Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

orange juche posted:

That is a bad and shameful thread.

It's some entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Inzombiac posted:

I think HP trains are kinda required. Some of those bosses are impossible to solo. I pity anyone getting into the game without a good guild. Even more for when/if those trains dry up in favor of newer content.

Not at all.

On my first character i had 250 HP's in 4ish hours, and every successive character got faster and faster. On my last few characters i got it done in about an hour. Experience in knowing what order to go in and which are easily soloable, easy to get help for etc helps, as well as masteries, but it is perfectly doable without a HP train on your first character; just do some research and ask in map chat. My playtimes are EU while i play on US realms and i never had problems finding people to do the difficult hero points with.

I did a HP train with pubbies on one of my characters and i found the experience unbearable. It took loving forever, we are talking several hours, because people would just not listen to instructions or DCd or fell off the edge or whatever. Most of those people wouldn't be able to find sand in Saraha.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Lonk posted:

I'm sorta back from the dead, is OP updated?!?

You too?

I have to say, I absolutely adore the Dynamics Exosuit...

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

It's morphin' time!

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Next expansion title revealed.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Make sure you refresh this a couple times if you don't like the title and want a better title.

I Am Frick fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 14, 2017

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
And new fractal.

https://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2/videos/10154990588569209/

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

I Am Frick posted:

Make sure you refresh this a couple times if you don't like the title and want a better title.

This thing must be hooked to a dictionary or something, the word list is truly astounding. I got Penes of Fleshiness.

EDIT: Pledge of Fetus

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

What's the weapon for the next Ranger elite specialization anyway?

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

frajaq posted:

What's the weapon for the next Ranger elite specialization anyway?

dagger iirc

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Supposedly the third hit of the dagger autoattack deletes your ranger and rolls a thief

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:siren: Expansion name has been leaked!!! :siren:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"Pug of Forties". This raiding poo poo is going off the rails.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Looks like they're finally raising the cap on chef to 500.

xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.

:allbuttons:

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Seems about right

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

A fagot is a bassoon so that's a very musical title!

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!
Also "Platypus of Frostiness", as the Claw of Jormy fight gets a makeover.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
So, uh, I haven't played this game for a couple of years (shortly before HoT released.) What happened ever since? Is game good?

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Game took a weird turn, the entire Heart of Thorns expansion ended up being some weird date sim where you try to get with Scarlet Briar. The living story 3 content has all been about settling down and raising a family. Gone are the adventures, it's all kids and working two jobs to keep food on the table. It's all leading to the LS3 climax which is Scarlet has been banging Braham on the side which sets up the new expansion Procession of Farewells in which you undergo a bitter divorce and nasty custody battle.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
But seriously, I came back after a similar hiatus (played through half of one HOT zone then faded away) and I've been having a ton of fun with it. HOT zones can be rough until you get some of the masteries but all those metas are pretty fun, there's new PvP and WvW participation rewards, a new fractal system and the LS3 zones are solid.

I started setting my own goals and suddenly feel like there's too much to do rather than feeling like there's too little.

Atari teenager
May 29, 2008
Are they gonna raise our character levels (rendering all our gears obsolete) with new expansion or just add Masteries like HoT did?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Atari teenager posted:

Are they gonna raise our character levels (rendering all our gears obsolete) with new expansion or just add Masteries like HoT did?

Judging from the leak, just masteries. There was a mastery for each of the different mounts. The mounts are also the likely subject of new PiC specific legendary

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they know for a fact that if they raised the level then people would riot. they're absolutely never going to do that

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

they know for a fact that if they raised the level then people would riot. they're absolutely never going to do that

That and they never have to put any more effort into new armor models if all they are doing is expanding horizontally and buffing/nerfing effects on existing poo poo.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I tried to download the game last summer but I couldn't remember my username and password! I think I had a level 50 mesmer. I had an elementalist too that was kinda neat. I'd kinda like to play again. I think I'd like to start from scratch and level new guys. I need to re-download the client and pick up the expansion. Elder scrolls online didn't do much for me.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vandalism posted:

I tried to download the game last summer but I couldn't remember my username and password! I think I had a level 50 mesmer. I had an elementalist too that was kinda neat. I'd kinda like to play again. I think I'd like to start from scratch and level new guys. I need to re-download the client and pick up the expansion. Elder scrolls online didn't do much for me.

If you can remember what any of your character names, email, birthday etc is you can recover your account info from anet.

ESO's story is better dude, just saying. Don't come to Guild Wars for narrative coherence, come for asura butts

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

orange juche posted:

If you can remember what any of your character names, email, birthday etc is you can recover your account info from anet.

ESO's story is better dude, just saying. Don't come to Guild Wars for narrative coherence, come for asura butts

I seldom care about a game's story. I spam click through all the dialogue ~90% of the time.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I read all the dialogue at least once, in case there's something only mentioned in conversation that's intended as a clue for the mission/quest, but I skip all spoken lines after I've read them and not being able to is a living hell with the new ingame cinematics

Say what you will about the old immersion breaking conversation dimension, you could skip it if you wanted

(I used to read all the books in Morrowind too, but there are only so many hours in the day)

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I read it quickly and then the speech is still going so I click through at that point.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Illuyankas posted:

I read all the dialogue at least once, in case there's something only mentioned in conversation that's intended as a clue for the mission/quest, but I skip all spoken lines after I've read them and not being able to is a living hell with the new ingame cinematics

Say what you will about the old immersion breaking conversation dimension, you could skip it if you wanted

(I used to read all the books in Morrowind too, but there are only so many hours in the day)

I would take immersion breaking conversion with the ability to skip over the current system. Words cannot express how much I hate cutscenes in video games.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Story lines in MMOs are dumb because we kill world bosses, dragons, save Tahir...etc on a regularly scheduled basis.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Lt_Tofu posted:

Story lines in MMOs are dumb because we kill world bosses, dragons, save Tahir...etc on a regularly scheduled basis.

That's why I can't get into them, the repetition. Also, in ESO the quests are written like your player character is the sole savior of the world while there are all these other guys running around doing the same thing.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Considering how many people just skip the dialogue it was really funny when ANet removed the human female idle animations because they felt it makes it look like the player is bored with their enthralling storylines .... well, sometimes I yawn too when I have watch the NPC's yammer on and on about their relationships in GW2.

I think the personal story had the right idea, you could skip the talking heads, but the story had some good parts too. Living story has pretty much gotten worse and more stupid the longer it has gone on. I'm hoping we could just get some kind of a clean slate, abandon all this nonsense about "our" guild and recruiting awful guild members and just go adventure and hopefully meet some new, interesting characters.

vandalism posted:

That's why I can't get into them, the repetition. Also, in ESO the quests are written like your player character is the sole savior of the world while there are all these other guys running around doing the same thing.

Well, in GW2 there are awfully many Commanders of the Pact and also everyone is running with the "main storyline" NPC's. I think LoTRO did this really well - in the story you are sort of following the "hidden" stories of the Fellowship and doing stuff that relates to them but often not directly - well, at least when I played it years ago. There's plenty of room for random heroes who help the peoples of Middle-earth and fight alongside the main characters.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 15, 2017

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

TeaJay posted:

Considering how many people just skip the dialogue it was really funny when ANet removed the human female idle animations because they felt it makes it look like the player is bored with their enthralling storylines .... well, sometimes I yawn too when I have watch the NPC's yammer on and on about their relationships in GW2.

I thought it was a triple reason: that, and shoulder armor clipping, and something something too sexy.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

TeaJay posted:

I think the personal story had the right idea, you could skip the talking heads, but the story had some good parts too. Living story has pretty much gotten worse and more stupid the longer it has gone on. I'm hoping we could just get some kind of a clean slate, abandon all this nonsense about "our" guild and recruiting awful guild members and just go adventure and hopefully meet some new, interesting characters.

Need more drunk norn/charr joyriding.

Seriously.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Erdricks posted:

Need more drunk norn/charr joyriding.

Seriously.

imo the whole story should have been an all-in joke fest, it's already a joke but they needed to double down on that instead of being all serious about trying to kill a dragon

"she died but we will ensure she didn't die in vain" should have been replaced with "she's dead and there's no waypoints in story instances, i'm sorry but... she'll have to wait for a rez"

credit for slaying zhaitan should have been shamelessly taken by lord faren in an attempt to get laid and the drunk norn/charr partybus should have randomly shown up in other storylines to resolve plot points

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

where the red fern gropes posted:

imo the whole story should have been an all-in joke fest, it's already a joke but they needed to double down on that instead of being all serious about trying to kill a dragon

"she died but we will ensure she didn't die in vain" should have been replaced with "she's dead and there's no waypoints in story instances, i'm sorry but... she'll have to wait for a rez"

credit for slaying zhaitan should have been shamelessly taken by lord faren in an attempt to get laid and the drunk norn/charr partybus should have randomly shown up in other storylines to resolve plot points

Even if you don't go full comedy option, there were a lot of good and interesting personal story stages that didn't rely on the melodrama treadmill. Thinking about Asura magic eight ball, the Malyck sylvari line, etc...

fake edit: for the record, I am totally fine with full comedy option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The Sylvari storyline should have had some Blackadder in, to go along with lifting from Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and misappropriating Occam.

• Locked thread