Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

mcmagic posted:

Wait, so you can't have negative life?

No, he's saying that having negative life won't make Death's Shadow bigger. Death's Shadow gets "-X/-X where X is your life total," and with the old rules that basically read, for example with -2 life, "-(-2)/-(-2)" or "+2/+2." You can see why the change will affect the combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is Dismember on an attacking Wild Beastmaster still a blowout?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Serperoth posted:

You can, but it doesn't make Death's Shadow any bigger.

That is super bullshit.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Entropic posted:

Is Dismember on an attacking Wild Beastmaster still a blowout?

6/27/2017 If this creature’s power is negative as its ability resolves, X is considered to be 0. (This is a change from previous rulings.)

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I'm glad that a fairly intuitive and mathematically sound mechanic has been changed to allow for fewer interesting interactions while also making the mechanic less intuitive.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 14, 2017

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

Bottom Right hand corner.

I still don't see it. But then I'm phone posting.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Entropic posted:

I still don't see it. But then I'm phone posting.

It has a 4/4 printed

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm glad that a fairly intuitive and mathematically sound mechanic has been changed to allow for fewer interesting interactions while also making the mechanic less intuitive.

its a fairly dumb change yeah. at least deaths shadow isnt played or anything...wait

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
lol if you care about an opponent playing proxies/counterfeits

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

its a fairly dumb change yeah. at least deaths shadow isnt played or anything...wait

I mean, it's a stupid change, but no one plays DS with Phyrexian Unlife but that one guy's friend

Elyv fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 14, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Elyv posted:

I mean, it's a stupid change, but no one plays DS with Phyrexian Unlife

Yeah but it's literally any interaction where X is negative. It's like where removal spells have had the "creature opponent controls" text more often in the name of making the game easier to understand. What it actually does is make the rules more complicated because it keeps adding exceptions and it eliminates unintended interactions that new players don't even think about at first but later can lead to cool lines of play.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

Yeah but it's literally any interaction where X is negative. It's like where removal spells have had the "creature opponent controls" text more often in the name of making the game easier to understand. What it actually does is make the rules more complicated because it keeps adding exceptions and it eliminates unintended interactions that new players don't even think about at first but later can lead to cool lines of play.

Yeah I agree, I was just objecting to that one comment.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

I mean, it's a stupid change, but no one plays DS with Phyrexian Unlife but that one guy's friend

i saw it on cam at SCG once or twice, cuz i remember an announcer explaining the interaction

but it's not just DS/Phry Unlife, DS has a bunch of weird interactions with "you can't lose the game" effects too so I can see this coming up casually a (relatively) lot

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

"We want a less homogeneous metagame!"

*Publishes less data, showing fewer interesting brews*
*Eliminates weird corner case interactions that a deck could be built around*

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 14, 2017

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Gonna chime in and say that this is a weird rule change that fixes apparently nothing to make the game less intuitive.

Like, what, were we worried about some new build of Ad Nauseum that won by flinging a Death's Shadow or something?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

When I first learned how to play I was told that the golden rules of magic included one unwritten one: follow all text on the card as literally as possible. It made it much easier to understand weird interactions I had never seen before. Eliminating the weird interactions where you interpreted the card as literally as possible would have actually made it harder to learn the game IMO.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Seems more intuitive to me :shrug:. I always assumed that the rules were already this way, until I saw the old Wild Beastmaster ruling.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
They're trying to get away from the GOTCHA moments. poo poo like Oblivion Ring triggers stacked weird and such. I love those weird interactions because of the fact that you can make stupid decks that catch people. I know it's boring to explain the rules as to why you just softlocked your opponents with a Teferi/Possibility Storm but gently caress you I want to do it anyway.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I do like wins though

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

En Fuego posted:

They're trying to get away from the GOTCHA moments. poo poo like Oblivion Ring triggers stacked weird and such. I love those weird interactions because of the fact that you can make stupid decks that catch people. I know it's boring to explain the rules as to why you just softlocked your opponents with a Teferi/Possibility Storm but gently caress you I want to do it anyway.

The gotcha stuff was actually really useful when I started playing though. It helped me learn the rules when I first started because it really hammered home the idea that "cards do exactly what they say" which I could use to make decks with interactions that I figured out on my own.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

ShaneB posted:

I do like wins though

Yeah but if you take pride in winning because you beat someone at an LGS tourney where they're playing a Tier 2.5-3 deck and you're playing a Tier 1 (because you can afford it and they can't) you're kind of a grognard

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Serperoth posted:

You can, but it doesn't make Death's Shadow any bigger.

But would Phyrexian Unlife ever let you have negative life? Wouldn't you have 0 and poison markers? Is there some way to get negative life and then play an enchantment without triggering a game end?

(I assume so, since this was apparently a viable combo, but I don't know how.)

Edit:
I guess if you had Platinum Angel, got negative life, then played PU, and then killed the angel?

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 14, 2017

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Yeah but if you take pride in winning because you beat someone at an LGS tourney where they're playing a Tier 2.5-3 deck and you're playing a Tier 1 (because you can afford it and they can't) you're kind of a grognard

That's completely different than somebody using fake cards.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Flip Yr Wig posted:

But would Phyrexian Unlife ever let you have negative life? Wouldn't you have 0 and poison markers? Is there some way to get negative life and then play an enchantment without triggering a game end?

(I assume so, since this was apparently a viable combo, but I don't know how.)

It makes you take damage as poison counters; however life loss continues to accumulate.

edit: Watch a stream or two of Ad Nauseam to see the interaction.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Let's read the card! :eng101:

(Just kidding. I'm not that much of an rear end in a top hat. The card says "damage", loss of life is different).

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

odiv posted:

Let's read the card! :eng101:

(Just kidding. I'm not that much of an rear end in a top hat. The card says "damage", loss of life is different).

Gotcha! I think just learned this in another context, though I don't remember what.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Also with Unlife, if someone deals more damage than your life total from a single source, you'll end up in negatives.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If an affinity opponent is using fake glimmervoids so obvious they have 4/4 on them I'm not gonna feel guilty about it.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Is affinity a tier 3 deck now? Also like the assumption that he or she is playing a tier 1 deck not that it actually has any bearing on the matter.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Pontius Pilate posted:

Is affinity a tier 3 deck now? Also like the assumption that he or she is playing a tier 1 deck not that it actually has any bearing on the matter.

Affinity is always stuck in a quantum metagame where it is both a Tier 3 and 1 deck until the sideboards in the room have been observed.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ShaneB posted:

If an affinity opponent is using fake glimmervoids so obvious they have 4/4 on them I'm not gonna feel guilty about it.

That was more of my point. If someone is dumb enough to play with proxies with glaring mistakes like that then its kind of open season. The funny thing is that you really don't notice the glaring mistake unless you are already trained to see it. Also keep an eye out for trades.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Pontius Pilate posted:

No, the point is that they have to use counterfeits in order to afford a T1 deck. There's no way I'd even notice the 4/4 if I were playing against that, and even if I did, I wouldn't call them out on it. I don't really feel the need to act as an inspector for WotC, and I'd rather see people being able to play the deck they want than to throw a tantrum over who printed the cardboard sitting across from me.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Brownhat posted:

That's completely different than somebody using fake cards.

It's not.

Anyone who uses proxies in a tournament does so (I'm assuming 95%) because they don't have the real life cash to fund the deck they want. Even if I had a Tier 1 deck myself I wouldn't give a poo poo about someone playing me with their Affinity deck that was 90% made up of fake cards. I'd rather play the good match ups vs. playing a bunch of Tier 2 and 3 level decks because those people can't afford the real cards. I do have a problem if they turn around and try to trade those cards for store credit or sell them knowing their fakes

Same thing in Legacy if I played it. Hell, most people you play Legacy with now at your local stores I would bet 50% of their deck is fake.

Yes, I understand those particular Voids are horrendous as hell but if you're someone who'd actually care enough to call a judge so you could get a free win you're still a grognard

Pontius Pilate posted:

I think you missed the point

ShadeofBlue posted:

No, the point is that they have to use counterfeits in order to afford a T1 deck. There's no way I'd even notice the 4/4 if I were playing against that, and even if I did, I wouldn't call them out on it. I don't really feel the need to act as an inspector for WotC, and I'd rather see people being able to play the deck they want than to throw a tantrum over who printed the cardboard sitting across from me.

This is the point

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

ShadeofBlue posted:

I wouldn't really call it a tantrum to call a judge on obvious fakes at a competitive event.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Can we all agree that it's a funny card?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

I wouldn't really call it a tantrum to call a judge on obvious fakes at a competitive event.

I'd call it angle shooting

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Fake card arguments are like tip arguments. I wish we lived in a world where proxies were accepted and that servers weren't reliant on tips. Since I don't live in that world, don't half-rear end proxies and make sure you tip when you go out to eat.

Seriously though, I'd rather play four rounds of people playing with B&W printed proxies than against random draft leavings thrown together to make a deck because some cardboard costs $20 a pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Mtg: Proxy a card, unbookmark this thread: Gain a life