Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Guardians of the Galaxy 2, not really a spoiler:

When Rocket asks Yandu if he has any of Quill's old music on the ship, it cuts to the start of a song off of Awesome Mix Vol 2.

BUT, Peter didn't get Awesome Mix Vol 2 until the end of the first Guardians movie. The only Earth music he had up until that point was what was on Awesome Mix Vol 1, so the song Rocket and Yondu played should have been something from the first movie's soundtrack, not a new (well, new old) song from the second movie's soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy 2, not really a spoiler:

When Rocket asks Yandu if he has any of Quill's old music on the ship, it cuts to the start of a song off of Awesome Mix Vol 2.

BUT, Peter didn't get Awesome Mix Vol 2 until the end of the first Guardians movie. The only Earth music he had up until that point was what was on Awesome Mix Vol 1, so the song Rocket and Yondu played should have been something from the first movie's soundtrack, not a new (well, new old) song from the second movie's soundtrack.

He's played Awesome Mix Vol 2 before, but his walkman can only hold one tape at a time.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

He's played Awesome Mix Vol 2 before, but his walkman can only hold one tape at a time.

Yeah but he got a Zune

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SiKboy posted:

If I remember right at the start of the first Thor film while hes a shithead Mjolner doesn't have that enchantment, doesnt Anthony HopOdin whisper the enchantment onto the hammer when he banishes Thor to earth?

And even in the comics what exactly "worthy" means is vaguely defined at best. Good moral character? Wanting to use Mjolnir in a worthwhile cause? Innocent? Lacking self doubt? Exemplifies the perfect viking (Odin is after all a god of war)? Theres been probably a half dozen different interpretations from different writers in different comics across decades.

In the films Steve is able to lift it, but its still heavy and he doesnt notice that he's moving it (I agree with Kruller that Steve picking up Mjolner to Wreck Some poo poo is probably the climax of Infininty War). Vision lifting it easily, well hes a super strong synthetic being who is "worthy" to wield it (and who hasnt just watched his friends fail to lift it), so he has an advantage over Captain America who is worthy but not as strong and doesnt expect to be able to pick it up. To me Vision can lift it up because he is worthy in that he is a moral being who has no "sin" if you like; He's basically newborn so has committed no evil acts no matter how small. But yeah, its basically visual shorthand for "This is a powerful good guy" without any detailed explanation.

Hydra Capatin picks up the hammer. Lmao

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Vision looks like he's shaping up to play the role that Adam Warlock has in the comics.
Which is to say he is Space Jesus and as the mechanical messiah he can do his stuff like pick up magical hammers.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Vision is gonna get the gem ripped out of his head in Act 1 Scene 1 to show how much of a badass Thanos is.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

irl thor doesnt give a gently caress about humans unless theyre in his way

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Away all Goats posted:

Vision is gonna get the gem ripped out of his head in Act 1 Scene 1 to show how much of a badass Thanos is.

This is such lazy storytelling, get the bad guy to smash someone who is seen as being super strong to establish the bad guy's bona fides.

So of course they'll do it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Memento posted:

This is such lazy storytelling, get the bad guy to smash someone who is seen as being super strong to establish the bad guy's bona fides.

It's comic books, not high art
Also Vision is 1/5th of what Thanos needs to be a threat deserving of two movies so of course he needs to kill him to get it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Calaveron posted:

It's comic books, not high art

sure, but its still not an excuse for bad storytelling

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What are they supposed to do other than that in comic film? Punching each other is basically the only scale we have.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Powaqoatse posted:

sure, but its still not an excuse for bad storytelling

It's a comic book is the operational definition of bad storytelling

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I remember some discussion on how Cap's vision in Age of Ultron is basically how he feels at home in war, and having no more wars to fight is a nightmare to him because he doesn't know what else to do with himself. Which might be significant given part of how Thor lost his hammer in the first place was starting a war on a whim.

Mjolnir seems almost a little sentient; it understands and obey's Odin's command, and responds to its wielder intuitively. I wonder if we're ever gonna see Beta Ray Bill, the original 'Hey, this guy is also worthy!'

Also, the coat rack was worthy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FreudianSlippers posted:

Vision looks like he's shaping up to play the role that Adam Warlock has in the comics.
Which is to say he is Space Jesus and as the mechanical messiah he can do his stuff like pick up magical hammers.

Maybe, but Adam Warlock certainly looks to be coming soon to a theatre near you, so he'll need a gimmick too.

I think vision can survive the gems removal but maybe he'll be demoted in power level from DC to Marvel

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Memento posted:

Hey, it worked for Dragon Ball Z.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They could just not do Thanos and the gems because it's so boring.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mu Zeta posted:

They could just not do Thanos and the gems because it's so boring.

They could, but they won't because it's an incredibly cliche and easy story to tell and they know even the people saying they don't want that storyline will go see every new movie they churn out at least once.

My irritation with thanos has always been why he didn't just go after them himself in the first place. Comic book villains always send underlings to screw it up and let the good guys get some new powerful stuff so when they finally meet they can beat him. If Thanos had just joined the fight from the beginning he could probably have his dumb magic glove already.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Calaveron posted:

It's a comic book is the operational definition of bad storytelling

not in europe though :doublesmug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

They could, but they won't because it's an incredibly cliche and easy story to tell and they know even the people saying they don't want that storyline will go see every new movie they churn out at least once.

My irritation with thanos has always been why he didn't just go after them himself in the first place. Comic book villains always send underlings to screw it up and let the good guys get some new powerful stuff so when they finally meet they can beat him. If Thanos had just joined the fight from the beginning he could probably have his dumb magic glove already.

IIRC, Thanos is typically depicted in the comics as being lazy, self-loathing and kind of half-assing the whole 'take over the universe' thing, which it seems he only really makes an effort to do because he's bored.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I watched those new Dragon Ball Z movies, Goku can get tossed straight through a mountain like it's nothing then get shot by a tiny space gun and he's practically dead.

Overall my analysis is that power levels in this series are all over the place and Frieza doesn't do anything that makes him look any stronger than he was like 20+ years ago.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I watched those new Dragon Ball Z movies, Goku can get tossed straight through a mountain like it's nothing then get shot by a tiny space gun and he's practically dead.

Overall my analysis is that power levels in this series are all over the place and Frieza doesn't do anything that makes him look any stronger than he was like 20+ years ago.

power levels are dependant on how intense their users are. cf mr huge in buttlord gt -- the more he says "huge", the huger he gets.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

He didn't care if the minions succeeded, just that the location of the gems was revealed. If Thanos moved to get them one at a time, he'd be opposed by powers similar to his level before he could gather them all. By revealing their locations, he can grab them very quickly when he needs them before opposition can form. He isn't worried about any minion who succeeds, he knows he can crush any of them even if they have a gem. This keeps him in control of his ultimate timeline, and he can act when he feels the moment is right.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I mean it WAS right through the heart and he wasn't expecting it to happen.

I was more pissed off at Frieza actually succeeding at blowing everybody up but then Weiss just going back in time because he can do that now a lot of people overuse the term Deus ex Machina, but i think the term is quite appropriate for that part since this is a literal god we're talking about.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

metztli posted:

I justified it by "Steve was trying to show off at that point and thus was picking it up for less than heroic reasons" or something along those lines.

Thor was showing off then, but he could still pick it up because his showing off was in order to get his friends to be more heroic, and Vision did because he was trying to rally the troops.

I thought about this too much.

It's a bit simpler. Once you prove yourself worthy of wielding Mjolnir, you can do it until you perform an unworthy act. Being proud isn't enough for that. But if Thor had said "gently caress all ye all, fix thine own poo poo. I fighteth not this Ultron unless you can wield Mjolnir" then he wouldn't have been able to wield it either because he would have been turning his back on his friends. Likewise, Cap couldn't pick it up because he was doing it for himself - to show that he could - but if he needed a weapon to save someone and Mjolnir was all there was then I'm sure he could.

Basically, it's about selflessness. If you want the power and the honour and the glory, you can't have it. If you want to help someone else, you can. This is why in recent comics Jane Foster is the wielder of Mjolnir. She takes it up because Thor becomes unworthy and she believes the world needs Thor's strength, and she gets to keep it because using it is killing her; she has cancer, and every time she transforms into Thor and back the effects of her chemo are erased.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

irl nobody can mess around w mjolnir

also wow, the comics are weird compared to the simple mythology (gods dont really care, fight giants, humans are ants)

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 12:02 on Jul 15, 2017

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

irl nobody can mess around w mjolnir

also wow, the comics are weird compared to the simple mythology (gods dont really care, fight giants, humans are ants)

Pretty sure they just didn't want to get into the weird stuff about Loki getting hosed by a horse and giving birth to a 6 legged horse that Odin then uses as his mount.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also Odin and his brothers made the world from the carcass of the first giant who is also sorta kinda their grandfather (possibly greatgrandfather it's been a while since I read the Eddas) and Dwarves mutated from the maggots that feasted on that carcass.

Building poo poo from dead bodies is a bit of a theme. The baddies have a ship that is made entirely out of the nails of dead men.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

syscall girl posted:

That just makes me think of the Southern Oracle in The Neverending Story

Atreu is supposed to have some quality or other that makes the booby statues not laser zap him but instead he just tucks and rolls and dodges them.

Stupid knight should have just kicked in his spurs and charged in a serpentine fashion.

I always interpreted this as that Atreu was supposed to maintain unshakable conviction in his worthiness to pass, but since he lost confidence and doubted himself, that's why it shot at him. Then he just got lucky.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Imagined posted:

I always interpreted this as that Atreu was supposed to maintain unshakable conviction in his worthiness to pass, but since he lost confidence and doubted himself, that's why it shot at him. Then he just got lucky.

:same:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Powaqoatse posted:

not in europe though :doublesmug:

Hey man just because you can show tiddies there doesn't mean it's necessarily superior

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Scuse me, the dude turned GOLD.

Like, a metallic gold.

That's obviously a huge power up cause, I mean, it's the gold standard.

:haw:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
My IIMM is that I think the titles of the first two planet of the apes reboot movies should be swapped. Why do they rise before the dawn?!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

I remember some discussion on how Cap's vision in Age of Ultron is basically how he feels at home in war, and having no more wars to fight is a nightmare to him because he doesn't know what else to do with himself. Which might be significant given part of how Thor lost his hammer in the first place was starting a war on a whim.

Mjolnir seems almost a little sentient; it understands and obey's Odin's command, and responds to its wielder intuitively. I wonder if we're ever gonna see Beta Ray Bill, the original 'Hey, this guy is also worthy!'

Also, the coat rack was worthy.

I thought Cap's ultron vision thing was his PTSD. Like he sees wine being spilled on someone and Steve thinks it's blood, and the person's been injured. Then he gets scared at party crackers because it sounds like guns. Like he hasn't had time to decompress and hit up a psychiatrist because Shock and 'War Syndrome' hadn't been invented yet in the 50s. Man, it's been a while since I've seen it, so maybe I'm remembering it foggily.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In the new season of House of Cards the republican opponents backstory is that he's a Fighter pilot who served in the last gulf war. The tiny annoying thing is that Joel Kinnamen is like 6'6 and the tallest you can be is 6'2 and still fit inside a cockpit.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Aren't most fighter pilots actually pretty short? I remember reading that somewhere when they were doing the astronaut stuff, they ended up making em from like 5'8" or so because the test pilots were short dudes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Roald Dahl was a fighter pilot in WW2 and he wrote about how life was hell in those cramped planes because he was so tall. The British military basically made a mistake in letting him be a fighter because he really wanted to do it instead of being a bomber.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Why is the Batman movie where Robin is introduced called Batman Forever while the movie where Batgirl is introduced is called Batman and Robin?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Aren't most fighter pilots actually pretty short? I remember reading that somewhere when they were doing the astronaut stuff, they ended up making em from like 5'8" or so because the test pilots were short dudes.

This guy is a mate of mine and he looks like he would be the exact person who the moniker of "Australia's Hottest Man" should be applied to.

Except he's 5'7".

He stills flies jet fighters for a living, probably worth it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

EmmyOk posted:

I don't read comic books so maybe it's explained there but whether or not someone can pick up Thor's hammer is weird to me. I liked the funny scene in Ultron where they all have a few cans and then try to lift it and only Steve even makes it move at all. Then later Vision effortlessly picks it up so the audience has clear and quick evidence that he's a goodie. I don't see why Steve wasn't able to lift it though because neither Vision or Thor display some heroic quality that Steve lacks. He's incredibly selfless, able to sacrifice himself for the greater good, brilliant warrior, big lovely arms and nice smile (Grade A). Even when Thor was a shithead at the start of his first film he could use Mjolnir, so that dude was more worthy than Steve?

I like the justification that Steve actually could have picked it up, but he realised he could when it moved a little, and kept it to himself. Humility is the core of his character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Memento posted:

This guy is a mate of mine and he looks like he would be the exact person who the moniker of "Australia's Hottest Man" should be applied to.

Except he's 5'7".

He stills flies jet fighters for a living, probably worth it.

pfft what a pathetic loving manlet good luck ever getting laid and look at that nasiolabial fold-

Oh, gently caress, sorry, thought this was the Incel Thread for a moment. Also your friend is attractive.