Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Sinteres posted:

As long as privilege politics get routinely deployed to basically mean 'it's okay when I mock you but not okay for you to mock me,' it's never going to move beyond preaching to the choir. Calling women you don't like bitches or sluts isn't great, but people post photoshopped pictures of Steve Bannon to make him look even more grotesque than really is, and Trump is attacked as an old fat piece of poo poo on a regular basis (oh no fat shaming!). Taking a bold stance against sexism when people attack Kellyanne for her looks is disingenuously out of context and/or elevating your single priority above how loving awful she is by turning her into some kind of victim. She's absolutely not, she just happens to look like a reanimated carcass.

Actually it's also bad to make fun of them on looks and to fat-shame Trump. Privilege should never mean it's OK to mock people in oppressive ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Scipiotik posted:

I feel like CNN is trying to be cute referring to it as a "Session" in their headline.

Good catch, maybe they have that but not strong enough to run with it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Health Care update, please. With the Cruz amendement, we're hanging by a thread. If Pence convinces the govenor, it's officialy over and millions will die. You guys can yell about Kellyanne Conway jokes, but we're on the edge of turmoil here and utter ruination of millions of lives.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Jaxyon posted:

Actually it's also bad to make fun of them on looks and to fat-shame Trump. Privilege should never mean it's OK to mock people in oppressive ways.

Oh cool a healthy at any size derail.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Data Graham posted:

"Oh yes, also Dori, Ori, and Nori were there"

"Oh, I forgot to mention, Bifur and Bofur were there too"

"Did I overlook Kili and Fili?"

"Well, you see... I didn't know if this Russian attorney had Clinton dirt, so I invited the newsboy. He didn't know anything. So I asked the fireman, the green grocerer, the butcher, the baker, huge nothingburger!"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Loucks posted:

Oh cool a healthy at any size derail.

Only if you absolutely must defend your Donald Trump is Fat jokes at any cost

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Health Care update, please. With the Cruz amendement, we're hanging by a thread. If Pence convinces the govenor, it's officialy over and millions will die. You guys can yell about Kellyanne Conway jokes, but we're on the edge of turmoil here and utter ruination of millions of lives.

Chicken Little loving strikes again.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

skylined! posted:

k however

can you describe to me the motive for making trump et al look even more grotesque

now can you do the same re:conway

yes there are those that will use every progressive self examination to exploit so what

I don't know why you'd think the motive is different in either case. We hate these people, so we mock them in every way. Their profile and positions of power make them larger than life, and our petty cruelty makes them smaller. Regardless of gender, being ugly is considered a bad thing; we even use the word ugly as a synonym for bad or mean when we talk about ugly arguments.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ThePeavstenator posted:

We do call bigotry out when we see it happening from our side, but the left isn't immune to it.

We're still allowed to mock people though. We call McConnell a turtle, we call Sessions a Keebler Elf, and Conway shouldn't be immune to that just because she's a woman. She holds a huge position of power and is responsible for disseminating a lot of false information. Don't make gendered insults obviously but shut up with the "so much for the tolerant left" concern trolling because someone said a politician looks ugly.

I don't think the crypt keeper has a specific gender

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Why aren't you bitching at the people continuing the derail by being sexist / rude to entire members of marginalized groups to everyone in earshot, some of whom surely have to hear those things way too often for it to be healthy? Why are you just yelling at the person who is neutrally pointing out a simple fact they observe? Why is it OK to also harm innocent bystanders in your attempts to attack evil people, who are definitely less likely to be reading the insults?

bc i figured he'd be smart enough to actually listen and wasn't just interested in trolling

now stop loving talking about this

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Covok posted:

True but nothing I can do I haven't already done, unless it's call the same senators over again, again

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm very sorry for cyberbullying fascists you guys.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

"Well, you see... I didn't know if this Russian attorney had Clinton dirt, so I invited the newsboy. He didn't know anything. So I asked the fireman, the green grocerer, the butcher, the baker, huge nothingburger!"

"But that Rohrbacker guy... he knew"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

skylined! posted:

k however

can you describe to me the motive for making trump et al look even more grotesque

now can you do the same re:conway

yes there are those that will use every progressive self examination to exploit so what

Conway's appearance probably comes up so often for a few reasons:

A) Tying women's worth to their appearance
B) Thinking anything goes because she's a bad person (See that ironic racism that Jaxyon was so kind to share with us)
C) Her obvious vanity (e.g. that picture she keeps of herself in a blue fur hood or whatever).
D) She ugly

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If you want a non-gendered, non-offensive way to mock the Trump rogues gallery, "mayonnaise golem" pretty accurately describes every person associated with him.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

True but nothing I can do I haven't already done, unless it's call the same senators over again, again

I mean I've been doing that too but my senator is Chuck Schumer and Kristian Gillibrand so it's probably pointless.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
its going to be funny when, in 2018, republicans hold precisely zero seats in the state of California because they're idiots

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

[a series of excerpts of her pieces that helped bring on the phenomenon she laments]

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Bicyclops posted:

Are you suggesting that Jeff Sessions is Judge Doom?

... Yeah, that fits.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Sinteres posted:

I don't know why you'd think the motive is different in either case

i don't know why you wouldn't

anyway good talk, ttyl

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If there were 8 people what are the odds we'll find out about who all 8 were.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I guess this is the new defense for Trump Jr:

https://twitter.com/brithume/status/885929021816676358

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Aves Maria! posted:

its going to be funny when, in 2018, republicans hold precisely zero seats in the state of California because they're idiots

no matter what they'll still hold a few seats out in the meth wastelands, I expect

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

TheScott2K posted:

[a series of excerpts of her pieces that helped bring on the phenomenon she laments]

It's sad when you spent an entire career in a particular world view that you imagine yourself as being included in, and the actual practitioners of that worldview sell you, your family, and everyone you cared about out

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

DaveWoo posted:

Yes, and in this analogy the Logan act is....

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

Brit Hume should be Trump's next lawyer

Covok
May 27, 2013

DaveWoo posted:

The term is conspiracy to commit a crime and is illegal.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

This is how people respond every time someone sees the light, and while I understand the impulse, it would be better to be charitable to allies of convenience in a time like this. If the threat today is uniquely terrible, we need everyone we can get, and trashing anyone who tries to join provides a disincentive for others to admit they were wrong. I get not wanting to help these people launder their past in the process, but they're still much better than the people who refuse to acknowledge today's reality at all.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Hollismason posted:

I'm not sure if that tweet about a reporter seeing Reince go into the building was real or not.

:google:

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/740919802533908480

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

If you want a non-gendered, non-offensive way to mock the Trump rogues gallery, "mayonnaise golem" pretty accurately describes every person associated with him.

Leave the Jews out of this, please

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Aves Maria! posted:

they self-segregated themselves from the state because "lol san franciscio gays" and "LA is a warzone" and "Hollywood amirite you guys"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Robot Hobo posted:

Are you suggesting that Jeff Sessions is Judge Doom?

... Yeah, that fits.

"No stoner can resist the old 'shave and a haircut' trick!"

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

DaveWoo posted:

The vault just ends up empty and everyone has piles of cash under their mattresses for... no apparent reason?

Guess we'll never know! :iiam:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

TheScott2K posted:

Brit Hume should be Trump's next lawyer

The only problem was that a bank was robbed to continue using that analogy.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

pillsburysoldier posted:

It's sad when you spent an entire career in a particular world view that you imagine yourself as being included in, and the actual practitioners of that worldview sell you, your family, and everyone you cared about out

Sad for her, maybe.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

skylined! posted:

i don't know why you wouldn't

anyway good talk, ttyl

I told you why I don't, but snipping all of the explanation out of my post sure does make you seem more reasonable!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

Yes, and in this analogy the Logan act is....

In this analogy no one has ever been prosecuted for conspiring to rob a bank.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Tarezax posted:

no matter what they'll still hold a few seats out in the meth wastelands, I expect

yeah, though the thought makes me laugh

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I just read through some of Brit Hume's twitter and I'm not sure he actually understands how to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Chilichimp posted:

they self-segregated themselves from the state because "lol san franciscio gays" and "LA is a warzone" and "Hollywood amirite you guys"

everyone's trying to escape!

they're not

• Locked thread