Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Phlegmish posted:

Okay, you've convinced me (though ranged flying units is not a plus for me)...as soon as it's on sale. €60 :eyepop:

There are only two factions with ranged flyers. One are the DLC-Elves who have ranged everything, and the other are the Dwarves with their Gyrocopters. Both are vulnerable to your own ranged units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Well, this just got dark

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Spent an hour last night sorting out my categories:

Can you spot the redundancies?!

Also can anyone recommend me any good hidden item games? Me and the missus have nearly finished Hidden Folk and we've had a great time looking for people, but with two levels left to go I'd like to have another one in the pipe for the next time.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Morter posted:

Well, this just got dark

Treasures of Montezuma 4 was the first in that series I bought, and it was batshit. The two others in the series they've put out on Steam since don't have the wild-rear end story mode, and it disappoints me, even if they're really fun match-3.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Songbearer posted:

Can you spot the redundancies?!

Also can anyone recommend me any good hidden item games? Me and the missus have nearly finished Hidden Folk and we've had a great time looking for people, but with two levels left to go I'd like to have another one in the pipe for the next time.

Pickers!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

END ME SCOOB posted:

Treasures of Montezuma 4 was the first in that series I bought, and it was batshit. The two others in the series they've put out on Steam since don't have the wild-rear end story mode, and it disappoints me, even if they're really fun match-3.

Is the 'action' in 5 as good as 4? 3 disappointed me, so I dropped it, but having just finished the Story Mode, I just started quest mode and my reaction was a legitimate ":aaa:". I bought the three Treasure games along with a couple of other dumb games for like, less than 2 dollars, and I'm getting an amazing amount of time/replay value (currently trying to Gold all of the story missions) out of it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jamfrost posted:

How are the turn times?

Incredibly fast compared to the other recent 3D map Total Wars. Even with all the DLC races added in a Warhammer turn takes about 1/8th of the time of a Rome 2 turn.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Can confirm as someone who got really annoyed with some earlier TW game's turn processing and load times that Warhammer is much better in that regard. Well also, installing it on an SSD probably also helps a lot. :v:

The other two things that really helped me with Warhams:
1) Turn on the Debug combat camera (see the TW thread here or just google it). Because seriously why the hell isn't this the default? The default cameras are sooooo bad.
2) Turn the brightness way up (like a bit exaggerated of what you would think) because the game has a kind of awful fog visual that makes stuff a lot harder to see in battle that in should be.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nuramor posted:

You have time to apply until august. How do I know my application went through correctly?

You'll get an email.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Any thoughts on Warden: Melody of the Undergrowth? I have it on my wish list so I assume I saw some positive opinions on it at some point, but maybe I just thought it looked cool and that's it. It's $3.50 on a Groupees bundle right now, why I'm asking.

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
DmC: Devil MAy Cry

P4:cool:BD-KLIV9-VHX5V

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

I like "Simulation - Goat"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Does anyone know a way to get Steam to refresh what games are currently installed? Like, if you manually delete files instead of uninstalling through Steam, the game will still be displayed as Installed in Steam until you try to launch it.

I cleared a ton of space in my Steam folder by mass deleting games I don't play anymore and I want an updated list of what's still installed in my Steam library.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You'll get an email.

I sent the form the day the news broke and never got a confirmation, sent it again and instantly got a confirmation message. The form was weird the first time around anyway, the DLC were somehow tiered so that you couldn't pick two freely from the list.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Phlegmish posted:

Okay, you've convinced me (though ranged flying units is not a plus for me)...as soon as it's on sale. €60 :eyepop:

e: looks like there's a new one coming out too

e2: is there a Dragon's Dogma thread?

Yeah, it goes on mad sales compared to its normal price. It was a solid £40 for a few years and I got it for like £12 in a sale.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Songbearer posted:

I like this. I currently sort by developer/publisher, depending on what is more prominent in my mind. For example, fallout: new vegas is under obsidian alongside fallout 2 and pillars of eternity, while the other modern fallout/TES games are under Bethesda.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You'll get an email.

Antti posted:

I sent the form the day the news broke and never got a confirmation, sent it again and instantly got a confirmation message. The form was weird the first time around anyway, the DLC were somehow tiered so that you couldn't pick two freely from the list.

I never got an email either, so I'll probably try again as well. Thanks for the info.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Morter posted:

Is the 'action' in 5 as good as 4? 3 disappointed me, so I dropped it, but having just finished the Story Mode, I just started quest mode and my reaction was a legitimate ":aaa:". I bought the three Treasure games along with a couple of other dumb games for like, less than 2 dollars, and I'm getting an amazing amount of time/replay value (currently trying to Gold all of the story missions) out of it.

Yeah, 5 plays just as well as 4 (3 is, obviously, a step back), it's just that none save 4 have the werewolf conquistador love story.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Yeah that ending was :stare:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

e: looks like there's a new one coming out too

Inevitably it will go on sale when the new one comes out. A few months ago it was actually in the humble bundle if you subscribed for 1 month. Basically like 12$ for the game. I missed out on that so I'll have to wait for another sale.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So what's the current situation with Steam Inventory helper? I've got pages of cards that i want to clean out but last i heard the extension was being run by some shady Russians or some poo poo.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Kin posted:

So what's the current situation with Steam Inventory helper? I've got pages of cards that i want to clean out but last i heard the extension was being run by some shady Russians or some poo poo.

This is great, I use that instead of the SIH after they got taken over by the scam site: https://github.com/Nuklon/Steam-Economy-Enhancer

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Phlegmish posted:

Yup, over here.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I haven't played it in a while, but the newer CC versions can get a little bloated. 1.71 has probably 10x more buildings than the base game but none of them are necessary. They're mostly alternate ways of gathering resources that don't do a whole lot mechanically, but add a lot of variety to your village. Some of them work sort of like optional difficulty toggles; they're just there to give you more complicated production chains to work with. If you're new to it I'd recommend getting used to Vanilla first, but if you're already there and want a whole lot of options for making villages look more varied or you want more complex supply chains, go ahead and get 1.71 and revel in it.

My biggest gripe with CC is that it adds tons of new resource types, but resource "categories" (like food, tools, fuel) are hard-coded, so all of the new resources need to be shoved in stockpiles with old types. This becomes a problem when you're setting your storage limits to, say, hold 1,000 fuel because you want a big stock of firewood, but different types of burnable fuel used by production buildings count toward the same storage limit. If you have excess production of a different kind of fuel, like coal, it can flood your storage and leave you short of firewood when Winter rolls around, and there's no fine control allowing you to store set amounts of specific resources. (While you can kind of work around this by storing them at trade depots, which do let you store set amounts of specific resources, they're not accessible to your villagers until you remove them from the trade depot)

This is a bad example because your people can also burn coal in the winter and I can't remember specifically what resources were frustrating me, but the best way to combat it seems to be going overboard building storage and setting limits super high. My point being, though, that later versions of CC's logistics would become a nightmare if you're not familiar with the base game.
This may no longer be the case. The Banished guy updated the beta branch about a month ago to give modders more flags to set custom resource limits. The newest version of CC probably has the fuel types separated now.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

deep dish peat moss posted:

Does anyone know a way to get Steam to refresh what games are currently installed? Like, if you manually delete files instead of uninstalling through Steam, the game will still be displayed as Installed in Steam until you try to launch it.

I cleared a ton of space in my Steam folder by mass deleting games I don't play anymore and I want an updated list of what's still installed in my Steam library.

Have you tried restarting Steam if you did this while Steam was running? I'm not sure if it's still the case, but Steam used build it's list based on scanning your "steamapps" directory. Although, it might be that that info is now in the "appmanifest_[AppID].acf" files in steamapps.

You could sort your library by Recent to find the games and then uninstall from there, which should also clear out the remaining files. Unfortunately, you'd have to do that one at a time, and kinda negates what you were trying to avoid.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 15, 2017

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Fun match-3? Like Puzzle Quest?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

BirdOfPlay posted:

Have you tried restarting Steam if you did this while Steam was running? I'm not sure if it's still the case, but Steam used build it's list based on scanning your "steamapps" directory. Although, it might be that that info is now in the "appmanifest_[AppID].acf" files in steamapps.

You could sort your library by Recent to find the games and then uninstall from there, which should also clear out the remaining files. Unfortunately, you'd have to do that one at a time, and kinda negates what you were trying to avoid.

Yeah, restarting Steam didn't fix it. I just tried clearing out the appmanifest files and that's precisely what they were - of course, now it considers every game uninstalled and won't update until I manually launch it but that's not a big deal when I cut 100+ installed games down to ~10. Thanks!

grrarg posted:

This may no longer be the case. The Banished guy updated the beta branch about a month ago to give modders more flags to set custom resource limits. The newest version of CC probably has the fuel types separated now.

:aaaaa: It sounds like I'm going to be playing Banished again.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
Crypt of the Necrodancer's Amplified DLC is out of early access. New characters, a new zone, new bosses, new items, new shrines, and new tunes. :awesome:

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

geez shadow of morder is so drat grim and dour.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

Stexils posted:

geez shadow of morder is so drat grim and dour.

I started skipping all the cutscenes and it made it a lot lighter if not much more colorful, would recommend

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Mordor is not a cheerful place, you don't go there to have a good time, guys

I'd have appreciated more Ratbag but I know I'm in the minority here

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Just beat Oxenfree and it was amazing.

The voice acting, the story. The open dialog that would disappear if you didn't click it quick enough.
Over all a great game. I'm glad I picked it up during the steam sale.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

I hope this version doesn't go the way of 2015 and get a little too bogged down in DL

quote:

Official licensed brands coming up in DLC's:

Mercedes
Maserati
DeLorean
Pagani
Bentley
Dodge
Plymouth
Chrysler
Jeep
Ram
Lotus
Mazda
... and more

Oh. :/ Seriously that looks pretty good though. Sheds!!!!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm surprised they are going to make another one. I played the first one for a bit but it was boring having the same jobs over and over again and having to search for random bits and bobs that were rusty.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
The last Car Mechanic Sim was great until you memorize how all the engines go together. Then all the repairs become routine.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Phlegmish posted:

Okay, you've convinced me (though ranged flying units is not a plus for me)...as soon as it's on sale.

Fill your boots.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 16, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

How much of a sim is car mechanic sim? Can I actually learn some practical, general (a level beyond general?) knowledge about cars and mechanics?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Anyone experienced the launcher crashing immediately after launching? Looking at the task manager it boots up then everything closes in ~5 seconds except the error reporter then that closes too and nothing pops up except "validating update" box for half a second. Tried restarting, uninstalling and making a fresh install, restarting again, running as admin, whitelisting in my firewall... any advice? I've got the X-COM 2 itch and it must be scratched.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Turd Herder posted:

Just beat Oxenfree and it was amazing.

The voice acting, the story. The open dialog that would disappear if you didn't click it quick enough.
Over all a great game. I'm glad I picked it up during the steam sale.

Did you "continue" your timeline? after the ending? If not the game isn't over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Samuringa posted:

Mordor is not a cheerful place, you don't go there to have a good time, guys

I'd have appreciated more Ratbag but I know I'm in the minority here

What? Ratbag owns. There volk who don't appreciate ratbag?

• Locked thread