Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Dreylad posted:

i read a good book a while ago about the shift from blasphemy to obscenity in 19th century england that was very much rooted in middle-class christian beliefs and disciplining/controlling the political and social expressions of the working class

it's more interesting than it sounds, i swear

http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/W/bo3635442.html

Say where have I seen this before, could it be something to do with popular culture and wokery? Could the same people being real mad about using the wrong words also be the people real mad about consuming the wrong media? say it aint so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Byolante posted:

Say where have I seen this before, could it be something to do with popular culture and wokery? Could the same people being real mad about using the wrong words also be the people real mad about consuming the wrong media? say it aint so

yeah, there are definitely parallels with moral purity and transgression then and now. Angela Nagle's book on the alt-right also delves into this subject (and is really good)

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

nopantsjack posted:

or if you live in the north, you silly oval office :)
I live in the north.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
I was under the impression that "oval office" was just australian slang for "friend"

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
don't look at me, this shithead prefers the use of 'shithead' as a gender-neutral, all-purpose insult.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!

TomViolence posted:

Words like oval office and arse and whatnot didn't used to be offensive, what used to get you (sometimes literally) excoriated was blasphemy. You could say oval office all you want as long as you didn't take the lord's name in vain, but in our secular age blasphemy's been superseded by reminding folk they have vital, material bodies full of piss, poo poo and blood, which kind of reflects our unease with our tenuous and fragile existence in a newly godless universe. So really what this policing of vulgarity tells us is that we're obsessed with morbidity and disgusted by our own profane materiality, it's a very gnostic take on things when you think about it so the divine has been sort of discursively resurrected as a malevolent demiurge that we fear angering through saying bad words so really when you think about it, South park was right all along.

'swounds!

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

I'm in Glasgow right now and I've not heard anyone call each other cunts in thick Scottish accents yet :(

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
fanny pack

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDsfzJXGAo8&t=49s

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

people defending their use of oval office remind me of all those Aussies who said that their blackface minstrel shows couldn't be racist because they weren't American and therefore they were unrelated to slavery

I'm so glad all the worst posters found something they can be disingenuously sanctimonious about.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
theresa may is bam also a oval office and that is not a term of endearment :colbert:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Dreylad posted:

yeah, there are definitely parallels with moral purity and transgression then and now. Angela Nagle's book on the alt-right also delves into this subject (and is really good)

I'm going to make a thread specifically on that book whenever I get a bit of free time in the next day or two, I hope you'll be willing to post your thoughts

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

I'm going to make a thread specifically on that book whenever I get a bit of free time in the next day or two, I hope you'll be willing to post your thoughts

Absolutely, looking forward to it!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Whorelord posted:

all you cunts need to shut the gently caress up and stop loving oppressing our cunting culture and our right to call a loving oval office a oval office

you stupid twats

C-spam hates women

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!
oval office loses some of its power when you have lively slang like 'gash' to slur with instead

also it was a genuine term of endearment in the victorian era or something?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

90% of all powerful insults are either
1. calling someone mentally challenged
2. calling someone a woman
3. calling someone an ethnic slur

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!

wikipedia posted:

However, in Chaucer's usage there seems to be an overlap between the words "oval office" and "quaint" (possibly derived from the Latin for "known"). "Quaint" was probably pronounced in Middle English in much the same way as "oval office". It is sometimes unclear whether the two words were thought of as distinct from one another. Elsewhere in Chaucer's work the word queynte seems to be used with meaning comparable to the modern "quaint" (curious or old-fashioned, but nevertheless appealing).

...huh

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Terror Sweat posted:

cuck!

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

extremely progressive of u baloogan

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!
i mean cuck is traditionally aimed at men but also insults one in a sexualized but technically non-gendered manner making it a

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Hodgepodge posted:

i mean cuck is traditionally aimed at men but also insults one in a sexualized but technically non-gendered manner making it a

It's an accusation of sexual inadequacy, with heavy implications that the target is a failure as a man (as real men keep their women satisfied and thus loyal).

More pragmatically, it gets tossed around for the same reasons and by the same people who, ten years ago or so, would still be calling everyone fags.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

no that falls under the 'call a man a woman' category

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

BREAKING
https://twitter.com/YvetteCooperMP/status/885939870346227712

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
CUCK!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It's an accusation of sexual inadequacy, with heavy implications that the target is a failure as a man (as real men keep their women satisfied and thus loyal).

More pragmatically, it gets tossed around for the same reasons and by the same people who, ten years ago or so, would still be calling everyone fags.

acuckoldsayswhat?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Lmao

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

yeah but in this context implying that a woman requires and deserves sexual pleasure rather than insulting masculinity by denigrating gay men is 'progress'

even if the contextual implication is that an unsatisfied woman will seek out black men for sexual pleasure which is all sorts of 'problematic'

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!
also it rhymes with duck which has pleasing intersection with various c-spam avatars which i think we can all agree is veryt important

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/malaiseforever/status/885934624593113088
HUMILIATION FOR LOSER CLEGG

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

maybe in english you mangy bat

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

cuck used to be powerful but it was subsequently meta-cucked by frightened nerds

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Brexit followed by Corbyn in No 10 would put UK flat on its back – Tony Blair

Former Labour prime minister issues warning in lengthy article published by his own political institute

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/15/brexit-followed-by-corbyn-put-uk-flat-on-back-tony-blair

:allears:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

maybe in english you mangy bat

powerful insults. who the gently caress really cares about being called an animal. although i did forget about the category of
4. insulting someones mother

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
do people really still listen to tony blair?

:what:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Lastgirl posted:

yeah, to do the opposite of what he says. thats not an exaggeration, when he spoke agaisnt corbyn it only increased his support because ppl hate blair so much

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
very clever move by corbyn to use blair that way

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lastgirl posted:

certain people like hamprince revere him!

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Lastgirl posted:

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
hamprince only says that because he cucked hamprince's lord and master rupert murdoch