Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Get a 3DS and you can play IV, V, VI, VII, VIII and IX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Man I still need to go through Phoenix Wright 6 on my 3DS.
If only my commute wasn't just 20 minutes. :v:

I don't think i'd ever get through my backlog if i played all the DQ games

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

In Training posted:

I like Dragon Quest 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and 8. I haven't played 9 yet

I haven't played any of them, so I guess Dragon Quest Builders is my favorite of them all.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Still a strong pick

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The best Dragon Quest game is that Fortune Street on Wii with Dragon Quest characters.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

irlZaphod posted:

Get a 3DS and you can play IV, V, VI, VII, VIII and IX.

Owning a cellphone gets you access to DQ 1-6 and 8. Not sure if they ever did a mobile port of 7.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BGrifter posted:

Owning a cellphone gets you access to DQ 1-6 and 8. Not sure if they ever did a mobile port of 7.

The 3DS version got ported to phones but only in Japan as of right now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah but then you have to play on a phone

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah but then you have to play on a phone

I played most of 5 on my phone and it was fine.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Uh, PSN all of the sudden is not recognizing my e—mail as a valid one. Is that normal?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Uh, PSN all of the sudden is not recognizing my e—mail as a valid one. Is that normal?

Do you have 2FA turned on? If it's not I'm guessing you got hacked.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do you have 2FA turned on? If it's not I'm guessing you got hacked.

No, I don't have nothing turned on and I was playing fine a couple of hours ago. What can I do? :ohdear:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Get with Sony support and pray.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Jose Oquendo posted:

Get with Sony support and pray.

I will never doubt Sony's customer service ever again, they fixed my issue real fast.

Man, that was a pretty big scare.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Turn on 2fa!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

There’s no reason not to do it. You’re a big dumb dumb if you don’t turn it on.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Echoing two things: Sony support was amazing for an issue I had some time ago and you should absolutely have 2FA on. The only excuse is ignorance and that's out now. Turn it on when you have control again.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I recovered control of my account awhile back and I just activated 2FA.

I wasn't aware of it to be honest. Thanks for the advice guys.

Argento
Feb 19, 2004

Ladies, I'm back
Lipstick Apathy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Glad it worked out. Spread the word.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Awesome. The only bad thing about 2FA is that not enough people have heard about it. Given how much account hacking is a thing these days it feels like it should be an opt out thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Be prepared to get text messages at weird hours of the night with login confirmation codes you didn't ask for.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

Awesome. The only bad thing about 2FA is that not enough people have heard about it. Given how much account hacking is a thing these days it feels like it should be an opt out thing.
That and also 2FA over SMS is insanely hackable, they really need to get their poo poo together and support real 2FA soon

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

soon is like 5 years from now on psn update timescale.

like 100% chance that ps5 launches on the exact same service they have now

teamjack
Apr 1, 2010

Only Judy can judge me.
WWJD.

Thanks guys! I had no idea this was even an option.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

teamjack posted:

Thanks guys! I had no idea this was even an option.

the PS4 thread had its title changed back to "turn on 2fa" a while ago but it didn't last long

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
What's a "real 2FA"? Out of all the websites that had any kind of security other than a single password, just one used something other than text messages, and that was a security token, very unwieldy and long since lost, so I can't even log in anymore.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Szurumbur posted:

What's a "real 2FA"? Out of all the websites that had any kind of security other than a single password, just one used something other than text messages, and that was a security token, very unwieldy and long since lost, so I can't even log in anymore.
Something that requires you to have a separate device with special software installed, so you'd have to have that physical device to do it. Like the fairly standard Google Authenticator app, or the Blizzard Authenticator or Steam app on your phone. They could use their own PSN app, or something new, but they don't. I think Microsoft let you use the Google Authenticator for their stuff.

Phone OS's will have the functionality built-in before long, I'm sure, so I hope Sony jump on that.

A lot of places default to text messages purely out of convenience but a lot will let you use a (much more secure) app instead.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 17, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mostly just a system that generates passwords offline rather than just sending you a code out of band. It probably doesn't matter for a freakin PSN account, but too many weird things can happen with SMS 2FA that its a red flag up there with "stores password in plaintext" and "no SSL certificate" that if my bank insisted on it I'd probably be looking for a new bank. Everyone should just be using HOTP or TOTP at this point tbh, they're standards and let people just use whatever authenticator they want whether its a phone app or a dongle.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I buy all my games on disc. Go ahead and hack me, fuckos.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I buy all my games on disc. Go ahead and hack me, fuckos.

-breaks into house, steals your PS4 games, trades them all to Gamestop for $8 credit total-

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

univbee posted:

-breaks into house, steals your PS4 games, trades them all to Gamestop for $8 credit total-

I'm the sad panda now.

edit; maybe they'll hack my account and start downloading all the soccer games i've been wanting

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

That and also 2FA over SMS is insanely hackable, they really need to get their poo poo together and support real 2FA soon

Not challenging this or anything, but what are the SMS risks? Wouldn't they have to ultra target me specifically to intercept my phone sms messages and then successfully have my psn password? Or is there some other risk I'm missing? Which is almost certainly true.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Ape Agitator posted:

Not challenging this or anything, but what are the SMS risks? Wouldn't they have to ultra target me specifically to intercept my phone sms messages and then successfully have my psn password? Or is there some other risk I'm missing? Which is almost certainly true.

If you keep playing Master System games there's a risk you'll end up playing Alf.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

elf help book posted:

If you keep playing Master System games there's a risk you'll end up playing Alf.

I just looked up that on YouTube and holy hell, I'm deleting my phone and setting fire to my psn to avoid that.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ape Agitator posted:

This Wired article gives a basic explanation of the vulnerabilities, and potential mitigations for them, in Signaling System 7, the protocol for routing SMS messages across disparate networks (like between carriers or countries - and your carrier is probably a merger of several cell networks internally).

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
TOTP, ftw.

To be fair, I'd much rather have this solution than the nothing we had before.
But yeah... SMS-based authentication is still pitiful.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

dont be mean to me posted:

This Wired article gives a basic explanation of the vulnerabilities, and potential mitigations for them, in Signaling System 7, the protocol for routing SMS messages across disparate networks (like between carriers or countries - and your carrier is probably a merger of several cell networks internally).

Thanks for knowledge!

Still seems like an unlikely worry for something as low value as a single psn account. Their example of hitting a bank account really seems like the right effort v reward.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Hmm, I'm still not worried, but I suppose if Sony wanted to upgrade the security, they have many ways to do so.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The texts they're sending now are simple six-digit numbers, instead of including both cases of Latin-1 letters, so maybe they're leaning toward adding TOTP/HOTP support.

I just hope they don't make people use Authy or some other cloud authenticator bullshit if they don't want to risk being textjacked.

Yes, this is a direct shot at Humble (of Bundle fame).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

dont be mean to me posted:

The texts they're sending now are simple six-digit numbers, instead of including both cases of Latin-1 letters, so maybe they're leaning toward adding TOTP/HOTP support.

I just hope they don't make people use Authy or some other cloud authenticator bullshit if they don't want to risk being textjacked.

Yes, this is a direct shot at Humble (of Bundle fame).

Weird, theyre sending me strings of letters (both lower and upper cases) and numbers, is it a regional difference (I'm in EU)?