Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pixar should do more Kurosawa adaptations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A Bug's Life has an interesting element in that the inventor is probably the worst possible demonstrator of his own inventions given he's too clumsy to use them properly.

And Hopper is a pretty great villain. "Rule number one of being in charge: everything is your fault." And knowing entirely the moment the ants realise they can just gang up on the grasshoppers, they're turbofucked. It's a great communist movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

And Hopper is a pretty great villain. "Rule number one of being in charge: everything is your fault." And knowing entirely the moment the ants realise they can just gang up on the grasshoppers, they're turbofucked. It's a great communist movie.

For a second there, I forgot that this was the villain's name and was wondering how I could forget Dennis Hopper was in the movie.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's good, but it's no Mr. Bug Hoppity Goes To Town

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Martytoof posted:

I'm the one guy on earth who actually likes Bug's Life most, out of Pixar's lineup.

There's no such thing as a wrong opinion. But in a world where Wall-E exists this walks the line.

(I was trying to think of the worst Pixar movie and settled on Cars 2, only to realize that I had forgotten Good Dinosaur existed. I swear that movie is like an object permanence experiment)

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Ratatouille is the best Pixar movie and it's not even close.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

dirksteadfast posted:

There's no such thing as a wrong opinion. But in a world where Wall-E exists this walks the line.

(I was trying to think of the worst Pixar movie and settled on Cars 2, only to realize that I had forgotten Good Dinosaur existed. I swear that movie is like an object permanence experiment)

You know you hosed up when Cars 2 is the better movie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

dirksteadfast posted:

I was actually like this with Bug's Life, not that it was a bad movie, just that I would forget that it exists a lot of the time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Antz does kind of steal a lot of its thunder with being way more daring in a lot of ways. Ant Seven Samurai vs Ant Starship Troopers.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Disney/Pixar movies I keep forgetting exist:

• A Bug's Life
  • Tarzan
  • Dinosaur
  • Home on the Range
  • Meet the Robinsons
  • Brave
  • Big Hero 6
  • The Good Dinosaur

What's funny is that at least half of those movies are actually good, so I don't quite get why I mentally keep thinking Disney went straight from Frozen to Zootopia when they very obviously didn't. (I still haven't seen Meet the Robinsons or The Good Dinosaur to judge them, but my understanding is the former is good and the latter really isn't.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Unmature posted:

Yeah.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

What's funny is that at least half of those movies are actually good, so I don't quite get why I mentally keep thinking Disney went straight from Frozen to Zootopia when they very obviously didn't. (I still haven't seen Meet the Robinsons or The Good Dinosaur to judge them, but my understanding is the former is good and the latter really isn't.)

Meet the Robinsons is an odd duck. It doesn't feel or look like a Disney movie at all, despite being very heavily based on Walt's philosophy towards the future. I hesitate to call it "good", more so "better than most people imagine".

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

Disney/Pixar movies I keep forgetting exist:

• A Bug's Life
  • Tarzan
  • Dinosaur
  • Home on the Range
  • Meet the Robinsons
  • Brave
  • Big Hero 6
  • The Good Dinosaur

Good Dinosaur is okay. It's kind of ephemeral, but it's very pretty, and has a message that I think a lot of parents need to hear (let your kid be their own person instead of trying to force them into things).

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

dirksteadfast posted:

Meet the Robinsons is an odd duck. It doesn't feel or look like a Disney movie at all, despite being very heavily based on Walt's philosophy towards the future. I hesitate to call it "good", more so "better than most people imagine".

I always saw it more as a Disney animated throwback in the style of The Cat from Outer Space, Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo, Million Dollar Duck etc.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Every time I'm at the toy store I see unsold piles of Good Dinosaur merchandise that will probably never have a home. It's sort of tragic.

To be honest, I'm still a bit grossed out by Arlo's scrawny legs and swollen knees and feet. They just don't sit well with me.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

In retrospect I probably should have added Lilo & Stitch, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Treasure Planet and Brother Bear to that list as well, since I'm guilty of forgetting them all the time.

Of those, I'd probably rank my interest in 'em as Atlantis > Lilo & StitchTreasure Planet >>> Brother Bear. I'm not sure whether I'd put Lilo & Stitch or Treasure Planet up on top of one another (though I'm leaning Lilo, since that film seems to have remained in public consciousness a lot longer over the years), though I tend to forget about them the most, collectively. I have no doubt that I dug Atlantis the most of the lot (being pitched as "Disney attempts the style of Batman: TAS" certainly doesn't hurt it in my book), and Brother Bear the least (I mean, it was okay, but at the same time I'm not really falling over myself to see it again).

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I liked what Atlantis tried to do, but the pacing really did not do it any favors for the massive cast they had, and felt like it would've worked far better as a mini-series, but people just didn't do animated mini-series at the time.

And it just kind of bother me that the Atlanteans are literally the same people who got sunk with the city (given Kiara was a little girl), and yet without any explanation they somehow forgot how to operate anything.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Unmature posted:

This is the correct answer.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I remain unrepentant. Bug's Life or bust :colbert:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think Lilo & Stitch is way better than Atlantis. It's like a remake of ET with more aliens and a bigger focus on Lilo's home life. It's also one of those movies that tells two very different stories depending on how old you are; Lilo's adventures with Stitch is what all the kids will remember, but Nani's struggles to keep their home life together are a lot more relatable when you're older. At least I found it to hit harder on my last viewing than it did when I watch it as a kid.

I'd say give it a rewatch and try to pay attention to what everyone who isn't Lilo and Stitch are doing.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/DisneyAnimation/status/885891674940915716

Spoilers from the panel:

Marvel and SW in Wreck it Ralph 2...

"They actually go to a Disney website, OhMyDisney.com. It's filled with Disney characters, including Marvel and Star Wars

There's even a booth where users (shown as little blockheaded people) can transform into their favorite characters. We see a bunch of people become Marvel characters, including Stan Lee?

"So Tsum Tsums are little furry sausages with faces?" Vanellope asks at one point.

Every Disney princess ever walks back in a massive crowd!

Vanelleope wants to go mess with the Princesses, but they've entered a door guarded by (actual Star Wars) Stormtroopers"

"Vanellope enters with her glitch powers. While the footage has been very rough, this is fully rendered! We see 3D animation versions all the Disney princesses

Vanellope tries to convince them that she's also a princess, but they don't believe her at first.

"Were you imprisoned in a castle?" "Where you poisoned?" "Did a sea witch take your voice?"

Merida's accent is so strong no one can understand her.

"She's from the other studio," says one of the Princesses

C-3PO enters and tells them Princesses they are needed

"We'll be right there, R2!" says Ariel.

"You know he hates being called that," says Cinderella. "We'll be right there, BB-8""

The jokes in the Princess scene are so dense, I didn't even catch them all. It's fantastic. Lassetter says that the Princesses are their original voices, including Jodi Benson as Ariel, Wing Na Wen as Mulan and Idina Menzel as Elsa!"

characters supposedly in Ralph 2
-Ariel
-Merida
-Pocahontas
-Tiana
-Rapunzel
-Belle
-Cinderella
-Jasmine
-Ariel
-Elsa
-Mulan
-3PO
-R2
-Anna
-Stan Lee
-Moana
-Buzz

all voiced by their original voice actors and all the princesses were on stage together.

Looks like they are going in a very different direction.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hoooly poo poo :lol:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Also of note:

Incredibles 2: June 15th, 2018.
Ralph Wrecks the Internet: November 21st, 2018.

I suspect these dates may have already been known, but if so, reposting 'em for posterity.

Also, that spoiler-tagged scene above may be the first time in an actual Disney film that we've seen princesses from the different franchises interact in any meaningful fashion. I mean, I guess they kinda-sorta had that happen in Kingdom Hearts, though their conversations with one another aren't related to the player in any capacity (just their dialog directly to Sora), but that's a video game, not a Walt Disney Animated Canon film.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Ratatouille just does nothing for me, it would be on my list of forgettable movies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Stan Lee is my favorite Disney Princess.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

starkebn posted:

Ratatouille just does nothing for me, it would be on my list of forgettable movies.

This is tragic :negative:

Ratatouille and Inside Out would take equal first place for my favourite Pixar movie, I think.

That Wreck It Ralph 2 news sounds awesome :aaa:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Inside Out was so overhyped for me that it could never have lived up to how my friends described it. I don't hate it, I'm very indifferent on it. I remember Rattatouille being very good but very forgettable. I actually forgot all about Wall-E despite being in love with it a while back so hey, maybe I'll say I'm a good 60/40 Bug's Life/Wall-E here.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I guess wreck it ralph is going from video game movie to Disney advertisement movie now huh?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Pixeltendo posted:

I guess wreck it ralph is going from video game movie to Disney advertisement movie now huh?

It's continuing the deep dive into being directly marketed to me and I'm ok with that. Hoping for some sweet Parks jokes.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

Also of note:

Incredibles 2: June 15th, 2018.
Ralph Wrecks the Internet: November 21st, 2018.

I suspect these dates may have already been known, but if so, reposting 'em for posterity.

Also, that spoiler-tagged scene above may be the first time in an actual Disney film that we've seen princesses from the different franchises interact in any meaningful fashion. I mean, I guess they kinda-sorta had that happen in Kingdom Hearts, though their conversations with one another aren't related to the player in any capacity (just their dialog directly to Sora), but that's a video game, not a Walt Disney Animated Canon film.

I haven't seen much more than brief snippets of the show but Sophia the First supposedly interacts with a number of princesses, they might have had a few episodes with multiple ones interacting together though I can't attest to that being a thing that ever actually happened.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
gently caress this loving hell world

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Cheapsteaks posted:

Every time I'm at the toy store I see unsold piles of Good Dinosaur merchandise that will probably never have a home. It's sort of tragic.

Yet no swag love for Zootopia.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Zero One posted:

https://twitter.com/DisneyAnimation/status/885891674940915716

Spoilers from the panel:

- snip -

Looks like they are going in a very different direction.

I love how loving bonkers this sounds

On a different note:

https://twitter.com/MMagazineComics/status/885354199474556928

:psyboom:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

LeJackal posted:

Yet no swag love for Zootopia.

:sympathy:

No fuckin way :aaaaa:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Don't look at the rest of the guy's tweets, but god drat I never even made the connection. I notice the poster, but.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Robindaybird posted:

I liked what Atlantis tried to do, but the pacing really did not do it any favors for the massive cast they had, and felt like it would've worked far better as a mini-series, but people just didn't do animated mini-series at the time.

And it just kind of bother me that the Atlanteans are literally the same people who got sunk with the city (given Kiara was a little girl), and yet without any explanation they somehow forgot how to operate anything.
When Atlantis did things right it did it really good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdGuZicUPts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgldZnwiaWg

Shadow Hog posted:

In retrospect I probably should have added Lilo & Stitch, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Treasure Planet and Brother Bear to that list as well, since I'm guilty of forgetting them all the time.

Of those, I'd probably rank my interest in 'em as Atlantis > Lilo & StitchTreasure Planet >>> Brother Bear. I'm not sure whether I'd put Lilo & Stitch or Treasure Planet up on top of one another (though I'm leaning Lilo, since that film seems to have remained in public consciousness a lot longer over the years), though I tend to forget about them the most, collectively. I have no doubt that I dug Atlantis the most of the lot (being pitched as "Disney attempts the style of Batman: TAS" certainly doesn't hurt it in my book), and Brother Bear the least (I mean, it was okay, but at the same time I'm not really falling over myself to see it again).
I feel bad for Treasure Planet since it was Ron Clements passion project that took over a decade to get made and didn't really do all that well in the box office.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

:glomp:

My pain is soothed by friends like you.

Nice new AV by the way.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

LeJackal posted:

:glomp:

My pain is soothed by friends like you.

Nice new AV by the way.

:3:

I didn't buy this one for myself, someone in the Fabgoons thread did. I wouldn't be this... on the nose :sweatdrop:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Robindaybird posted:

I mean, they kinda tried, with the sequel anyways. It was supposed to be a show, but they ended up cramming them together to make a movie. I thought that actually worked pretty well, and I'd love to see some more stories about how Atlantean tech or artifacts effected the rest of the world.

And speaking of underwhelming sequels, I watched the Brave Little Toaster sequels the other night for the first time in about 15 years or so. While nowhere near as good or memorable as the original, they are actually pretty decent films. Although, much like anything, the computer stuff they try to put in there is hilariously dated.

Also, something I definitely didn't notice as a kid: Computer titties:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

I feel bad for Treasure Planet since it was Ron Clements passion project that took over a decade to get made and didn't really do all that well in the box office.

I loving love Treasure Planet and I'm always sad when I remember how badly it did.

Especially for all the animators that worked on Silver because THAT poo poo is loving magical