Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Three Olives posted:

Mounted TVs are a grey area, the mount at very least probably becomes property of your landlord, the TV is questionable. Several years ago I was working with a home builder who was offering one of our products as a buyer incentive for a new home development, their lawyers insisted that our product although free standing must be physically attached to the house and installed before the title transferred to keep things on the up and up legally. Grills had a screw and a tether chain to the brick, TVs were mounted on the wall, etc.

The TVs were an aside, the TV/TV mount situation legally is questionable, but this is a home automation thread and what is not questionable is things like smart switches, thermostats, smoke detectors, garage door openers, etc, those are most defiantly fixtures legally and if you install them in your rental property they are legally the property of your landlord as a home improvement in most if not all jurisdictions. Granted as long as the original device is reinstalled and there isn't any damage before you move out it will likely not be an issue at all but if your landlord decides to be a dick that Nest you installed in your apartment is their property the second you took the old one off and screwed the back-plate into the wall.

It's almost certainly not going to be an issue but it is something that people should keep in mind before installing high dollar equipment into a landlord's property that might be a dick about it.

So what home security system should I install?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Never believe 3O.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Never believe 3O.

I'm in this niche sub sub forum and people know him. Impressive.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Burt Sexual posted:

Unlimited, well below 100$ a month. Adt is like 52$ for their "gold" which doesn't do garages and some other poo poo. Like cameras are a secondary thought on their webpage.

What's wrong with Verint in your experience? I just contacted a current neighbor and they said it's great. Good service, 2 year contract, and better features.

I live next to jastiger if that helps.

E: what good is a security system that doesn't call you/the coppers? Seems like a yospos yank job.

Vivint is famed for being massive dicks about contracts. They are supposed to be better now but I wouldn't deal with them. And I wouldn't look at the website but call one of the local ADT sales people. What you want is probably going to involve some actual integration of things and to some degree that's custom. Not exotic in this case but I can imagine it's not something they'd put on their website.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Thomamelas posted:

Vivint is famed for being massive dicks about contracts. They are supposed to be better now but I wouldn't deal with them. And I wouldn't look at the website but call one of the local ADT sales people. What you want is probably going to involve some actual integration of things and to some degree that's custom. Not exotic in this case but I can imagine it's not something they'd put on their website.

Thx I'll go in eyes wide. But itt at SA age being 30 avg there's one guy with input? Smh.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Burt Sexual posted:

Thx I'll go in eyes wide. But itt at SA age being 30 avg there's one guy with input? Smh.

Go with a local company. They should be able to install a system with constant monitoring that dials out to the cops. You can probably get someone to do everything you are asking but it's probably easier to find someone to do a camera system separate from the alarm.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Go with a local company. They should be able to install a system with constant monitoring that dials out to the cops. You can probably get someone to do everything you are asking but it's probably easier to find someone to do a camera system separate from the alarm.

Thx. That sounds like a hassle with an integrated app. Like not at all.?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Do you have a system? What one? Any adt users out there?

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Vivint is overpriced, I signed with them, then immediately priced the products I was getting on amazon. To cancel the contract, you have to have the loving thing at their main office in three days, so I was down 30 bucks to expidite the cancellation.

Instead I just got a dahua dome poe camera and have it email me motion detected pictures with a seperate gmail account. I am planning on going wired sensors but haven't gone farther than planning.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Gardenator posted:

Vivint is overpriced, I signed with them, then immediately priced the products I was getting on amazon. To cancel the contract, you have to have the loving thing at their main office in three days, so I was down 30 bucks to expidite the cancellation.

Instead I just got a dahua dome poe camera and have it email me motion detected pictures with a seperate gmail account. I am planning on going wired sensors but haven't gone farther than planning.

Any time you get a service from someone they are going to charge more than Amazon. That's very normal. Also this poster was looking for a company with a monitoring service.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

CharlesM posted:

Any time you get a service from someone they are going to charge more than Amazon. That's very normal. Also this poster was looking for a company with a monitoring service.

Monitoring service is separate from the actual product you can get installed. For example, door and window sensors do not only work for ADT. Thus, the option to price out product from other places like say amazon. In my experience as a person who almost bought through Vivint, I priced the door and window sensors on amazon. I then subtracted that amount from the cost of the Vivint contract, and discovered that the service portion was quite expensive.

I was excited for time warner's new (at the time) monitoring service, but as I stated earlier did not get past the planning stage.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Burt Sexual posted:

Do you have a system? What one? Any adt users out there?

Yes it's a system through a local Houston company. It uses a Honeywell panel. Has an app as well. I believe you can integrate cameras as well but I didn't like what they offered so I went with a separate company. I just want cameras to keep a record after something happens, I am not going to watch them all day while I'm out working.

From googling that honeywell system has z-wave capabilities so looks like the garage door openers could work

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Gardenator posted:

The Gardenator posted:

Monitoring service is separate from the actual product you can get installed. For example, door and window sensors do not only work for ADT. Thus, the option to price out product from other places like say amazon. In my experience as a person who almost bought through Vivint, I priced the door and window sensors on amazon. I then subtracted that amount from the cost of the Vivint contract, and discovered that the service portion was quite expensive.

I was excited for time warner's new (at the time) monitoring service, but as I stated earlier did not get past the planning stage.

Did you or not sign up with vivint? I'm confused. How long was the contract? Cost? Coverage?

My neighbor is swearing that they are great. And had to call customer service twice. And had user error false triggers that they responded to immediately. Maybe I'm the goon in the well.

I don't have the time or patience to piece meal a system together. I have more money than time in that respect. I do systems architecture by trade, but get paid more doing that.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I've got a city park in my backyard and now that my neighbors have put up a fence, my yard is the easiest path for foot traffic.

I'd like to put up a camera to keep an eye on things. Low-light performance is important. I see some gushing posts about Dahua Starlight turrets on ipcamtalk. Are they still a good choice?

Looks like they have about a 90 degree FOV, but I'm not sure if that's wide enough to see my whole back line. Anything similar but wider or fisheyed?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

I've got a city park in my backyard and now that my neighbors have put up a fence, my yard is the easiest path for foot traffic.

I'd like to put up a camera to keep an eye on things. Low-light performance is important. I see some gushing posts about Dahua Starlight turrets on ipcamtalk. Are they still a good choice?

Looks like they have about a 90 degree FOV, but I'm not sure if that's wide enough to see my whole back line. Anything similar but wider or fisheyed?

A 90 degree field of view may or may not cover it depending on how far away from the camera you are trying to see.

So these are examples of the same camera at 20ft, 30ft, and 50ft. So understanding how far away you're trying to see matters. Hemispherical lenses will give wider fields of view but introduce distortion and generally have a limited focal distance. The Dahua Starlight cameras are fairly good but some of this is going to depend on what your goal with the video is? Is it for alerts that someone has wandered onto the property or trying to hand to law enforcement for identification purposes?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Burt Sexual posted:

Did you or not sign up with vivint? I'm confused. How long was the contract? Cost? Coverage?

My neighbor is swearing that they are great. And had to call customer service twice. And had user error false triggers that they responded to immediately. Maybe I'm the goon in the well.

I don't have the time or patience to piece meal a system together. I have more money than time in that respect. I do systems architecture by trade, but get paid more doing that.
I think you'd be better served looking on Yelp or Angie's List than this thread.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Thomamelas posted:

A 90 degree field of view may or may not cover it depending on how far away from the camera you are trying to see.

So these are examples of the same camera at 20ft, 30ft, and 50ft. So understanding how far away you're trying to see matters. Hemispherical lenses will give wider fields of view but introduce distortion and generally have a limited focal distance. The Dahua Starlight cameras are fairly good but some of this is going to depend on what your goal with the video is? Is it for alerts that someone has wandered onto the property or trying to hand to law enforcement for identification purposes?

Overlaying on a satellite image was a good idea, and now I'm not sure if theres any way a single 90 degree camera could be sufficient. I'd really like to be able to identify someone coming out from under the treeline between the fences drawn in yellow, but this arrangement doesn't cover left side much at all. Thoughts? I was planning to mount under my eaves, up 2 stories.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

CharlesM posted:

I think you'd be better served looking on Yelp or Angie's List than this thread.

Ok then. I was directed to this nerd infested thread for home security advice. Thread title does not deliver. Continue the yank off.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Burt Sexual posted:

Ok then. I was directed to this nerd infested thread for home security advice. Thread title does not deliver. Continue the yank off.

I was sort of half-reading the thread sporadically and didn't pick up on your request till now, so for that, I apologize. Don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for, but my coworker swears by SimpliSafe. I think their camera system is relatively new and possibly unproven, so maybe pair it with Arlo instead? I'm using Arlo now with reasonable results.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Can't say enough on how awesome the nest cameras are. They really are worth it

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I don't see the point of nest cameras since everything else is cheaper with better quality and you don't have to pay the cloud fees.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

I know that I know everything that happens in my yard or in my house within seconds and it's so amazingly easy to set up. You don't need the many other components to make it work.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
The Nest cam has a place as a simple, easy to set up and use camera. If you want a serious security set up, then you'd want proper hard wired IP cameras, an NVR, etc.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Frank Dillinger posted:

The Nest cam has a place as a simple, easy to set up and use camera. If you want a serious security set up, then you'd want proper hard wired IP cameras, an NVR, etc.

You have a point. Their install video for the outdoor Nest is pretty funny since they are just like plug in somewhere outside and maybe you should paint your cable? The labor intensive part is running cables but it's easy to find a company that will do that at a reasonable cost for a proper hardwired solution.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

DangerZoneDelux posted:

You have a point. Their install video for the outdoor Nest is pretty funny since they are just like plug in somewhere outside and maybe you should paint your cable? The labor intensive part is running cables but it's easy to find a company that will do that at a reasonable cost for a proper hardwired solution.

Sheesh. It isn't that tough. I have it through a window and plugged into an outlet. The window closes all the way. I don't need a DVR. I don't need a computer or anything else. Works right out of the box.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

Overlaying on a satellite image was a good idea, and now I'm not sure if theres any way a single 90 degree camera could be sufficient. I'd really like to be able to identify someone coming out from under the treeline between the fences drawn in yellow, but this arrangement doesn't cover left side much at all. Thoughts? I was planning to mount under my eaves, up 2 stories.

A wider field of view would work. However, doing some quick napkin math shows that trying to cover the treeline with one camera is gonna result in a pretty poor level of detail. Assuming the area is fairly well lit, you'd expect something in the ballpark of 24 ppf which will identify someone as a person and not much more. It also assumes a 5 mp camera. During the day you might get hair color, a rough idea of height and if they are really light or dark skinned, race. A wider field of view will make that worse. Two cameras would be a better solution with narrower fields of view.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Piggy Smalls posted:

Sheesh. It isn't that tough. I have it through a window and plugged into an outlet. The window closes all the way. I don't need a DVR. I don't need a computer or anything else. Works right out of the box.

Yeah I wasn't saying it was tough. That type of cable management makes me cringe

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

azurite posted:

I was sort of half-reading the thread sporadically and didn't pick up on your request till now, so for that, I apologize. Don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for, but my coworker swears by SimpliSafe. I think their camera system is relatively new and possibly unproven, so maybe pair it with Arlo instead? I'm using Arlo now with reasonable results.

I've had the Arlo Pro system running since, technically, before it was available for sale. I hate it at this point. It has all of the downsides of wireless cameras, a lovely app, and some bugs that render it pointless at times (up to 30 sec gap between recordings, for example). I'd buy something else but my wife would murder me for wasting ~$700.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Frank Dillinger posted:

If you want simple and easy to setup just get ring.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I have a Ring Pro and it works amazing to cover my front porch, door, and garage door (it faces sideways, not straight out from my door).

I want to pair it with a couple of Arlo Pro cameras to monitor my driveway and my backyard. My neighbor has them, and the recording delay is small enough that it still works for my intended purpose (the Ring is instant, and more reliable since it's hard wired).

What I would like to do is set both the Ring and Arlo up in SmartThings to not record or notify us when they sense movement while we are home during the day. But I want them to record and notify us of movement at night or while we are away from home. Is this something that I can set up using my (and my wife's) phones as presence sensors? Our schedules are too varied to set up just a fixed schedule in the settings.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
My Miagi coworker jammed a Panasonic BL-C131 camera in my face and told me I have 2 weeks to get it working with my Control4 system.

No power plug, no specific driver, not even certain the camera is functional. 99.999999999% of power supplies are 12v. This one is 9v and having a hell of a time figuring out the correct head for the plug. I could toss money at amazon or ebay for an "adapter" power cord for the camera, but I really dont want to roll the dice.

edit: And the plug has to be right angle because panasonic is dumb and placed the socket at a right angle inside the base opening.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Fog Tripper posted:

My Miagi coworker jammed a Panasonic BL-C131 camera in my face and told me I have 2 weeks to get it working with my Control4 system.

No power plug, no specific driver, not even certain the camera is functional. 99.999999999% of power supplies are 12v. This one is 9v and having a hell of a time figuring out the correct head for the plug. I could toss money at amazon or ebay for an "adapter" power cord for the camera, but I really dont want to roll the dice.

edit: And the plug has to be right angle because panasonic is dumb and placed the socket at a right angle inside the base opening.

Thing is ancient and like 640x480 max, go buy something else if you can.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

CharlesM posted:

Thing is ancient and like 640x480 max, go buy something else if you can.

This is a test. He's the main C4 guy in the company and I am doing the automation programmer training. That said I will probably get something set up long term if anyone has recommendations that are C4 compatible and has specific existing drivers.

This is all putting the cart before the horse, as my on-sight C4 training isn't scheduled till mid August.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Fog Tripper posted:

Panasonic designed those to kinda be their own little thing, so they don't behave like other Panasonic cameras. And they are designed to be kind of a pain in the rear end as a deterrent against integrators trying to sell them. The wireless on them is crap and barely works, you'll save some sanity if you avoid using it. You can verify it's working correctly based on the LED on the front. If it's green you're good. If it's amber or off then you're hosed. And it loves to default to 10.10.1.253 or 192.168.1.253 if the coworker didn't give you the IP address or documentation.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I have a couple foscam FI9821P IP cameras, which are fine for remote viewing, but I am wanting to get some 24-hour recording going. I have a raspberry pi sitting in a box but I'm dumb as dogshit with that sort of thing. Before I sit down with this guide that may or may not even work for me, are there any easy solutions that don't cost a ton? (Paying a monthly fee for cloud service doesn't sound appealing to me)

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Friend posted:

I have a couple foscam FI9821P IP cameras, which are fine for remote viewing, but I am wanting to get some 24-hour recording going. I have a raspberry pi sitting in a box but I'm dumb as dogshit with that sort of thing. Before I sit down with this guide that may or may not even work for me, are there any easy solutions that don't cost a ton? (Paying a monthly fee for cloud service doesn't sound appealing to me)

You've already got the Pi. MotionEyeOS is a prebuilt image that probably does everything you want without touching the command line. Just flash it to an SD card and go.

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
Any recommendations for a baby cam/monitor? The discrete devices seem lovely and pricey for what you get and seem to break every few months, but maybe I'm over thinking this.We currently have no security cams or gear. We own the house and can run network cable if need be. Currently using Ubiquiti AP and router for the network. Ideally we'd get audio and video view-able on android devices. I don't want anything being broadcast to the internet/3rd parties or a monthly fee. I do IT work so a complicated to setup is OK by me. Under $250 is ideal. Thanks!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

robotindisguise posted:

Any recommendations for a baby cam/monitor? The discrete devices seem lovely and pricey for what you get and seem to break every few months, but maybe I'm over thinking this.We currently have no security cams or gear. We own the house and can run network cable if need be. Currently using Ubiquiti AP and router for the network. Ideally we'd get audio and video view-able on android devices. I don't want anything being broadcast to the internet/3rd parties or a monthly fee. I do IT work so a complicated to setup is OK by me. Under $250 is ideal. Thanks!

Before our baby was born last year i dug into this quite a bit. However most stuff was either mad expensive, or poorly programmed, or not covering features we considered really important.

In the end we went with a non-smart option, but are really happy with the product. Phone posting so I don't have a link, but look up "Infant optics". Only transmits to a dedicated viewer, but we really love it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is the transmission encrypted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Is the transmission encrypted?

If I recall it uses frequency hopping to hide the signal. I don't think it uses packet encryption. Trying to look it up on my phone, but no luck on a definitive answer yet.