Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

drgitlin posted:

The new A8 looks great in person, easily the best looking one since the original D2. The revised Virtual Cockpit is even better, and MMI Touch is a better touchscreen interface than even Volvo's Sensus or Tesla's thing. The haptic feedback is very good.

There'll be a long writeup over at Ars tomorrow.

The black panels are a total fingerprint magnet though.

Are you thinking of the '17 A8 or the '18 A8 revealed above? Those pictures are loving lame. The grill looks 100% ripped from an Elantra as was said. The proportions look better on an A4 even though it's a worse car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

Are you thinking of the '17 A8 or the '18 A8 revealed above? Those pictures are loving lame. The grill looks 100% ripped from an Elantra as was said. The proportions look better on an A4 even though it's a worse car.

I wonder if you know who you're quoting.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Michael Scott posted:

Hey, guess where I was yesterday? I'll give you a clue, it was somewhere in Spain.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

drgitlin posted:

Hey, guess where I was yesterday? I'll give you a clue, it was somewhere in Spain.

Lol, indeed I did not pay attention to who I was quoting. I'll trust your judgement Dr Git, guess that was a terrible render. Because I like Audi. :shobon:

Excited for the Ars piece!

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 13, 2017

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I wonder if you know who you're quoting.

Some lame pharmacist? :iamafag:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Audi showcased that taillight and grille design back in early 2014 with the Prologue concept.

The front and rear light start up sequence is cool though.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 13, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

God that concept looks so much better than the end result.

I'm the ring of chrome trim around the lower body of the car that looks very loving weird and out of place.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Both the concept and the real car look dumb. The weird fastback thing they have going with the trunk makes no sense and reminds me of those awful 1980s Lincolns with the fake spare tire in the back. I also dislike the Continental for the same reason.

The 7 series is the least bad looking of the new large sedans, I'll wait to see what the new Lexus LS looks like in real life but based on other Lexus stylign excercises it will probably be good.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
^^^^ I don't understand what you mean about the trunk.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 13, 2017

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Hyundai is making a 271hp version of the i30

Looks pretty sweet too

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Article says it's not coming to the US, so I guess gently caress you Hyundai.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

bull3964 posted:

well since the i30 has never existed in the US it would be weird if the hot version of it did on its own...

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

bull3964 posted:

Is the Elantra GT still a rebadged i30? Drivetrain swap, but leave it looking stock. Go race Focus RSs and STis and watch the butthurt flow.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The A8 tail lights remind me of the last Saab 9-5 but in a bad way.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I just had a rental Elantra GT for a week and that car needs a lot more than a better engine to be anything other than a white box commodity good.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

I believe we're getting the Veloster N though. No word on an Elantra GT N of course. From what I've read, they basically gave a guy they poached from BMW's M division a blank check for designing this so it might be alright.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm so happy that hot versions of "normal" cars are getting so popular.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Supposedly the new Elantra GT Sport is going to be pretty good. 201hp, optional electronic LSD, updated suspension, etc. Not super hot but maybe a competitor to the Fiesta ST and Civic Si? With cheap financing and a long warranty to boot.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I always forget that Hyundai has a pretty good rally presence in the WRC, I don't know why they don't try and advertise that more in the US. Race on Sunday, sell on Monday, etc.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

prom candy posted:

Supposedly the new Elantra GT Sport is going to be pretty good. 201hp, optional electronic LSD, updated suspension, etc. Not super hot but maybe a competitor to the Fiesta ST and Civic Si? With cheap financing and a long warranty to boot.

So far all mildly warm Hyundais drive like garbage but I really hope they finally get it right.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

So far all mildly warm Hyundais drive like garbage but I really hope they finally get it right.

I drive and have always driven poo poo tier cars so I really have no clue what I'm talking about. This review says it's good, but who knows.

dk2m posted:

I always forget that Hyundai has a pretty good rally presence in the WRC, I don't know why they don't try and advertise that more in the US. Race on Sunday, sell on Monday, etc.

Rally is really unpopular in North America isn't it?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

As a sport maybe, but the Evo and STI have been selling based on their rally pedigree since the beginning. Well that and the fast and the furious.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

All this talk about the a8 chrome strip and cosmetics and nobody even bothers mentioning it's completely self driving (as in hands off wheel go crawl in the back and smack the kids), so hey the future is kind of neat.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Pryor on Fire posted:

All this talk about the a8 chrome strip and cosmetics and nobody even bothers mentioning it's completely self driving (as in hands off wheel go crawl in the back and smack the kids), so hey the future is kind of neat.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yes but only up to 37mph, and we won't be getting that system in the US at launch. My 2000 word piece on the car should be live soon, will link it here when it's up.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah but only up to 37mph right? It'd be nice for being stuck in traffic. It wakes you up if you fall asleep but I don't think you need to keep your hands on the steering wheel or pay attention.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

prom candy posted:

Rally is really unpopular in North America isn't it?

It's one of those things that I feel could be a big hit in the US if it had the proper marketing and development on the local level.

at its core, hurling high powered monsters at ludicrous speeds through the woods is a very American thing to do.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Wistful of Dollars posted:

It's one of those things that I feel could be a big hit in the US if it had the proper marketing and development on the local level.

at its core, hurling high powered monsters at ludicrous speeds through the woods is a very American thing to do.

It's cool as hell and I think more people would be into it if they knew it existed. I have no idea how to keep up with it in Canada but I sure like playing Dirt Rally (right up until I rage quit)

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
For the average person, rally is nonexistent in the US. NASCAR is hugely better known even if it is dying commercially. If you showed rally to most people they would be like, "Oh that exists?"

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

davebo posted:

I don't think you need to keep your hands on the steering wheel or pay attention.

I really don't think telling people these are OK things to do is the right thing to do right now.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

prom candy posted:

It's cool as hell and I think more people would be into it if they knew it existed. I have no idea how to keep up with it in Canada but I sure like playing Dirt Rally (right up until I rage quit)

I've always thought it was really cool but I've never paid for sports channel packages on cable tv and have no clue when/where/if these things get televised here. It's the kind of thing I'd watch but wouldn't pay extra for, and what are the chances it'd ever get covered by the major networks?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

davebo posted:

Yeah but only up to 37mph right? It'd be nice for being stuck in traffic. It wakes you up if you fall asleep but I don't think you need to keep your hands on the steering wheel or pay attention.

Correct. Although idk about waking you up; if you don't respond to the audio and haptic cues it stops in the lane with the hazards on and calls the emergency services.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/07/meet-audis-new-tech-flagship-the-2018-a8-sedan/

I've recently had rides in highway speed level 3 technology demonstrators from Audi (https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/06/jack-the-autonomous-audi-came-to-dc-and-drove-us-around/) and Bosch (should be live tomorrow) and those are capable of pulling over to the side of the road if you don't take over when it tells you to. But the A8 doesn't have the right redundant systems to do that yet AIUI, and I also think it doesn't use an HD map. (Both the Audi and Bosch demo cars are closer to level 4 than level 3).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

prom candy posted:

there is good rally in the US just not WRC

hundred acre wood, now mount washington, etc

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

davebo posted:

I've always thought it was really cool but I've never paid for sports channel packages on cable tv and have no clue when/where/if these things get televised here. It's the kind of thing I'd watch but wouldn't pay extra for, and what are the chances it'd ever get covered by the major networks?

A good thing about watching rally for free is that the insane fans from the 80's now have video cameras and youtube accounts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeNEyeEMWlk

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The new Accord is out. Coupe is gone, but 2.0T + 6MT is true.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Wistful of Dollars posted:

They should make a pony car rally series. Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, etc. in the woods doing the Dukes of Hazzard thing.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

They should make a pony car rally series. Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, etc. in the woods doing the Dukes of Hazzard thing.

AutoX has CAM-C and CAM-T, both of those classes should absolutely be added to all rally governing bodies.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
IMO the biggest problem rally has in the US is that it seems, to me, difficult and expensive to film for TV in a way that captures the appeal. This might be something that can be addressed with technology, with cheaper cameras, drones, etc.

Rallycross was an attempt to fix this, bit it's obviously not the same.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I pine for the return of the Prelude. The earlier Accord coupes were cool (The 3G and 4G) but it always seemed pointless to me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Human Grand Prix posted:

I pine for the return of the Prelude. The earlier Accord coupes were cool (The 3G and 4G) but it always seemed pointless to me.

That segment is dead as The Soviet Union and about as likely to return.

Throatwarbler posted:

The new Accord is out. Coupe is gone, but 2.0T + 6MT is true.

I know I'm getting old because this poo poo looks very appealing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

quote:

The [2.0T] is paired with the first 10-speed automatic in a front-drive car and is also available with the six-speed manual transmission on the Sport trim. Conrad said currently about 4 percent of buyers opt for a manual and one in five Sport trim buyers choose it.

I'm surprised the manual take rate is still that high on the Accord. Last time I checked, there were as many manual sedans as there were manual EX-L V6 coupes on lots in Florida.

To my eyes, the new Accord manages to pull off a sportback look at the rear where the Civic sedan doesn't. But that unibrow on the front end is not good. Also notable: Honda put both a volume and tuning knob in the new Accord.