Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skippy McPants posted:

They understand how awful that oil derrick it calls a head is, so they went nuts with the quirks.

It's good, people will aim for it but since it is much thinner than the torso they will miss more, I think it's not that bad actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I think you're underestimating how much exposure matters, especially with the garbage accel/decel on 100-ton mechs. That neck is going to give most folks enough time to alpha you in the jaw and be back under cover before your guns clear the terrain.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skippy McPants posted:

I think you're underestimating how much exposure matters, especially with the garbage accel/decel on 100-ton mechs. That neck is going to give most folks enough time to alpha you in the jaw and be back under cover before your guns clear the terrain.

And I think you are overestimating how bad it will be, with those quirks and maxed out survival tree those 2 seconds of extra exposure won't matter when pushing like pregnant woman, which is what this mech will be doing

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I agree it'll be a monster pusher, I just have no faith in mechs that are built around leading a push. Like, if you can get the pugs to get off their asses, press W, share exposure, and push then it doesn't matter what mech you're in because you've already won!

But man, the number of times I've seen a sad, lonely King Crab try and lead a push only to die 1v12 while his team huddles behind terrain... no faith.

Edit: either way, I agree that the quirks are insane and elevate the mech to good status, at least.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 15, 2017

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skippy McPants posted:

I agree it'll be a monster pusher, I just have no faith in mechs that are built around leading a push. Like, if you can get the pugs to get off their asses, press W, share exposure, and push then it doesn't matter what mech you're in because you've already won!

But man, the number of times I've seen a sad, lonely King Crab try and lead a push only to die 1v12 while his team huddles behind terrain... no faith.

Edit: either way, I agree that the quirks are insane and elevate the mech to good status, at least.

Of course there will be games where you die pathetically 600 meters from the closest enemy mech having done <200 damage in your annihilator, like with the CP-10-Q where you either have <200 or >700 damage games. A single person in a good mech won't help if the rest of the team is your average snipers, and I fear it will be worse now that heavy gauss will be introduced, it's a snipers dream.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

A single person in a good mech won't help if the rest of the team is your average snipers, and I fear it will be worse now that heavy gauss will be introduced, it's a snipers dream.

It's the main reason I favor dependable laser boat with good peeking profiles. I want a mech I can count on to do 600-1200 damage no matter how awful my team is.

Anyhoo, with the full survival tree, the Annihilator has 176 CT armor. That's not bad!

Edit: As for Heavy Gauss, don't worry about it. In addition to the PPC/Gauss changes screwing that combo, HG takes up 11 Critical Slots... which means you can only mount it on side torsos in mechs with a STD engine. It also has massive fall-off, requires charging, and causes cockpit shake when fired. PGI!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 15, 2017

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
HG also has an optimal range of 180 meters, they made it a brawling weapon.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Skippy McPants posted:

It's the main reason I favor dependable laser boat with good peeking profiles. I want a mech I can count on to do 600-1200 damage no matter how awful my team is.

Anyhoo, with the full survival tree, the Annihilator has 176 CT armor. That's not bad!

Edit: As for Heavy Gauss, don't worry about it. In addition to the PPC/Gauss changes screwing that combo, HG takes up 11 Critical Slots... which means you can only mount it on side torsos in mechs with a STD engine. It also has massive fall-off, requires charging, and causes cockpit shake when fired. PGI!

charging and cocpit shake? drat that sounds annoying.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The charge is just like every other Gauss weapon, and the cockpit shake only happens after you fire so it's not a huge deal. Even the fall-off is manageable. What really kills it is the 11 crit slot requirement because it forces you to run a STD engine.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

TjyvTompa posted:

It's good, people will aim for it but since it is much thinner than the torso they will miss more, I think it's not that bad actually.

I think you're also ignoring just how "accurate" people are in this game.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Commoners posted:

HG also has an optimal range of 180 meters, they made it a brawling weapon.

Heavy Gauss was always a brawling weapon, it's a higher-damage AC/20 with a short effective range and a longer "sure, I guess I can go for a shot" range.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Heavy Gauss was always a brawling weapon, it's a higher-damage AC/20 with a short effective range and a longer "sure, I guess I can go for a shot" range.

It's range wasn't 2 freakin hexes.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
What if they just made it so you can't fire more than two gauss/ppc combos at the same time

like how you can't fire three gauss rifles at once, right. Maybe you have to delay firing the PPCs by at least half a second

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
^^^ Mandatory chainfire for all `mechs forever woo.

Rysithusiku posted:

It's range wasn't 2 freakin hexes.

Who cares? This isn't tabletop.

It's infinitely worse.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

What if they just made it so you can't fire more than two gauss/ppc combos at the same time

like how you can't fire three gauss rifles at once, right. Maybe you have to delay firing the PPCs by at least half a second

This is sarcasm, right?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

I think you're also ignoring just how "accurate" people are in this game.

Veedub, I've played with you before. You rarely torso twist, move predictably, hold still often, and generally aren't that good. You get ct cored all the time because of it. People aren't cheating, you're just poo poo.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

Veedub, I've played with you before. You rarely torso twist, move predictably, hold still often, and generally aren't that good. You get ct cored all the time because of it. People aren't cheating, you're just poo poo.

:drat:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

This is sarcasm, right?

no

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Okay, wasn't sure. Internet, you know? Also, I had a couple Black Russian's with dinner, so my Pow's Law detector is a little fuzzy.

Anyway! What you're describing is exactly what Ghost Heat does. It only triggers if you fire weapons in the defined grouping within 0.5s of each other. So you can 2x Gauss, wait half a second, and then 2x PPC with no penalty. That's still a huge nerf, because the whole point of PPC/Gauss is to loose your full volley all at once and then be back under cover before your target can return fire.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

Okay, wasn't sure. Internet, you know? Also, I had a couple Black Russian's with dinner, so my Pow's Law detector is a little fuzzy.

Anyway! What you're describing is exactly what Ghost Heat does. It only triggers if you fire weapons in the defined grouping within 0.5s of each other. So you can 2x Gauss, wait half a second, and then 2x PPC with no penalty. That's still a huge nerf, because the whole point of PPC/Gauss is to loose your full volley all at once and then be back under cover before your target can return fire.

Right, but my thought is that you don't need to bring heat into it

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, and if PGI cared to actually design new systems they would have something like... I dunno, a fusion reactor that could only power so many weapons, so it would have to queue up the demanded for both Gauss and PPCs.

But they decided to go with Ghost Heat as their primary widget for balancing weapon boating. It was a poor choice because ghost heat is largely obfuscated to the average player, but oh well!

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Great Beer posted:

:vince:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, and if PGI cared to actually design new systems they would have something like...I dunno, a fusion reactor that could only power so many weapons, so it would have to queue up the demanded for both Gauss and PPCs.

But they decided to go with Ghost Heat as their primary widget for balancing weapon boating. It was a poor choice because ghost heat is largely obfuscated to the average player, but oh well!

Is that a :thejoke: or something? You almost described energy draw.

Which started out as a much better idea, conceptually, than ghost heat, but after a couple PTS it turned out that making it balanced required so many special cases it would become almost as complicated as GH, so they shelved it.

I still think it was a decent base for a system and they should have kept iterating on it, but I think I'm in the minority on that.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Is that a :thejoke: or something? You almost described energy draw.

Yes and no. My #1 problem with ghost heat is the 'ghost' part. It's not well represented in the UI or system mechanics.

I understand the need to crimp boating, but they need clear unmistakable indicators for when you're going over the limit.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Great Beer posted:

thank you

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

Great Beer posted:

Savage

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Skippy McPants posted:

Yes and no. My #1 problem with ghost heat is the 'ghost' part. It's not well represented in the UI or system mechanics.

I understand the need to crimp boating, but they need clear unmistakable indicators for when you're going over the limit.

The closest you get is the little heat indicator in the upper left of the mech lab. It's really not enough. Smurfy has that really nice heat penalty chart, at least.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This event was very good for MC. I got a total of 830 over a span of 150 games, not counting the value of the skin and color unlocks.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Great Beer posted:

:discourse:

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

So looking at giving this a go again. Been awhile, I think I left when they introduced clan mechs. Did they ever fully implement CW to glory everyone hoped it to be? I'll have to jump on discord.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Did they ever fully implement CW

Yes.

No.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think the changes to CW this patch are a pretty big deal that have been totally overlooked because they come at the same time as the new tech and some boneheaded balance decisions. CW actually has a win condition for both sides now, the player base has a lot more agency to actually do something instead of "Well I guess PGI decided to do Tukayyid again."

It's way too late, too little, and the game mode itself started out mediocre and got worse, but what can you do eh? Oh, and on that note, a new set of mechbays to grind from the two new factions.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

aniviron posted:

I think the changes to CW this patch are a pretty big deal that have been totally overlooked because they come at the same time as the new tech and some boneheaded balance decisions. CW actually has a win condition for both sides now, the player base has a lot more agency to actually do something instead of "Well I guess PGI decided to do Tukayyid again."

So what? Winning still has absolutely zero effect on the game. Literally the only effect of seizing 3 capital planets is "the season ends". I guess you get a victory banner cockpit item instead of a defeat one again?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

NihilCredo posted:

So what? Winning still has absolutely zero effect on the game. Literally the only effect of seizing 3 capital planets is "the season ends". I guess you get a victory banner cockpit item instead of a defeat one again?

You also gain insanely small amounts of MC for...being the unit that contributed most to taking a planet? 15 MC to distribute across a unit...

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

NihilCredo posted:

I mean... it's a win condition added to a game. You could say the same thing if you want to phrase stuff in a really pedantic manner. "So what if you kill all the enemy mechs? I guess the "match ends?" You get a few more cbills instead of a few less cbills?"

No, it's not perfect, but it's a drat sight better than what we used to have.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

I want to know who's the guy at PGI who spends his days tweaking the rules of the galaxy map "game" and writing pages and pages about it despite the fact that it's utterly meaningless and effectively nobody gives a poo poo about it.

But but but, that guy is Russ' toddler!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

aniviron posted:

I mean... it's a win condition added to a game. You could say the same thing if you want to phrase stuff in a really pedantic manner. "So what if you kill all the enemy mechs? I guess the "match ends?" You get a few more cbills instead of a few less cbills?"

No, it's not perfect, but it's a drat sight better than what we used to have.

For 15 minutes of playtimes, getting more CBills is enough. For weeks or months of team-based effort, you absolutely need to offer more than a token reward if you want your players to give a poo poo.

People won't grind CW siege mode for the sheer sake of e-peen. (That's what comp mode is for.)

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
The annihilator will be the easiest loving thing to core out though, since that entire head chunk will probably count as center torso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

The Repo Man posted:

You also gain insanely small amounts of MC for...being the unit that contributed most to taking a planet? 15 MC to distribute across a unit...

But if you've been pushing CW hard since launch, you have 1000's of e-bucks! :smuggo:

Is this your first time playing 4D chess? Or beating yourself in the head with a hammer for the promise of a piece of candy?

• Locked thread