Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Yeah, heavy weapons are hitting on 5+, but that's better than nothing for a dakka/rifledread.

I think tac squads with special weapons benefit the most. Appropriate for the most codexest of chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
So from the stream earlier:

Ultramarines warlord trait is you get back spent CP on a 5+.
Ultramarines Chapter Tactics are +1 LD for everyone and the ability to shoot after Falling Back.

Any marine player can spend 3CP pre-game to upgrade their Captain to a Chapter Master, which definitely upgrades their aura from reroll 1s to reroll misses. No word on whether that then opens you up to take Chapter Tactics, or whether Chapter Masters get the old Orbital Bombardment thing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

LingcodKilla posted:

It's too busy and that big gun is holding on by a straw.

Looks perfect for Orks.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
The Ultramarines special rules are good. The Leadership buff isn't particularly needed, but being able to shoot (even with a -1 penalty) after falling back is really strong. And regaining 33% of your spent CPs is good too.

Did they specify whether or not the Chapter Master upgrade provides any stat bonuses or was it just the increase to the re-roll buff?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

WhiteWolf123 posted:

The Ultramarines special rules are good. The Leadership buff isn't particularly needed, but being able to shoot (even with a -1 penalty) after falling back is really strong. And regaining 33% of your spent CPs is good too.

Did they specify whether or not the Chapter Master upgrade provides any stat bonuses or was it just the increase to the re-roll buff?

I think it is a statline change but I don't know if they specified.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

So from the stream earlier:

Ultramarines warlord trait is you get back spent CP on a 5+.
Ultramarines Chapter Tactics are +1 LD for everyone and the ability to shoot after Falling Back.

Any marine player can spend 3CP pre-game to upgrade their Captain to a Chapter Master, which definitely upgrades their aura from reroll 1s to reroll misses. No word on whether that then opens you up to take Chapter Tactics, or whether Chapter Masters get the old Orbital Bombardment thing.
Isn't it kind of weird that taking a generic chapter master costs a player command points? I mean, named ones like Calgar, Helbrecht, Dante, etc. don't so there's a clear advantage to taking them. Additionally, Calgar and Azrael even add command points if they're your warlord.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Safety Factor posted:

Isn't it kind of weird that taking a generic chapter master costs a player command points? I mean, named ones like Calgar, Helbrecht, Dante, etc. don't so there's a clear advantage to taking them. Additionally, Calgar and Azrael even add command points if they're your warlord.

Yeah, but those guys all pay points for their stuff that is over and above a Captain. The CM is "free" in that regard.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Safety Factor posted:

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, but those guys all pay points for their stuff that is over and above a Captain. The CM is "free" in that regard.

Yeah a captain turned chapter master would just be 80-ish points and 3cp rather than 250 for calgar. Its an even better deal now that i think about it because essentially you're trading 3 rerolls for unlimited rerolls in an area, and not limited to one per phase.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

Yeah a captain turned chapter master would just be 80-ish points and 3cp rather than 250 for calgar. Its an even better deal now that i think about it because essentially you're trading 3 rerolls for unlimited rerolls in an area, and not limited to one per phase.

Remember the codex will be bringing other ways to use CP as well. I could see an orbital strike being an option, for instance.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Purr-ty K Catcast special episode needs to happen.

:catbert:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'm going to use a CP to reroll my CP recovery roll.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Badcast Bad Boy checking in, I just bought the Blood Angel jump pack chaplain for $33. I don't like more than $25 for a single dude but $35 doesn't seem that much of a stretch. The $40 AoS warboss is my break point where it feels gross.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Xarlaxas posted:

So, I uh, did a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-w_5yxbVmY

I just need to make the light fixture (more or less) permanent, and find some way to fit the music *inside* the Rhino. . . :v:

This loving rules.

You should put a strobe light on the top or where the headlights should go.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Xarlaxas posted:

So, I uh, did a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-w_5yxbVmY

I just need to make the light fixture (more or less) permanent, and find some way to fit the music *inside* the Rhino. . . :v:

That's :catdrugs:

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Forgeworld posted:

The Punisher-type Sicaran variant came into general use amongst the various Space Marine Legions in the final days of the Great Crusade, however the punisher rotary cannon it mounts has a far older history."

No poo poo, that circled area is basically the same bolt and chamber setup used in the minigun, which has been around since the early 1960s.

I like it and hey, if it works, it works!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Artum posted:

The thought occurs, if an ultramarines dread falls back out of combat and fires isnt its main gun going to be at a -2 modifier?

This is amazing, bravo sir.

Try it with heavy flamer dreads

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Potential BFF posted:

No poo poo, that circled area is basically the same bolt and chamber setup used in the minigun, which has been around since the early 1960s.

I like it and hey, if it works, it works!

Which is pretty much the same as the original Gatling gun from 1860(obviously with modern manufacturing and materials). It is a very good set up for a high rate of fire gun and very reliable.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just dug an old sergeant model out of storage and stripped him to repaint in a 30k DA scheme to fit in with the rest of my current army. It's this model:

(not mine, obviously)

I've had this guy for forever and he almost always featured in my old 40k Dark Angels. Racked up some pretty impressive feats back in 3rd and 4th edition and now he's coming out of retirement to kick some bigly rear end. I had replaced the bolter with a plasma pistol and now that's going to be swapped for a combi-plasma. The power axe will remain. :black101:

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015
I love how the Redemptor's plasma cannon takes a few visual cues from Tau ion weapons.

Compare it to, say, the Ghostkeel's Ion Collider:

Applying a bit of show-don't-tell to Cawl's lack of fucks regarding whether or not tech is alien in origin.

I also like how, while the Redemptor is a definite improvement over the boxdread, it's roughly equivalent to the Contemptor in stats, but still worse than the Leviathan in most ways. It's a good dynamic. New, better than what the Imperium currently has, but still not to the standards of Heresy-era tech.

Aesaar fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 15, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cawl and Bobby G introducing 40 shades of grey into the Black and White of imperium morality is probably the best thing that could have happened to the lore.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
This is cool. Chapter Masters only pop up if you're playing a lot of space marines (which makes sense), unless you're a depleted chapter (Crimson Fists) or yours is floating in the warp (Draigo).

Or you have Lias "Every Special Rule" Issodon

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

moths posted:

Cawl and Bobby G introducing 40 shades of grey into the Black and White of imperium morality is probably the best thing that could have happened to the lore.

Marines Malevolent Millennium.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
DC/BALTIMORE HAM SLAM

FUCKIN GET PUUUUUUUUMPED

I moved a bunch of furniture around, and should have four tables ready to roll when TheChirurgeon turns up with his stuff. I'm sitting here trying not to drink all of the beers I picked up, and getting hyped as poo poo.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Hope you hams have a good time. I'm getting hype for my own long weekend of ham next week.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
For all you non-iTunes nerds, the XIII Badcast is out!
https://40kbadcast.com/2017/07/14/40k-badcast-13-zingin-dings-and-zongin-dongs/

Safety Factor posted:

I just dug an old sergeant model out of storage and stripped him to repaint in a 30k DA scheme to fit in with the rest of my current army. It's this model:

(not mine, obviously)

I've had this guy for forever and he almost always featured in my old 40k Dark Angels. Racked up some pretty impressive feats back in 3rd and 4th edition and now he's coming out of retirement to kick some bigly rear end. I had replaced the bolter with a plasma pistol and now that's going to be swapped for a combi-plasma. The power axe will remain. :black101:

I love this dude, I also love his wonky not-quite-3rd-ed and not-quite-2nd-ed aesthetics. That bolter's so short and he's still got that 2nd ed thin helmet crest.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Looks like that short bolter at least comes with a cool muzzle flare to paint up.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

I love this dude, I also love his wonky not-quite-3rd-ed and not-quite-2nd-ed aesthetics. That bolter's so short and he's still got that 2nd ed thin helmet crest.
Yeah, he's a great little model. You're right, he's caught in between editions aesthetically and is a little odd as a result. He's much thinner than even the 3rd edition plastic marines. He's going to look a goofy on a 32mm base next to mkIV and mkIII, but I don't care. He's just so proud to be waving that axe around. :3: I have fond memories of this little guy chopping up just about anything and everything. It's been well over 10 years since I've used him in a game.

I love the older axe designs and I wish there were more floating around. I know there's an old-style axe in the latest devastator box; that thing's weirdly full of melee weapons. I don't think much else matches that look.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 15, 2017

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Speaking of old minis, does anyone know when this dude popped up? He's definitely old but not second edition old. He's one of my favorites outside the old school second edition Plague Marines.

bij fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 15, 2017

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Another game, against a new army: one of my friends got his khorne chaos out last night. I fielded Eldar, the same sort of list I played in my one previous game with them:

Skyrunner autarch
5 jetbikes with shuriken cannons
3 vypers (separate) each with bright lance & shuriken cannon
2 skyweavers, glaives and shuriken cannon
7 shining spears, exarch with a star lance

My opponent had a rhino full of khornate marines, a soul grinder, a winged daemon prince (the CSM kind) and 2 heldrakes.

I was making GBS threads myself at the beginning because with fewer units, he'd have first turn. I had just seen him play adeptus mechanicus, and although he did get destroyed due to some bad rolls and not anticipating how his army would work, I had seen what heldrakes could do. They're basically the perfect weapon against eldar jetbikes and such.

Round 1: So he opened the game (big guns never tire) by flying straight over and tossing my dudes. Skyweavers got taken out immediately by a flame +charge. On the other flank I was very lucky - he opted to flame one vyper and charge another. I did very well on 4+ and 5+ saves and survived with both. Thank god flying units can fall back and shoot, and vypers don't degrade. I shot everything at the heldrakes. One was severely battered and then finished off by the shining spears. The other was severely degraded but didn't go down. I am crowded together in my corner of the board, daemon prince is closing in. Thankfully my opponents marines and soul grinder are still far off.

Round 2: daemon prince does exactly what I didn't want him to do, and charges the shining spears. Remaining heldrake flames the jetbikes squad and demonstrates his weapon's suitability for the task, killing 4. That's about it. Here I had tremendous luck. The daemon prince had 5 hits, 2+ to kill each shining spear. Rolled 3 ones. This meant I could fall back and continue the fight with 5 models. If he'd not rolled ones, and had 2 shining spears left (and possibly failed morale) I probably would have been stuffed. As was, I fell back again, gunned down the daemon prince at point blank range and the remaining heldrake.

Round 3: the game had swung on its axis. From being in the back foot taking casualties, he had now just the soulgrinder and marine squad left. He'd left the marines on his near-deployment objectives to hold them at the end of the game, which was a mistake imo. I now had the initiative and the striking position, given my troops' mobility. He did kill one vyper with soulgrinder shooting; I'd been very lucky with them so still had 2. Promptly moved up and annihilated the daemon engine with shooting.

Round 4: my opponent basically had given up. He shot his marines at a vyper but still failed to kill it. I moved in a pack towards his marines, wiping them with shooting and a charge of shining spears.

Round 5: he had a rhino left against more than half my army, conceded.

Summary: actually loving loved how my eldar bike army played there. Heldrakes terrifying but my opponent was unable to support them. My army was mobile and I could basically shoot at what I wanted every turn. The autarch really was useful as I can basically give his re-roll of 1s to the entire force, what with everyone's ability to criss cross their movement and get into position. There may not be that many models in this army, but 3+ to hit with re-rolls of 1 makes the shots count!

I am under no illusions that my opponent was playing with a brand new army to him, it was a fairly incoherent assortment of stuff, he made a lot of mistakes and had bad luck to boot. I could easily have lost if he'd killed 1-2 vypers at the outset and (as mentioned) he really should have decimated the shining spears. My army can't take much of a punch.

That said, I have used shining spears for years, made special conversions for them, find the idea of space lancers really really cool. I think this is the first time they have ever, ever won me a game. The punch they put it with shooting within 6", followed by a charge, is just phenomenal. Will keep playing them for sure.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Potential BFF posted:

Speaking of old minis, does anyone know when this dude popped up? He's definitely old but not second edition old. He's one of my favorites outside the old school second edition Plague Marines.

Early third edition (99/00ish). I love that model too and have a few of those floating around in my armies. Only downside is that he's 2nd/3rd edition scale.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Potential BFF posted:

Especially great now that his WYSIWYG loadout is really good now.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

ANAmal.net posted:

DC/BALTIMORE HAM SLAM

FUCKIN GET PUUUUUUUUMPED

I moved a bunch of furniture around, and should have four tables ready to roll when TheChirurgeon turns up with his stuff. I'm sitting here trying not to drink all of the beers I picked up, and getting hyped as poo poo.

So pumped. I'm bringing 1500 pts of Raven Guard. Can't wait to try a cupola things out.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Sabbat World Crusade book is the better one. :colbert:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Aren't all the berzerker models like old enough to vote now

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

goose willis posted:

Aren't all the berzerker models like old enough to vote now

I think they came out with the first 3rd edition book, so 1999.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Meanwhile the loving space marines are in dire need of even more dread variations and Venerable NounNoun Battlemaster Killertanks

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

goose willis posted:

Meanwhile the loving space marines are in dire need of even more dread variations and Venerable NounNoun Battlemaster Killertanks

There is always a need for more dreads but it would be nice if GW multi-tasked.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Can Chaos get in on some of the sweet dead robot cyborg action? Haha no here's your loving helbrute (formerly Chaos dread) who has teetered between poo poo and OK every other edition and that's all you'll ever loving get lol

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
CSM just got a new war machine, infantry, and characters. Stop being greedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ANAmal.net posted:

DC/BALTIMORE HAM SLAM

FUCKIN GET PUUUUUUUUMPED

Have fun! Goons please don't Goon it up so we can have another.