Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

UHD posted:

Is there any reason to keep any of the dudes you get from friend points or are they all vendor trash

Some have killer materia which can be useful. Some, like 10% HP, are ok until you can get better. Most are garbage outside of niche uses.

Edit: page snipe-I have occasionally feed fp units to other units for xp. Don't do this unless you're lazy and have a lot of gold. 5 mostly leveled 2 star guys roughly equals one metal gigantaur. It can be useful for getting that last little bit of a level.

hamsystem fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I wish these long rear end story things you can actually redo or restart from the stage your on, instead of doing the whole thing over again.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

UHD posted:

Is there any reason to keep any of the dudes you get from friend points or are they all vendor trash

montanas tm is useful and it stacks

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Cool, thanks for the heads up on friend dudes

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.

Shoenin posted:

I wish these long rear end story things you can actually redo or restart from the stage your on, instead of doing the whole thing over again.

One reason they don't let you is cause the later stages drop giancrysts.
In fact I might stop doing henne mines and do the last part with a xon or 2 and see what I can get, might even be better.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
I am currently about 0.1% away from getting Aileen's TM thanks to that bounty of Trust Moogles we got a few days ago. Does anybody have any other suggestions on what sort of TMs I should be working towards with her? She's my DPS so I'm assuming I should look for ATK boosters, and either a neutral or Earth-element weapon for dual wield.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Genji Blade (from Gilgamesh trial, some goons have 100% dodge/Death immune units that can solo this for you), Blade Mastery, Dual Wield are a solid start.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

suuma posted:

Genji Blade (from Gilgamesh trial, some goons have 100% dodge/Death immune units that can solo this for you), Blade Mastery, Dual Wield are a solid start.

I've got a Gilgamesh-killer Fohlen. I'm surprised more newbies haven't sent a request, but then most newbies probably aren't thread regulars.

I'll probably give up in a few days and fill my last few friend slots with pubbies because my Switch Control macro does not account for having a nonfull friends list. Probably after I complete the latest Story Mission thing, not gonna macro till then.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

suuma posted:

Already got it, but it's definitely going on her. Awesome. What about defensive stuff and passives?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Besides Blade Mastery & Dual Wield there's:

Head: Hayate's Black Cowl is an old favorite hat. Good attack, def, and spirit. Not game changing but a good investment eventually.

Body: Demon Mail from the Parade of the Possessed should be good for now.

Accessories: Gaffgarion's Bracer is ATK+30 & HP+15% or Snow's Champion Belt ATK+30 & DEF+30 and ATK+20% & DEF+20% with a fist weapon. They're marginal upgrades over Ruler's Rings but give better defense stats. Once Algaion's trial is available and players can clear it and get the arm (Fist ATK+145, gives High Tide) that with Aileen's spear and two Champion's Belt should be fantastic.

Materia: Anything that gives ATK+30%. Queen's ATK+30% & HP +20%, Maxwell's ATK & MAG+30%, Shine's ATK+30% & Evade+10%. Defensive materia have value too even if they don't contribute to murdering, like Raslier's Patriotic Recall HP+30%, DEF+20%, Light Resist+30% aren't bad to have to keep characters alive.

Definitely get Dual Wield (or Genji Glove if you have Gilgamesh) and Blade Mastery first though. DW is huge and Blade Mastery goes great with an easy to get weapon like the Genji Blade.

e: if you don't have Hayate the Whitbrim is still a good hat. For more defensive stuff if you got Cupid Artimois his TM accessory is HP&DEF+20% and light and dark resist up. Elle's is more mixed with HP+20% and DEF&SPR+10%. Ilias' TM materia gives SPR+40%. Plus Kefka's Ribbon and Seven / Tilith's materia TMs give status immunity to most stuff (stop and charm are two exceptions) and they're good to have when you need them.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 14, 2017

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

And my first rainbow pull ever is Lunera thanks to impulse.

I don't know if she's any good out rare or whatever but her victory pose has a little bird so she's already my favorite :3:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

suuma posted:

If your can do it, it is much quicker to get L sword mastery from ifrit/siren trial and get apocalypse from Aurora keys for the same benefit really.

#1 priority of you don't have it is dual wield. You can get a free atk+30% from somewhere I don't remember, leaving you one ability slot for +atk or killer materia.

After that if is all small incremental increases from what +atk gear you have available.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

UHD posted:

And my first rainbow pull ever is Lunera thanks to impulse.

I don't know if she's any good out rare or whatever but her victory pose has a little bird so she's already my favorite :3:

Congrats on your not-Ramza. Enhancements will make her song almost as strong as Ramza's. She also ends up with a rather absurd amount of MAG/SPR with a Bow post-Enhancement, at 150%.

Right now she does have a 20-hit magic attack, which is kind of silly.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I'd like to thank these Story Events for reminding me, at the worst possible time, what school of magic Libra is.

Sigh.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

drat, forgot to full break this t-rex and only got him to a sliver of health in 1 turn. Oh well, ill get him next turn.

[Swallow]

Why yes, i would like to spend 100 lapis to revive my characters.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

AegisP posted:

I'd like to thank these Story Events for reminding me, at the worst possible time, what school of magic Libra is.

Sigh.

You can see what type of magic (or if something counts as magic) at the bottom right of an ability in combat.

Hope that helps, unless you're just lamenting not being able to Libra in which case my bad!

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Trojan Kaiju posted:

You can see what type of magic (or if something counts as magic) at the bottom right of an ability in combat.

Hope that helps, unless you're just lamenting not being able to Libra in which case my bad!

I always remember this after I've cast the ability.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Gotta use that Mog Search!

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

Scrublord Prime posted:

Besides Blade Mastery & Dual Wield there's:

Head: Hayate's Black Cowl is an old favorite hat. Good attack, def, and spirit. Not game changing but a good investment eventually.

Body: Demon Mail from the Parade of the Possessed should be good for now.

Accessories: Gaffgarion's Bracer is ATK+30 & HP+15% or Snow's Champion Belt ATK+30 & DEF+30 and ATK+20% & DEF+20% with a fist weapon. They're marginal upgrades over Ruler's Rings but give better defense stats. Once Algaion's trial is available and players can clear it and get the arm (Fist ATK+145, gives High Tide) that with Aileen's spear and two Champion's Belt should be fantastic.

Materia: Anything that gives ATK+30%. Queen's ATK+30% & HP +20%, Maxwell's ATK & MAG+30%, Shine's ATK+30% & Evade+10%. Defensive materia have value too even if they don't contribute to murdering, like Raslier's Patriotic Recall HP+30%, DEF+20%, Light Resist+30% aren't bad to have to keep characters alive.

Definitely get Dual Wield (or Genji Glove if you have Gilgamesh) and Blade Mastery first though. DW is huge and Blade Mastery goes great with an easy to get weapon like the Genji Blade.

e: if you don't have Hayate the Whitbrim is still a good hat. For more defensive stuff if you got Cupid Artimois his TM accessory is HP&DEF+20% and light and dark resist up. Elle's is more mixed with HP+20% and DEF&SPR+10%. Ilias' TM materia gives SPR+40%. Plus Kefka's Ribbon and Seven / Tilith's materia TMs give status immunity to most stuff (stop and charm are two exceptions) and they're good to have when you need them.

Got Hayate, Got Gaffgarion and Snow, got Shine and Maxwell and Raslier, and I've already ground out Blade Mastery and Dual Wield. Wow, looks like I'm on my way already. Guess I know who to toss the moogles on for a while. Thanks!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

CyberLord XP posted:

Gotta use that Mog Search!

How dare you find a creative use for a thing.

How dare you.

Anyway, I missed a Tech Heavicryst in the Masterless Castle because it didn't register my wind damage (or I was dumb and thought Vortex would do it) but I saw on the wiki that the only person who even uses Tech Crysts is Luneth, and that seems a good a way as any to goad the game into giving me a Luneth.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

How dare you find a creative use for a thing.

How dare you.

Anyway, I missed a Tech Heavicryst in the Masterless Castle because it didn't register my wind damage (or I was dumb and thought Vortex would do it) but I saw on the wiki that the only person who even uses Tech Crysts is Luneth, and that seems a good a way as any to goad the game into giving me a Luneth.

Tech is used in the passive of almost every heavy hitter (Cid, Greg, Aileen, Tidus etc.)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Dragomorph posted:

Got Hayate, Got Gaffgarion and Snow, got Shine and Maxwell and Raslier, and I've already ground out Blade Mastery and Dual Wield. Wow, looks like I'm on my way already. Guess I know who to toss the moogles on for a while. Thanks!

just be warned that this "once the murder fucker robot trial is out you can get the fist and fist mastery!" is a massive understatement of just how difficult that trial is, which sounds like its going to be a whale only thing for awhile. unless you're whaled out as hell i'd take a pass on champion belt for aileen especially since you can just put ifrits claw on her as its more or less also bracer.

i think my aileen right now is genji blade/artisan that 18 attack helmet, demon mail, bracer, ifrits claw, 30% attack, dual wield, the yda thing and blade mastery which puts her in the low 800s attack with a little over 5k health on odin. i am at 84% on genji blade though so that's going to change a bit soon. also you were asking about defensive tms and one that people dont mention much but is outrageously good is sozhes tm which gives 20% hp/atk and also 3% mp regen. also add me if you want another aileen friend 180,869,786

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
You know, sometimes I feel cheap using Tilith as my healer in the arena and just sit there immortal. But then I remember literally every team I come across uses max dodge/petrify cheese strategies non-stop and feel less bad about it.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Nuebot posted:

You know, sometimes I feel cheap using Tilith as my healer in the arena and just sit there immortal. But then I remember literally every team I come across uses max dodge/petrify cheese strategies non-stop and feel less bad about it.

All the AoE status spammers are also high-evade rear end in a top hat units. I just pumped up two Ashes with as much MAG as I can get and I'm Spark Chaining Heaven's Fury with them to nuke the enemy party on the first turn, regardless of physical evade, because gently caress Arena.

The worst is the AoE Stop spamming teams. There is literally nothing you can do to prevent your party from getting wiped if the opposing team gets the first turn and lands Stop on several of your units. There's no preventive measure or tactic, you just die.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Office Thug posted:

All the AoE status spammers are also high-evade rear end in a top hat units. I just pumped up two Ashes with as much MAG as I can get and I'm Spark Chaining Heaven's Fury with them to nuke the enemy party on the first turn, regardless of physical evade, because gently caress Arena.

The worst is the AoE Stop spamming teams. There is literally nothing you can do to prevent your party from getting wiped if the opposing team gets the first turn and lands Stop on several of your units. There's no preventive measure or tactic, you just die.

That's why I really am not super interested in arena, I do my 5 a day for lapis and that's it, because it all comes down to "who goes first". If I go first, I'm going to win because I can nuke everyone in a round. If the other team goes first, and the AI chooses the right abilities, I get nuked or crippled. There's no real strategy or fun to it, and the rewards at this point aren't that useful to me (I have 7000+ arena points not cashed in for boards, because the teams I use are all potted up already).

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Palleon posted:

That's why I really am not super interested in arena, I do my 5 a day for lapis and that's it, because it all comes down to "who goes first". If I go first, I'm going to win because I can nuke everyone in a round. If the other team goes first, and the AI chooses the right abilities, I get nuked or crippled. There's no real strategy or fun to it, and the rewards at this point aren't that useful to me (I have 7000+ arena points not cashed in for boards, because the teams I use are all potted up already).

This is about where I'm at. If there wasn't Star Quartz on the boards I would probably not be cashing in my arena points very regularly.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Palleon posted:

Claim them all and sell them for cash.

RustySporkinmyI
Jan 29, 2006
Morbo can't understand his teleprompter. He forgot how you say that letter that looks like a man with a hat.
I threw one ticket at the current banner and got lunera. After getting reberta last week I feel like my luck in this game is turning around!

Anyways does anyone have a beefy tidus (with out an elemental weapon) or someone else (again without an elemental weapon) to help me with cid?

Alternatively if anyone needs dark Fina add me

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is Firion's Finn Briar worth upgrading? What other big abilities that use power crysts are there to look out for?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is Firion's Finn Briar worth upgrading? What other big abilities that use power crysts are there to look out for?

Just about every heavy hitters abilities use power crysts.

Eileens - Piledriver
Tidus- Quick trick
Orlandu/Agrias- Divine Ruination
Luneths- Cut Through

Fin Briar is worth upgrading if you dont have any other heavy hitter and have a super kit out Firion. But if you have any of the top tier characters in the game then you are better off holding on to them because they use it too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Office Thug posted:

:getin:

(Lasswell has Razzmatazz, CoD has Toxic Rain, and the party is immune to petrify)

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Honestly if your whole arena team isn't resistant to petrify what have you been doing for the last two weeks?

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

RustySporkinmyI posted:

I threw one ticket at the current banner and got lunera. After getting reberta last week I feel like my luck in this game is turning around!

Anyways does anyone have a beefy tidus (with out an elemental weapon) or someone else (again without an elemental weapon) to help me with cid?

Alternatively if anyone needs dark Fina add me

Same. Decided to throw a single ticket halfheartedly at the ffxii banner banner and got zargabaath.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Free Daily gave me Ruggles. I think the game is mocking me not getting Tidus...

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

PaybackJack posted:

This is about where I'm at. If there wasn't Star Quartz on the boards I would probably not be cashing in my arena points very regularly.

FYI, the arena ticket gacha should be getting upgraded "soon" to remove the lovely consumables. Like 1 to 2 months, based on the jp updates.

So anyone sitting on arena tickets should keep sitting on them.

Kheldarn posted:

Free Daily gave me Ruggles. I think the game is mocking me not getting Tidus...

Daily Ruggle buddy.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bring a Rikku when you get to the last boss with the esper kill mission in the new story event. The Ashasaurus does something called devestate that rapes and wrecks your party. Just Rikku cheese it with her LB. I'm sure there's a trick to it, but why bother figuring it out.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
So for Fryevia, would I be better off running dual-wield + 3 Letters and Arms, or 4 Letters and Arms? I'm torn because the former lets her chain higher, but she'll realistically end up with 755 magic, but the latter she'll have 894. Also, for dual-wield, I should be putting Enhancer in her right and Fryevia's Needle in her left, to take better advantage of her ice imperil, right?

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Rocketpriest posted:

So for Fryevia, would I be better off running dual-wield + 3 Letters and Arms, or 4 Letters and Arms? I'm torn because the former lets her chain higher, but she'll realistically end up with 755 magic, but the latter she'll have 894. Also, for dual-wield, I should be putting Enhancer in her right and Fryevia's Needle in her left, to take better advantage of her ice imperil, right?

Dual wield all day every day. You'll do more damage and get bigger chains.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon Man posted:

Bring a Rikku when you get to the last boss with the esper kill mission in the new story event. The Ashasaurus does something called devestate that rapes and wrecks your party. Just Rikku cheese it with her LB. I'm sure there's a trick to it, but why bother figuring it out.

The trick is bringing Ling. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

jetz0r posted:

FYI, the arena ticket gacha should be getting upgraded "soon" to remove the lovely consumables. Like 1 to 2 months, based on the jp updates.

So anyone sitting on arena tickets should keep sitting on them.
Thanks for the heads up.

• Locked thread