Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
can we bury the hatchet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zoran posted:

He argues that while people in that camp can have a very fine understanding of their ideals, they forget that committed racists and sexists have an even better feel for norms because they intentionally violate them all the time, and they'll happily twist those norms to silence their enemies. And the mechanisms for deciding what counts as bigotry have nothing to do with actually finding the truth or upholding some principle of tolerance; the only principle they actually rely on is the need to stop bad PR for the employer.

You can kind of see a microcosm of this in internet forums/communities, where if you have fleshed-out rules on the kinds of things that are or aren't acceptable to say, it's the assholes who are going to figure out the cracks and nooks-and-crannies of that policy and will continue to be assholes while technically staying within the rules.

And meanwhile it's the decent folk who are going to say "gently caress you" in frustration, and then they're the ones that get banned, and your whole community goes down the shitter.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

I'm too sleep deprived to read all that can I get a tldr

Accusations of sexism and racism are reactionary.

Exhibit A is you :smug:

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 07:00 on Jul 15, 2017

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
where can I buy those tactical pens

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

logikv9 posted:

where can I buy those tactical pens

when you buy a tactical sharpie you are also buying the dream of drawing dicks on someone

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/885961530101170176

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

It always comes back to anime.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/885952655373221888

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Attorneys are shitheads, news at 11.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

it's the where's Waldo of presidential rapists

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zegermans posted:

Is he one of those "PR campaigns to get racists fired are actually bad" people?

the power rangers would prob campaign to change the racists ways, of racisn

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

was selma named when someone w dyslexia tried to name it salem

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

zegermans posted:

I'm too sleep deprived to read all that can I get a tldr

basically, companies are not beholden to racial justice or any kind of equity, and rather fire employees if it looks like they might hurt their pocketbook. doxxing and reporting racists to get them fired seems like a good idea until you realize the right is way better at cooking up outrage than the center, and will likely turn this tactic against us.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it's the where's Waldo of presidential rapists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42D_LJB30eY

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
if left wing hiring decisions weren't based on politics, this guy would be on SNL ^

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
he's certianly something alright

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

dae realize these anti capitalists wear clothes they didn't make??

dae realize in the context where you can build and use a guillotine without being massacred by police/pinkertons that the united states dollar wont really mean anything

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Condiv posted:

basically, companies are not beholden to racial justice or any kind of equity, and rather fire employees if it looks like they might hurt their pocketbook. doxxing and reporting racists to get them fired seems like a good idea until you realize the right is way better at cooking up outrage than the center, and will likely turn this tactic against us.

I feel like this argument would be more persuasive if there were actually a reasonable number of examples of either people being fired for saying/doing things that weren't actually terrible or the right turning this tactic against people in the method described. But in practice I'm not sure there's ever been one of these situations where 1. the person fired wasn't actually a total shitheel or 2. there was some repercussions for wrongfully terminating them.

edit: The assumption that the right would be less likely to use these tactics if the left didn't use them also seems highly questionable.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

got any sevens posted:

can we bury the hatchet

What if the hatchet has a GPS tag embedded in the handle? You dont want to create a minefield of hatchet geocaches, that will only make the post-gun world more dangerous

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
The right already uses it based off from religion and cultural beliefs, which is highly unsuccessful in modern times(was very successful in the past) compared to the left's use of them to justify social ostracisation which to the right seems like a frivolous use since their social beliefs are those based off from religion and cultural beliefs while the left's social beliefs are what makes them feel good.

The two sides sounding like the same thing isn't a coincidence because it is the same thing from the relative perspective of the person.

The belief is the more the left uses it frivolously the more the right will jump on a valid chance to use it frivolously with vitriol of social revenge. This isn't specifically unique to such realms of social justice since people love to right wrongs all the time, but it is a thing that would seem dangerous if one wanted to keep the scales unbalanced in whatever directly complies with their beliefs of what is correct and just.

Basically if you ain't some sort of face of a company via sponsorship or marketing personality then whatever you say outside of work should not reflect your employer's views and the employer should not be beholden to social pressure to fire a grunt because the grunt is an rear end in a top hat outside of work.
People are assholes, big woop.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/joeprince___/status/885631802102120449

Like I know Sanders is essentially invincible in Vermont, making these challengers laughable to begin with, but gently caress if it isn't funny seeing this poo poo get dug up on them.

there's a couple of other lol things in that thread, as well

Serf
May 5, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

https://twitter.com/joeprince___/status/885631802102120449

Like I know Sanders is essentially invincible in Vermont, making these challengers laughable to begin with, but gently caress if it isn't funny seeing this poo poo get dug up on them.

there's a couple of other lol things in that thread, as well

remember when it was leftists who were the real racists/sexists/transphobes?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ytlaya posted:

edit: The assumption that the right would be less likely to use these tactics if the left didn't use them also seems highly questionable.

If company's weren't allowed to fire people on a whim, or even better, were beholden by law to the first amendment, these tactics wouldn't be available.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like this argument would be more persuasive if there were actually a reasonable number of examples of either people being fired for saying/doing things that weren't actually terrible or the right turning this tactic against people in the method described. But in practice I'm not sure there's ever been one of these situations where 1. the person fired wasn't actually a total shitheel or 2. there was some repercussions for wrongfully terminating them.

the way I see it going is:

*zegglemans on twitter*

"trump loving sucks and his rear end can barely fit inside air force one"

*two days later on fox news*

"It turns out twitter user zegermens is actually John Doe Hillaryman of bumfuck Idaho, working for Tyson's chicken. does Tyson chicken know they are employing a fetlife regular that gets off on being put in a garbage bag of thinkyface onesies and getting the poo poo kicked out of him? more on this at 6"

*zegglemang is forced to move back to New York to work for the yankees*

Condiv has issued a correction as of 17:05 on Jul 15, 2017

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/07/why-jacob-rees-mogg-should-be-the-next-tory-leader/

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

That website is unreadable

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

dae realize these anti capitalists wear clothes they didn't make??

https://twitter.com/LeftistFoxbutt/status/885976767764111360

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

thats like a c, c+ effort image macro

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The only charm Mogg has is as a version of john oliver with no self awareness, he's just as incompetent as the rest.

Their only alternative is a buffoon with crazy yellow hair that has a cemented in reputation as an idiot, so i cant blame them for trying to avoid oneupping america

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that mogg guy is in dire need of an atomic wedgie

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

The only charm Mogg has is as a version of john oliver with no self awareness, he's just as incompetent as the rest.

Their only alternative is a buffoon with crazy yellow hair that has a cemented in reputation as an idiot, so i cant blame them for trying to avoid oneupping america

what in the world is that ct

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

nice hapsburg face

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

http://www.chicagonow.com/politics-now/2017/07/44-years-a-republican-1-year-an-independent-today-im-joining-the-democratic-party/

in like 5 or 10 years the democrats are going to split into two parties because of republicans joining it

quote:

This was not an easy step. In the 80s, I was an advocate of trickle- down economics as the solution to our economic ills. It is hard to admit I was wrong. The theory sounds nice, but as evidence has shown, it is a myth. Educated Republicans understand income distribution is out of whack and are seeking ways of correcting the ill. They are running up against the rank ignorance brought into the party and exploited by the party.

I spoke with a relative who is still solid GOP and he acknowledged all my concerns as being factual. He asked me to stay in the party and fight for its soul. There is nothing left to fight for. His comment about a soul was interesting. That is the problem with the GOP. It has lost its soul.

It has no compassion, it has no empathy, it is just a collection of self-centered individuals who care about nothing outside of their own lives. There is not a bigger picture, there is only self-absorption with the GOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Neurolimal posted:

What if the hatchet has a GPS tag embedded in the handle? You dont want to create a minefield of hatchet geocaches, that will only make the post-gun world more dangerous
more hatchets are always better
https://youtu.be/MskPriIm7UE

• Locked thread