Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

Ys Origin is a great game, especially when you play the third character. Who are you playing as?

I only had two characters to choose so between the mage and axe wielding girl, I picked melee. When do I unlock the third char?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Guillermus posted:

I only had two characters to choose so between the mage and axe wielding girl, I picked melee. When do I unlock the third char?

You unlock third by beating the game with one of the other two characters. Each character is a different variant of the story. I would generally suggest playing Mage Boy's story on easy, he's not as fun as the other two, but his story is good. E: But don't do it until you finish Yunica's story.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

You unlock third by beating the game with one of the other two characters. Each character is a different variant of the story. I would generally suggest playing Mage Boy's story on easy, he's not as fun as the other two, but his story is good. E: But don't do it until you finish Yunica's story.

Thanks for the advice. Yunica is fun and reminds me of the bit I played of Ys: Oath, spin2win and that stuff.

I just beat the long underwater section with spikes and got the electric smash power. Got to a goddess statue with a locked door right next to it.

I stopped there, if I can't find the key I'll just look a guide or something. In Oath I got lost pretty early.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is super unlikely, but there is some setting I might be missing that turns off the r2/l2 fast forward functionality in movies? I swear to loving god I want to push the guy who thought this was a good idea (for 2 generations of PlayStation) into a lake.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

This is super unlikely, but there is some setting I might be missing that turns off the r2/l2 fast forward functionality in movies? I swear to loving god I want to push the guy who thought this was a good idea (for 2 generations of PlayStation) into a lake.
I guess power down the controller while watching movies and use your TV remote or whatever instead? It activates by accident a lot for me too (on the occasion that I watch physical media, which isn't really that often) so I do that when I remember to.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

veni veni veni posted:

You DONT want to accidently skip chapters trying to unpause a movie? I don't get it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess power down the controller while watching movies and use your TV remote or whatever instead? It activates by accident a lot for me too (on the occasion that I watch physical media, which isn't really that often) so I do that when I remember to.

Yeah I'm like 90% streaming so it always throws me off when I watch a blu ray or something. I don't think ive ever made it through a whole disc without skipping a chapter or fast forwarding through something on accident.

One of the dumbest design decisions I've ever seen and here we are like 12 years later including PS3 and it's never been patched out.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

One of the dumbest design decisions I've ever seen and here we are like 12 years later including PS3 and it's never been patched out.
More in general, Netflix and its like created a new, far superior standard for how to control the playback of video media like ten years ago, but afaik no physical media playback software including the PS4's has caught on with that.

Also the discs themselves have to have dumb-rear end custom animated on screen controls or some poo poo every time.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I'm like 90% streaming so it always throws me off when I watch a blu ray or something. I don't think ive ever made it through a whole disc without skipping a chapter or fast forwarding through something on accident.

Hdmi-cec is the answer. Works on dvd if your tv supports it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

When I start a Blu-Ray I know that it will be five to ten minutes before I actually get to the beginning of the movie. Really helps with replicating that theatrical experience

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When I start a Blu-Ray I know that it will be five to ten minutes before I actually get to the beginning of the movie. Really helps with replicating that theatrical experience

poo poo is so god drat annoying

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

poo poo is so god drat annoying
I don't think I can get in the head of someone who hasn't always thought that was bullshit, even from the beginning of the DVD era like 20 years ago. And then when it continued into the bluray age I was like welp, they clearly don't really think of us as customers at all.

Then Netflix started streaming video and showed what it could be like without any of that poo poo.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

if you have internet doesn't the blu-ray force you to watch some new movie ads and poo poo

yeah I hate the mashing of buttons when starting a blu ray trying to navigate to the main menu waiting to just start the drat movie

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I cling to discs for games more than most people in this thread, but I still don't want to touch physical media with a 10 foot pole when to comes to movies and music. I'll buy a blu ray once in a blu moon for something I want to actually own that isn't streaming for free, and I always resent how bad it is on PS4

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

if you have internet doesn't the blu-ray force you to watch some new movie ads and poo poo

yeah I hate the mashing of buttons when starting a blu ray trying to navigate to the main menu waiting to just start the drat movie

poo poo ones. I think Redbox versions have this.

But bluray is still miles above the best streaming quality. So depends what you want out of life

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
you can disallow Blu Rays from accessing the internet in the PS4 menu setting somewhere, I've had it cause issues on one or two movies though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

you can disallow Blu Rays from accessing the internet in the PS4 menu setting somewhere, I've had it cause issues on one or two movies though.

Is there any reason to leave this feature on? Maybe to "patch" lovely blu-rays idk...or is that what they want you to think

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Is there any reason to leave this feature on? Maybe to "patch" lovely blu-rays idk...or is that what they want you to think

you dont want to miss out on BD-LIVE functionality do you?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The bad thing is that the PS3 has no permanent disable option for blu-rays accessing the internet. The only options are Allow and Confirm. Every time I start a blu-ray it makes me manually select no. And if I accidentally select yes even once, it changes the setting to always allow and I have to go back into the settings and change it back to Confirm.

They really want people to be intruded upon by those invasive internet features. I was surprised that they added a disable option on the PS4. I should probably start using my PS4 for blu-rays but using my PS3's an ingrained habit and I'm too lazy to want to eject my PS4 game every time I want to watch something.

Also, I watch a lot of things via DLNA, which works well with the PS3 but was an afterthought on the PS4 and doesn't work very well.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I love Blu-Rays and physical media. I buy Criterions all the time. It's a sickness.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

King of Solomon posted:

You need to beat it with both characters in the PS4 version to unlock the third, unfortunately.

Hugo's actually best for doing hard/Nightmare runs at first because his ranged attacks trivialise some of the enemies. But yeah he's not as much fun to play.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I love Blu-Rays and physical media. I buy Criterions all the time. It's a sickness.
I have them for movies where I want crazy visual fidelity (like Ghibli movies) and movies I know make so much money being sold that they may never be streamed (like Ghibli movies) and movies I need to import from America because no one here knows or cares about them (like Network).

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

They're great and I just mash the "next" button or the menu button when I load a movie and it always skips the junk I don't want to watch.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Going through my games library to settle on something new to play, I just discovered that out of the hundreds of games in the list, more than half are remasters or remakes of games from earlier systems and most of the rest are indies.

Does this say more about me and what games I go for or are the big studios running out of ideas?

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
I'm sincerely trying my best to solve the mystery and save all the teens in until dawn and I am loving it up really badly, just ruining everything. What a mess

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Everyone was all "haha gently caress you Blockbuster" when they went out of business and now good luck watching a goddamn movie unless it came out like a couple months ago and is at Red Box. The selection of stuff to stream from Netflix, Amazon Prime, cable on-demand, etc. is so lovely. You better believe if it's something I want to see more than once I'm buying a real copy of it. Almost everything comes with a code for digital this days anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just files stuff unless it's something I've already seen and know is good or something I really want. Streaming used to make things easier but now everything is spread over 12 competing services and movie selections are poo poo because all anyone cares about is #bingewatch

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

MPLS to NOLA posted:

I'm sincerely trying my best to solve the mystery and save all the teens in until dawn and I am loving it up really badly, just ruining everything. What a mess

You are doing it right

Also they are the oldest looking teens ever they all look about 40. I know it's tradition in these sorts of things but it is a video game they could have made them look a little younger

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ElwoodCuse posted:

Everyone was all "haha gently caress you Blockbuster" when they went out of business and now good luck watching a goddamn movie unless it came out like a couple months ago and is at Red Box. The selection of stuff to stream from Netflix, Amazon Prime, cable on-demand, etc. is so lovely. You better believe if it's something I want to see more than once I'm buying a real copy of it. Almost everything comes with a code for digital this days anyway.

I mean you could also just use the DVD side of Netflix. Most people don't but it's still there and unlike streaming they don't lose movie rights.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

...! posted:

Going through my games library to settle on something new to play, I just discovered that out of the hundreds of games in the list, more than half are remasters or remakes of games from earlier systems and most of the rest are indies.

Does this say more about me and what games I go for or are the big studios running out of ideas?

Not everyone had a PS3, and you're forgetting that a lot of those games are a decade old now :corsair:.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

...! posted:

you

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Uh. You know you can rent anything digitally the day it comes out right? For the same price or less than a blockbuster rental even. Video rental stores are totally irrelevant at this point. And Redbox gets movies the same time Blockbuster would have. The only reason Redbox is relevant is that you'll save a few bucks if you are diligent enough to return it the next day which few people are+the impulse buy factor.

...! posted:

Remakes probably account for 1% of games on PS4 so it's you. Not that theres anything wrong with that. Most games get remade for a reason.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

We have Movie Madness in Portland and it owns.

http://moviemadnessvideo.com/about/

But I also like collecting rare movies. Working at a cinema causes said mental illness.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

for awhile there a few years ago family video was trying to compete with streaming services and doing this thing where you could spend like ten bucks to get unlimited monthly video game rentals. it was only one game out at a time but it was also next to the subway. man. i miss video stores.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mankind Divided is £5 at Tesco, not sure I've ever seen anything go down that far before unless they were clearing out years old stock.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rental stores that are still around have a novel appeal. I love browsing, but in then end it just feels like 2 trips I didn't need to make. Collecting stuff is the opposite of necessity though. If you want a big shelf full of movies you are gonna want a big shelf full of movies. You know I'm the last person to call anyone out on having a large cabinet full of unnecessary crap.

Video games are weird in that they actually have a number of reasons to exist on disc still imo.

Sakurazuka posted:

Mankind Divided is £5 at Tesco, not sure I've ever seen anything go down that far before unless they were clearing out years old stock.

Not a great game, but totally worth playing and a steal at that price.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

Jesus Christ, thats absurd for a physical release in Tesco, hope thats a nation-wide thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.tesco.com/direct/deus-ex-mankind-divided-ps4/362-6801.prd?skuId=362-6801&pageLevel=sku&icid=spiffy_deus%20ex_362-6801_deus%20e

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of cheap games, found a copy of Horizon for £10. Most likely a mistake on the store's part but heyo. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

veni veni veni posted:

Uh. You know you can rent anything digitally the day it comes out right? For the same price or less than a blockbuster rental even. Video rental stores are totally irrelevant at this point. And Redbox gets movies the same time Blockbuster would have. The only reason Redbox is relevant is that you'll save a few bucks if you are diligent enough to return it the next day which few people are+the impulse buy factor.

The point though isn't renting new releases, it's ease of access to older titles. Cable companies will always get new releases on demand and red box will stock them as soon as they can, but if you want something older than a year good luck. Blockbuster did a nice job of carrying enough new releases to meet demand but also had a favorites or classics or whatever line that was older and had a good selection. If I know I'm going to watch something more than once I'll absolutely buy it.