Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

Big game Hunter
Ovinomancer
Wasteland strangler
Any fiend Hunter variant

That's all I got.

garza's assassin and fiend hunters are probably as close as i'm gonna get. ovinomancer is a spicy fuckin meatball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
just played my build of RG Bees on xmage (though running Blossoming Defense instead of 2x Volcano Hellion, because Xmage seems to lack that card for reasons unknown).

G1, my death and taxes opponent taxed and killed me out of the game.

G2, t2 blood moon let me pick up some tempo, then blossoming defense in response to a path on my hornet's nest, untap, blasphemous act with impact tremors, in for 13 with 13 bees made.

G3, super grindy. Also stabilized behind a blood moon, but it was quickly blown up. Took a bunch of damage from a 3/2 wingmare, eventually kill it, chord two turns in a row for hornet nests, then xenagos into blasphemous act, 26 bees woop woop.

I really don't care if I go 1-3 tonight as long as I get a few games where I make a shitton of bees.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I really don't care if I go 1-3 tonight as long as I get a few games where I make a shitton of bees.

The spirit of FNM.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Speaking of FNM I got back in the saddle for the first time in a couple of months, piloting Titan Breach. Finished 3-1-

R1 vs. Death's Shadow Jund: G1 he never builds up a really threatening board presence, I take a few lumps but go Pact -> Breach -> Titan at the end of his turn 5 to burn him out. SB: -3 Bolt, +2 Relic +1 Thragtusk. G2 he has a bunch of discard but I manage to hold onto a Breach and then draw a Titan and get it out turn 5. 1-0 (2-0)

R2 vs UW Control/Tempo: G1 he taps out for a Wall of Omens turn 4 and pays for it when Breach out Emrakul. SB: -1 Explore, -1 Bolt, +1 Thrag, +1 Trap. G2 I can't maintain a board presence and he counters my few attempts to do anything, then beats me down with Aven Mindcensor and other small critters. SB: +1 Bolt, -1 Baloth (dodges his Spell Quellers). G3 I start off with 2x Trap in hand and eventually get him to counter a critter, then hit Emrakul off the Trap which gets a scoop (first time hitting Emrakul with that card!) 2-0 (4-1)

R3 vs BW Eldrazi: G1 he gets a Reality Smasher into play which hits me a few times, but I cast Titan one turn and then Breach one out the following turn for maximum Valakut. SB: -3 Bolt, +2 Anger +1 Thrag. G2 he hits Thought-Knot Seer turn 2 then Tidehollow Sculler turn 3, plus Lingering Souls. Fortunately I hit a couple of Titans and have just enough triggers to burn his board out, then him with my life total at 1. 3-0 (6-1)

R4 vs Affinity: G1 he get double Inkmoth and Overseer for a turn 3 kill. SB: -2 Explore, -2 Trap, +2 Crumble, +2 Anger (should have been 1 Crumble 3 Anger but it ended up not mattering). G2 he has a wide board but I get a Baloth for defense and Titan to get a turn away from the kill, then he drops a Plating into play and sacs a bunch of creatures to pump an Ornithopter that I can't kill. Except I had a chance to kill it earlier but instead killed a Signal Pest, fearing an alpha strike while low on blockers (which probably would've happened had I torched the Ornithopter instead). Nice guy who shows up to every Modern event, but also gently caress this guy because I lose to him every time we play, no matter what decks we're on. But he's moving in a month so hey, maybe I can get some free wins in the future by virtue of not having to play him! 3-1 (6-3)

Ended up with enough credit for the last Reanimate I need for Legacy and some other crap. Also they were giving out promo Ramunap Excavators, which is rad. Lastly, I got in a little time playing my new Abzan Evolve list, which felt OK but I need more time playing it (also a better manabase). Also Evolution probably sucks against decks with counterspells? Any good anti-control creatures out there for me to try?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Modern is already anti-control.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Tim Raines IRL posted:

just played my build of RG Bees on xmage (though running Blossoming Defense instead of 2x Volcano Hellion, because Xmage seems to lack that card for reasons unknown).

G1, my death and taxes opponent taxed and killed me out of the game.

G2, t2 blood moon let me pick up some tempo, then blossoming defense in response to a path on my hornet's nest, untap, blasphemous act with impact tremors, in for 13 with 13 bees made.

G3, super grindy. Also stabilized behind a blood moon, but it was quickly blown up. Took a bunch of damage from a 3/2 wingmare, eventually kill it, chord two turns in a row for hornet nests, then xenagos into blasphemous act, 26 bees woop woop.

https://youtu.be/SNQhtTfrdS8

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

Modern is already anti-control.

Fair. Maybe I'll switch to straight Little Kid Abzan with some Smiters if the Eldritch Evolution stuff doesn't work as well as I hope it will.

He and a couple other people said UW Control was good (one guy even said Tier 1!) but I've dropped maybe one match to it or UWR Control in the last six months so I'm skeptical. Hasn't stopped me from wanting to build that Esper Walkers deck, though admittedly that's a BW deck that also runs blue.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
There has been talk among pros and a CFB article or two about UW control being a real deck now but I don't think it has taken off or put up results yet.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Main
4 Birds of Paradise
1 Breeding Pool
4 Chord of Calling
4 Collected Company
4 Devoted Druid
1 Duskwatch Recruiter
3 Eternal Witness
2 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Kessig Wolf Run
4 Kitchen Finks
4 Knight of the Reliquary
1 Misty Rainforest
3 Noble Hierarch
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
1 Retreat to Coralhelm
1 Rhonas the Indomitable
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Stomping Ground
2 Temple Garden
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Viscera Seer
4 Vizier of Remedies
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard
2 Ceremonious Rejection
1 Izzet Staticaster
1 Mirran Crusader
1 Nissa, Steward of Elements
3 Path to Exile
2 Qasali Pridemage
1 Scavenging Ooze
2 Unified Will
2 Voice of Resurgence

I took 5-color collected company to FNM, going 4-0 with a split in the fifth round. The deck is basically a hideous frankenstein mashup of knightfall and abzan company.

Round one I beat a casual BW life gain/drain deck, round two I beat conventional abzan company, three was junk, and four was a really difficult match against UW control. I split with a guy on a unique build of grixis shadow with JVP, young pyromancer, and claim to fame (I lost when we played it out for fun).

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Voyager I posted:

There has been talk among pros and a CFB article or two about UW control being a real deck now but I don't think it has taken off or put up results yet.

It's been consistently putting up results within the top 32 of large and small events lately, along with jeskai control. Usually the versions with about 4-5 walkers and no ancestral visions. Apparently Gideon of the Trials is pretty great in the deck now. UW control is a real deck and its a lot of fun too.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I really like playing UW Control. It can do very well against Shadow and Eldrazi Tron. But regular Tron and Titanshift is still a problem if you don't get a Spreading Seas or find the Ghost Quarters.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yeah shadow is a good matchup and it does fine against a lot of other decks, plus tron isn't super popular now. Doesn't seem to be a consensus on what kind of GQ/tech edge split there should be. Gabe Nassif says zero GQ and 4 Tec edge, some people do the opposite. Any deck that lets me play Gideon Jura is a good time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Fingers McLongDong posted:

It's been consistently putting up results within the top 32 of large and small events lately, along with jeskai control. Usually the versions with about 4-5 walkers and no ancestral visions. Apparently Gideon of the Trials is pretty great in the deck now. UW control is a real deck and its a lot of fun too.

I didn't see any walkers from this guy (he had been playing Twin before the ban and has slowly shifted from UWR Kiki to UWR Control to UW Control with a bunch of Flash guys). Come to think of it, I haven't seen any walkers from the people playing this deck around here outside of a Jace AoT in the one match that I did lose :v:

Also I waited too long to pick up Gideon Jura, RIP me.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

vintage friends: Is Managorger Hydra a card you can still play, now that gush and probe are restricted? I'd like to be able to play green because manglehorn is hot, but I don't really like being on the BUG Fish/Leovold plan that I've seen running around. Maybe something like this, based on a few UR lists that have done okay?

//Main
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Harsh Mentor
3 Managorger Hydra
2 Manglehorn

1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Smash to Smithereens
1 Dig Through Time
4 Force of Will
1 Gitaxian Probe
4 Preordain
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mental Misstep
2 Sudden Shock
1 Time Walk
1 Treasure Cruise

1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire

1 Misty Rainforest
1 Island
1 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
1 Strip Mine
2 Cavern of Souls
4 Volcanic Island
4 Wasteland

//Sideboard
2 By Force
4 Grafdigger's Cage
3 Ingot Chewer
2 Mindbreak Trap
3 Sulfur Elemental
1 Tormod's Crypt

Something like this maybe? There's some stuff in here that probably doesn't make sense, Cavern of Souls being the big one. This guy ran it because all of his creatures were human, with young peezy and snaps rounding out the creaturebase. There's also weird poo poo like no ponder and no gush in this list, but I wanted to try this out since the guys on UR obviously had a game plan and I'd like to see how the games play out.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

vintage friends: Is Managorger Hydra a card you can still play, now that gush and probe are restricted? I'd like to be able to play green because manglehorn is hot, but I don't really like being on the BUG Fish/Leovold plan that I've seen running around. Maybe something like this, based on a few UR lists that have done okay?

//Main
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Harsh Mentor
3 Managorger Hydra
2 Manglehorn

1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Smash to Smithereens
1 Dig Through Time
4 Force of Will
1 Gitaxian Probe
4 Preordain
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mental Misstep
2 Sudden Shock
1 Time Walk
1 Treasure Cruise

1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire

1 Misty Rainforest
1 Island
1 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
1 Strip Mine
2 Cavern of Souls
4 Volcanic Island
4 Wasteland

//Sideboard
2 By Force
4 Grafdigger's Cage
3 Ingot Chewer
2 Mindbreak Trap
3 Sulfur Elemental
1 Tormod's Crypt

Something like this maybe? There's some stuff in here that probably doesn't make sense, Cavern of Souls being the big one. This guy ran it because all of his creatures were human, with young peezy and snaps rounding out the creaturebase. There's also weird poo poo like no ponder and no gush in this list, but I wanted to try this out since the guys on UR obviously had a game plan and I'd like to see how the games play out.

Re managorger: right now he's as unplayable as he ever has been. With so much swords to plowshares running around and with some decks playing 4-5 copies of the effect because they have paths too, not to mention snapcasters and jvp he's the least likely to survive he's ever been.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

but i gain one more life when they swords me

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

but i gain one more life when they swords me

I'd still rather have Pyromancers. Also that u/r deck sprung up because primarily Harsh Mentor added a good shops matchup for the people who only owned UR power from when UR Delver was awesome. At least thats my impression of how it came about.

Also the decks that are swordsing you have mentors. Which makes it largely irrelevent how much life you get because mentor is broken as gently caress.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

ya the life gain thing was a joke. i thought maybe trample would be relevant to get through the monks but it's not as though they aren't just time walking and killing you immediately every time

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yeah shadow is a good matchup and it does fine against a lot of other decks, plus tron isn't super popular now. Doesn't seem to be a consensus on what kind of GQ/tech edge split there should be. Gabe Nassif says zero GQ and 4 Tec edge, some people do the opposite. Any deck that lets me play Gideon Jura is a good time.

I'm following the bennyhillz version of the deck.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/687181#paper

2 GotT, 2 Jace, 1 Gideon Jura main deck, 1 Elspeth SB and I'm also running 2 Ally of Zendikar. When I first saw the list I thought it was crazy to run so few Snapcasters but Wall does work, and your PWs are really how you win. With Jeskai you're running more because of the Bolt/Snap/Bolt combo.

https://www.cardknocklife.com/2017/07/02/modern-uw-control-mtgos-bennyhillz/

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
So apparently a mill deck with 4x Fraying Sanity is killing it in Standard, and I'm wondering if Modern Mill wants 4x Fraying Sanity as well.

Deck: UB Mill

//Lands
3 Darkslick Shores
3 Flooded Strand
4 Ghost Quarter
2 Island
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
4 Polluted Delta
2 Shelldock Isle
2 Swamp
2 Watery Grave

//Spells
4 Archive Trap
3 Crypt Incursion
4 Fatal Push
4 Fraying Sanity
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 Mesmeric Orb
4 Surgical Extraction
4 Visions of Beyond

//Creatures
4 Hedron Crab
2 Snapcaster Mage

//Sideboard
2 Damnation
2 Echoing Truth
2 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Lost Legacy
2 Pithing Needle
4 Profane Memento
2 Set Adrift

Display deck statistics

I was originally going to test it as a 2-of but the idea of curving T1 Crab T2 Orb T3 Sanity is making me drool, especially because I've won quite a few games with T1 Crab T2 Orb. However, I feel really dirty completely eliminating Mind Funeral because it shines brightest against aggro decks which are a bad matchup for me. But Funeral has been underperforming for me lately and it's towards the bottom of my list of cards to Snap back. Thoughts?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

I'm following the bennyhillz version of the deck.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/687181#paper

2 GotT, 2 Jace, 1 Gideon Jura main deck, 1 Elspeth SB and I'm also running 2 Ally of Zendikar. When I first saw the list I thought it was crazy to run so few Snapcasters but Wall does work, and your PWs are really how you win. With Jeskai you're running more because of the Bolt/Snap/Bolt combo.

https://www.cardknocklife.com/2017/07/02/modern-uw-control-mtgos-bennyhillz/

I've been on this list for a few weeks too, except I cut one Jace for a 3rd cryptic. I really enjoy it and the land hate package is good enough you can still elgdt underneath Tron if you move fast with Gideon/snappy/colonnade beats. I've really been wanting to go to 25 lands though and add that second Jace back in.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
bant all the things.dek

prolly sleeving this up next week

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I question spending 8 slots on the Druid Combo when you don't really have a mana sink other than casting / chording for Emrakul. Much of Knightfall's strength is that it's a deck full of good cards that pressures the board quickly. You're replacing that with a loooot of individually weak cards and I'm not sure the combo payoff is there, especially since Chording for Emrakul doesn't win the turn you go off.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Going halfway on collected company is really weird, either run four copies with 28+ hits or don't play it at all.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

L0cke17 posted:

Big game Hunter
Ovinomancer
Wasteland strangler
Any fiend Hunter variant

That's all I got.

Literal Nekrataal

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

4 cmc interacts poorly with collected company

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

4 cmc interacts poorly with collected company

Cast Nekrataal, Company into Fickerwisp.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
To elaborate a bit more: mashing together Knightfall and Counters seems kinda like trying to make a hybrid between Twin and Storm. Yeah, they're both decks in the same colors with combo finishes, but they have very different game plans and there's not much synergy between the pieces of the different combos. I guess the fact that they all get hit by company helps, but your Knight probably isn't getting there by itself when all its backup is a bunch of combo dorks, much the same way that you probably don't put Snapcaster and rituals in the same deck.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Tim Raines IRL posted:

bant all the things.dek

prolly sleeving this up next week

Take out the companies and put in new Nissa for another Mana sink.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Take out the companies and put in new Nissa for another Mana sink.

I might just do that, I already have 3 nissas.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I might just do that, I already have 3 nissas.

Two 5/5s the turn she hits at 100000 loyalty could be good

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Modern PPPPPTQ this weekend. Time to figure out how to fit Fraying Sanity in.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

Modern PPPPPTQ this weekend. Time to figure out how to fit Fraying Sanity in.

Be my guinea pig and run this TIA-

C-Euro posted:

So apparently a mill deck with 4x Fraying Sanity is killing it in Standard, and I'm wondering if Modern Mill wants 4x Fraying Sanity as well.

Deck: UB Mill

//Lands
3 Darkslick Shores
3 Flooded Strand
4 Ghost Quarter
2 Island
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
4 Polluted Delta
2 Shelldock Isle
2 Swamp
2 Watery Grave

//Spells
4 Archive Trap
3 Crypt Incursion
4 Fatal Push
4 Fraying Sanity
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 Mesmeric Orb
4 Surgical Extraction
4 Visions of Beyond

//Creatures
4 Hedron Crab
2 Snapcaster Mage

//Sideboard
2 Damnation
2 Echoing Truth
2 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Lost Legacy
2 Pithing Needle
4 Profane Memento
2 Set Adrift

Display deck statistics

I was originally going to test it as a 2-of but the idea of curving T1 Crab T2 Orb T3 Sanity is making me drool, especially because I've won quite a few games with T1 Crab T2 Orb. However, I feel really dirty completely eliminating Mind Funeral because it shines brightest against aggro decks which are a bad matchup for me. But Funeral has been underperforming for me lately and it's towards the bottom of my list of cards to Snap back. Thoughts?

E: This deck owns. Gonna get me some cheap Nahiris once her rotation is coming up.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 17, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Storm won the modern classic. Wizards please ban desperate ritual, deck is too good

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I need two more mesmeric orbs and I don't have the shores.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

I need two more mesmeric orbs and I don't have the shores.

I mostly want to see if 4x Fraying Sanity can work because T1 Crab, T2 Orb, T3 Sanity sounds amazing.

There are a dozen UB duals and you can probably get away with running something else there (in fact I'd be interested to hear if you do) but Orb is really good and you should have 4 between maindeck and sideboard.

:orb:

E: When I play that deck people are always worried about Trap and Glimpse and don't respect the grindier mill cards as much as they should. Orb is the same CMC as Glimpse but because it doesn't mill you all at once it doesn't seem as bad. Then it's milled 10+ cards over a couple turns and suddenly it's better than a Glimpse.

Also there's not a lot of MD artifact hate these days outside of K Command and Abrupt Decay. Maybe the odd Qasali Pridemage or Rec Sage somewhere, but those are usually SB material. That's another reason why I want to try Sanity, since people aren't playing a lot of answers for enchantments.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 17, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

:trumppop:

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Orb also seems to have some synergy with Bontu's Last Reckoning. Not sure if it's good enough but maybe.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Someone sell me orbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Smashing Link posted:

Orb also seems to have some synergy with Bontu's Last Reckoning. Not sure if it's good enough but maybe.

Is there something beyond not milling yourself with your own orbs? not getting to untap with your burn deck seems really, really bad