Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Justin_Brett posted:

Found it. That's kind of a dumb spot for a really important item, to me.

FWIW that item isn't the only way into that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Good lord, just continue to learn new things about this game
Didn't realize False Knight's macehead is actually a bug, and it has dream nail text.
Also found a neat White Palace room, Has a chair used by White Lady (her silhouette is marked into the chair) next to a crib. Probably a crib for Hornet, based on her conversation that references Hornet. Suppose this means White Lady cared for Hornet after Herrah went in for her Big Nap. THE LORE, I can't get enough of it

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Ambivalent posted:

Good lord, just continue to learn new things about this game
Didn't realize False Knight's macehead is actually a bug, and it has dream nail text.
Also found a neat White Palace room, Has a chair used by White Lady (her silhouette is marked into the chair) next to a crib. Probably a crib for Hornet, based on her conversation that references Hornet. Suppose this means White Lady cared for Hornet after Herrah went in for her Big Nap. THE LORE, I can't get enough of it

Oh man :3: I'm going to find that room on my next playthrough

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Trial of the Fool is loving garbage. What does this prove exactly? Why is there a boss you can only practice on if you spend ten minutes slogging through waves that are not difficult at all?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

Trial of the Fool is loving garbage. What does this prove exactly? Why is there a boss you can only practice on if you spend ten minutes slogging through waves that are not difficult at all?

The boss is cake. I'm wondering how you think that's a boss you need practice on, but you didn't find like at the very least, the walls-only part kind of difficult

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Justin_Brett posted:

it proves that anyone who cares enough to beat it is a fool

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Ambivalent posted:

The boss is cake. I'm wondering how you think that's a boss you need practice on, but you didn't find like at the very least, the walls-only part kind of difficult

It's stressful. If you lose you've basically wasted ten minutes. You also basically can't heal. And yeah the walls-only bit is difficult, but then there's far more that aren't.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SirSamVimes posted:

it proves that anyone who cares enough to beat it is a fool

This basically, it's there as a supertest and getting mad about it is part of the point.

You don't even need to do it for the 'final ending' or even the extra ending bit (Mister Mushroom). Even the pale flower is there if you really want that last hit point. Trial of the Fool is for nothing other than bragging rights, and filling out your Hunter Journal... which is also just bragging rights.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

man this Horrible Test For Assholes is really getting my goat

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I got angry at the trial of fools because it's where I realized the attack range upgrades didn't work while wall clinging

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Also man fuuuuck Soul Tyrant.

Lost Kin just requires equipping Defender's Crest and it's a straightforward fight.
Fallen Champion can be cheesed 4-Kings style with Stalwart Shell and a bunch of health.

Soul Tyrant there is no cheese, in the end I just had to learn to take it slow and hit him during the few windows he's not teleporting everywhere. I even died to the second form twice which really made me sad, until I finally beat him.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

bewilderment posted:

Lost Kin just requires equipping Defender's Crest and it's a straightforward fight.
Fallen Champion can be cheesed 4-Kings style with Stalwart Shell and a bunch of health.

Soul Tyrant there is no cheese, in the end I just had to learn to take it slow and hit him during the few windows he's not teleporting everywhere. I even died to the second form twice which really made me sad, until I finally beat him.

Soul Tyrant is the easiest of the three though? Then again, maybe that's because I didn't rely on cheese strategies.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SirSamVimes posted:

Soul Tyrant is the easiest of the three though? Then again, maybe that's because I didn't rely on cheese strategies.

It's maybe not the hardest to do regularly but it seems like it takes the longest because of how small the windows to hit him are.

Lost Kin is absolutely the easiest though.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Lost Kin is also the one you're most likely to encounter first, though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

bewilderment posted:

It's maybe not the hardest to do regularly but it seems like it takes the longest because of how small the windows to hit him are.

Lost Kin is absolutely the easiest though.

Soul Tyrant is definitely easier than Lost Kin (not counting defender's crest abuse)

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I feel like this is similar to the question of Primal Aspids. They become signficantly less frustrating if you just resign yourself to the fact that you *have* to be patient and wait for a good window to attack them. With Soul Tyrant you also have to take it slow and accept that you will not be able to safely hit him on most his teleports. Wait a few teleports, and your chance will come. I personally found Lost Kin harder as well, because his moves felt a lot quicker, but I never had to wait too long to get the next hit in (if only because he charged me).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

bewilderment posted:

The cheese for Soul Tyrant is stand at the very right of the arena, right by the door. His ground charge can't hit you there, his orbs are very easy to dodge, and really the only worry is that he will shoot an orb at you and then do the ground pound fakeout so that you're forced to take damage. Even then, he is so slow and has so many openings that you can easily make your health back. I think he is far easier than the other dream bosses just because he gives you time to heal throughout the fight. Dying to the second form sucks on ice though.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Unfortunately, God Tamer and her beast don't have any special dream nail dialogue, which is a shame.
Up side, I noticed God Tamer's beast seems to be the same creature as the big one in the background of Queen's Garden.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ambivalent posted:

Unfortunately, God Tamer and her beast don't have any special dream nail dialogue, which is a shame.
Up side, I noticed God Tamer's beast seems to be the same creature as the big one in the background of Queen's Garden.

What's their dialogue?

...I'm curious about the Traitor Lord in particular, too. Though I have trouble getting a dream nail to connect on any of the traitor mantises.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

God Tamer has generic husk dialogue (same as any of the husk enemies you hit), and her mount has generic Beast dialogue (as any of the animal kinda beasts you hit). No idea on the Traitor Lord or Mantis Traitors, but I'll check them in the future.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
awgh, not even generic Fool dialogue? Nuts.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I'm new to the genre and while I'm very much enjoying this game it is kicking my rear end brutally.

Just got wall jump and worked my way to Broodling Mawlek. This thing is the bane of my existence.

Could someone rate the difficulty of this guy out of 10 compared to the overal average boss in this game?

Just so I know how utterly hosed I am.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
He's optional, come back when you're more powerful.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Mikojan posted:

I'm new to the genre and while I'm very much enjoying this game it is kicking my rear end brutally.

Just got wall jump and worked my way to Broodling Mawlek. This thing is the bane of my existence.

Could someone rate the difficulty of this guy out of 10 compared to the overal average boss in this game?

Just so I know how utterly hosed I am.

do you mind if i use fractions

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I never found a use for all the rancid eggs I've been collecting. Do they do anything or have I not collected enough?

Also, I'm missing one enemy in my Journal. Could anyone offer a hint as to where I should start looking?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Brutakas posted:

I never found a use for all the rancid eggs I've been collecting. Do they do anything or have I not collected enough?

Also, I'm missing one enemy in my Journal. Could anyone offer a hint as to where I should start looking?

For the eggs, go right from the starting town.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Brutakas posted:

Eggs: They are the payment for a shade retrieval service. If you are playing on steel soul money I think you exchange them for geo instead.

For the missing hunter entry

First:
It's hard to say for sure but it's likely you are missing one of the secret location ones. There's like 3-4 locations that give you a hunter's journal for an otherwise unkillable monster like the abyss tentacles or the garpedes.

IF you think you have all of those then my money is you are probably missing a very reclusive friend who lives in the city of tears.

More specific.
Go back to the city of tears and investigate all the buildings in the eastern half. There is a unique husk hidden in one of them

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Alternatively, have you ever seen a sign you broke get fixed?

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

^^^ that particular thing is neither necessary for, nor contributes to, 'completion' of the journal. Both the 'encountered' and 'deciphered' values will increment by 1.

you monster

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ambivalent posted:

I was wondering because of those corpses and the name "god tamer" if they might be immature wyrms. Bradoon says that he has to many limbs to be a wyrm though, so that's probably not the case as they have a lot of legs.

There's so many mysteries in this game.

Tweak posted:

gently caress that bug.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

RatHat posted:

For the eggs, go right from the starting town.

JuniperCake posted:

Eggs: They are the payment for a shade retrieval service. If you are playing on steel soul money I think you exchange them for geo instead.

Ah, so that's what that NPC does. Thanks.

JuniperCake posted:

For the missing hunter entry

First:
It's hard to say for sure but it's likely you are missing one of the secret location ones. There's like 3-4 locations that give you a hunter's journal for an otherwise unkillable monster like the abyss tentacles or the garpedes.

IF you think you have all of those then my money is you are probably missing a very reclusive friend who lives in the city of tears.

More specific.
Go back to the city of tears and investigate all the buildings in the eastern half. There is a unique husk hidden in one of them

I think I have the first one. I have four entries for unkillable stage hazard type enemies

I think I have the second on as well, he was particularly gorgeous.

Could it be the singing miner bug? I did not kill him after he "turned".

Also, thanks for the help.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Brutakas posted:

Could it be

Look around the lake of unn. Alternatively,try looking for another harmless creature in the same area.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you're having trouble completing the journal, look at this;

http://hollowknight.wikia.com/wiki/Enemies

It lists all the entries in the order they appear ingame, so you can compare your list to it until you find something missing.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Look around the lake of unn. Alternatively,try looking for another harmless creature in the same area.

Thanks for the help.
I think I've got them. The maskflies and alubas

I don't know if it will help but the Hunter himself currently tells me that "Only the last few rare beasts remain left to stalk"
The exact number I have is 144/145

Tweak posted:

Until you mentioned this I didn't even think about who has been fixing those. I will keep an eye out. Thanks.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Brutakas posted:

Until you mentioned this I didn't even think about who has been fixing those. I will keep an eye out. Thanks.

Unfortunately while finding the culprit will add to the journal he will not finish it for you. He's considered an easter egg and doesn't count like the others do because he also increases the max. (getting it would get you from 144/145 to 145/146) . Also that would be a jerk move, poor bug already has the hardest job out of anyone. Poor little guy.

At this point though I'd just check wikia, or some other guide that lists all the entries. It's probably just some random thing like the moss prophet's friends or maybe you forgot to kill one of the acid walkers or the plant traps in greenpath or something. Cause it seems like you've gotten most of the obscure ones.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 14, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Do you have the Garms from Forgotten Crossroads?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
What about those little birds in Greenpath?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The first phase of soul tyrant takes forever, is there any recommendation on when is best to hit him? I can get an attack in when he runs across the ground and occasionally when he teleports in front of me to shoot a ball and that's it. I'm on a nail level 3 and have the fragile strength charm to try and speed things up, but it still takes ages.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

ilmucche posted:

The first phase of soul tyrant takes forever, is there any recommendation on when is best to hit him? I can get an attack in when he runs across the ground and occasionally when he teleports in front of me to shoot a ball and that's it. I'm on a nail level 3 and have the fragile strength charm to try and speed things up, but it still takes ages.

I found the best way to deal with him is to stick with the right side of the map as his charge doesn't go all the way to the right. Use charged nail strikes whenever he moves across the map with the six orbs, and if you can the charge as well. Just focus on dodging when he spams homing orbs and use your soul magic if he teleports in your path. Don't bother with any healing charms or the Nailmaster charm and just use charms that increase your health or your Soul magic damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

ilmucche posted:

You should be able to hit him fairly consistently when he's teleporting around and shooting projectiles. The trick is to stay low to the ground - if you ground dash towards him immediately after a teleport, his shot will pass above you and then hit the ground when it tries to course correct. That way, you'll be able to close the distance quickly and get rid of his shots at the same time. Sometimes he'll teleport far enough away that you can't reach him before his next jump, but you should be able to catch him at least once or twice over the course of a teleport chain.