Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Besides the bullseye being off center as you pointed out:
  • plating on all the hardware looks like it's coming off
  • pickup screws are wrong
  • binding on the headstock accentuates the wrong shape
  • center inlay in the headstock and the truss rod cover are both crooked
  • string nut is a massive plastic thing
  • tuners are not Grovers
  • little Zakk logo on the back is the wrong size and crooked
  • top control plate screws are in the wrong position
My spergy sense is tingling.

Plus no fret nibs
Metric bridge
Control knobs are set waaaayyyy too far back
It has a droopy cut away horn
Pickup surrounds are too wide at the sides
Open book headstock is too long and the open book is the wrong shape
Screws on the rear control panel cover should be equidistant from each other, these are offset a little

It basically ticks every box for being a lovely fake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Concatenation posted:

I've been looking into pedal preamps to make me less reliant on whatever backline I end up with; normally we bring mini tube heads with us but they're annoying to carry and we can't use them in Japan with their 110V power. Japanese venues often provide a Marshall or something so I could run my rig straight into the power amp and not worry about how old and lovely the preamp tubes are (eg. indonesian festival backline is usually early 90s JCMs that have literally never been retubed)

So in theory if I got a preamp pedal (i.e. AC15-style, or whatever) could I plug it into the FX return (with nothing plugged into the front end of the amp) and in theory get just the power amp running? When I put the Digitech Trio into the FX loop it got loud as gently caress

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

So in theory if I got a preamp pedal (i.e. AC15-style, or whatever) could I plug it into the FX return (with nothing plugged into the front end of the amp) and in theory get just the power amp running? When I put the Digitech Trio into the FX loop it got loud as gently caress

Yes you're just using the power amp at that point.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Southern Heel posted:

Yes.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

peter gabriel posted:

Plus no fret nibs
Metric bridge
Control knobs are set waaaayyyy too far back
It has a droopy cut away horn
Pickup surrounds are too wide at the sides
Open book headstock is too long and the open book is the wrong shape
Screws on the rear control panel cover should be equidistant from each other, these are offset a little

It basically ticks every box for being a lovely fake

also, does a real Gibson serial number look that lovely?

if so lol, wouldn't surprise me

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 12, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dewgy posted:

also, does a real Gibson serial number look that lovely?

if so lol, wouldn't surprise me

No, they are much less well defined and shallower on Gibson USA.
The Zakk Wylde should really just be printed on and starts with a Z, I am not really well versed in these though, they may have a few different versions
The serial number doesn't follow the usual rules, a lot of custom shop stuff is like that, my 335 for example is totally different

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gibson and musicians is the most toxic relationship possible between a human and an object.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVBJ0Y7ov5Q

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That's hilarious

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Coohoolin posted:

Do they ship to the UK?

Late, but for UK folk instruments you'll want to go with Hobgoblin. Guarantee that no matter how obscure the instrument they'll have a staff member somewhere in the group who knows their poo poo.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://reverb.com/news/billy-corgan-artist-shop-preview

wanna buy some stupid music poo poo?

(and some actually cool poo poo)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

https://reverb.com/news/billy-corgan-artist-shop-preview

wanna buy some stupid music poo poo?

(and some actually cool poo poo)

God, I'm a Billy Corgan fan, hardcore, and I want so much of what they're putting up. I just rest assured knowing there's no way I can possibly afford any of it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Gibson and musicians is the most toxic relationship possible between a human and an object.

I've said it a million times that the only way to win with Gibson is to get an older USA-made studio/standard, or an artist signature which is not popular but otherwise unremarkable. I got a Bill Kelliher signature (gold w/ blackburst, gold hardware, triple bound body/headstock, bound neck, coil split, lace sensor pickups) for half the price of an LP Standard.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

darkwasthenight posted:

Late, but for UK folk instruments you'll want to go with Hobgoblin. Guarantee that no matter how obscure the instrument they'll have a staff member somewhere in the group who knows their poo poo.

I've been looking at Hobgoblin but they don't quite have what I want. I'm looking for an F style mandolin for bluegrass, folk, and classical stuff within the 1-2k range, from a retailer that does financing.

Has anyone ever used this site before?

http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A friend of mine has a nice little amp that belonged to Billy Corgan. In the 90s my friend lived in this lovely old building on the Lower East Side and Billy Corgan moved in, which seemed crazy since that was close to the peak of his career. So Billy just throws out a little combo amp, I think it's a Fender, and my friend lucks out and finds it first. As I recall it worked perfectly.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

I've said it a million times that the only way to win with Gibson is to get an older USA-made studio/standard, or an artist signature which is not popular but otherwise unremarkable. I got a Bill Kelliher signature (gold w/ blackburst, gold hardware, triple bound body/headstock, bound neck, coil split, lace sensor pickups) for half the price of an LP Standard.

This is what I did, I got a 2004 Standard.
It was 2015 when I bought it and I remember walking up to a wall full of new Les Pauls and being so confused I walked away. It was the year they put robo tuners on everything, widened the necks, put brass nuts on everything. They also had a load of 2014s left with three knobs and a switch.
All I wanted was a normal Gibson and I had the money in my back pocket. I ended up buying mine off a dude on Ebay, he chose me because of my username (it is a Beatles song) - he said he had a fair few offers but wanted me to have it. He used to repair George Harrison's guitars he said. I was a bit sceptical but we then spent about two hours chatting while he showed me pictures of him with the Beatles, the Hollies and a poo poo ton of other famous people and telling me anecdotes.

It was a bit :stare: - I keep in touch with him and send him pics of me playing the guitar live / mp3s of recordings etc and it always cheers him up, he had to stop playing due to an illness.

So in the end I am so glad Gibson went full idiot in 2015.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

What a sweet story. That wasn't stupid at all!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Concatenation posted:

Please tell me your impressions of the model fet because I checked out some videos and am gassing like a motherfuck for this. Might try and build one seeing as the wait time and price are large

From a few pages back but do you have a schematic for that? I'd like to make one.

E- or is there a kit? Either way I'm interested.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Snowy posted:

From a few pages back but do you have a schematic for that? I'd like to make one.

No. You can buy it here: http://www.electronicaudioexperiments.com/model-fet/ or John runs a whole free DIY site that, if you are someone who likes to build pedals, should make you very excited: http://www.electronicaudioexperiments.com/diy/

He's giving away more circuits than he's even selling.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

No. You can buy it here: http://www.electronicaudioexperiments.com/model-fet/ or John runs a whole free DIY site that, if you are someone who likes to build pedals, should make you very excited: http://www.electronicaudioexperiments.com/diy/

He's giving away more circuits than he's even selling.

:eyepop: cool thank you! That mojo titan sounds like fun. Got my heart set on that fet though so maybe I'll have to just buy one.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Snowy posted:

There's a full tagboard layout of a Model T pedal-style preamp here (this site owns btw) http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com.au/2016/09/sunn-model-t-1st-gen-preamp.html. Relies on having increasingly rare J201s though.

I'm looking for the exact the schematic though and they won't release it, presumably to avoid treading on anyone's toes. Could reverse engineer it from the tagboard layout but :effort:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Oh hell yes I'm making that thank you!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Snowy posted:

:eyepop: cool thank you! That mojo titan sounds like fun. Got my heart set on that fet though so maybe I'll have to just buy one.

You will not regret buying the feT. It has a good dimed sound on its own but definitely try pushing it with fuzzes.

Just ordered 3 Music Man HD Preamps and 3 Mojo Titans. :grin:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Concatenation posted:

There's a full tagboard layout of a Model T pedal-style preamp here (this site owns btw) http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com.au/2016/09/sunn-model-t-1st-gen-preamp.html. Relies on having increasingly rare J201s though.

I'm looking for the exact the schematic though and they won't release it, presumably to avoid treading on anyone's toes. Could reverse engineer it from the tagboard layout but :effort:

John Snyder is about as respected as it gets by pedal nerds so it is not surprising there is a bit of reverence here.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So here's some loving stupid poo poo.

I go to work in the afternoon and at 4:00, the local lowest-common-denominator classic rock station (which I occasionally listen to just because I scan past and goddammit, they're playing Suffragette City) does a stupid contest every day at that time. Well, the theory is pretty reasonable. It's called Connect Four, and they play four "connected" songs and you call in and tell them what the connection is. The first time I heard it, the first song came up and I started thinking year of release, producer, label, the artists involved, etc. You could do some fun, difficult things with this, right?

No.

That first day, they start with Manic Monday, and I'm thinking "Hm, written by Prince? California in the 80s?"

They then immediately follow it with Sunday, Bloody Sunday, Saturday in the Park, and Friday I'm in Love. Fuckery.

Another day, they decided to do America by playing Born in the USA, American Woman, Breakfast in America, and Philadelphia Freedom. Philadelphia Freedom? Are you that loving strapped for songs with America in the title?

The same week, they did one where they played Breakdown, Don't Come Around Here No More, I Won't Back Down and...You Got Lucky? I don't loving remember IT WAS FOUR TOM PETTY SONGS.

Today, it was Just Like Heaven, Enjoy the Silence, Cars and Tainted Love, which the DJ (the same one that, now that I think about it, several months ago referred to a particular ex-Fugee as "Wyclef Gene") heavily implied that the answer was GOTHS because radio is a land of morons. I should know, I went to school trying to get into that business.

Oh, also they play Purple Rain basically daily but cut it off when the guitar solo starts, because they chop off the end of any song that involves lengthy solos and no lyrics to fit MORE HITS in.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Radio in general is the worst and always has been. The vast majority of stations around here play the same hits they've been playing since the 90s plus any other required hits since. It's always the same. You get maybe a few new pop songs that are charting high and then the same recycled as always hit roster.

Radio sucks. And it's not like there's not a good selection of new music to pick from. I love the range of music and artists we have available to us now and I honestly think we have just as much if not more good music to pick from than ever. But nope, gotta get that new Swift single in.

God I come off as a hipster but I don't mind new pop songs. I mean, I don't love most of them, but they're usually inoffensive and bland but not annoying. The biggest problem is it's like 3 new songs and then the same things, over and over. Are people that scared of music they aren't familiar with?

I get stations are trying to appeal to the masses and are therefore trying to keep their attention with songs they recognise or are singable and catchy but there's a reason Spotify and the like are becoming ever more popular. Why suffer through 12 songs you don't care about with a DJ that annoys the poo poo out of you just for the chance to hear one song you actually like? Just Spotify/Pandora/loving YouTube that poo poo.

Radio has always sucked, now we just have alternatives.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i'm amazed you have a station cool enough to play prince

here if it's not gospel, contemporary christian, neo-fascist talk radio, or country, it's the one station that plays nothing but foreigner and journey with an occasional eagles tune to break up the monotony

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Here is Este from HAIM making the best bass face, on national television.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
It's like she's playing some sort of vr game where she's a whale shark filter feeding. But I guess when you're Haim you gotta do whatever you can to distract the audience so they don't pay attention to the music l

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Aw man, these 120bpm root notes are really loving strenuous

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

for fucks sake posted:

Here is Este from HAIM making the best bass face, on national television.

Hahah oh god I have to look up who HAIM is now.

edit: hahaha this is dogshit of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2HjKoXF88A

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Oh god it's Wilson Phillips all over again

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I think her bass has some sort of electrical short and it keeps grounding whenever she touches the strings. Also Haim is very boring.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I listened to Haim once because I kept seeing them mentioned and thought hey I'm always down to hear all female groups. I hosed up it was bad.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
they're basically a machine learning algorithm that was fed only 80s and 90s adult contemporary radio playlists

if i'm getting a dental checkup i'd rather hear that than ed sheeran or lumineers or whatever

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I think her bass has some sort of electrical short and it keeps grounding whenever she touches the strings. Also Haim is very boring.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Hahah oh god I have to look up who HAIM is now.

edit: hahaha this is dogshit of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2HjKoXF88A

she's got that stank face in this video too, looks like a common thing.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

I listened to Haim once because I kept seeing them mentioned and thought hey I'm always down to hear all female groups. I hosed up it was bad.

Yeah they've got this crazy level of buzz in some circles and it's just constantly baffling to me. They're just so staggeringly boring.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah they've got this crazy level of buzz in some circles and it's just constantly baffling to me. They're just so staggeringly boring.

but it's a girl group! you have to like them

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i'm amazed you have a station cool enough to play prince

here if it's not gospel, contemporary christian, neo-fascist talk radio, or country, it's the one station that plays nothing but foreigner and journey with an occasional eagles tune to break up the monotony

It's Austin. I should be listening to basically literally anything else.

They also probably didn't play any Prince before he died. They also probably don't play any other Prince songs.

I kinda like haim, tho. Not like run-out-and-buy-all-their-records level of like, but there's worse out there getting more airplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

syntaxfunction posted:

The biggest problem is it's like 3 new songs and then the same things, over and over. Are people that scared of music they aren't familiar with?

Nah. This is just the evolved version of the AOR radio format that emerged in the late seventies to halt and nearly eliminate progressive FM. The businesspeople that actually owned the stations realized that they don't need to bother playing the cool and good and weird stuff, people want to hear the hits. So if something's a hit (or about to be one) and they play it every hour or two, they're connecting that hit to the audience more often than they would if they were more well-rounded. This increases listenership and makes the station more advertising money. Most people listening to the radio are hearing it for fifteen minutes in a building or maybe an hour in traffic, apart from the dweebs stuck at their job with a radio on that their boss won't let them turn off. So they make sure that that listening window is as full of hits as possible.

• Locked thread