Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Black August
Sep 28, 2003

He's gonna replace the Grand Angel and take over caring for Zen-chans and will do 800,000% better

Soon all 18 universes will know and love Satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bushmaori posted:

People have been of the opinion that Trunks and Goten got it easy because their fathers had achieved it before they were conceived - saiyabiology and all that. In this case the new SSJs weren't able to use this sort of genetic nepotism to give themselves the shortcut. I mean I think that's just headcannon anyway, as to my knowledge nothing about how Trunks and Goten got it so easily was ever stated officially.

That doesn't make sense anyway because Trunks was conceived before Vegeta became a Super Saiyan,

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nessus posted:

For myself I'd rather be talking about Naruto than "another website has users who have lovely opinions"

On the whole topic of God ki, has anyone else managed to crack it open? I actually was surprised when I watched earlier Super, because I expected the whole reason for Vegeta watching the Goku/Beerus tussle was so that he could just abruptly pop red and grin some time later. Maybe they decided against doing that.

They've been oddly weird with God ki. Goku and Vegeta switch to it when they go blue, but dudes like the Trio De Dangers have undetectable ki too and nobody comments on them having god ki.

As for Vegeta grinning, it's a running theme with Vegeta that despite how much he bitches about Goku he really loves whenever he gets to see any Saiyan do something amazing in battle. It's also why he was staring off in the distance and grinning when Goku and Gohan were having their punch up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think people have put much thought into their internal rationalizations for why trunks and goten could go super saiyan. some people probably have ideas even dumber than back tingles, but they're their ideas and they make sense to them

adding that explanation was always gonna get this response I think. even if it were cabba teaching a dude, I really don't think people would like that stuff. just like caulifla would probably get detractors even if she went ss normally because she's a girl

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Caros posted:

Someone claims that people dislike Caulifla based on gender, and people respond with multiple variations of "No, we dislike her because the way she is gaining power boosts to put her on par with the main cast is lazy and cheapens their accomplishments"

I'm sure you could find actual examples of people being misogynistic as gently caress because, you know, reddit. But I'm not sure what exactly you thought you were proving here.

I guess I'd need to grill each and every commenter on how they feel about zenkai.

Frankly, every aspect of the saiyan race is lazy bullshit. Nearly kill me for power boost. Have a half earthling child for power boost. Tense back for power boost. I lump all of these together into the "cheap power up BS" category, and it makes no sense to be upset about one over the other.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Goten and Trunks went Super Saiyan because they are high energy little kids which is who the show is designed for, so they threw the little shits the old gold so kids could run around and buy merch and costumes and have fun pretending to tingle their backs, and now girls can too

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Black August posted:

He's gonna replace the Grand Angel and take over caring for Zen-chans and will do 800,000% better

Soon all 18 universes will know and love Satan

The fact that Mr. Satan was not invited to watch the Tournament of Power is really sad.

Since his introduction, Mr. Satan has always been there to support and help the heroes however he can.

It's just not the same without him :(

You've changed Dragon Ball, you've changed.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

lezard_valeth posted:

You've changed Dragon Ball, you've changed.

It hasn't changed at all. Satan and family were there to enjoy a cosmic level match with 6 and 7, and it proved a good thing for everyone until Zeno showed up. The ToP isn't allowing any spectators that aren't Destroyers and Kaioshin, because they're all going to be erased from existence. This is a closed door blindfold russian roulette show for Zen-chan, and not a single rear end in a top hat who is going to be wiped out is going to get to see what goes down or influence it in any way.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

That doesn't make sense anyway because Trunks was conceived before Vegeta became a Super Saiyan,

Half true is true enough when it comes to nerds hating women

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?
I guess it's not that bad being erased. Since you literally don't exist anymore and the residents of the universe won't even know what hit them.

The real trauma comes from being the victor and knowing u are the cause 7 universes were wiped out. It's something you have to live with.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Black August posted:

It hasn't changed at all. Satan and family were there to enjoy a cosmic level match with 6 and 7, and it proved a good thing for everyone until Zeno showed up. The ToP isn't allowing any spectators that aren't Destroyers and Kaioshin, because they're all going to be erased from existence. This is a closed door blindfold russian roulette show for Zen-chan, and not a single rear end in a top hat who is going to be wiped out is going to get to see what goes down or influence it in any way.

Well, except for the part that before Zeno showed up Champa was about to destroy his entire team for no other reason than because they lost and Beerus dropped an incredibly thinly veiled threat at Goku to not dare to intervene.

Zeno is basically just doing the same thing on a larger scale.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My only complaint about Universe 6 SSJs is that they had literally no concept of of what that even was until the Universe 6 vs 7 match. With the Saiyans from 7, you could at least argue that everyone had a template to follow, and most of them at least trained with someone who had already achieved SSJ before getting there themselves. The U6 people (and I'm including Cabba here) just kinda kickstart their own "super saiyan bargain sale" out of nowhere.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
My favorite part about the back tingles is that it makes sense to how ki is treated in mysticism in real life and it means super saiyan might not actually be unique to saiyans.

Even a human should be able to tap into their back ki.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mordaedil posted:

My favorite part about the back tingles is that it makes sense to how ki is treated in mysticism in real life and it means super saiyan might not actually be unique to saiyans.

Even a human should be able to tap into their back ki.

gonna guess that there's just a difference in saiyan biology that makes back ki the super saiyan trigger

e: now that I think about it has dragonball ever had the traditional martial arts villain of "whoops I hit all your pressure points and now you can't use ki anymore" outside of taopaipai doing it to general blue one time and never again

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That's something I wish DBZ would borrow from early JoJo. Hamon use required controlled breathing, so there's a whole host of ways to interfere with it.

Disallowing flight in the tournament of power is sorta like that...but everyone can still jump as far as they need to, apparently.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Nessus posted:

For myself I'd rather be talking about Naruto than "another website has users who have lovely opinions"

On the whole topic of God ki, has anyone else managed to crack it open? I actually was surprised when I watched earlier Super, because I expected the whole reason for Vegeta watching the Goku/Beerus tussle was so that he could just abruptly pop red and grin some time later. Maybe they decided against doing that.

I'm disgusted that people on SA are making fun of Reddit. When have we ever done that before?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

jivjov posted:

My only complaint about Universe 6 SSJs is that they had literally no concept of of what that even was until the Universe 6 vs 7 match. With the Saiyans from 7, you could at least argue that everyone had a template to follow, and most of them at least trained with someone who had already achieved SSJ before getting there themselves. The U6 people (and I'm including Cabba here) just kinda kickstart their own "super saiyan bargain sale" out of nowhere.

Neither did Goku?

Vegeta didn't know anything other than the theoretical legend.

But your complaint is also wrong because

Cabba literally did train with a SSJ(Vegeta) it was in a fight setting but he is literally triggered by Vegeta playing the dick.

As he was the one actual SSJ that trained with Caulifla and Kale. Who are the only 3 to have that form in U6.

Wanna complain about speed sure. But 5 minutes in the frieza arc lol, and Cabba had like 30+ hours to train.

This could be wrong but, Also like hadn't Trunks and Goten never seen their Dad or brother or go SSJ before. They did it themselves I know Goten hadn't as Gohan would have no reason to.

Vegeta also seemed to do most of his training in his base form.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 15, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I dunno; it just feels way more rushed than any other SSJ moment. Trunks and Goten at least have the excuse of being blood descendants of super saiyans, who potentially could have seen the form a few times before (although, as you say, we don't know that for sure).

With the U6 Saiyans, it just feels like the writers wanted to just give them SSJ to serve the plot, not to serve their own characters. Hopefully we learn more about them, and it'll feel less like that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

jivjov posted:

I dunno; it just feels way more rushed than any other SSJ moment. Trunks and Goten at least have the excuse of being blood descendants of super saiyans, who potentially could have seen the form a few times before (although, as you say, we don't know that for sure).

With the U6 Saiyans, it just feels like the writers wanted to just give them SSJ to serve the plot, not to serve their own characters. Hopefully we learn more about them, and it'll feel less like that.

Trunks wasn't a born descendant of a SSJ

Unless you think its like retroactively added to Trunks's ability list, when Vegeta obtained it in space, while he was a baby.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

jivjov posted:

What do you mean by serve the characters? Like Caulifla is pretty straightforward 'I want more power!' saiyan battle lust.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also how the gently caress does having SSJ so easily and then randomly going SSJ 3(which they also have never seen) serve Goten and Trunks' as characters lmao

You are just likely more discerning now than you were when you first saw Dragon Ball Z, and are now able to see how many power ups are pulled from the rear end, than when you were younger you just didn't care.

Get back to the child in you that just didn't care and enjoy the punch-mans

Dexo fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 15, 2017

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

gonna guess that there's just a difference in saiyan biology that makes back ki the super saiyan trigger

e: now that I think about it has dragonball ever had the traditional martial arts villain of "whoops I hit all your pressure points and now you can't use ki anymore" outside of taopaipai doing it to general blue one time and never again

Little did Goku know, Frieza's pressure points were on the opposite side of his body due to his freaky alien genes!

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

jivjov posted:

lol

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

jivjov posted:

With the U6 Saiyans, it just feels like the writers wanted to just give them SSJ to serve the plot, not to serve their own characters.

Yeah they've certainly never done that before. Future Trunks turning Super Saiyan like13 chapters after Goku did wasn't a thing at all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Momomo posted:

Yeah they've certainly never done that before. Future Trunks turning Super Saiyan like13 chapters after Goku did wasn't a thing at all.

Yeah. But future trunks had some story behind that; losing Gohan to the androids and all.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

Frankly, every aspect of the saiyan race is lazy bullshit. Nearly kill me for power boost. Have a half earthling child for power boost. Tense back for power boost. I lump all of these together into the "cheap power up BS" category, and it makes no sense to be upset about one over the other.

:agreed:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Dexo posted:

Also how the gently caress does having SSJ so easily and then randomly going SSJ 3(which they also have never seen) serve Goten and Trunks' as characters lmao

Goten and Trunks are both aware of SSJ3 after Goku powers up to stall Buu and Babidi

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Aurora posted:

Goten and Trunks are both aware of SSJ3 after Goku powers up to stall Buu and Babidi

How does being aware of it allow them to achieve and use the skill? Especially with its whole hard to pull off when alive deal?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The explanation for Super Saiyan 3 was "Go Super Saiyan 2, then look deep inside yourself for power. Like, really really deep inside. Then pull it out." which is another reason I have no problem with back tingles or whatever.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Crabtree posted:

How does being aware of it allow them to achieve and use the skill? Especially with its whole hard to pull off when alive deal?

well Gotenks is actively a Magic Wizard in the same way Majin Buu is an Evil Genie since the Majin Buu arc had a bunch of weird magic stuff.

Not stepping up against Caulifla but Gotenks is literally magic.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Momomo posted:

The explanation for Super Saiyan 3 was "Go Super Saiyan 2, then look deep inside yourself for power. Like, really really deep inside. Then pull it out." which is another reason I have no problem with back tingles or whatever.

The other explanation is
"HEY LOOK WE NEED A NEW FORM TO SELL OUR NEW GAME LOOK IT'S SS3 VEGETA
WAIT NOW IT'S SS3 BARDOCK!
And you get a SS3 form! And you get a SS3! Super Saiyan 3 for everyone!"

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

jivjov posted:

It was rushed, but that's because super saiyan 1 and 2 basically don't matter anymore. All three (four counting Future Trunks) major saiyan characters transcended those forms one way or another. Getting a free ticket to super saiyan 2 just means you're on par with Piccolo now, and he would possibly still win with detachable hand beams or whatever.

I still wanna see Caulifla pull out Blue out of nowhere but until she does who really cares if she gets a couple outdated forms.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

HGH posted:

The other explanation is
"HEY LOOK WE NEED A NEW FORM TO SELL OUR NEW GAME LOOK IT'S SS3 VEGETA
WAIT NOW IT'S SS3 BARDOCK!
And you get a SS3 form! And you get a SS3! Super Saiyan 3 for everyone!"

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
we really need a character who goes SSB (super saiyan beard)

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
Dragonball FighterZ stream from EVO if anyone is interested

E:Looks like most of it is over I missed so much

VVV: one of em said they were wrapping soon, it's a 1-and-out side-tourny I think they're in quarter finals or something, I could be way off though

Je suis fatigue fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 15, 2017

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

it's still going from what I can see? man this game is a treat to watch at 60fps

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Je suis fatigue posted:

Dragonball FighterZ stream from EVO if anyone is interested

E:Looks like most of it is over I missed so much

VVV: one of em said they were wrapping soon, it's a 1-and-out side-tourny I think they're in quarter finals or something, I could be way off though

This looks loving awesome, it's like im a kid again and I just rented Marvel Vs Capcom 2 from blockbuster

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't even like fighting games and I want to play this

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Crabtree posted:

It lets the absurdly powerful Gotenks achieve SSJ3 because the dumb kids saw it and thought it was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Aurora posted:

It lets the absurdly powerful Gotenks achieve SSJ3 because the dumb kids saw it and thought it was cool

Like it's seriously annoying. Here Goku drink this water and now you can fight Piccolo, zenkai boosts, learning the kamehameha after seeing it once, doing a kamehameha with your feet. Golden Frieza ,Gohan's mystic form I really could go all day.

• Locked thread