC VR patch in a couple months and if anything can be read into that

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Silly Burrito posted:

I know I missed the Amazon deal, but what are the chances that someone bundles a decent VR capable PC with the rift in the next few weeks? Maybe a back to school deal? I can only hope.

Build one yourself?

You're probably pretty good off just getting the Rift on sale and then getting a mobo+CPU combo from newegg or amazon or whatever.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I got the rift set up on my laptop side by side with my Vive so I could compare.

4) I notice the screen-door effect a LOT more in the rift than I do the vive. IQ seems roughly equal. I'll reserve full judgement until my lens inserts for the rift arrive, the vive may have the advantage there since there's not glasses screwing things up.

Please do follow up with the thread on this. I only own a Rift, however I hardly notice any SDE. But I also wear glasses (and haven't compared side-by-side), and if you come back and say image quality improves with inserts I'm more than willing to buy a set myself.

Thanks!

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Thor-Stryker posted:

At this point, it's better to just recommend people to wait for Gen2

Or you know, people could take advantage of the great pricing right now and have VR for the next 16-24 months before Gen2 VR is out. Different strokes I guess.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I bought a Vive two days before the big Oculus price drop. :v: I notice the SDE rather easily in it, but I also had to remove all the padding to get the screen in focus. Hopefully when the 6mm cushioning I ordered arrives, it'll be a bit better.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sundae posted:

I bought a Vive two days before the big Oculus price drop. :v: I notice the SDE rather easily in it, but I also had to remove all the padding to get the screen in focus. Hopefully when the 6mm cushioning I ordered arrives, it'll be a bit better.

VIVE is better, don't feel bad :cheeky:

Also this way you didn't give money to Facebook

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

rage-saq posted:

Or you know, people could take advantage of the great pricing right now and have VR for the next 16-24 months before Gen2 VR is out. Different strokes I guess.
Not that I disagree, but it's going to be way sooner than 24 months. These things will have been on the market for over three years at that point.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I doubt that, I think they'll go with the Vive model of extending the lifespan of Gen 1 as long as possible to make Gen 2 look even better to drag in more of the mainstream crowd.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I would honestly be shocked if we don't see the next gen within 12 months.

What modern consumer electronics device goes even that long eithout a refresh? The top-tier smartphones will have higher-resolution displays than full-blown PC VR HMDs by then.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

homeless snail posted:

Not that I disagree, but it's going to be way sooner than 24 months. These things will have been on the market for over three years at that point.

My personal prediction is Christmas 2018 as its a really optimal time to sell something like that, but it could slip.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Might well be the glasses; the Rift's main traidoffs vs the Vive are better SDE for worse FOV and less blur for a less bright screen and a glare effect with brighter parts of the image. I'd love to try both side by side though. I'm sure there's a number aspects of SDE that change how obvious it is.

I'd probably have kept my Vive tbh if I'd been able to try both and known about removing/modifying the padding on the Vive to get rid of a bunch of blur.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
My 3rd camera, USB card and USB extension cables arrived today so now I get to set up my office for Rift roomscale - it'll be interesting to compare that to the Vive.

Any particular gotchas goons have run across with Rift roomscale that don't immediately come up on Google?

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
I see a couple options for editing the SteamVR chaperone boundaries on the internet but nothing that current. Any recommendations for the best option?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't we just have a few former employees or something say not to expect any new headsets until 2019?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Might well be the glasses; the Rift's main traidoffs vs the Vive are better SDE for worse FOV and less blur for a less bright screen and a glare effect with brighter parts of the image. I'd love to try both side by side though. I'm sure there's a number aspects of SDE that change how obvious it is.

I'd probably have kept my Vive tbh if I'd been able to try both and known about removing/modifying the padding on the Vive to get rid of a bunch of blur.

A lot of the stuff is due to things like the shape and curvature of your head and face. It is why the #1 recommendation is to try both headsets first to find out which one works best for you. I find the Rift to be more clear than the Vive, but my friend is off the exact opposite opinion. Generally the Rift is more clear and has more pixels per degree, but there are some oddballs who failed the genetic lottery.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Silly Burrito posted:

I don't know what country you're in, but I saw this pretty great bundle.
computer + rift/touch for 999.00 pounds.

Obviously if you have a computer you can just do some upgrades to that would be your cheapest route, but other than that UK bundle, this is probably the cheapest full PC i've seen.

EDIT

metztli posted:

My 3rd camera, USB card and USB extension cables arrived today so now I get to set up my office for Rift roomscale - it'll be interesting to compare that to the Vive.

Any particular gotchas goons have run across with Rift roomscale that don't immediately come up on Google?

The only real fuckery that comes up can be with USB issues for some folks, other than that just making sure to position them for the best setup. Generally just, up high in the corners, pointed roughly at your waist is a good rule of thumb. The sensors have a roughy 110x70something FOV so keep that in mind, and I'll keep recommending this to fine tune and dial in the position. That said, even if you just want to plop them down on your desk its honestly not bad, just not total floor to wall coverage.

This gives a pretty basic example of 2 just sitting on a desk, though he doesn't have a 3rd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTo0JpjNyg

It's an interesting curve, out of the box to have fun in VR, the rift is a much easier proposition than the vive, plop the sensor stands down and have at it. Going up to total coverage for roomscale the vive is an easier setup, and the rift becomes more involved. I don't really have complaints for myself as a nerd though, I spent an hour setting it up, haven't had to think about it since and I've got my whole room tracked perfectly from spinning around and catching disks to laying on the floor avoiding gunfire.

I don't mind recommending this stuff to a nerd who doesn't mind setting stuff up, and I'd recommend the rift to a sorta nerd who not super tech savvy and doesn't mind just having a couple sensors in front and doesn't care about a perfect room scale setup. I would recommend the vive to those sorta nerds if they wanted a full room scale setup, but the price is just too vast on top of (imo of course)the rift being the better headset/controllers, that I'd rather be their tech support than have them spend another 400 bucks. If they bundle the DAS, drop the price to 599ish I would absolutely recommend it again to the non tech savvy or folks with super large spaces who want perfect room scale even if I don't think the hardware is as nice, and its still 100 dollars more, just to make it easier on them to setup.

More than anything about price, this is what holds me back from recommending it to the mom set. By gen 2 (or the coming microsoft headsets which are the real sleeping giant to watch I feel...) when everything is inside out and we don't have to worry about any setup beyond maybe a desk camera for full body skeletal tracking, thats when I'll happily recommend it to the mom and pop crowd.

EDIT2

VVVVVVVVVVVVV Did you try playing with the non teleportation mode? Was that any better for you? I really did love obduction, despite its performance issues (even ASW couldn't keep up without turning some graphics down...) and the admittedly afterthought motion controls (still, its nice they bothered to add them at all), it was one of the most engrossing and enjoyable VR games and worlds so far. I loved how un-puzzle like most of the puzzles felt.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 15, 2017

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I picked up Obduction during the summer sale knowing it has some performance issues. It's a really pretty game (well, until you turn down the settings to try to make it more stable in VR), but it's the controls that really killed it for me. The hands were the opposite of how SteamVR identifies them (swap them around, no big deal), but teleportation was a crapshoot. Sometimes I'd teleport when I let go of the trackpad, other times I'd have to click it repeatedly. I'm just going to play it non-VR as I was enjoying it and it looks really nice with the settings on epic/high.

I'd really like to see a game like this that was truly built for VR. Maybe more indoor environments so it didn't need to deal with so much geometry at once or something. Plus more interactive environments. It was weird playing a VR game where you can't just grab almost every single object you see. I played and enjoyed The Gallery Episode 1 which sort of scratched the itch, but it was a bit too on rails. I want a little more exploration with old school point-and-click style puzzle solving.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GI_Clutch posted:

I'd really like to see a game like this that was truly built for VR. Maybe more indoor environments so it didn't need to deal with so much geometry at once or something. Plus more interactive environments. It was weird playing a VR game where you can't just grab almost every single object you see. I played and enjoyed The Gallery Episode 1 which sort of scratched the itch, but it was a bit too on rails. I want a little more exploration with old school point-and-click style puzzle solving.

Hopefully future episodes of The Gallery will go further, I think they were still learning but felt pressure to push out a demo / first chapter.

And Xing looks promising too.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I just noticed Thumper is on the Oculus store! Is it worth another $20 for the VR? Already playing it on the switch, but my boss won't shut up about it on psvr...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

The lenses in the Rift are a bit sharper and have a larger sweet spot than the Vive, so that's probably why you're seeing the screen door effect more.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
drat, the Oculus Sensor ships in 1-2 months on Amazon.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Tom Guycot posted:

The only real fuckery that comes up can be with USB issues for some folks, other than that just making sure to position them for the best setup. Generally just, up high in the corners, pointed roughly at your waist is a good rule of thumb. The sensors have a roughy 110x70something FOV so keep that in mind, and I'll keep recommending this to fine tune and dial in the position. That said, even if you just want to plop them down on your desk its honestly not bad, just not total floor to wall coverage.

Yeah, the Rift definitely feels like the "easy" mode for set-up (except for roomscale which I can't quite get working yet tonight - but will try again tomorrow), while the Vive roomscale part just worked, and everything else was a bit tricky.

On a different note, for my Vive, my deluxe audio strap came in and I really dig it. The headset fits better now, and I am glad I don't have to use my own headphones since the earbuds that came with were poo poo. It'll also be easier to let other people wear it since the back knob adjustment is much easier than the velcroing the straps on the side and all that.

Yeah, Amazon was out for me, too, but I ordered one from BestBuy - free shipping, got here in 2 days, and the only headache is getting the drat thing working properly :)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I already applied my Amazon gift card to my balance :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I ordered during the final restock of the Rift+Touch+$100 Amazon GC bundle on Prime Day and it's looking like I will be lucky if the Rift/Touch ship before August.