Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
also jobs corps can build infrastructure and capital in economically depressed areas that makes it so there is something in a place where there once wasn't. government has the ability to put down initial capital outlays to develop places where extractive private capital firms haven't helped create an economy that helps its citizens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/amybwang/status/885977007087128576

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

So you just want the poor people who can't find jobs to move somewhere else and fine one? Jeez, I wonder why that's not a compelling argument.

The idea that we can't create employement opportunities in WV is absurd.

What employment opportunities do we build in WV, and why do we expect that companies forming the basis for these opportunities will be competitive? It's not easy to just sprout up a new economic basis for a state, and there aren't really clear opportunities in West Virginia. The money that would be required to do this, would probably be more effective at helping people if used elsewhere.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Haha so funny, poor people aren't cultured. What a jokester you!

Who said I was joking?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't understand what this means, but I think you're like five posts away from pulling a pupper master thing, anyway.

when i was a young boy

i wanted to be the pupper master

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/886016754471903232
https://twitter.com/DannyAbir/status/886016810335707136

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't understand what this means, but I think you're like five posts away from pulling a pupper master thing, anyway.

You are way too dense to puppet master

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

someone better than me at russian tell me if this sentence makes sense:

лента ссаки -- существующий

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Despera posted:

Oh I'm sorry I hurt your marxist sympathys on a humor website

Despera posted:

Who said I was joking?

Oh darn I have been puppetmastered again! You actually do believe West Virginians are less cultured than animals.

OctaMurk posted:

What employment opportunities do we build in WV, and why do we expect that companies forming the basis for these opportunities will be competitive? It's not easy to just sprout up a new economic basis for a state, and there aren't really clear opportunities in West Virginia. The money that would be required to do this, would probably be more effective at helping people if used elsewhere.

Where do you get the presumption that the money would be better spent elsewhere? We blow tons of money attracting factories and subsidizing industries, why can't we spend some in WV not on coal? poo poo there's enough reclamation work to be done, that can employ a bunch of people while improving environmental quality.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

establishing new trade schools

tourism, parks, hospitality

loving walmart

like this poo poo aint rocket science bro

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

skylined! posted:

loving walmart

Tourism? Parks? Place is an industrial wasteland

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Despera posted:

You are way too dense to puppet master

What? No, I was saying you were gonna spring a "haha! I was being a moron on purpose" thing on us.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What? No, I was saying you were gonna spring a "haha! I was being a moron on purpose" thing on us.

No I still believe you all are the morons

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
so the answer to the problems of the rural poor, is GIVE THEM MONEY AND BUILD poo poo FOR THEM TO USE.

wow. a truly revolutionary idea. lets have a vote on it.

oh, 65% of them voted against it. welp, now what?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

All you gotta do is tell them this:
извините, я не говорю по-чеченски

Many hours of War Thunder has all but guaranteed it'll get a rise out of native Russians.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Despera posted:

No I still believe you all are the morons

Surprise, you're posting on a forum full of West Virginians.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
HEY GUYZ I LIVE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SAHARA? WHY CANT I GET A JOB?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

looks good to me

google translate says "taping belt - existing" so yea, perfect

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Despera posted:

Said someone who has clearly never been there.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Despera posted:

HEY GUYZ I LIVE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SAHARA? WHY CANT I GET A JOB?

Saharan people have transported salt and other goods across the desert for millennia.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

so the answer to the problems of the rural poor, is GIVE THEM MONEY AND BUILD poo poo FOR THEM TO USE.

wow. a truly revolutionary idea. lets have a vote on it.

oh, 65% of them voted against it. welp, now what?

Break their propaganda machine and do it again.

When all this Russia stuff finally ends all the people who screamed "Nothing is going on" in the face of overwhelming evidence is going to have to get their due.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee%96Tombigbee_Waterway#Economic_impact

quote:

When completed the Tenn-Tom waterway’s total cost was $1.992 billion, including non-federal costs, which led some political and economic commentators to deride the Tenn-Tom waterway as "pork-barrel politics at its worst.”[5] For the first few years after its creation these criticisms appeared somewhat valid...

The 1988 drought, however, closed the Mississippi River and shifted traffic to the Tenn-Tom canal.[8] This coincided with an economic turnaround on the Tennessee-Tombigbee corridor, wherein trade tonnage and commercial investment have increased steadily over several years.

The two primary commodities shipped via the Tenn-Tom are coal and timber products, together comprising about 70 percent of total commercial shipping on the waterway.[11] The Tenn-Tom also provides access to over 34 million acres (140,000 km2) of commercial forests and approximately two-thirds of all recoverable coal reserves in the nation.

According to a 2009 Troy University study, since 1996 the United States has realized a direct, indirect, and induced economic impact of nearly $43 billion due to the existence and usage of the Tenn-Tom Waterway, and it has directly created more than 29,000 jobs.[11]

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Despera's plan is to send a crate to every town in Virginia, each one filled with fortune cookies whose fortune reads "LEARN HOW TO CODE."

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

Despera's plan is to send a crate to every town in Virginia, each one filled with fortune cookies whose fortune reads "LEARN HOW TO CODE."

I really just want verification that he's an engineer so we can wrap this whole thing up.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Despera posted:

that hasn't stopped jersey

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

No, it doesn't make sense, and I can't even guess at what you're going for.

Edit: err, figured out what you meant, but I don't even know if you can noun that verb like that. It's still ungrammatical, though, at least the last word should be
"сушествует". Also I am not certain the usage of tape is correct...

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 15, 2017

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Said someone who has clearly never been there.

I've been. Quite a few times. Wouldn't recommend it.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Saharan people have transported salt and other goods across the desert for millennia.

That might work if we hadn't invented the truck, the train, and the airplane.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

OctaMurk posted:

Extend the Corridor H all the way to Capon Bridge and push for VA to extend I-66 to parallel 55.

This will build up areas like Deep Creek Lake and make skiing towns like Elkins much easier to reach.

Continue moving coal workers into wind energy, it's picked up in the panhandle but I didn't see it much out near Greenbriar county.

With wind power a factor in the state, use it to compete with Dominion Power to house data centers. You can also use old mines that would House them and save companies tons in infrastructure costs.

With that, you'd get tech jobs. Investing large scale optical backbones through the mountains will also pay off.

WV is fantastic to visit, but sucks to live in. There should be more of a push for tourism, better routes for tourists to get there, and more commercial friendliness over the good-ol-boy system that pushes out corporations other than Walmart.

Also: destroy the shithole towns of Moorefield and Petersburg.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I dunno if it's still a thing, but "rural-sourcing" stuff like call centers was very much in vogue a few years back. Call centers can be anywhere, and people like talking to Americans.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Better than no solution aka yours.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I really just want verification that he's an engineer so we can wrap this whole thing up.

To be fair, a good CS program is closer to math than engineering.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

All you gotta do is tell them this:
извините, я не говорю по-чеченски

Many hours of War Thunder has all but guaranteed it'll get a rise out of native Russians.

Я очень рад называть твоего пацана шлюхой в чечене

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

OddObserver posted:

No, it doesn't make sense, and I can't even guess at what you're going for.

ah ok, i was trying to go for "piss tape is real" but i used a combination of google translate and wiktionary to do it so i'm not surprised it's gibberish

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

skylined! posted:

Я очень рад называть твоего пацана шлюхой в чечене

:discourse:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

ah ok, i was trying to go for "piss tape is real" but i used a combination of google translate and wiktionary to do it so i'm not surprised it's gibberish

Видео с мочой существует

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Despera posted:

Better than no solution aka yours.

oh just gently caress off, you low effort troll.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

oh just gently caress off, you low effort troll.

If "move somewhere with jobs" is trolling, guilty as charged.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/886015376173268992

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

skylined! posted:

loving walmart

ok let's build an entire education system, new industry and convince a bunch of companies to move to the area. not hard at all!

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh darn I have been puppetmastered again! You actually do believe West Virginians are less cultured than animals.

Where do you get the presumption that the money would be better spent elsewhere? We blow tons of money attracting factories and subsidizing industries, why can't we spend some in WV not on coal? poo poo there's enough reclamation work to be done, that can employ a bunch of people while improving environmental quality.

It's not 'blowing money' to attract factories and industries, because those are jobs that tend to pay reasonably well, have stable hours, benefits and opportunity for advancement. Factories and industries are not something easily placed anywhere given that they need customer industries to serve as well as easy access to supplies and workers. WV doesn't have a supply of trained workers, doesn't have the best infrastructure, and doesn't seem to have an existing notable industrial base,. Building a better education system to produce trained worked is time consuming, building infrastructure is expensive and time consuming, and convincing companies to move to the middle of nowhere with nobody and nothing is a difficult proposition.

I probably sound like a total rear end in a top hat, but what's the plan here to rebuild the economy in WV? It's probably cheaper and would lead to better outcomes if we just give these people a minimum income so they can get by and decide to either figure things out themselves or move out.

edit: didn't see that somebody bothered to actually post a plan. Nice.

[quote]

OhDearGodNo posted:

Extend the Corridor H all the way to Capon Bridge and push for VA to extend I-66 to parallel 55.

This will build up areas like Deep Creek Lake and make skiing towns like Elkins much easier to reach.

Continue moving coal workers into wind energy, it's picked up in the panhandle but I didn't see it much out near Greenbriar county.

With wind power a factor in the state, use it to compete with Dominion Power to house data centers. You can also use old mines that would House them and save companies tons in infrastructure costs.

With that, you'd get tech jobs. Investing large scale optical backbones through the mountains will also pay off.

WV is fantastic to visit, but sucks to live in. There should be more of a push for tourism, better routes for tourists to get there, and more commercial friendliness over the good-ol-boy system that pushes out corporations other than Walmart.

Also: destroy the shithole towns of Moorefield and Petersburg.

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

skylined! posted:

Видео с мочой существует

"Video with piss exists." Word

• Locked thread