Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Do you think some of the finest urban infantry we've ever produced would debase themselves and their fine establishment to act as a taxi service?

What kind of world do you perceive. There were black 'looters' to be shot

Pretty sure it was the cops blasting blacks, not the servicemembers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Danzinger Bridge incident

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

did natty guard have ammo

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Now spend a minute or two thinking what any Katrina-level situation will look like in the next three and a half years under the benevolent and steady guiding hand of someone who won't even know/care it's happening beyond what he can tweet about it on the shitter. Who by the way has specifically and purposefully gutted the manpower of agencies under him.

poo poo will go pear shaped, fast.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

It was a weird shitshow. Feds slow to act, local government slow to ask.

I talked to a 68 year old family friend who'd ridden out every storm since childhood. "Never again" was his mantra after Katrina. Also it killed a couple family members. At least they'd lived a full life.

E: Aside from some weird police murders including the infamous bridge and one off events , the idea of firefights in the streets was massively overblown.

I spent some time doing reconstruction work in the Lower Ninth Ward in 2008, three years after the hurricane.

Every person I talked to who had been there during Katrina had a hosed-up story. One guy I talked to almost drowned in his mother's attic, but found a hatchet and chopped his way out through the roof.

A white guy who lived near the Lower Ninth had a humvee's .50 and several M-16s trained on him outside of his own home because the guardsmen thought he was a looter because he wasn't black.

More than a few people told me that more than a few deaths that got attributed to the flooding were actually people settling old neighborhood scores. The cops weren't going to spend a lot of time trying to figure out why this set of semi-skeletal remains found in the overgrown thicket that used to be a house's foundation had an entry wound in the skull or marks on the ribs from a knife.

One of the things that really delayed NOLA's recovery was contractor fraud. People would get the insurance payout to rebuild or remodel their homes and hire a contractor, only to have them disappear the second they got any money, or disappear in that 15 minute window after they got paid and before their shoddy work completely fell apart. Some of the homes that I worked on were on their second, or even third, reconstruction.

Katrina was really an eye opener for me in terms of learning how lovely (most, but not all) humans are to each other when the chips are down, and the very real limits of what the state and federal government can and will do.

That said, breaking into the abandoned Six Flags on the city's outskirts and running around at night was pretty cool.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Jazzland was an ultra surreal graffiti spot that you had to break into through one of a variety of insanely sketchy routes. I think it's all gone now though

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

bird food bathtub posted:

Now spend a minute or two thinking what any Katrina-level situation will look like in the next three and a half years under the benevolent and steady guiding hand of someone who won't even know/care it's happening beyond what he can tweet about it on the shitter. Who by the way has specifically and purposefully gutted the manpower of agencies under him.

if we would just build the wall then hurricanes wouldn't be able to get across our borders

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Buca di Bepis posted:

Pretty sure it was the cops blasting blacks, not the servicemembers

Thin. Blue. Line.

Our Boys in Blue are basically servicemembers, fighting the War on Crime every day on the homefront. A civilian like you would never understand what an officer of the law puts on the line every day.

jk cops are pigs

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

suboptimal posted:

I spent some time doing reconstruction work in the Lower Ninth Ward in 2008, three years after the hurricane.

Every person I talked to who had been there during Katrina had a hosed-up story. One guy I talked to almost drowned in his mother's attic, but found a hatchet and chopped his way out through the roof.

A white guy who lived near the Lower Ninth had a humvee's .50 and several M-16s trained on him outside of his own home because the guardsmen thought he was a looter because he wasn't black.

More than a few people told me that more than a few deaths that got attributed to the flooding were actually people settling old neighborhood scores. The cops weren't going to spend a lot of time trying to figure out why this set of semi-skeletal remains found in the overgrown thicket that used to be a house's foundation had an entry wound in the skull or marks on the ribs from a knife.

One of the things that really delayed NOLA's recovery was contractor fraud. People would get the insurance payout to rebuild or remodel their homes and hire a contractor, only to have them disappear the second they got any money, or disappear in that 15 minute window after they got paid and before their shoddy work completely fell apart. Some of the homes that I worked on were on their second, or even third, reconstruction.

Katrina was really an eye opener for me in terms of learning how lovely (most, but not all) humans are to each other when the chips are down, and the very real limits of what the state and federal government can and will do.

That said, breaking into the abandoned Six Flags on the city's outskirts and running around at night was pretty cool.

I drove down to NOLA on pass from Camp Shelby during mobilization to Afghanistan. Driving by the Six Flags on I10 was surreal.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

suboptimal posted:

. One guy I talked to almost drowned in his mother's attic, but found a hatchet and chopped his way out through the roof.

I remember a documentary that explained how for a generation or two pretty much every single house in NO had a hatchet in the attic for exactly that reason; a lesson learned the hard way during flooding. Then it doesn't happen for a while and the circle begins again.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Not a lot of buses on the gulf coast. Plenty of people had no way out. It's a fine example of how it is actually impossible to evacuate a first world city. Much less a third world city in a first world country.

Plenty of people stayed behind too. Why spend $300 a night in a Quality Inn in an area where $750 a month pays for a 1000 sq ft apartment? Especially since the last 6 hurricanes were pretty much big rainstorms.

Then the storm surge wave 20 feet higher than any ever recorded came in.

Here have an aerial before and after of Biloxi.

And a video CE made at Keesler AFB. The good stuff starts at 2:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvDrdvTlu2g

And a whole slew of pictures of rubble in a leveled city that's not in the desert.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Hurricanes are legit scary when the conditions align in the worst sort of way. Imagine going through the 1900 hurricane in Galveston with no long range radar, forecasting in its infancy, and conflicting reports from ships at sea. Entire city blocks were wiped off the map and reclaimed by the sea. People had their houses built 4' off the ground and ended up trapped in 2nd and 3rd storey attics. Isaac's Storm

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Internet Wizard posted:

Our Boys in Blue are basically servicemembers, fighting the War on Crime every day on the homefront. A civilian like you would never understand what an officer of the law puts on the line every day.

I work at IT a company who provides services to the prison industry and every single god drat time a facility employee insists on being called by their "rank" or says "civilians" I almost lose my loving mind at them

motherfucker, you're (a) a civilian so shut the gently caress up and (b) no you're not a sergeant of anything, you're a glorified mall cop baby sitter so shut the gently caress up and just turn the loving thing on and off again yes its a computer i know you're scared of computers you loving west virginia hoosier gently caress

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

I work at IT a company who provides services to the prison industry and every single god drat time a facility employee insists on being called by their "rank" or says "civilians" I almost lose my loving mind at them

motherfucker, you're (a) a civilian so shut the gently caress up and (b) no you're not a sergeant of anything, you're a glorified mall cop baby sitter so shut the gently caress up and just turn the loving thing on and off again yes its a computer i know you're scared of computers you loving west virginia hoosier gently caress

This is my internal narrative a lot of days with some words changed out

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
https://twitter.com/LukewSavage/status/882651006227668992

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

Anyone know if the blog posts made by the former Army ranger while he was guarding SA's servers in New Orleans during Katrina are still up somewhere?

http://interdictor.livejournal.com/2005/08/27/

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Terrifying Effigies posted:

In lighter news, French military bands are great and Trump doesn't know what the hell a daft punk is:

https://twitter.com/Simon_Cullen/status/885822181829160960

This is cool. Looks like they've got dudes from all the major French military bands.

Fun fact about the Foreign Legion band: they march way slower than pretty much every other military band in the world (88 beats per minute vs. the usual 116 - 120 bpm) so they always have to be placed last in parades.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

i skimmed a bit of this and read several of the posts in detail and holy poo poo

i'm definitely going to read it more thoroughly tomorrow. it's seems to be a very quality read.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

While reading through this is awesome and detailed I have the standard goon questions: was he actually army SF? Was his wife Crystal actually a smoking hot model? Do his parents make it?

We're the SA servers actually on those data centers? When did the forums find out and start supporting the guy?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

M_Gargantua posted:

While reading through this is awesome and detailed I have the standard goon questions: was he actually army SF? Was his wife Crystal actually a smoking hot model? Do his parents make it?

We're the SA servers actually on those data centers? When did the forums find out and start supporting the guy?

The forums went down when the storm hit. A temp page was put up that said something akin to "something awful is somewhere awful" and had a paypal link for charitable donations. Rich planned on giving all to the red cross, but after around 20k donations, paypal froze his account for potential fraud. He explained what was up, and they said they would only allow him to donate to the United Way. So instead Rich got everyone refunded.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I was going to ask "how did you find it" but then I went through the posts and remembered it was actually famous at the time. The blog's wikipedia page is the fourth result for "katrina blog" :downs:

M_Gargantua posted:

a. Yes.
b. Here's his wife's instagram. He also has an Instagram (godfuckingdamnit does the internet make creeping easy)
c. Yes.

I wasn't prepared for his Twitter.
https://twitter.com/IKilled007/status/873682929259511808
https://twitter.com/IKilled007/status/871438587899858944

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 15, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ahahahhaah

He posted some libertarian-ish stuff after the hurricane and before he turned the blog over to a friend but I didn't think that was going to happen.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

That was a loving fascinating read. It's something to go back and read first hand accounts when people thought that the storm wasn't terrible, and were completely oblivious to the hell that was taking place in the Ninth.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Mr. Nice! posted:

The forums went down when the storm hit. A temp page was put up that said something akin to "something awful is somewhere awful" and had a paypal link for charitable donations. Rich planned on giving all to the red cross, but after around 20k donations, paypal froze his account for potential fraud. He explained what was up, and they said they would only allow him to donate to the United Way. So instead Rich got everyone refunded.

I remember the PayPal thing. It got talked about a lot in he months leading up to me actually buying an account.

Gobbeldygook posted:

I was going to ask "how did you find it" but then I went through the posts and remembered it was actually famous at the time. The blog's wikipedia page is the fourth result for "katrina blog" :downs:

a. Yes.
b. Here's his wife's instagram. He also has an Instagram (godfuckingdamnit does the internet make creeping easy)
c. Yes.

I wasn't prepared for his Twitter.

How am I not surprised.

Edit:

The seeds of it are there if you know what to look for

ikilled007 posted:

Outpost Crystal is still a viable and functioning camp of civilization in the face of the lawless barbarian hordes who threaten at all times to turn what's left of New Orleans into the war of all against all. It's like Mogadishu out there, but we're in a fixed defensive position and prepared.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

People in Biloxi hate New Orleans because they think the storm surge they got was worse than what happened in the 9th, and also probably because they're racist idiots. Nobody in their right mind would choose Biloxi over New Orleans for a trip given the choice.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I always wondered what happened to all the fire and brimstone street preachers who used to hang out in the quarter. Was Katrina the best day ever for them? Did they stick around to see their words made real by God's wrath? Did they ever end up getting laid?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/benwikler/status/886052957623549952

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
iZombie is a parable about HIV and healthcare in America.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Makes you think

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bird food bathtub posted:

OTOH, his FEMA director got confirmed a few weeks ago and he has actual disaster management experience so better than a horse judge I guess?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

One of my local guys took out a full page ad for his 2 fer 1 veterans day special a couple years ago.

It ran opposite a murder-suicide story.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

shame on an IGA posted:

One of my local guys took out a full page ad for his 2 fer 1 veterans day special a couple years ago.

It ran opposite a murder-suicide story.

now that's really knowing your target audience

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/walkerbragman/status/885357305268711424

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It's worth noting that before it beat the hell out of the gulf coast, Katrina made landfall on the southeast coast of Florida as a relatively weak hurricane. Florida, being used to natures horseshit, had relatively minor damage. (More people died during cleanup from falling trees and running generators indoors than died from direct storm effects.) The now-tropical storm moved into the gulf, and regained hurricane status pretty much immediately, but then dawdled out in the gulf for a couple days before strengthening from a CAT3 to a CAT5 in nine hours, and beelining for Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana.

I remain personally convinced that reporting from Florida showing such minor damage influenced at least SOME people's decisions (both personal and public) to not evacuate low-lying areas of the gulf coast, particularly since it had been so long since that area had been directly impacted by a strong storm.

Similar to "SUPER STORM SANDY" which probably would have resulted in nothing worse than overturned lawn furniture if it had hit Florida, Katrina hit what amounted to a soft, completely unprepared target. :(

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Was that a social darwinism argument from a democrat?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

MrYenko posted:

Similar to "SUPER STORM SANDY" which probably would have resulted in nothing worse than overturned lawn furniture if it had hit Florida, Katrina hit what amounted to a soft, completely unprepared target. :(

Parts of the city were under 6-8 feet of water. I personally saw a boat in the middle of a city street several blocks from the waterline, flipped over cars, and so on.

Not sure how 6-8 feet of flooding several blocks inland equates to flipped lawn furniture. The only reason the death toll wasn't stupendous was because of most New Yorkers ability to evacuate vertically.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Terrifying Effigies posted:

In lighter news, French military bands are great and Trump doesn't know what the hell a daft punk is:

https://twitter.com/Simon_Cullen/status/885822181829160960

Pulling this back up.
You join the FFL. Then end up playing cymbals in a Daft Punk cover for a cheeto colored retard.

And I thought I had bad luck in our Army.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

bulletsponge13 posted:

Pulling this back up.
You join the FFL. Then end up playing cymbals in a Daft Punk cover for a cheeto colored retard.

And I thought I had bad luck in our Army.

"A very very lovely traditional french military hymn."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/886262145645760512

I can't tell if drudge is turning on trump or what

• Locked thread