Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Just got done (almost) with R16 research, only took a day, but now I need to sit on undead for 24 hrs or something for A135?

And what happened to joining Dwarf/Drow? That seems to be locked out for me now, I wanted to knock out Dwarf challenge 2 but I can't see the option to go Dwarf any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Don't pick up the unique building and you can take the Prestige factions again.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

That's the thing, I'm deliberately not buying the unique building and it still isn't showing the option to go prestige faction.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Assuming you're playing a good/evil faction - you can't go like titan/dwarf or something - and you don't have the UB, you should instead have the option to join the prestige faction.

I forget offhand if this is available right off the bat once you join the vanilla faction, or only once you buy all your vanilla faction's upgrades, but the latter should be a trivial matter of hitting buy-all a few times and maybe some coin pillage TCs or something for faction coins.

Looking at it another way, if you can see the research button, you can't join the prestige faction. If you can't see the research button, then it should be available. Note that neither joining the prestige faction nor buying the UB will be included in buy-all, both are things you have to do manually.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I cannot see the research button and the dwarven treaty is straight up not there. It isn't on the upgrade screen at all which makes me wonder if I'm locked out until prestige research or something.

e: R16, all researches unlocked, playing as Fairy, UB NOT purchased

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 13, 2017

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Beasteh posted:

Just got done (almost) with R16 research, only took a day, but now I need to sit on undead for 24 hrs or something for A135?

And what happened to joining Dwarf/Drow? That seems to be locked out for me now, I wanted to knock out Dwarf challenge 2 but I can't see the option to go Dwarf any more.

Prestige research requires a quest that unlocks at R29

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
You have to have purchased your vanilla faction alliance upgrade to see the prestige trade treaty. The alliance one is the one that lets you buy the gold upgrades, it costs 500 fc.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I was plowing through reincarnations and then I got to r72 and it's taking like three days, I think the free ride is over ):

I've got everything up to t6 except Spiritual Surge; do I just need to tough it out with Faceless/Dragon and Undead linead at 12, or is there something special I can do to make these last few reincarnations before merc research go better?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Coca Koala posted:

I was plowing through reincarnations and then I got to r72 and it's taking like three days, I think the free ride is over ):

I've got everything up to t6 except Spiritual Surge; do I just need to tough it out with Faceless/Dragon and Undead linead at 12, or is there something special I can do to make these last few reincarnations before merc research go better?

I have UL13 and everything (faceless/dragon) at T6 but it's still pretty grindy at the end of R72 (where i am now, :hf: )

You have all the dragon challenges and spell cat, too, right?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Coca Koala posted:

Assuming you've gotten all other major unlocks out of the way, you might need to push Undead Lineage to 15 to make that last push. (Not only to get to R75 but to get gems to the level of doing the merc research unlocks, not to mention flat-out doing the unlocks themselves.)

UL15 will get you an easy challenge (which may insta-complete), which in turn lets you use the Undead's spell, Night Time, while you've got the lineage. Adding an extra spell into the mix should help you sail to the mid R70s, especially with tier 6 on everything else. (If Night Time hasn't been tiered yet, you may have some additional delays ramping up while you tier it, though even tier 1 would be a boost.)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I just got R7 and unlocked bloodlines and wow they're powerful. :allears:

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Captain Foo posted:

I have UL13 and everything (faceless/dragon) at T6 but it's still pretty grindy at the end of R72 (where i am now, :hf: )

You have all the dragon challenges and spell cat, too, right?

Yep, all the challenges are complete.

Vil posted:

Assuming you've gotten all other major unlocks out of the way, you might need to push Undead Lineage to 15 to make that last push. (Not only to get to R75 but to get gems to the level of doing the merc research unlocks, not to mention flat-out doing the unlocks themselves.)

UL15 will get you an easy challenge (which may insta-complete), which in turn lets you use the Undead's spell, Night Time, while you've got the lineage. Adding an extra spell into the mix should help you sail to the mid R70s, especially with tier 6 on everything else. (If Night Time hasn't been tiered yet, you may have some additional delays ramping up while you tier it, though even tier 1 would be a boost.)

Okay, cool. Maybe I'll set up a build to try and push through those last two levels to get to UL 15; I don't have Night Time tiered up yet, but I can see how having it would be useful.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I don't understand Goblin Challenge 1. How do I roll seconds of production, and what do I roll it into? Some things I found on the forum basically just said "be goblins for a while and you'll get the challenge", and I tried that, and it did not work. What am I missing?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Axiem posted:

I don't understand Goblin Challenge 1. How do I roll seconds of production, and what do I roll it into? Some things I found on the forum basically just said "be goblins for a while and you'll get the challenge", and I tried that, and it did not work. What am I missing?

The Green Finger Discount ability that goblins have triggers every 10 minutes and generates 1-1200 seconds worth of coins. The challenge is to get it to roll over 1000 seconds. So yeah, you just have to wait until you get lucky. I think I let it run overnight as goblins and got it.

Note: Apparently it doesn't work if you're offline despite Green Finger Discount saying it works offline.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Axiem posted:

It is a time thing. Green finger discount auto fires every 10 mins and has no indicator I have ever seen. I did the math a while back and I think you have a 100% chance of getting the challenge done within a hour. Like a 1/6 chance every fire. So just buy everything and let it sit online for about an hour.

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 14, 2017

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

If it's a random number between 1-1200 it'll be ~67% chance that you've completed the challenge in an hour and a little over 2 hours before you reach ~90% chance.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Sage Grimm posted:

If it's a random number between 1-1200 it'll be ~67% chance that you've completed the challenge in an hour and a little over 2 hours before you reach ~90% chance.

better math

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That math minor finally came in handy! :shepface:

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Note: Apparently it doesn't work if you're offline despite Green Finger Discount saying it works offline.

That would explain the problem. I'm on mobile, so I spent most of that time offline. Siiiiiigh.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Yeah that goblin challenge is completely random. I got mine on the very first cast iirc.
Kinda anticlimactic actually, all that time setting up the run before bedtime and getting it on the first cast.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Coca Koala posted:

Yep, all the challenges are complete.

Okay, cool. Maybe I'll set up a build to try and push through those last two levels to get to UL 15; I don't have Night Time tiered up yet, but I can see how having it would be useful.

G00F suggests that it's not worth it to push UL15 if you've already got T6 Faceless/Dragon spells; shorter time to just grind to Merc Research

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

is it ethically wrong to just edit my savefile to give myself 5 days as the neutral factions because gently caress waiting 2 weeks for a few piddly researches

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Beasteh posted:

is it ethically wrong to just edit my savefile to give myself 5 days as the neutral factions because gently caress waiting 2 weeks for a few piddly researches

The only person you're cheating is yourself, so if you're okay with it, then it's ok.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

i am absolutely a-ok with it

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Beasteh posted:

i am absolutely a-ok with it

I did the same thing for the "be good/evil/neutral for X days" trophies.

Didn't do it in this instance, oddly. Maybe because I've got other things to work on and having a break from it felt like a good idea. :shrug:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I'm on R40 and ready to ascend, any particular trophies or other unlocks I should try to pick up before I do that?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Beasteh posted:

If you're ethically cool with it yourself, go nuts. That said, savefile edits of gametime can make things wonky - you'll have cleaner results with your game data if you instead do savefile edits of rubies and then buy yourself timewarps in-game.

peepsalot posted:

I'm on R40 and ready to ascend, any particular trophies or other unlocks I should try to pick up before I do that?

If you're R40 you've already ascended. That said, the big things people usually point out are Druid Challenge 1 (usually long since completed), No Recruiting (often accidentally completed once prestige research kicks in), and Stoic Resistance (this one may take some deliberate doing).

No Recruiting you'll eventually be able to do again after ascending, in the mid R70s or so. Stoic Resistance is presumably still possible while playing some faction that has nice long-term scaling, but is much much more of a grind. Timewarps could help.

If you're already in R39+ and not in your Very First Run before you've abdicated once, then you've missed the boat on reasonably-easy Stoic Resistance.

Vil fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 15, 2017

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Bitburner got an update yesterday, for nerds who care:

Full Changelog v0.25.0
Refactored Netscript to use the open-source Acorns Parser. This re-implementation was done by Github users MrNuggelz. This has resulted in several changes in the Netscript language. Some scripts might break because of these changes. Changes listed below:
Arrays are now fully functional Javascript arrays. You no longer need to use the 'Array' keyword to declare them.
The length(), clear/clear(), insert(), and remove() functions no longer work for arrays.
All Javascript array methods are available (splice(), push(), pop(), join(), shift(), indexOf(), etc. See documentation)
Variables assigned to arrays are now passed by value rather than reference
elif is no longer valid. Use 'else if' instead
Incrementing/Decrementing are now available (i++, ++i)
You no longer need semicolons at the end of block statements
Netscript's Hacknet Node API functions no longer log anything
Stock prices now update every ~6 seconds when the game is active (was 10 seconds before)
Added a new mechanic that affects how stock prices change
Script editor now has dynamic indicators for RAM Usage and Line number
Augmentation Rebalancing - Many late game augmentations are now slightly more expensive. Several early game augmentations had their effects slightly decreased
Increased the amount of rewards (both money and rep) you get from infiltration
Purchasing servers is now slightly more expensive
Calling the Netscript function getServerMoneyAvailable('home') now return's the player's money
Added round(n) Netscript function - Rounds a number
Added purchaseServer(hostname, ram) Netscript function
Added the TIX API. This must be purchased in the WSE. It persists through resets. Access to the TIX API allows you to write scripts that perform automated algorithmic trading. See Netscript documentation
Minor rebalancing in a lot of different areas
Changed the format of IP Addresses so that they are smaller (will consist mostly of single digit numbers now). This will reduce the size of the game's save file.

E: gimme your economy-collapsing trade scripts

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Was having a nice time with Idle Wizard but then yeah, it got reaaaally slow (even with a speedhack)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Garfu posted:

Was having a nice time with Idle Wizard but then yeah, it got reaaaally slow (even with a speedhack)

I was having a great time, and then I lost like 2 days of progress for some reason.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I'm playing Idle Wizard right now, and it's so hard to figure out which class is the best. The wiki says Demonologist is good for early runs and that apprentice + golem is apparently a good combination at some point. But I have no clue how to figure out when I should switch away from demonologist. Also, druid seems complete poo poo with the shard income you get from upgrades which is just barely enough to trigger an autoclick spell maybe once every 10 minutes.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Captain Foo posted:

G00F suggests that it's not worth it to push UL15 if you've already got T6 Faceless/Dragon spells; shorter time to just grind to Merc Research

Yeah I tried that build with all my spells tiered up towards the end of R73 and there’s no way it’s worth it.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

GrossMurpel posted:

I'm playing Idle Wizard right now, and it's so hard to figure out which class is the best. The wiki says Demonologist is good for early runs and that apprentice + golem is apparently a good combination at some point. But I have no clue how to figure out when I should switch away from demonologist. Also, druid seems complete poo poo with the shard income you get from upgrades which is just barely enough to trigger an autoclick spell maybe once every 10 minutes.

I've had the opposite experience. Demonologist can't seem to do jack poo poo, but Druid's passive shard income is great and I just have to combo it every 10-15 minutes and I rocket up.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Poultron posted:

I've had the opposite experience. Demonologist can't seem to do jack poo poo, but Druid's passive shard income is great and I just have to combo it every 10-15 minutes and I rocket up.

Well I just reached 1000 mysteries so I'm very much just talking about the early game.
Also, the game appears to have a pretty cool memory leak, just game back after half an hour to find it using 2.5GB of memory.
E: And what spells do you combo with the druid?

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 15, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Idle Wizard is complete trash of the worst order. It can't even save properly, even when you export manually.

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

peepsalot posted:

Similar q: I'm on R39 and running an Archwizard build, but it's taking a million years and I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't be easier later from what I've heard about spell tiers 'n' poo poo. Am I wasting my time doing it now?

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream

Malmesbury Monster posted:

Similar q: I'm on R39 and running an Archwizard build, but it's taking a million years and I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't be easier later from what I've heard about spell tiers 'n' poo poo. Am I wasting my time doing it now?

yes. especially because it's just a trophy, you don't get an upgrade from doing it.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Vil posted:

If you're R40 you've already ascended. That said, the big things people usually point out are Druid Challenge 1 (usually long since completed), No Recruiting (often accidentally completed once prestige research kicks in), and Stoic Resistance (this one may take some deliberate doing).

No Recruiting you'll eventually be able to do again after ascending, in the mid R70s or so. Stoic Resistance is presumably still possible while playing some faction that has nice long-term scaling, but is much much more of a grind. Timewarps could help.

If you're already in R39+ and not in your Very First Run before you've abdicated once, then you've missed the boat on reasonably-easy Stoic Resistance.
Yeah I was on R39, I just forgot what number was because the button just said Ascension. I already had all the (non dragon) challenges, stoic resistance, and no recruiting. So I went for a few more building count trophies, and then went ahead and ascended

For unlocking Tiered Autocasting do I need to make all the mana in one abdication, or in one reincarnation, or just total overall?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, just started Research yesterday and was wondering when it got good. Well it unlocked a bunch of things overnight and :aaa:

Also I was gonna try working requirements out myself but that went in the bin very quickly. I think that was a good call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Save yourself the anguish and just use the musicfamily site, it has the entire research tree with mouseovers for the requirements