Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

MythLisp posted:

Urgh. The hospital system is even more hosed than you realise, at least in NSW and VIC. Surprisingly, QLD has it right, with only one database for the whole of the public hospitals in the state - ie. you can get tests done in a Cairns hospital and your doctors can get results from the Laboratory Information System in Brisbane. NSW has at least 4 different sectors. And none of them have any way to access for results on any other hospital besides from their sector.
- Getting admitted to or having tests/x-rays etc done in Campbelltown, and Westmead won't have that history if you turned up there unconscious. Royal North Shore has its own system, same with RPA. Going to a sexual health centre in Parramatta and sexual health centres in the city or in Liverpool won't have access to those results if you swung by there.

This is sorta poo poo when it comes to medicare billing because some only are allowed a set number per year, such as molecular testing for Hep C and Hep B. In theory you're not meant to have more than 4 of those tests per year if you have either Hep B or C. Any after these and you won't be covered.

This is not even covering whatever Laverty, Douglas Hanley Moir, Medlab and other smaller labs do either, because that definitely isn't on any state Lab Info System.

Thanks, this is interesting too. The next thing is a centralized universal health system that starts from birth. Everything you're talking about drives me nuts.

I want one file which any suitably qualified professional can pull up and add to so my entire health history is in one cohesive, searchable, sensible place. Including everything: Dental, mental, sexual, check ups, everything. How do we not have that already now? If QLD does something close then that's a start at least.

Think of the meta health benefits of a good doctor being able to put the pieces together.

BBJoey posted:

state govs are the ones that handle distributing funding to public schools, which I assume requires a fair bit of work

but the money that they distribute mostly comes straight from the federal government so they're essentially middlemen :yum:

Yeah, so thats dumb.

quote:

second of all, it's true that theoretically the states could more or less abolish themselves by handing authority over to the federal government. the problem of course is that they have no intrinsic incentive to do so, so the only real way for the feds to take powers assigned to the states in the constitution is to straight up bribe them with oodles of cash, which is a lose-lose from the federal side because they're essentially giving away a lot of money for the opportunity to spend even more money now on additional responsibilities.

ewe2 posted:

They both need excuses for inaction

Exactly, so much of it boils down to this. The problem, the reason it's a problem, and the reason it won't go away.

Yeah look, the current system isn't going anywhere soon, but it's interesting to flesh out so cheers. I didn't know the states could voluntarily hand things back. So constitutionally at least, that's how it would happen?

And it'd better if they did, right? Did we find anything which is better administered by 8 different state governments? Get on board Tokamak, it's obvious surely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Hobo Erotica posted:

I want one file which any suitably qualified professional can pull up and add to so my entire health history is in one cohesive, searchable, sensible place. Including everything: Dental, mental, sexual, check ups, everything. How do we not have that already now? If QLD does something close then that's a start at least.

I believe Medicare offers this, but you have to opt in and you have to get your GPs to opt in as well.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
People get pretty thingy when you say you are going to create some kind of indelible permanent record attached to their government id number for some reason.
Then they go and give their constant location data to Apple/google/facebook

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Hobo Erotica posted:

I didn't know the states could voluntarily hand things back. So constitutionally at least, that's how it would happen?

And it'd better if they did, right? Did we find anything which is better administered by 8 different state governments?

Iirc, the states can also agree to give the Commonwealth their state powers temporarily, but in practice, powers forfeited are never (or very, very rarely) returned, which is another reason states are so reluctant to give up power.

I think even if we could somehow abolish the states and territories tomorrow, you'd still wind up with a similar system to what we have now, in terms of one official overseer (Federal Minister), and delegates (State Ministers) working under them. There may be more consistency on some matters (see: our hilarious rail system), but I think practically speaking, Australia is just too big and varied to have a sole, singular authority on any single portfolio, and I can absolutely imagine the nightmare that could ensue (for instance, if every single regional or disadvantaged area had to compete against all others in the country for health funding, as opposed to just others in the state). Also, consistency isn't necessarily a good thing (see: our nationally consistent stance on same sex marriage).

States and boundaries are entirely arbitrary, don't get me wrong, I just think that in a population as widespread and diverse as Australia, we'd probably inevitably wind up with something like them sooner or later.

Also some states and governments are more garbage than others and I currently live in a nice state with a good government please don't take that away from me and put some Nat fuckwit from rural Queensland in charge when we're just about to get euthanasia and have unlimited abortions for all.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm the 3500 lovely and presumptive Ludlam Hot Takes probably making GBS threads up your Facebook rn,

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm the guy with a Facebook profile in 2017.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Schlesische posted:

I believe Medicare offers this, but you have to opt in and you have to get your GPs to opt in as well.

Yes the eHealth record is supposed to fix these problems, however they make it impossible to join. Even Medicare themselves couldn't get me into the system properly, I literally needed my GP to set up the record just so departments within my local hospital could share data.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Hobo Erotica posted:

I didn't know the states could voluntarily hand things back. So constitutionally at least, that's how it would happen?

That is how it works for marriage, income tax, and industrial relations. They are state areas according to the Constitution, but the states all agreed to let the federal government handle it.

The federal government had to strongarm the states a bit for income tax, but that's the simple version.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Getting rid of the states seems like a good idea when the federal government is good (or at least better), and a terrible idea when it's not.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

It's the same argument as having a monarch vs a republic, fyi. Without wholesale material oppression (via taxes, police state, corruption etc) it's just changing a bunch of stationery and brands for literally no gain.

e: well there's the stimulus aspect of spending money for no reason obviously...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2013/02/22/heres-how-you-buy-your-way-onto-the-new-york-times-bestsellers-list

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Is 17,000 all it takes to be considered bestselling?

gently caress man we need to buy/read some more books.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
16000 were anonymously bulk ordered though.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Zenithe posted:

16000 were anonymously bulk ordered though.

I was wrong, dug the article deeper.

This book was published in March. They're including sales from before the incident and avewraging the numbers outs.

"To make it onto the famed New York Times Best Sellers list it is widely speculated an author must sell 9000 copies in the first week of sale. More than 1132 copies of Work Strife Balance have been sold every week since launch.

Freedman's latest title, was released in March amid a flurry of printed excerpts and endorsements from high profile fans such as the Prime Minister. "

So... the title and point of the article makes no loving sense in this context.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

If you want to be properly frightened about Australian politics, read this piece by Katherine Murphy for Meanjin. It's too long to quote, but boils down to the premise that the current state of politics is so toxic for a normal person, only the abnormal will survive.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ewe2 posted:

If you want to be properly frightened about Australian politics, read this piece by Katherine Murphy for Meanjin. It's too long to quote, but boils down to the premise that the current state of politics is so toxic for a normal person, only the abnormal will survive.

But at least we have Ludlu... ah fuckdamnit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Writing my Ludlam/Muir slash.

also

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Where are the chips.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Zenithe posted:

Where are the chips.

I'm guessing that pink stuff is potato

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Writing my Ludlam/Muir slash.

also

:itwaspoo:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Zenithe posted:

Where are the chips.

In a basket.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWCTjzDhWGJ/

I have no idea what the thing on the right is

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

I have no idea what the thing on the right is

angiefrangipaniBut what is the pink thing?

longstoryshortcafe @angiefrangipania Sicilian brioche topped with a scoop of honeycomb gelato, fruits and jellies, popping candy and magic dust, white chocolate matcha sauce 👌👌

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

So there is bread under the pink slurry???

E. Sicilian French bread?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Sicilian brioche get the gently caress out of here.

I guess if you poison yourself and happen to be in that cafe those fish and chips should come in handy.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Meanwhile, the Qld LNP are just as batshit insane as ever:

ABC online posted:

Queensland Liberal National Party members have steered away from a potentially divisive move against Australia's global climate position, while the party leader also vowed not to be distracted by federal squabbles in the lead up to the next election.

The party's annual convention voted down a motion calling on the Commonwealth to pull out of the Paris Climate Accord, after two former presidents warned against undermining the Prime Minister.

"This motion is really about just putting the knife into the Federal Government," immediate past president Bruce McIver said.

"They've agreed on it on our behalf, and I think if we don't believe we should vote this down today, we are doing them an injustice."

One of his predecessors, Con Galtos, said the motion was embarrassing.

"I am totally against global warming, and I agree with everything that the mover of this motion has stated," Mr Galtos said.

"However we have a choice: we either stand with our American friends, or we stand behind our Prime Minister and our government.

"Do we want to keep on undermining our Prime Minister?"

Well isn't that nice...

quote:

The debates throughout the three day conference between members is what gave insight into how the party's grassroots lean.

The party convention decided not to vote on a resolution to ban the burka.

Another motion — against immigration from some countries which enforce Sharia doctrines — was debated, but defeated.

Members, however, supported a ban on some Muslim headwear in state schools for girls under 10.

The non-binding move to ban hijabs for young students was put forward by Gold Coast delegate Brooke Patterson, who said the headwear was not required by the Koran before puberty, but was being insisted by some Islamic leaders.

"I really suspect that mothers would love it if we said, 'you know what, you're not allowed to put your daughter in this from the age of five, but once she hits puberty we recognise that that's what's accepted in the Koran'," she said.

"If we do not stand up and say there are some boundaries to this, then their Mosques, certain Imams, will push these families to push these matters at the schools.

"And we need to give them some defence and we need to give them some support back.

"And at the moment we're not giving them anything."

Indeed, our school chaplains are quite against it...

quote:

LNP leader Tim Nicholls used his keynote speech to the convention to deliver a message to his federal colleagues on policy unity.

"Much has been said and written in recent times about the happenings in Canberra," he said.

"I say this, 'let's not be distracted. We must remain focused on the issues and concerns deep in the hearts of Queenslanders and uppermost in their minds'.

"My team and I won't and we don't take our riding instructions from Canberra."

Mr Nicholls vowed to make electricity prices a daily issue in the coming election campaign.

"We will remind Queenslanders each and every day of how Annastacia Palaszczuk and Labor are hitting and hurting families and businesses with these outrageous power prices," he said.

"The next election, like no other before it, will determine the fate of Queensland for generations to come."

Attorney-General Yvette D'Ath said the Government was ready to campaign on energy issues.

"Oh absolutely. We put will our record on electricity prices next to Tim Nicholls any day," she said.

I guess they'll be undermining the PM after all...

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yeah but how are you gonna lower electricity prices Tim? Don't your liberal mates wanna sell it all off?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Anidav posted:

Yeah but how are you gonna lower electricity prices Tim? Don't your liberal mates wanna sell it all off?

Obviously they just haven't sold enough yet

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Pimping http://www.makerentingfair.org petition because tenancy law is being revisited in Victoria: sign and share!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anidav posted:

AXE THE TAX

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Don't mind the 25% increase in power bills since the tax was axed

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

norp posted:

Don't mind the 25% increase in power bills since the tax was axed

Energy efficient as gently caress yet your power bills are still through the roof?

Thanks Tones & Turnbull. Absolute champs. You fuckwits.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

ewe2 posted:

Meanwhile, the Qld LNP are just as batshit insane as ever:

And yet they will win cause Annastacia Palaszczuk is even more insane

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Stevefin posted:

And yet they will win cause Annastacia Palaszczuk is even more insane

Tough call.

QLD Labor is a weird beast. On one had they are investing in cross river rail and housing commission homes for the lower classes and on the other hand they are in bed with Adani.

I mean it's pretty poo poo but watching Tim come along and flog off our electricity assets to mates, poo poo all over rail and probably reverse public housing funding will be far more insane.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

If only there was an alternative

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

starkebn posted:

If only there was an alternative

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

And I mean holy poo poo is the LNP bad at rail. The Newman government bought all those trains that didn't even work and then he underfunded a bunch of upgrades which imploded

starkebn
May 18, 2004

At this point I'm starting to think that might not be worse

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°

starkebn posted:

At this point I'm starting to think that might not be worse

That's how it starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh no Red Symons has suffered a head injury and become a horrible person.

• Locked thread