Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

dishwasherlove posted:

Can anyone with an OSSC provide some opinions on it. I know there are reviews around but I trust the goonpinion.

I like mine. It offers a clear picture, correct colors, virtually nonexistent latency (in addition to your TV), and it basically worked out of the box. The main gotcha is my version doesn't output digital sound without an add-on. It's a separate analog output. The newer version has digital sound built in already. I have it hooked up to a ~2012 mid-range Panasonic HDTV that only supports the line-doubling mode (480p essentially), which works for me. I have another piece of garbage TV (oCosmo, lol) that doesn't support it at all. My computer monitor is much more tolerant of additional modes, such as line-tripling.

I recommend it if you're reasonably confident your TV/monitor will support it. It's a definite step up from my cheapo SCART -> component box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Yeah I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on it. Thanks.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Micomsoft will be accquired by Microsoft, who will release Microsoft Framemeister 2017 Home Edition with built in Candy Crush.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap "hidden gem" for the genesis? I'm planning on picking up a few games while I'm in the US this summer.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Wizgot posted:

Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap "hidden gem" for the genesis? I'm planning on picking up a few games while I'm in the US this summer.

Decap Attack starring Chuck D. Head. It's on multiple compilations but still doesn't seem to generate a ton of discussion. Notable for being a total localization reskin in the vein of Yo Noid, but with completely original characters instead of a licensing job.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Phantasium posted:

I bought that Hyperkin SNES mouse and it seems to work really well.

Tested it with Mario Paint, Sim Ant, King Arthur's World, T2, and Shien's Revenge.

Mario Paint was the best, since it has mouse speed options and you can set it to better match your movements, the others not so much though that's probably just because of the original peripheral they were designed for. King Arthur's World was a bit slow on the take, though Sim Ant is pretty nice. And then the other two were just me dicking around looking for mouse games on my flashcart so those games just kind of suck to begin with, of note is the menu on Shien being so finicky that it was drat near impossible to select the options menu before it went back to the attract mode.

If you are finding it way too sensitive for some games, the Hyperkin laser mouse has a small button underneath near the laser that adjusts the DPI. Try pressing it a few times.

Rirse posted:

I ordered one from ebay that is only a state away with the case and everything, because the old case is very wore from years of use.

Yeah even the screen has specs on it, so this thing highly needs to be upgraded.

For whatever reason I always noticed the original GBA would always get dust on the screen. I'm not talking about the plastic screen on front, but the actual lcd itself. I guess the system isn't sealed well or something. It actually drove me crazy enough to stop using my original one with a modded screen since the SP does not have that issue.

Shadow Hog posted:

Yeah, I used to have an AGS-101. Traded it down to a friend for his AGS-001 (to be fair, mine's case was really mucked up, and I was feeling generous in general that day), but I think he's used an unofficial screen for it cuz there's these weird glowing horizontal lines visible when you're looking dead-on at the screen that make it kinda hard to actually see anything on the screen to play it... hence why I'm running back to the AGS-101 screen ASAP.

Those horizontal lines you are seeing are probably from multiplexing due to the screen potentiometer being adjusted poorly. You can adjust it with a small screw driver, though you have to poke through the back label on the GBA to get to it. Turn it slightly until the lines go away. (if my DSi XL is to be believed, they never completely go away though :smithicide:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wizgot posted:

Ranger X. Also grab any Strike games you see and Battletech 3050.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

al-azad posted:

Also grab any Strike games you see

Seconded. Except, perhaps, for Surgical Strike

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Altered beast is actually a good game. Not hidden jems really but Ghouls n Ghosts and Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion are two of the best games on there. People say Kid Chameleon is good but I've never played it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Kid Chameleon is alright, I suppose. Mechanically sound (it's basically Mario, but by Sega Technical Institute), but the level design hates you and everything you stand for and there's a lot of it to get through, complete with levels you can only reach by warping in certain other levels, some of which actually take you backwards in stage progression when you clear them (EDIT: or maybe not; if this chart of level progression can be trusted, you'll still be going forward for the most part)... It's kind of ridiculous.

Kind of curious if that voltage regulator that Retro Modding offers for their built-to-order GBAs is really worth the $30 asking price. Any experience with those things? There's the GBAmp v3 as well, but I'm pretty sure I don't care about it (and they presently don't offer the voltage regulator and the amp in the same build, unless you get the Metal Jesus Rocks special or something).

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 14, 2017

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Wizgot posted:

i dont know if rocket knight adventures or dynamite headdy still count as hidden gems but they are very good

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Virtua racing is fun and cool for how far it pushes the stock genesis with segas SuperFX-alike chip.

Alternately buy a 32x and play it there

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i've been replaying DKC1 for the first time in a long, long while and jesus christ this game can loving eat my rear end

like it's fantastic in every single way, except that the difficulty is tuned for loving godlike superhumans and they just semi-compensate by dumping shitloads of extra lives on you

of which Mine Cart Madness ate like loving 30

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like have I just gotten really poo poo at video games in my old age or is this yet another example of British devs not knowing what the gently caress "difficulty curve" means

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like have I just gotten really poo poo at video games in my old age

Could be this. I've found I'm not quite as adept as I used to be, both in reaction time and endurance (I can't play games in as long per setting as I used to).

Wizgot posted:

Dunno how cheap it is, but the first thing I thought of is Fatal Labrynth. It's in that massive MD collection you can buy on Steam and I found it to be surprisingly enjoyable. It's a roguelike, possibly the only one on the system?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like have I just gotten really poo poo at video games in my old age or is this yet another example of British devs not knowing what the gently caress "difficulty curve" means

You're just, um, rusty. Yeah, that's it!

But yeah, DKC is a game that requires practice and developing an intuitive sense of when to jump since both characters don't offer the best control precision, though I think Diddy is maybe a bit better for tight jumps than Donkey. I think the devs knew that, too, which is why they nerfed Diddy against some enemies in order to make you use Donkey. For instance, Diddy can't jump on top of Klumps (the alligator dudes with army helments on) and he can't do anything against Krushas (the muscly alligators), while Donkey can.

And this comes into play for certain levels, where you will see one or the other type of that enemy on a platform, and you have to decide if you want to chance it with Diddy and risk being bounced off, or play it safe with Donkey Kong and jump on top of them.

I think Rare did all right with the conceptual difficulty, but the use of pre-rendered sprites and preserving how the player characters move (that is, lots of animation) probably made it more difficult for them to optimize the controls, which in turn increases the difficulty. It's not unfair, basically, but it is frustrating and demands a bit of perseverance.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ofecks posted:

It's in that massive MD collection you can buy on Steam

I think i got Golden Axe on that somehow and is it just me or is the audio just loving terrible? I wouldnt mind grabbing a fee more games on that but if the audio emulation is boned then why bother.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I bought the hyperkin mouse. My 5 YO is really into Mario paint and the stock mouse is a big hamper on enjoyment.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

FilthyImp posted:

I think i got Golden Axe on that somehow and is it just me or is the audio just loving terrible? I wouldnt mind grabbing a fee more games on that but if the audio emulation is boned then why bother.

I don't recall noticing any audio issues. Granted, it's been years since I played any of those.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I bought the hyperkin mouse. My 5 YO is really into Mario paint and the stock mouse is a big hamper on enjoyment.
Oh man, post a close up photo of what that massive thing looks like in a 5-year-old's hand.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ofecks posted:

Dunno how cheap it is, but the first thing I thought of is Fatal Labrynth. It's in that massive MD collection you can buy on Steam and I found it to be surprisingly enjoyable. It's a roguelike, possibly the only one on the system?
I'd say Toe Jam & Earl also counts as a Rogue-like, or failing that, a Rogue-lite at the very least. Randomized levels, various items that can either help or hinder you and require either using or paying the Wise Carrot to identify, that sorta thing.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, I got my backlight screen and casing for the GBA, and while the backlight works (still need to find a soldering iron as it too bright right now), there is a scratch on the screen that causes a slight rainbow effect around where it at. Don't want to have to wait for another replacement screen as every solution to fix a scratch is 'buy a new screen" it seems.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

xamphear posted:

Oh man, post a close up photo of what that massive thing looks like in a 5-year-old's hand.

I will on Sunday when it arrives. She uses my MX Master for Minecraft so hopefully it's not too bad

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
E: Wrong thread

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

Ranger X. Also grab any Strike games you see and Battletech 3050.

I just passed on a copy of Battletech 3050 an hour ago which was the first physical copy I've seen in a long time. It's an interesting game, but not worth $25 IMO.

Shadowrun is its cousin and it a cool game for cool people, too.

FilthyImp posted:

I think i got Golden Axe on that somehow and is it just me or is the audio just loving terrible?

I'm pretty sure that's just Golden Axe. :v:

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

For whatever reason I always noticed the original GBA would always get dust on the screen. I'm not talking about the plastic screen on front, but the actual lcd itself. I guess the system isn't sealed well or something. It actually drove me crazy enough to stop using my original one with a modded screen since the SP does not have that issue.

my modded GBA with the 101 screen has also gotten some dust under the glass somehow (after I superglued it on after the original adhesive of the glass replacement screen came off). So ya, there must be some opening, but I figured it was an issue with the modded screen or ribbon cable causing a slight separation in the case or something.

I do have it standing up vertical on a shelf when not in use, so I took some of those blank inserts that go in the bottom GBA slots of DS Lites that I had laying about waiting for GB Macro hacking and now keep those in the GBA and my GBC when they are not in use (no game in the slot) to prevent dust. Luckily the SP and Micro slots are on the bottom when you stand them vertical.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i've been replaying DKC1 for the first time in a long, long while and jesus christ this game can loving eat my rear end

like it's fantastic in every single way, except that the difficulty is tuned for loving godlike superhumans and they just semi-compensate by dumping shitloads of extra lives on you

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm going to return the backlight kit to the ebay seller. Had a lot of issues with it, like the new case not being design to fit the screen, and the screws provided striped. Is there a goon who I could sent the motherboard of the GBA out to get it fitted with the backlight?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't think they had the mechanic in the first game where if you roll into an enemy you automatically keep rolling. Also there's a weird physics bending mechanic where you roll off a cliff to jump in mid-air which I think started in DKC2. I played DKC after the sequel and yeah, that first game can suck it but DKC2 is perfect. Mega Man to Mega Man 2, AssCreed to AssCreed 2, System Shock to System Shock 2, and then there was Donkey Kong Country.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm pretty sure jumping in mid-air after walking off a cliff works, at the very least, though obviously there's a short limit on how long you have to do it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Roll-jumping with Diddy was definitely a thing in DKC1—I remember having to do that a lot. For tricky jumps like that in DKC2 you'd just use Dixie instead.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Douchendance is improving his technique thank goodness.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

If you are finding it way too sensitive for some games, the Hyperkin laser mouse has a small button underneath near the laser that adjusts the DPI. Try pressing it a few times.

Whaaaaaaat how did I miss this. Now my mouse works perfect with what games I've thrown at it.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Douchendance is improving his technique thank goodness.

I can barely solder, and even I had the foresight to order a bunch of tape down standoffs when I had to mount a PCB to a case. It's a step, but it's a bit like giving credit to a chef who just learned to wash his own hands.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I can barely solder, and even I had the foresight to order a bunch of tape down standoffs when I had to mount a PCB to a case. It's a step, but it's a bit like giving credit to a chef who just learned to wash his own hands.

That said, I think it's honestly refreshing to see someone online actually respond to criticisms with "yeah, you're right, this wasn't the right way and I should strive to improve how I do things" instead of the usual doubling down and being a lovely person online.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

univbee posted:

That said, I think it's honestly refreshing to see someone online actually respond to criticisms with "yeah, you're right, this wasn't the right way and I should strive to improve how I do things" instead of the usual doubling down and being a lovely person online.

Yeah, has this guy done anything else that deserves so much vitriol other than not doing a good job at some of the mods? I don't really follow this scene, so I don't know.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

cosmicjim posted:

Yeah, has this guy done anything else that deserves so much vitriol other than not doing a good job at some of the mods? I don't really follow this scene, so I don't know.

I think the problem is the guy was charging far too much to do such poor work.
And let's not softpedal it, the work was embarrassingly bad.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crackbone posted:

I think the problem is the guy was charging far too much to do such poor work.
And let's not softpedal it, the work was embarrassingly bad.

Despite these threads recommending him for the past, what, 6 years? Is the drop in quality recent or is this a case of "just good enough" until suddenly it wasn't?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's a very "chunky" platformer with big hitboxes and stompable enemies that aren't always clear cut about where you can jump on them, the regular lizard guys you can practically hit from the side and still kill them, but with those snakes you have to suddenly be precise and hit them in the middle. I didn't really like the rolljump and most of the secrets just lead to loads of bananas and extra lives, which you'll either be swimming in or pissing away on a minecart level. I'm not a huge fan but then again the main character is an ape with a tie and it has Candy Kong... :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

Despite these threads recommending him for the past, what, 6 years? Is the drop in quality recent or is this a case of "just good enough" until suddenly it wasn't?

That's what I wanna know. He did my R Duo like three years ago and the picture looks wonderful so I don't know if the thing is just gonna crap out someday, if the picture sucks and I don't notice it, or if it's just epoxied to hell and back being the only difference.

• Locked thread