Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

2) The Deluxe Headstrap is far superior to the Rift's headstrap. The rift barely fits my (admittedly weirdly shaped) head and the Rift's earphones *do not reach my ears*. I have it adjusted properly, they just don't reach. Again, I have a weird shaped head, but the deluxe headstrap has no problem reaching my ears.

jesus christ, what size hat do you wear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

EDIT:
Speaking of big hats, I wonder what ever happened to 3D Head? They seemed so promising!

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 15, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tom Guycot posted:

EDIT:
Speaking of big hats, I wonder what ever happened to 3D Head? They seemed so promising!

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

GI_Clutch posted:

I'd really like to see a game like this that was truly built for VR. Maybe more indoor environments so it didn't need to deal with so much geometry at once or something. Plus more interactive environments. It was weird playing a VR game where you can't just grab almost every single object you see. I played and enjoyed The Gallery Episode 1 which sort of scratched the itch, but it was a bit too on rails. I want a little more exploration with old school point-and-click style puzzle solving.

Stuff like Monkey Island/Day of the Tentacle would be a great direction to go with 'full game' versions of poo poo like job simulator/rick and morty. Some of those stupid game-ruining twisted logic item-combining puzzles might make more sense in VR.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Chadzok posted:

Stuff like Monkey Island/Day of the Tentacle would be a great direction to go with 'full game' versions of poo poo like job simulator/rick and morty. Some of those stupid game-ruining twisted logic item-combining puzzles might make more sense in VR.

This is exactly what wilson's heart would have been if they just hadn't walked you through every puzzle like a pre-schooler. My only regret with the game. It came so close to being a perfect lucas arts style adventure game in vr, only to decide people can't solve puzzles apparently.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Chadzok posted:

I Expect You to Die was pretty fun, it was just too short and there was no movement, teleportation or otherwise.

I would die for Monkey Island 5 in VR.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I just noticed Thumper is on the Oculus store! Is it worth another $20 for the VR? Already playing it on the switch, but my boss won't shut up about it on psvr...

I can vouch that it's worth the upgrade, although the price point varies. Those weird heads at the end of the levels are legitimately terrifying and unnerving in VR, to the point where I was actually scared to look directly at them.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

This is exactly what wilson's heart would have been if they just hadn't walked you through every puzzle like a pre-schooler. My only regret with the game. It came so close to being a perfect lucas arts style adventure game in vr, only to decide people can't solve puzzles apparently.

This actually makes me want to check it out more. I'm a big baby who gets too frustrated with real adventure games most of the time, so maybe this is designed for me.

Seems like they should have had difficulty settings affect how much puzzle help you get, though.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Butt Discussin posted:

This actually makes me want to check it out more. I'm a big baby who gets too frustrated with real adventure games most of the time, so maybe this is designed for me.

Seems like they should have had difficulty settings affect how much puzzle help you get, though.

You'd probably really like it then, I really liked it despite my problems with it. Its beautiful looking, a great atmosphere and 50's horror aesthetic, and some really unique and unsettling moments that take advantage of VR. I just wished the puzzles had been more challenging and less like an interactive story.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Guess I'm not the only one whose price point was $399. Ordered directly from Oculus, Friday morning, and support says there's no estimated time for shipping. Probably should have done Amazon.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Played Echo Area today and there was such a strange mix of people that really know how to play and a bunch of first timers playing. It was kind of fun hearing people freak out about VR in general but the matches kind of became mostly screwing around because sometimes things would be so unbalanced.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe I should order another set of touch controllers. It would ship faster than another sensor from Amazon, and I'd have an extra set in case I break them...

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

PerrineClostermann posted:

Maybe I should order another set of touch controllers. It would ship faster than another sensor from Amazon, and I'd have an extra set in case I break them...

If your play space is small that's a clever idea. I have been smashing the gently caress out of my walls as my space is only 2.2m squared.It's only a matter of time until I break something.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
A big Onward update is waiting to go live in Steams CDN right now, I guess they are having some kind of major problem ATM.
This is an exciting update because it finally adds a full interactive tutorial, a single player / COOP mode against AIs, and some quality of life improvements to the lobby system (private lobbies, competitive flags, quick respawn in shooting range) along with the usual slew of optimizations/bug fixes and balance changes.
Definitely recommend checking out if you haven't yet, imo it's the best multiplayer game available for VR right now by miles.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

It should be worth noting, if you're someone who wants to tinker around with it and you have a second set of controllers you can actually pair another one as a tracked object, like the vive tracking pucks.

To be honest, I don't know what the hell you would do with it. I mean in theory you could have it strapped to the top of a physical gun for shooters instead of just holding two touches, or hook it to a camera for mixed reality capture but does any game at all even support something like that? I don't know, but I guess it's worth being aware of if you have a second set for some reason.

EDIT:

rage-saq posted:

A big Onward update is waiting to go live in Steams CDN right now, I guess they are having some kind of major problem ATM.
This is an exciting update because it finally adds a full interactive tutorial, a single player / COOP mode against AIs, and some quality of life improvements to the lobby system (private lobbies, competitive flags, quick respawn in shooting range) along with the usual slew of optimizations/bug fixes and balance changes.
Definitely recommend checking out if you haven't yet, imo it's the best multiplayer game available for VR right now by miles.

Do you know if the game has added any modes with respawning or is it still only that 1 hit then wait around until the match ends to play again mode? Thats the big thing thats been keeping me away from that game.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 15, 2017

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

Shemp the Stooge posted:

Played Echo Area today and there was such a strange mix of people that really know how to play and a bunch of first timers playing. It was kind of fun hearing people freak out about VR in general but the matches kind of became mostly screwing around because sometimes things would be so unbalanced.

I was playing too and it was actually awesome just hanging out talking with people. One of the game dev's came on and started giving basically a lecture on their animation technology and challenges. It was really friendly and cool and now I can see why Zuck thinks we will all be hanging out in 3d chat rooms in the future. Really impressed me. Game is insanely cool too. I don't understand how you don't get sick playing it but they must have figured out some motion sickness tricks.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Chadzok posted:

I'd love to see an Artifex Mundi game in VR tbh. Their style of puzzle is perfect for it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

particle9 posted:

I don't understand how you don't get sick playing it but they must have figured out some motion sickness tricks.

Lack of rotation is what keeps me feeling good. I don't really feel like I would want it - it's easier to keep track of where you are if everything is more or less rightside up.

One thing I was thinking about for Echo Arena - it'd be nice if they had some kind of "push" mechanic where you could maybe keep your hands open and push off of objects to gain speed without having to "grab" them first. It slows your momentum to have to grab an object to push off from it and that's not what you would physically do anyway.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's a game balance thing, needing to push off people to go faster is important for the teamwork aspect

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Oh yeah I don't even mean going faster than 5 m/s or whatever - I'm talking about being able to push off of objects without initiating the "grab" mechanic. Maybe difficult to implement but it seems more natural than having to grab the boxes as you float past in order to push off.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I kinda wish your wrist jets faced outward from your palms so you'd see everyone Iron Manning around instead of Supermanning everywhere

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Arg, everything was going great with my new Rift and then I decided to enroll in the SteamVR Home Beta. Next thing, it's looping a reboot of opening Home when I go back to Home after exiting a game, so I decide to uncheck the Beta enroll box. Well, the rollback update doesn't download for some reason, so I decide to uninstall SteamVR. Okay, now it's no longer in my library under Tools. I don't know how to reinstall it and the little VR button on top of the Steam library doesn't do anything now.

gently caress!

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

JazzFlight posted:

Arg, everything was going great with my new Rift and then I decided to enroll in the SteamVR Home Beta. Next thing, it's looping a reboot of opening Home when I go back to Home after exiting a game, so I decide to uncheck the Beta enroll box. Well, the rollback update doesn't download for some reason, so I decide to uninstall SteamVR. Okay, now it's no longer in my library under Tools. I don't know how to reinstall it and the little VR button on top of the Steam library doesn't do anything now.

gently caress!

Same thing happened here, think Valve hosed something up on their end while fixing the update push problem. Guess we're in for another wait until they fix it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Squashing Machine posted:

Same thing happened here, think Valve hosed something up on their end while fixing the update push problem. Guess we're in for another wait until they fix it.
Wait, are you serious? Are you missing SteamVR from your library?
Oh thank goodness, other people are just now reporting it on the SteamVR discussions. What are the loving odds...

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Tom Guycot posted:

Do you know if the game has added any modes with respawning or is it still only that 1 hit then wait around until the match ends to play again mode? Thats the big thing thats been keeping me away from that game.

The single player co-op mode should have less waiting. The lethality and pace of the game is what gives it its tactical, tense gameplay that is so good.

Being able to use cover and sneak around to outmaneuver your opponent and get a surprise shot / objective capture is really thrilling since if you gently caress up you are dead before you know it.

Additionally on some of the big maps if one of your teammates gets downed but not out and you rally a teammate to throw a smoke and lay down suppressing fire to try and run over and heal your teammate under fire can be literally heart pounding.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

JazzFlight posted:

Wait, are you serious? Are you missing SteamVR from your library?
Oh thank goodness, other people are just now reporting it on the SteamVR discussions. What are the loving odds...

Same thing here but I'm not really sure what steamvr is for anyway. All the games in my library that are compatible with the rift work fine without needing it. Is it just the steam UI in VR?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Steam has been having issues but they look fixed now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SteamDB/status/886353228773941252

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

GutBomb posted:

Same thing here but I'm not really sure what steamvr is for anyway. All the games in my library that are compatible with the rift work fine without needing it. Is it just the steam UI in VR?

It's what goes between the game and the HMD drivers. The Oculus software does the same thing, but not all games support both the SteamVR and Oculus APIs, so you would need to have it running for them.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Has anybody here purchased their bundle from Best Buy? I can't seem to find a redemption code for Eve: Valkyrie on my receipt.

goth smoking cloves fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 16, 2017

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I don't know much about how things work when playing SteamVR games on the Rift. Is there some sort of emulation layer or extra API involved that would make it more efficient to play a game directly from the Oculus store when a game is available through both stores?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

goth smoking cloves posted:

Has anybody here purchased their bundle from Best Buy? I can't seem to find a redemption code for Eve: Valkyrie on my receipt.

I bought mine online for pickup at my local bestbuy and it emailed me the code.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Parker Lewis posted:

I don't know much about how things work when playing SteamVR games on the Rift. Is there some sort of emulation layer or extra API involved that would make it more efficient to play a game directly from the Oculus store when a game is available through both stores?

Some VR games published on steam are made for both native SteamVR Runtime and the native Oculus Runtime. When you launch an Oculus Runtime game in SteamVR it kind of boots you out of SteamVR and loads the native Oculus code.
Otherwise SteamVR games just use the SteamVR runtime because it has Oculus device support. It still needs Oculus home running because the code integrates with the layer provided by Oculus Home.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcUbC1aQpeY
Sooooo this looks like it could be a really awsome "robo recall but you're the god drat hulk" or cheesy and bad. The other VR game the company made, VR Sports Challenge was somehow actually a really fun game, and I hate sports games so theres some hope!

rage-saq posted:

The single player co-op mode should have less waiting. The lethality and pace of the game is what gives it its tactical, tense gameplay that is so good.

Being able to use cover and sneak around to outmaneuver your opponent and get a surprise shot / objective capture is really thrilling since if you gently caress up you are dead before you know it.

Additionally on some of the big maps if one of your teammates gets downed but not out and you rally a teammate to throw a smoke and lay down suppressing fire to try and run over and heal your teammate under fire can be literally heart pounding.

Thats too bad, I get a good amount of people really like that style but it's just never been something I could personally stand. I wish they would add a lite mode where you could respawn, I'd definitely be all over that.

Parker Lewis posted:

It is more efficient if the game uses the oculus SDK natively, but that doesn't mean it has to be from home, it could be from steam, or just someones project you downloaded off their website. The stuff on oculus home is just (obviously) guaranteed to have native support. Theres a lot of games on steam that do use the oculus SDK in addition to steamVR and give you a choice or just launch it automatically, and then there are also ones that exclusively use the oculus SDK even though they're on steam, and then of course ones that only use steamVR. The only confusing part is there are some games that are on oculus home and steam, but the steam version doesn't have VR support (orion trail for a quick example) or the steam version only has steamVR support for some reason. Its always best to check the reviews, see if anyone mentions it, and if its on both and the steam one supports the oculus sdk as well, just get it whichever place you prefer.

Personally, despite a native experience always being a bit cleaner because it doesn't have to involve a wrapper, I've never had an issue running steamVR stuff at all with anything I've tried. Theres a few annoyances like having to turn off the steam or oculus boundaries so you don't have 2 different ones pop up, and the weird tendency for your home screen with your sensors showing to just start popping up randomly in the middle of games for a few fractions of a second, but thats the extent of it really. My only real annoyance usually comes from how a lot of steamVR only games since they're of course designed around the vive wands, they don't really give you your hands or proper grabbing and throwing, but hopefully after knuckles has come out and get adopted that trend will fade away.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 16, 2017

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Got mine from Best Buy today and hell yeah it still comes with an Xbox controller until the all in one bundle comes around. I needed a new one of these.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I used to hate sports games then I played Echo Arena and now I love sports games, as long as they're played by robots in space

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Crappy Jack posted:

I can vouch that it's worth the upgrade, although the price point varies. Those weird heads at the end of the levels are legitimately terrifying and unnerving in VR, to the point where I was actually scared to look directly at them.

Those faces are terrifying even on my tv, christ I didn't think about vr. Speaking of, I hope I'm not the only one that finds Elite Dangerous to be absolutely terrifying in VR. Planets are big :stare:

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Tom Guycot posted:

Thats too bad, I get a good amount of people really like that style but it's just never been something I could personally stand. I wish they would add a lite mode where you could respawn, I'd definitely be all over that.

So I finally got some time in on the new AI mode in the new Onward patch and I'm pretty impresed. 1/2 player vs (up to) 12 AI is pretty fun and the bots are pretty well done, they have a starting script wandering the map and randomly change things up and react to sound. On veteran they are drat good shots and a legitimate challenge.
I know its not a truly different multiplayer mode which is what you are looking for, but the vs AI mode is really quite fun and is a legitimately new gameplay mode for this game, should make for a great bridge between the tutorial and getting into competitive multiplayer matches.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Nuts and Gum posted:

Those faces are terrifying even on my tv, christ I didn't think about vr. Speaking of, I hope I'm not the only one that finds Elite Dangerous to be absolutely terrifying in VR. Planets are big :stare:

If you aren't terrified of the immensity of space you aren't paying attention. Elite Dangerous really hammers that home.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nuts and Gum posted:

I want to get back here in VR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4i_6aUq6v8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Probably a dumb question, but I would like confirmation before placing an order: has anyone in the U.S. purchased from VR Lens Lab?

https://vr-lens-lab.com/

Prices on the website are UK, and the FAQ doesn't specify. Thanks!