Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't think I've seen this cutscene posted yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYJ_gC79x90

The Ethereals are clearly the worst parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dervyn posted:

Have Firaxis stated there will only be one opening set of story missions that involve reaper/skirmisher and assassin? While it would be extra work, it would be nice if they made missions for the other resistance faction combinations. Earlier it was stated that chosen and resistance faction pairing are randomised; imagine when the assassin is revealed and its faction weakness is set to be templars.

Since animations and VA are both expensive, I'm pretty sure if you have the story mode turned on poo poo will go exactly as shown every game. You start with skirmishers and stalkers, end up with the two getting along-ish, having the assassin Chosen hunting the skirmishers, and the skirmisher being kidnapped.

If you want that stuff to be randomized you gotta turn the story mode off.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Iron Crowned posted:

I actually went for armor before weapons in my winning campaign. If you can survive extra damage taking an extra turn isn't a big deal. I also went heavy on research by investing in the laboratory first, the only hiccup was that the RNG kept throwing engineers at me, so I had 6 engineers and two scientists at one point.
On the higher difficulty modes taking a hit can mean over a month of sickbay leave for your soldiers. That, and the increased HP values of enemy units means that getting weapon upgrades first is almost a must.
I'd also say you're pretty lucky for getting so many engineers, as each extra engineer has a pretty big impact, while additional scientists suffer from diminishing returns. In fact, in all of my Legendary Ironman games I never even bother building a laboratory, except for maybe a token one when all the other facilities have been built already. A few scientists are more than enough to keep up with the aliens.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Eraflure posted:

I enjoy going weapons before armor because a laser rifle is the best medkit available early on. I don't need protection when I alpha strike everything.

Exodee posted:

On the higher difficulty modes taking a hit can mean over a month of sickbay leave for your soldiers. That, and the increased HP values of enemy units means that getting weapon upgrades first is almost a must.
I'd also say you're pretty lucky for getting so many engineers, as each extra engineer has a pretty big impact, while additional scientists suffer from diminishing returns. In fact, in all of my Legendary Ironman games I never even bother building a laboratory, except for maybe a token one when all the other facilities have been built already. A few scientists are more than enough to keep up with the aliens.

The thing is that mag rifles can miss. Against the initial basic enemies mag rifles improve your chances of killing for some enemies, but you still want grenades for sure-kills - and having better armour improves your ability to bring additional grenades or heavy weapons without compromising on stuff like med kits, battle scanners, ammo upgrades. An assault rifle with an ammo upgrade is better than a mag rifle, also.

You do want mag rifles by the time mutons start showing up, for sure.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Exodee posted:

I don't disagree that Engineers were really useful. There were just a few times that research was stalled because I didn't have enough to continue upgrading. Being able to just completely excavate the Avenger before needing to install a new facility was great, as well as the resources the excavations provided.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I hope they give you a way to dedicate Engineers to stuff during mid/late game. You need a bunch of them to get off the ground, but late game they just kind of sit around.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Fangz posted:

The thing is that mag rifles can miss. Against the initial basic enemies mag rifles improve your chances of killing for some enemies, but you still want grenades for sure-kills - and having better armour improves your ability to bring additional grenades or heavy weapons without compromising on stuff like med kits, battle scanners, ammo upgrades.

You do want mag rifles by the time mutons start showing up, for sure.
Mag rifles can miss, yes, but that's why I always keep a grenade in reserve for cleanup: After taking care of the enemy's cover, I shoot with everyone else first (getting as many aim-bonuses as I can) and only use the grenade when they all miss. As long as I don't miss every 85% shot, I tend to have a few grenades left at the end of the mission. There's also other ways to guarantee damage, such as Stocks, Combat Protocol or high ground flanks, all of which can substitute for the grenade. Failing that, I always have a concealed Ranger around which can get a 100% accuracy shotgun shot on them if need be.

Ballistics are just not sufficient for taking on even basic Lancers. A Legendary Stun Lancer has 8 HP and 3 of them can drop in with an Officer if you're unlucky.
Edit: Got my numbers wrong here, a Stun Lancer has 8 HP on Legendary, which makes this even worse for the assault rifle. With a mag rifle, you can at least bring them to grenade-killing range in one shot, or kill them out-right with a crit. With an AR you have to get lucky to even get them low enough for a grenade kill.

Fangz posted:

An assault rifle with an ammo upgrade is better than a mag rifle, also.
This depends. Mag rifles are a straight up +2 damage upgrade over an assault rifle, while an ammo upgrade can give some other advantage, depending on which upgrade you're getting.
As well, mag rifles gain an extra upgrade slot of their own, which can be relevant sooner than getting the Proving Grounds up and running for ammo upgrades, though this depends on your item drops of course. If you keep getting free ammo-upgrades through scanning events then I suppose going for armor first might be worth it, but I'm usually already teching towards weapon upgrades if that happens.

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't disagree that Engineers were really useful. There were just a few times that research was stalled because I didn't have enough to continue upgrading. Being able to just completely excavate the Avenger before needing to install a new facility was great, as well as the resources the excavations provided.
Gotcha, and I suppose having only 2 scientists in total is a bit slow-going as well. Usually I get like a 50/50 spread, which always makes me feel like I'm short on engineers.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 14, 2017

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Gyshall posted:

I hope they give you a way to dedicate Engineers to stuff during mid/late game. You need a bunch of them to get off the ground, but late game they just kind of sit around.

You can send some out on covert ops or whatever they're called this go around

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

seconded to all these posts

Only thing I really do differently now is no more concealed rangers. They're great if you want to play smart and safe but now I just pick up the whole right side of the tree through major + rapid fire.

Exodee posted:

Ballistics are just not sufficient for taking on even basic Lancers. A Legendary Stun Lancer has 8 HP and 3 of them can drop in with an Officer if you're unlucky.
Edit: Got my numbers wrong here, a Stun Lancer has 8 HP on Legendary, which makes this even worse for the assault rifle. With a mag rifle, you can at least bring them to grenade-killing range in one shot, or kill them out-right with a crit. With an AR you have to get lucky to even get them low enough for a grenade kill.

Had that reinforcement pack drop super early (like, 3rd mission) that ended a Legend run really quickly and hilariously once.

"I want you to remember that no X-COM ever won a war by getting shot for his planet. He won it by making the other poor, dumb alien bastard get shot for his."
― George C. Scott, Patton

“Attack is the secret of defense; defense is researching mag weapons asap.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

The Ethereals are clearly the worst parents.

Playing favorites and being authoritarian to the one with a mouth? Yep sounds like bad parenting all right. No wonder everyone wanted the Commander, they just couldn't stand seeing them in such an awful household.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

wuffles posted:

“Attack is the secret of defense; defense is researching mag weapons asap.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

People keep insisting that beelining psi is also valid. I've never been able to bring myself to do it; mag weapons are relatively easy to straight for and extremely reliable.

EDIT: Also, we're probably not doing ourselves any favors by spoiling all this content before the expansion ever lands. Hard to resist, though.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 14, 2017

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I liked how the hunter was mouthy and like "I thought you were the strongest...", makes me want him to be able defect.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Have they detailed exactly how this will connect with the base game? Is it something to play alongside the campaign or an extension of it? Does this come with previous dlc, btw?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Sylink posted:

I dont see a Xenonauts thread since its old so I'll ask here.

I like Xenonauts but I suck at it. I am ok at XCOM but Xenonauts is just brutal.

I will be in deep cover then get sniped out of the fog of war constantly. Is there some trick to that game I'm not understanding or is it a meat grinder?

I'm gonna assume some stuff is generally the same as classic xcom here since it's been so long since I played Xeno (and it shows lol)

Generally the aliens see better than you do, especially in the dark. If it's night time lighting up the map before progressing is very important.

Don't rely on full cover because it's mostly meaningless. Either you are inside and have extra time units watching the available entrances or you are vulnerable to enemy fire.

Incoming fire will usually mean that your soldier dies even with tier 1 armor. Plan accordingly and don't put people you care about up front.

Search the map in groups of 2 minimum. Three if possible. (The reason for the third man is so he can get shot and the other 2 can kill whoever shot him)

If you misplaced your troops and are experiencing a bunch of accurate fire, regroup! You don't need to take any given barn under less than ideal circumstances.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Honest Thief posted:

Have they detailed exactly how this will connect with the base game? Is it something to play alongside the campaign or an extension of it? Does this come with previous dlc, btw?

It is integrated into the main campaign like EW was with EU. It also integrates the older DLC and updates it a bit but doesn't include them.

Basically think of it as Civ expansions and civilization packs. The expansion changes the base game experience with a bunch of new poo poo and modifies the DLC if you have it to work better alongside the new stuff.

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 14, 2017

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
Ok so the Ability Points system is completely ridiculous: contray to what I've heard earlier, normal soldiers do get their own soldier AP in addition to the shared XCOM AP they earn, they just don't have a base rate high enough to buy a perk compared to faction classes.

So depending on a soldier's combat intelligence stat (the Ranger they were showcasing was just 2 points shy of being able to get Phantom after she took Blademaster normally), you may be able to start getting a perk from the other tree as soon as Sergeant, maybe even Corporal.

That is freakin' ridiculous and I will probably have a love/hate relationship with it since it'll probably be the person with a gravely wounded time of 40 days that will be able to dual spec first in my playthroughs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Backhand posted:

People keep insisting that beelining psi is also valid. I've never been able to bring myself to do it; mag weapons are relatively easy to straight for and extremely reliable.

EDIT: Also, we're probably not doing ourselves any favors by spoiling all this content before the expansion ever lands. Hard to resist, though.

psi beelines are valid but the inherent problem is that it trades time investment for money investment. it costs a fair bit to outfit your mans with mag weapons, and it does indeed cost less to get a couple mans in the psi labs and becoming super saiyans, but super saiyans need to spend a bunch of extra time in the hyperbolic lion tamer(or time chamber or whatever the gently caress i'm not mr. popo) to become useful, whereas once you have the research for mag weapons you pay your way and it's done.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

reignofevil posted:

I'm gonna assume some stuff is generally the same as classic xcom here since it's been so long since I played Xeno (and it shows lol)

Generally the aliens see better than you do, especially in the dark. If it's night time lighting up the map before progressing is very important.

Don't rely on full cover because it's mostly meaningless. Either you are inside and have extra time units watching the available entrances or you are vulnerable to enemy fire.

Incoming fire will usually mean that your soldier dies even with tier 1 armor. Plan accordingly and don't put people you care about up front.

Search the map in groups of 2 minimum. Three if possible. (The reason for the third man is so he can get shot and the other 2 can kill whoever shot him)

If you misplaced your troops and are experiencing a bunch of accurate fire, regroup! You don't need to take any given barn under less than ideal circumstances.

IIRC, the alien do a trick where they have a character walk forwards, spot you, the rest of their units shoot you, and then the scout runs off back into the fog of war. You should do this too.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

reignofevil posted:

In original xcom if you got truly hosed by the rng then on the first alien turn an enemy with a blaster bomb would spot you and kill all twelve of your soldiers, most of which were still on the skyranger.

From a few pages ago, but the reason this happens is that Aliens start with full time units at the start of the game. Having extra time units on the other side's turn greatly increases your chances of getting a reaction shot, resulting in many many many dead XCOM soldiers on their first move out of the skyranger.

The solution is to simply End Turn as soon as you start a mission, this allows the aliens to move around and spend TU's before you move out.

Edit - Other tips for classic XCOM-

- use Open XCOm of course.
- Clear late game alien bases with full groups of rookies with Laser gun and grenade only, make them hold hands and clear the base in pairs. 24 MEN ENTER hopefully one leaves.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Xenonauts chat.

0. Air war is paramount. Get a base in Israel, US, and China. learn to dogfight, condors can take any Light Scout/fighter in the sky. Foxtrots stay useful for anything larger.
1. Dont fight at night, your soldiers will get picked off.
2. If you fight at night, bring a tank/scout car. Its head lights will let you see farther. In fact, bring tanks all the time. Blow everything up and use it to scout.
3. Bring lots of smoke. They cant shoot what they cant see. Does not apply to sebilians.
4. Lead with a pair of riot shield soldiers. Use pistols, have them toss grenades and smoke. Have riflemen back them up
5. when aiming cannons/rockets aim for the tile behind the alien. the game will calculate "hit obstacle" and get you a hit on the alien. aiming at the alien will cause the rocket to go off course.
6. gently caress being honorable. Blow poo poo up. You can pack so many explosives its not funny. Breaching a UFO? pack that door with C4 and blow it, dont stand there and open it. Make capturing alien tech a nice bonus, not a priority. Tech will be captured.
7. Doors and corners are death. Reapers love them. Give buildings plenty of room. Or blow it up. C4 at each corner works

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

fargom posted:

From a few pages ago, but the reason this happens is that Aliens start with full time units at the start of the game. Having extra time units on the other side's turn greatly increases your chances of getting a reaction shot, resulting in many many many dead XCOM soldiers on their first move out of the skyranger.

The solution is to simply End Turn as soon as you start a mission, this allows the aliens to move around and spend TU's before you move out.

Edit - Other tips for classic XCOM-

- use Open XCOm of course.
- Clear late game alien bases with full groups of rookies with Laser gun and grenade only, make them hold hands and clear the base in pairs. 24 MEN ENTER hopefully one leaves.

Generally I just had my first dude pop a smoke grenade and went in guns blazing.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Coolguye posted:

psi beelines are valid but the inherent problem is that it trades time investment for money investment. it costs a fair bit to outfit your mans with mag weapons, and it does indeed cost less to get a couple mans in the psi labs and becoming super saiyans, but super saiyans need to spend a bunch of extra time in the hyperbolic lion tamer(or time chamber or whatever the gently caress i'm not mr. popo) to become useful, whereas once you have the research for mag weapons you pay your way and it's done.

Also it's random whether the psi troop will be useful right out of the tube. Sometimes you luck out and get Stasis which makes them almost worth taking along because they can make that newly activated pod a bit less threatening. Sometimes you get Inspire which is situational. Sometimes you get Insanity which is meh by itself. (Yeah you can mind control an enemy temporarily, but that also means they'll reveal more of the map and activate the Gatekeeper/Lid pod.)

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Man I remember my first run through OG XCOM, I was clearing a snakeman base and it took me legit like an hour plus to work through the place. Had all my dudes stacked up ready to assault the control room, feeling real good about only losing 1 dude so far. And this thing I thought I had killed earlier but had no idea what the gently caress it was apparently woke up from being dead and sprinted across the entire base zombifying my dudes in one hit and basically annihilated my entire platoon in 3 turns.

And that's the first time I met a Chrysallid :xcom:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

winterwerefox posted:

Xenonauts chat.

0. Air war is paramount. Get a base in Israel, US, and China. learn to dogfight, condors can take any Light Scout/fighter in the sky. Foxtrots stay useful for anything larger.
1. Dont fight at night, your soldiers will get picked off.
2. If you fight at night, bring a tank/scout car. Its head lights will let you see farther. In fact, bring tanks all the time. Blow everything up and use it to scout.
3. Bring lots of smoke. They cant shoot what they cant see. Does not apply to sebilians.
4. Lead with a pair of riot shield soldiers. Use pistols, have them toss grenades and smoke. Have riflemen back them up
5. when aiming cannons/rockets aim for the tile behind the alien. the game will calculate "hit obstacle" and get you a hit on the alien. aiming at the alien will cause the rocket to go off course.
6. gently caress being honorable. Blow poo poo up. You can pack so many explosives its not funny. Breaching a UFO? pack that door with C4 and blow it, dont stand there and open it. Make capturing alien tech a nice bonus, not a priority. Tech will be captured.
7. Doors and corners are death. Reapers love them. Give buildings plenty of room. Or blow it up. C4 at each corner works

Highlighting the best points of Xenonats. Guns and high accuracy are nice, but gently caress that poo poo blow it all up. I had so many terror missions where I leveled half the neighborhood because gently caress THAT poo poo. The ones that weren't half-leveled were fully 100% leveled because it was a robot terror mission which is DOUBLE gently caress THAT.

Also cars/tanks are so hilarious because they have 0 repair/heal time and it's great watching the incoming shots go "dink!" off the front armor

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 14, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I'm wanting to shoot for the "Win by July 1st" achievement, and I'm looking for pointers. How much luck do you need to get to the story missions in time? How soon do you need the Proving Ground up? Is there a surefire build order I should aim for? That sort of thing.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 15, 2017

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

So I'm wanting to shoot for the "Win by July 1st" achievement, and I'm looking for pointers. How much luck do you need to get to the story missions in time? How soon do you need the Proving Ground up? Is there a surefire build order I should aim for? That sort of thing.

I'm just wrapping that up and I'll add some more detailed tips later but you don't need a lot of luck. It's nice to get a scientist or engineer out of your first or second scan but not required. I missed the timer by hours (completed final mission on the 1st, no achievement) on my first try but it was preventable--I have an extra week to finish this run before the 1st.

Always be progressing the story. Start a GTS on your starting empty square right away, use your first engineer to excavate. You won't need to boost construction for this, the timing works out well where it completes around the time you rank up to buy Squad Size 1.

Research Alien Biotech>Officer Autopsy

Build the proving ground as soon as you can and boost construction with the engineer. Build skull jack asap, boost speed with engineer. Once he's done, excavate last top square, build a power relay when you have the cash, excavate first square of 2nd level. You won't need to provide a construction boost the power relay.

Resistance Comms>Modular weapons>Resistance Radio>Mag Weapons (interrupt mag weapons when black site vial and codex brain are available)

Get squad size 1, do black site, take flash bang and skull jack officer for codex at first good opportunity (ASAP)

Don't expand beyond the black site until you have the brain and the vial researched so they don't spawn their missions on the other side of the map. Your next objectives is to get to those asap while building relays/power and 2 radio towers. They should spawn 3-4 jumps away, this is a place you can get lucky or unlucky. Spend 40 intel for contact, spend 80 intel for second contact, build radio relay, make 3rd contact for 40 intel (and potential 4th contact for 80) and do the story mission as soon as you unlock it (Forge or Psi Gate).

Start the research resulting from Forge or Psi Gate (which ever one you went after first), then start making contacts to the other. This urgency is key. It will take time (4-5 days or more each) for the story missions to complete in the shadow chamber and you will have a set amount of time to reach each story mission. You need to be progressing rapidly on both fronts, AND anticipate your supply/power/resistance contacts/relay needs in advance so you're not held up much if any waiting for buildings to complete.

If you get that far with enough time left you've pretty much got it beat. Pick up research along the way as best you can while keeping the story going. You should have full tier 2 weapons and armor, a couple of exo suits, one of each specialized ammo, and plasma grenades by the final mission without trouble.

• Keep an eye on your intel, don't spend it at the black market until you have the Forge and Psi Gate completed.
  • Use free research opportunities as much as you can for tech that's not mission-critical.
  • Change your scanning bonus at HQ to rapid construction after the first supply drop (first opportunity). Use this boost if it will speed up your story progress (building the shadow chamber, comm relays for more contacts).
  • Sometimes its better to expand a power/radio relay, other times to staff it, other times to build a second (power) relay. Ask yourself what is most efficient when needed.
  • If you want to take 10-20% of the difficulty off the top, enable Alien Hunters (you should anyway to prevent a random ruler spawn) and only do the first scan for the weapons. The frost grenade alone lets you do your two skulljackings easier/earlier/safer.
  • Your 2 big danger moments on the tactical level are the skull jackings. Take a flashbang for the officer (codex), a mimic beacon for the codex (avatar)...or just a frost grenade to both.
  • Be ready for a Sectopod at the Forge and a Gatekeeper and Chryssalids at the Gate.
  • You need 4 scientists for the shadow chamber, 2 engineers for building the mag weapons.
  • Getting shot down by a UFO owns, especially if you get one in June (I got one in both campaigns). You can destroy the relay, all the static spawns, and just chain kill reinforcement drops until your fingers bleed. I killed 88 aliens the first go-round, and I'm about to do another one on this run. You can get everyone to Colonel before the last mission. Don't bother with Wet Work in the GTS. I think you can also chain-run a blacksite if you kill all the aliens and evac without setting the X4 charges but I haven't had to do that yet.
  • If you find yourself just a bit flush with cash early, get Vulture. You can sell the extra drops you don't use and get back the $75 invested easily. In the first run I stretched to get it and everyone had decent-to-good PCS and same on weapon mods. The second run through I didn't and I have 2 troops with PCS and 'meh' weapon mods.
  • For squad comp I like 2 rangers, 2 grenadiers (one with heavy ordinance, 1 with holo targetting), hacker specialist, and gunslinger.
  • Keep troops out of the med bay, you need them earning EXP the whole time. Keep tabs on who has earned a promotion in a mission and try to spread kills to those that haven't yet if possible.
  • Reinforcements getting called in should be seen as free EXP being dropped in your lap. Hacking a tower that has reinforcements on fail is actually a benefit if done at the right time. You should have a couple of turns to spare on those missions most times.
  • Don't bother with Supply rumors most times, better to speed up engineer excavation--you just don't get enough resources for the time invested.

wuffles fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 15, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So looking at the achievement in Steam, it seems like you get an extra two weeks (until July 15) for War of the Chosen.

Any idea as to whether that's going to be any easier? harder? If dealing with the Chosen doesn't take any research/engineering time, then that's "free" time to get through the critical path, but you might not be able to hunt them all down before the end (so your final mission team would have to be able to deal with them).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
easier or harder is difficult to say considering all the mechanics we have in play currently, but the game is definitely going to be a lot more complex. the extra two weeks could be as simple as 'look dawg there's a lot going on and i don't want you hosed out of this because dice rolled bad so here you go'

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
So they appeared to have disabled that midpoint tracking thing for pods in the expansion: a german LPer uploaded a video of him doing the new rescue mission type (rescuing Advent Worf) and he snuck by all patrolling pods, and thanks to a lucky hack reward that let him open the door to Mox's cell without breaking concealment, managed to get out without actually making contact with the enemy.

(It also revealed the catch to the new rescue mission variant letting you call down your evac zone and not having a timer: the VIP will be knocked out, and carrying a unit will break your concealment and render you unable to stealth again, and the cherry on top of all that: the SITREP for the mission restricted him to a three man squad.)

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Exposure posted:

So they appeared to have disabled that midpoint tracking thing for pods in the expansion: a german LPer uploaded a video of him doing the new rescue mission type (rescuing Advent Worf) and he snuck by all patrolling pods, and thanks to a lucky hack reward that let him open the door to Mox's cell without breaking concealment, managed to get out without actually making contact with the enemy.

(It also revealed the catch to the new rescue mission variant letting you call down your evac zone and not having a timer: the VIP will be knocked out, and carrying a unit will break your concealment and render you unable to stealth again, and the cherry on top of all that: the SITREP for the mission restricted him to a three man squad.)

I'm pretty sure they said in the Lost and Abandoned video that that mission type is stealth-oriented, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was only disabled for that and not in general.

Like I'd love for them to go full Invisible, Inc. and have stealth be an actually viable strategy* but I don't think that's in the cards outside of specific mission types :(

*I managed to fully stealth a Destroy the Base mission once, only to find out that planting the bomb automatically reveals you so you have to take at least one turn of fire unless you leave that soldier behind :(:(:(

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 15, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I haven't played this since launch, but I'm going to give LW2 a try. Any tips on getting started?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

*I managed to fully stealth a Destroy the Base mission once, only to find out that planting the bomb automatically reveals you so you have to take at least one turn of fire unless you leave that soldier behind :(:(:(

Wraith suit, find a way to only take one action getting to the place to plant the bomb (planting it is a free action) then use wraith mode to get out the building in one and and into the drop zone. Or if you can, (pod placement allowing) make planting it your first action, so you have 2 actions to get out. Either way, wraith mode helps.

^ play it again with the DLC (or wait until War of the Chosen). Then play Long War 2 if you really do feel masochistic, you know how Jade says the best way to play is to find ways to not leave things to chance? The Long War people say "EVERYTHING should be up to chance! Because challenge!", this results in stuff like explosives not being guaranteed to destroy cover, 100% chance shots having a chance to graze (a different mechanic than dodge in LW2) and other such things. Essentially, they seem to respond to statements like Jade's of "you should never leave things to chance" by thinking "if it is possible to not leave things up to chance, there is ultimately no challenge because you can just use what is reliable. Therefore, nothing should be reliable, this means it is impossible for things to not be up to chance, and this maximizes challenge". You can kinda see where the line of thinking comes from, nothing being reliable does make things harder, but to a lot of people it turns out that's just kinda really goddamn annoying.

Wait, for some reason I thought this was the Lp thread, hence my comment about Jade Star. Oh well, still an XCOM thread, so the comment is still mostly relevant, the fact that Jade Star has nothing to do with this thread does not change the rest of my statement about how the Long War people hate reliability.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 15, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

fadam posted:

I haven't played this since launch, but I'm going to give LW2 a try. Any tips on getting started?

Don't bother, wait until the DLC, it seems to do most of the stuff that's actually good in LW2 without all the tedious bullshit they jammed in there just because.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

fadam posted:

Read up on some stuff on the lw forum and tweak the inis to ur preference. theres some UI mods that help show off the stupid hidden mechanics. hav fun dude

Fuzz posted:

Don't bother, wait until the DLC, it seems to do most of the stuff that's actually good in LW2 without all the tedious bullshit they jammed in there just because.

the most important thing, however, is never listen to goons who got pwned by the mod.

its far from perfect dont get me wrong, but it's definitely much better than the base game rn.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Also don't listen to people who sing Long Wars praises because they're broke brain weirdos who enjoy pointless busywork.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

But what if he is a broke brain weirdo who enjoys pointless busywork?

Seriously though, LW isn't for everybody.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Ya dude, the singing praise of telling you to edit the inis and install UI mods to tailor it to your own personal preference.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

keep being a bitter Games weirdo tho :p

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
XCOM 2: BROKE BRAIN MOUNTWHEN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Long War (chat) never changes.