Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
The front end of the new Accord is hideous. It has been for a couple years but they made it even worse with a larger chrome strip. What the hell is wrong with people?

The sedan segment is dying, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Michael Scott posted:

The front end of the new Accord is hideous. It has been for a couple years but they made it even worse with a larger chrome strip. What the hell is wrong with people?

:haw:

Mazda did it better and happier. Honda sucks for cars. Their bike are alright.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Except the new CRV looks hideous as well.

Honda's doing some cool stuff tech-wise but holy gently caress does the whole lineup look nasty nowadays.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

The new Accord is out. Coupe is gone, but 2.0T + 6MT is true.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I know I'm getting old because this poo poo looks very appealing to me.

:same:

Godzilla07 posted:

Also notable: Honda put both a volume and tuning knob in the new Accord.

TTAC posted:

Infotainment is controlled through an 8-inch touchscreen that — and Honda was careful to mention this — includes a physical volume knob. That particular announcement garnered more applause from the crowd than almost anything else. If you’ve ever tried to use the horrendous slider on most late-model Hondas, you know exactly why this is so important. Without being hyperbolic, we can state that this may be the single best change made to the new Accord.

I'm not a turbo-4 person, but the fact it's got a stick, a knob and cooled frickin' seats puts this thing on my potential future list. Let's be honest, that 2.0 should be good for 300 hp with a tune.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
New Civic, just base Civic not talking Si or R here, looks busy and over....angular to me.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Except the new CRV looks hideous as well.

Honda's doing some cool stuff tech-wise but holy gently caress does the whole lineup look nasty nowadays.

The best selling crossovers so far this year are the Rogue, CR-V, and RAV4.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Michael Scott posted:

Oh my god what did they do

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
honda/acura derp headlights strike again

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Monkey Fracas posted:

New Civic, just base Civic not talking Si or R here, looks busy and over....angular to me.

The new Civic really is just an absolute mess visually and neither the Si or Type R do anything to fix it and the R makes it even worse. Walked out of work the other day to the full side profile of my coworkers Type R and drat near shuddered.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Michael Scott posted:

How can a designer look at that and go, yep, I did good.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CornHolio posted:

How can a designer look at that and go, yep, I did good.

Actually, a whole committee of designers looked at that and said, yep, we did good.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

It's like a Subaru Legacy, but uglier. Which is a spectacular accomplishment.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Deteriorata posted:

Actually, a whole committee of designers looked at that and said, yep, we did good.

Who said design by committee works?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I think it looks pretty good. Well aside from those wheels, ughhh

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The accord will continue to sell a whole bunch just like most cars here that people declare irredeemably ugly.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

big money big clit posted:

The accord will continue to sell a whole bunch just like most cars here that people declare irredeemably ugly.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Well yeah, if you buy an Accord nowadays, you're probably only buying it due to 20 years of brand reputation so it honestly doesn't matter what it looks like anymore

Early malaise era GM cars sold as fast as they could make them, too.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

The best selling crossovers so far this year are the Rogue, CR-V, and RAV4.

Cheap and the smallest thing with a third row option, mostly coasting on name (although the interior space in the CRV is pretty good) and completely coasting on name.

I guess the problem with the CX5 is that it's for the people who care about cars and driving in a segment where that doesn't matter at all, but the new one dunks on all of these things.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

There, i fixed it.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

To be fair it'll probably look better in a different color.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Cheap and the smallest thing with a third row option, mostly coasting on name (although the interior space in the CRV is pretty good) and completely coasting on name.

I guess the problem with the CX5 is that it's for the people who care about cars and driving in a segment where that doesn't matter at all, but the new one dunks on all of these things.

Girlfriend is shopping in exactly this segment and the CR-V is most definitely competitive. The powertrain is smooth, the suspension is relatively compliant without being super soft and wallowy, and the interior feels a size bigger than the CX-5. I prefer the CX-5 and so did she, but there are very good reasons why someone would choose the CR-V. The other two aren't great, comparatively, but they are fine for what most people want out of the segment, and out of cars in general.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Well yeah, if you buy an Accord nowadays, you're probably only buying it due to 20 years of brand reputation so it honestly doesn't matter what it looks like anymore

Early malaise era GM cars sold as fast as they could make them, too.

What should they be buying instead?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

There, i fixed it.

Ah, yet another disaster saved by the tasteful application of consummate Vs

it.... might actually look better like that

fknlo posted:

The new Civic really is just an absolute mess visually and neither the Si or Type R do anything to fix it and the R makes it even worse. Walked out of work the other day to the full side profile of my coworkers Type R and drat near shuddered.

Seeing it in person I thought "oh ha ha they really went nuts with the new Si; must be debadged" but no that's just the car. That's just the car!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Deteriorata posted:

Our cars look too fat because of retarded pedestrian safety laws. What can we do to make them look less fat? Well, we need to make them look wider because they're enormously tall. OK, then, horizontal lines make things look wider, so stick a full-width chrome bar on the front and back.

This is also why that Audi had the same horizontal chrome bar on the front and back, and indeed pretty much every new sedan design

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Our cars look too fat because of retarded pedestrian safety laws. What can we do to make them look less fat? Well, we need to make them look wider because they're enormously tall. OK, then, horizontal lines make things look wider, so stick a full-width chrome bar on the front and back.

This is also why that Audi had the same horizontal chrome bar on the front and back, and indeed pretty much every new sedan design

As someone who's almost been nailed twice by inattentive drivers, I'm pretty appreciative of those 'retarded' pedestrian safety laws. They're not bad when it feels like half the drivers on the road at any given time are drunk or texting. The autonomous future can't come fast enough for most drivers sit seems.

Are Accords generally pretty good long-legged roadtrip cars? Ye Olde hatchback is somehow less appealing when family obligations bring many-houred journeys to your lifestyle unexpectedly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

This is four years ago and on the prior generation for each, but the difference in handling between the CX-5 and CR-V really isn't large. The CX-5 is the best handling crossover in its segment, but that is not saying much.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The new A8 is like one inch taller than the 1997 a8. The accord is an inch and a half or so taller than its 20 years ago predecessor.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Who said design by committee works?

Management

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The new A8 is like one inch taller than the 1997 a8. The accord is an inch and a half or so taller than its 20 years ago predecessor.

The front end is taller, not so much the roof.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MarsellusWallace posted:

As someone who's almost been nailed twice by inattentive drivers, I'm pretty appreciative of those 'retarded' pedestrian safety laws. They're not bad when it feels like half the drivers on the road at any given time are drunk or texting. The autonomous future can't come fast enough for most drivers sit seems.

Are Accords generally pretty good long-legged roadtrip cars? Ye Olde hatchback is somehow less appealing when family obligations bring many-houred journeys to your lifestyle unexpectedly.

Agreed, pedestrian safety laws are good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's not a hatchback anyway, it's got a fixed rear glass and normal trunk.

I think if you replaced the big ole chrome bit with something less blingy it would look fine.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

My GF drove an Avalanche, and the other day in complete seriousness said she likes the looks of the Element... And the Aztec.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ilkhan posted:

My GF drove an Avalanche, and the other day in complete seriousness said she likes the looks of the Element... And the Aztec.

She sounds cool, keep her around

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd agree with her, except for the aztec. That shits ugly.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Dunno if you guys have noticed but the Aztec doesn't stick out anymore. It's too conservative.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KakerMix posted:

Dunno if you guys have noticed but the Aztec doesn't stick out anymore. It's too conservative.

It was a rolling loving abortion when it came out, but holy poo poo have the OEMs gone for broke with the max-ugly in the past decade. Aztec was simply ahead of its time.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Aztec wasn't crazy; it was ahead of the curve.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Remember a few years ago when the Accord looked like this?

A bit bland? Sure, but at least it didn't make you recoil in terror whenever you looked at it.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Isn't the Rogue only on that best seller list because of fleet sales?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
It's spelled Aztek you jerks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Volvo just released info on their new vehicle. Diesel with compound turbos, RWD, automated manual, enough space to sleep in the back and comes in brown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J_9W6fMZFM

Also has apple carplay, refrigerated drivers seat, the bed turns into a recliner, sleeper up to 77 inches. Unfortunately the interior bits still seem to be made out of recycled tupperware.