Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Observe and Report was marketed very similarly to Paul Blart but it's infamously not at all similar in tone. People were aghast when they went to see Observe and Report because they were expecting a light goofy comedy starring Seth Rogan, not an adaptation of Taxi Driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I saw this in the theater and the audience decided at this moment that we were watching a comedy. It's still one of the funniest death scenes in the history of film.

I was the only one in the theater who laughed out loud when Brad Pitt got creamed by the van in Meet Joe Black. I swear people were giving me the stinkeye but I thought it was hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mikj8eDKxMQ

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

syscall girl posted:

I was the only one in the theater who laughed out loud when Brad Pitt got creamed by the van in Meet Joe Black. I swear people were giving me the stinkeye but I thought it was hilarious.

Is there any context for this or is that just how the movie ends

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
how it begins

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Don't forget about the dueling biopics of Prefontaine that came out almost on top of each other in the late 90s

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Don't forget Jezebel in '38 and Gone With The Wind in '39.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

bows1 posted:

how it begins

I'm guessing it's all downhill from there

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Wikipedia has a big list of films with similar premises that come out at about the same time. Just this year we've got two films about Churchill and two films about the friendship between Tommy Wiseau and Greg Sestero. We also got a film about Operation Anthropoid last year and another one this year.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

whydirt posted:

Don't forget about the dueling biopics of Prefontaine that came out almost on top of each other in the late 90s

I've always wondered what in the hell was up with that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Wikipedia has a big list of films with similar premises that come out at about the same time. Just this year we've got two films about Churchill and two films about the friendship between Tommy Wiseau and Greg Sestero. We also got a film about Operation Anthropoid last year and another one this year.

1) only one of those movies is about Wiseau and Sestero, the other is just starring them and inspired by them.
2) the DP on the Disaster Artist is the older brother from the post-apocalyptic DDR movie.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Brad Pitt seems to have brain damage the rest of the movie

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

1) only one of those movies is about Wiseau and Sestero, the other is just starring them and inspired by them.
2) the DP on the Disaster Artist is the older brother from the post-apocalyptic DDR movie.

Paul Scheer (who plays the DP in Disaster Artist) is also in the other Wiseau/Sestero movie.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

whydirt posted:

Or the 80's body-swap comedy trifecta Like Father, Like Son, Vice Versa, and 18 Again

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's finally been some news about the new Saw movie, Jigsaw and it confirms that it will be a sequel to the last Saw movie and isn't a reboot or prequel.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

There's finally been some news about the new Saw movie, Jigsaw and it confirms that it will be a sequel to the last Saw movie and isn't a reboot or prequel.

As it should be. Say what you will about the Saw series, but the filmmakers always put effort into making each film feel like it was directly connected to what came before. It's basically a tradition of the franchise at this point, it'd be a shame to drop that now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is good. A huge part of what I love about Saw is the ridiculous ways they try to tie all the movies together. At this point you'd need to establish time travel or teleportation for half of it to make sense and now we're getting even more story they're going to cram into the timeline?

Sign me the gently caress up

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

syscall girl posted:

Strange, because my whole theater cackled.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Saw is awful and I wish death upon it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I want a Saw movie where everybody actually succeeds in their trial.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

It's a Fish Out of Water comedy where the displaced character is Death walking the earth, and it manages to be hella boring.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Probably the best product placement Laura Scudder's Peanut Butter ever got, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grendels Dad posted:

It's a Fish Out of Water comedy where the displaced character is Death walking the earth, and it manages to be hella boring.

It's also a 3 hour remake of a 90 minute film, not that surprising it's hella boring.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hey, remember Garden State's amazing soundtrack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vx8a8REDMc

:haw:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I want a Saw movie where everybody actually succeeds in their trial.

I want to say the last movie made it a thing where pretty much every survivor of a Jigsaw thing ended up working for him. Including Cary Elwes' character.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And Cary Elwes apparently ate his own foot.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Skwirl posted:

There's a lot of them.
Antz and A Bug's life
Deep Impact and Armageddon
Mission To Mars and Red Planet.
The Raid and Dredd
Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line
Michael Fassbender and Ashton Kutcher both playing Steve Jobs.

1989 had the underwater weirdness. Deepstar Six, The Abyss, Lords of the Deep, Leviathan

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CelticPredator posted:

Saw is awful and I wish death upon it.

movies cannot die

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

1989 had the underwater weirdness. Deepstar Six, The Abyss, Lords of the Deep, Leviathan

The Abyss was a drat good movie.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
Let's not forget these two:

Friends with Benefits (2011) : A young man and woman decide to take their friendship to the next level without becoming a couple, but soon discover that adding sex only leads to complications.

Aaaaand

No Strings Attached (2011) : A guy and girl try to keep their relationship strictly physical, but it's not long before they learn that they want something more.

I thought I was going crazy seeing the trailers for these. "...isn't this already out and has Justin Timberlake not Kelso?"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cythereal posted:

The Abyss was a drat good movie.

agreed, hella excellent

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Great Burrito posted:

Let's not forget these two:

Friends with Benefits (2011) : A young man and woman decide to take their friendship to the next level without becoming a couple, but soon discover that adding sex only leads to complications.

Aaaaand

No Strings Attached (2011) : A guy and girl try to keep their relationship strictly physical, but it's not long before they learn that they want something more.

I thought I was going crazy seeing the trailers for these. "...isn't this already out and has Justin Timberlake not Kelso?"

What's hilarious is Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis are in different ones of this movie, and now married with 2 kids.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cary Elwes should have been a bigger star. There should be 20 more movies of him doing swashbuckling stuff.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

At World's End and This is the End

After Earth and Oblivion

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Casimir Radon posted:

Cary Elwes should have been a bigger star. There should be 20 more movies of him doing swashbuckling stuff.

Agreed.

There were the two Truman Capote biopics - one was good and one was not so good, from my understanding.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Skwirl posted:

What's hilarious is Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis are in different ones of this movie, and now married with 2 kids.

Whoa it seems like only yesterday that Ashton was the strangely young stepfather of Bruce Willis' kids. Now he has two of his own? That's madness.

Also I would have thought Mila Kunis could do better than that guy but whatever, if she's happy that's ok.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kunis and Kutcher have probably been dating on and off since That 70s Show.

Tye Sheridan, the kid who was Cyclops, wearing a familiar-looking outfit in the first photo from Ready Player One.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Al Borland Corp. posted:

This one was hella confusing when i was in my seat and it felt like id transversed dimensions when the film finally started.

quote:

After Earth and Oblivion

Was not as confusing, Scientology has their propaganda pieces focused.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Al Borland Corp. posted:

After Earth and Oblivion

I don't remember any Pirates in the Franco/Rogan movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't remember any Pirates in the Franco/Rogan movie.

poo poo. THE World's End

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

poo poo. THE World's End

poo poo: The World's End sounds like the title of one of those late 90s/early 00s Japanese zombie movies like Toilet of the Dead or whatever.

• Locked thread