Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Srice posted:

I know it might not be what you're looking for but have you tried A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

I read this and got bored after the first couple chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was a good attempt, Srice.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

El Burbo posted:

its like the only thing they come with so i'm thinking they'll be individually pretty cheap (so you buy both)

lol I wasn't even being serious, clearly I've underestimated the anime collectibles market

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

a kitten posted:

Here's a look at how they localised the Akira manga the first time that might offer some insight.
https://www.comicsgrid.com/articles/10.16995/cg.59/

Good god, what a lot of extra work went into this stuff back in the day.

This is a super interesting article and I suspect it's the correct answer, thanks so much! I'm trying to work out when it was first translated by VIZ here because normally they don't mirror and it seems like a recent translation. Weird!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

What else would they have? Nendos gotta have the accessories.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

an actual dog posted:

What else would they have? Nendos gotta have the accessories.

Well I would have given them phones at least

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

StandardVC10 posted:

lol I wasn't even being serious, clearly I've underestimated the anime collectibles market

To be fair, it seems like that was the most iconic scene from the movie. It's at least the most referenced.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Right! That totally jogs my memory! (I barely remember anything from Wonder Woman, and I saw that like 2 weeks ago :negative:).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

It was a good attempt, Srice.

Thank You.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

And yeah, I don't mean to sound autistic, but I want to stick with shows that are as good or better than the manga because I hate watching something knowing that it isn't the best version of it. Are there a lot of anime that are better than the manga?

I heard Ping Pong was based off a manga and I'm just gonna assume the anime is better than the source material.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Halfway through what's currently available of Made in Abyss. Freaky.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

And yeah, I don't mean to sound autistic, but I want to stick with shows that are as good or better than the manga because I hate watching something knowing that it isn't the best version of it. Are there a lot of anime that are better than the manga?
The anime for Blast of Tempest is better than the manga. The anime is really good, it just had the miserable misfortune of airing in the same season as Psycho-Pass, Shin Sekai Yori, The Pet Girl of Sakura Dormitory, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and HOLY poo poo, Fall 2012 was really good for anime!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ssy was pretty ignored in the season it aired iirc

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Really? That was a little before I joined, but I was AMPED for it at the time. Kamisama Kiss, Say "I Love You", My Little Monster, the final arc of Kokoro Connect, Kintama. There were at least 10 anime shows I was following. Man, that season ruled.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Really? That was a little before I joined, but I was AMPED for it at the time. Kamisama Kiss, Say "I Love You", My Little Monster, the final arc of Kokoro Connect, Kintama. There were at least 10 anime shows I was following. Man, that season ruled.

i mean adtrw is only a very, very, very small portion of anime fandom at large. also it looks like it didn't even manage to drum up a thread back when it aired.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

dogsicle posted:

i mean adtrw is only a very, very, very small portion of anime fandom at large. also it looks like it didn't even manage to drum up a thread back when it aired.

Was Zorak's description of it something along the lines of "this show is trash for pedophiles?" I mean, I remember it being relatively popular on /a/ at least.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
One of my students in the field today was really downtrodden, said she didn't believe she could get the field area done.

I said I believed in her, she replied, "well, i don't believe in myself."

I shot off, "Don't believe in yourself. Believe in me who believes in you!"

My life is complete, I have won.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

AnoHito posted:

Was Zorak's description of it something along the lines of "this show is trash for pedophiles?"

well, that was his description of all shows

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Was Zorak's description of it something along the lines of "this show is trash for pedophiles?" I mean, I remember it being relatively popular on /a/ at least.

nah, he was optimistic about it based on the key visuals looking good and the book having a good reputation.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cake Attack posted:

I think he genuinely enjoyed Log Horizon and Nichibros?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oops https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3510559

anyway for some reason i had the idea the show was passed over by outside of sa discussion

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

One of my students in the field today was really downtrodden, said she didn't believe she could get the field area done.

I said I believed in her, she replied, "well, i don't believe in myself."

I shot off, "Don't believe in yourself. Believe in me who believes in you!"

My life is complete, I have won.

:3: Good work

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

A plane flew overhead and obscured the second half of the anime quote, so she only heard that she shouldn't believe in herself.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Finished Death Parade recently, thought it was pretty neat

anyone else waiting for season 2 or ehhhhhhhh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

the only non pedophile show ever made is slayers - zorak on his podcast, i think

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/aestheticsweeb/status/886022439523803136

:same:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

My favorite anime are:

One Piece
Parasyte
Kill La Kill
One Punch Man
Dragon Ball Z
Attack on Titan

I tried to get into the Hunter x Hunter anime, but it was too slow and uneventful. Is the manga better than the anime?

Rage of Bahamut imo

http://i.imgur.com/YeQadqu.gifv

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 15, 2017

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Missing Name posted:

Finished Death Parade recently, thought it was pretty neat

anyone else waiting for season 2 or ehhhhhhhh

It was decent. I liked Death Billiards, the original Animation Death Parade was based on a little bit more, though. And yeah, there was a lot of set-up for a season 2, considering they barely touched on the bartender's big deal. But what we got was also fine, I feel.

Also be sure to see the Live Action OP made by the actual band that sings it, Bradio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VJ0-iR5ArA

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

RME
Feb 20, 2012

you're
you're welcome?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Endorph posted:

the only non pedophile show ever made is slayers - zorak on his podcast, i think

lol you listened to the zorkast

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

slayers is really good but i'm sure pedos watch it too, zorak

at least a quarter of the jokes are about lina's chest

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also to the person that just discovered crunchyroll or whatever, time for you to watch Barakamon

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

More like Bakamon.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Waffleman_ posted:

More like Bakamon.

My favorite Digimon

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

lol you listened to the zorkast

Can't wait for dick spacious to finally be on the zorak cast

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

El Burbo posted:

Can't wait for dick spacious, cpa to finally be on the zorak cast
FTFY :colbert:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

since the voice actor for zorak/moltar died i feel like people should not be allowed to call themselves zorak out of respect

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvCgD-0yWyo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

EmmyOk posted:

This is a super interesting article and I suspect it's the correct answer, thanks so much! I'm trying to work out when it was first translated by VIZ here because normally they don't mirror and it seems like a recent translation. Weird!

It was first localised as 'Black & White' in Viz's long defunct Pulp magazine in the early 2000's when flipped manga was the norm.

• Locked thread