Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I might be wrong, but the BLM changes seem to be more about making the 4.0 rotation easier than stronger. The 4.0 was actually always the strongest, it just was a very small gain for the amount of extra effort and could easily be upset by fight mechanics, and these changes seem focused on addressing that between more mobility, easier access to 3x Fire IV, and not needing to wait for MP ticks for Foul sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Countblanc posted:

I might be wrong, but the BLM changes seem to be more about making the 4.0 rotation easier than stronger. The 4.0 was actually always the strongest, it just was a very small gain for the amount of extra effort and could easily be upset by fight mechanics, and these changes seem focused on addressing that between more mobility, easier access to 3x Fire IV, and not needing to wait for MP ticks for Foul sometimes.

I mean, decreasing the recast time on F4 is basically a potency per second increase since it'll take less time to go through an astral phase.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

a kitten posted:

Is this good? Have any resident number crunchers had a look at how it might play out yet?

I was kind of thinking/hoping they'd just up the potency of Fire IV, but i'm the first to admit that i don't know how to math this stuff out.

It's weird that they didn't just increase the potency values. Blizzard 4 is probably still not going to be worth it outside of specific circumstances. I'll certainly take a shorter triplecast cooldown though, and being able to foul immediately after flare drops me to 0 is helpful.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i wonder if the str changes on tank accessories are gonna mean you can't meld str to them?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i wonder if the str changes on tank accessories are gonna mean you can't meld str to them?

It does, just like how you can't melt str left side

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Thundarr posted:

I'm going to be... modestly annoyed(?) if monk ends up being the secret super DPS after I started leaning towards sam. At least the gear interchangeable other than the weapon.

All this talk of wanting GL4 instead of RoF now has me thinking about RoF being a 20 second buff that reduces your GCD to 1 second, a la Meditation. Now I'm sad that we don't have that instead.

Getting hit with an arrow is still some of the most fun I've ever had monking. Becoming Kenshiro for even a few seconds is bliss.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Countblanc posted:

This is only true if they don't adjust the maximum str value allowed on an item of that ilevel and quality, or they give so much str that it reaches cap. Just because an item has a stat on it, doesn't mean you can't meld more.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Countblanc posted:

that's only because the strength on left side is capped, though. we don't know if that will be the case here.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oh right.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They'd have to add strength to the accs and lower the str cap on them, which seems pretty unnecessary.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i can't wait for the cap to be way worse than 270 gear so nothing changes

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Minrad posted:

new bane isn't the reason scholar aoe sucks dick now, it's the fact that they pruned one of the dots that bane was spreading

・The introduction of “Miasma II” as a job specific skill.

:hellyeah:

The rest of the changes:
・Changed the cooldown of Emergency Tactics to 20 seconds.
・Indomitability [stay tuned]
・Strengthening Excogitation.
・Changed the range of Fey Union to 15 malms.
・ Aetherpact has been changed to increase Faerie Gauge even when Aetherflow actions does not inflict an effect on the target.
・Introduction of a trait reducing the cooldown of Aetherflow.

So basically Scholar will have stronger direct and aoe healing, and if they're changing Aetherflow to straight up have a shorter cooldown they will be really, insanely good (again). Fey Union will still be a crappy ability that feels bad and clunky to use but at least it'll go off more often without breaking. Oh yeah, and not to mention a tiny single target DPS buff coupled with what is probably a 30-40% aoe damage buff.

The fact that WHM and AST are getting some token buffs to go with it is pretty awesome. I wonder what the new plenary indulgence will be.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I'd love to know what dumb nin rotation SE was using, because the current rotation was pretty obvious given the abilities nin has.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Honestly even if the cap is worse it's still better in the long run.

Also if Fending accessories have literally half the STR as Slaying accessories then they'd still have around 65 STR at 320 iLvl. Which a mere 13 points less than the 270 accessories.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'm glad scholar is mandatory again

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Susano and Lakshmi EX aren't fights where I need to stress to much about having the best gear are they?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Biggest news from the live letter:

Q21. Do you have plans to implement quests where Magnai will find his moon?

A21. I was thinking it was Sadu. On the internet, some were saying it may be Cirina, or it may be the Warrior of Light. There may be a quest for Magnai and Sadu. Only the Dawn Father knows.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Augus posted:

Susano and Lakshmi EX aren't fights where I need to stress to much about having the best gear are they?

People can and did clear them at i300. They're not hard.

Mordiceius posted:

A21. I was thinking it was Sadu. On the internet, some were saying it may be Cirina, or it may be the Warrior of Light. There may be a quest for Magnai and Sadu. Only the Dawn Father knows.

This was obvious to basically anyone with half a brain :v:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
considering 3.X AST's trajectory, I'm looking forward to using my 40% chain strategem and my 7000 potency broil 2 in 4.4

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Augus posted:

Right. Just do the mechanics correctly and you'll be more than fine for these fights.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Augus posted:

lol no

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

quote:

The Lost Canals of Uznair

Continuation to Aquapolis and you can think of it as a level 70 version of Aquapolis with a Thavnairian theme.
Materia VIs and other rewards have a chance to drop in The Lost Canals of Uznair.

(During the stream, we showed some screenshots of the interior.)

We are planning the next update to arrive in Patch 4.1.

lol. Materia VI are going to loving plummet between this as all the cracked clusters people are saving up.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

considering 3.X AST's trajectory, I'm looking forward to using my 40% chain strategem and my 7000 potency broil 2 in 4.4

maybe the new planery indulgence can be some kind of a raid dps buff to keep the healers "even" :shrug:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Nice live letter. Relieved that their current approach to SAM/RDM DPS is to buff other classes appropriately. PLD nerf seems reasonable and sensible.

Surprised and not that they're pushing back against calls to nerf Menagerie. How wild would the theoretical Savagerie turn out.

Augus posted:

Not overly. Full left side Verity gear is perfectly adequate, wouldn't sweat it if it's not melded or your jewelry isn't amazing. Hardest part is the first kill (not only as a confidence booster for the individual player but so that you can join Duty Complete listings in Party Finder).

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Minrad posted:

maybe the new planery indulgence can be some kind of a raid dps buff to keep the healers "even" :shrug:

If plenary indulgence had a raid dps buff why would you ever bring an ast.

In theory, I mean, because people will play and beat content with whoever regardless.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Mordiceius posted:

So they're playing that one straight after all.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

UHD posted:

If plenary indulgence had a raid dps buff why would you ever bring an ast.

In theory, I mean, because people will play and beat content with whoever regardless.

because the damage buffs stack and it only has to be something as minor as scholar's, not a 30 second aoe 10% damage buff

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i love thavnairian style so this new aquapolis is going to be my jam. also very glad i got my gatherers up so that i can sell maps for filthy amounts of money

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
new war changes are good but

jyrque posted:

Please drop Onslaught BG cost.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Is Sadu the one from the tribe who believe they reincarnate?

If so, duh, of course it's her.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Augus posted:

You totally don't but that won't stop learning parties from having a 310 min ilvl in pf. I think I did my clears with a verity weapon and maybe chest/legs as well.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So what was the one weird trick rotation ninjas had that the developers hated?

The basic rotation is the obvious one, so that's probably referring to some opener nuance, or something like that.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The secret rotation was just using the spell that makes coins fall out of their pockets or whatever which results in 60000 dps when there's more than 1 enemy

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm really curious how they make PI less bad. Seems like in its current state it rewards you spamming Cure and not DPSing, when in reality you'd probably hit Cure II twice and go back to stone spam to not waste GCDs

Proccing off HoTs would help, or give it some kind of +damage component for the WHM, like consuming a stack increases damage by x% per stack to make it worth the GCDs lost from Cure spam, and you could save stacks for burst damage or something

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 15, 2017

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Shoot - just bought the Starter Edition on Steam, then realized someone might want to toss me a recruitment code. Is that still a thing? I think I can still use it; haven't hit "Transfer to Regular Service" on my account yet.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Ghost of Starman posted:

Shoot - just bought the Starter Edition on Steam, then realized someone might want to toss me a recruitment code. Is that still a thing? I think I can still use it; haven't hit "Transfer to Regular Service" on my account yet.

You're good until you pay for game time.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Cool. If anyone wants to toss me a code, I'd be happy to use it.

Is Heavensward just rolled into the base game, now, or is it part of Stormblood? SB is the only thing available as an expansion on the Steam page.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm really curious how they make PI less bad. Seems like in its current state it rewards you spamming Cure and not DPSing, when in reality you'd probably hit Cure II twice and go back to stone spam to not waste GCDs

Proccing off HoTs would help, or give it some kind of +damage component for the WHM, like consuming a stack increases damage by x% per stack to make it worth the GCDs lost from Cure spam, and you could save stacks for burst damage or something

Better proc rates, proccing off more things, or have the WHM gain the stack would be my guesses.

I can't imagine them shoehorn any damage utility into it but they've surprised me before.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

honestly, removing the stance change penalty addresses like eighty percent of the issues i have with warrior feeling clunky. i won't mind a few potency increases, either (or shake it off being changed), but i think the fact like half of our job abilities can only be used in one stance or another made it feel really lovely to not stance dance but the actual stance dancing was also punished super hard. i'm pretty pleased.

:same:

It's a big buff to dps particularly when you're mt because you can charge in defiance, swap, 6x cleave and then swap back in time to eat the next bit hit or w/e

SKULL.GIF posted:

It concerns me that they say they want to make some jobs easier because they're too reliant on player skill. I really didn't enjoy RDM because of how simple it was, not excited to see other jobs move towards that.

What they said is that they were going to reduce he skill gap, not remove the need for skill for certain jobs

So I read that as making the peak damage for high skilled players vs low skilled ones less

This may be why there are the rotation issues with BLM (that they're now walking back from a bit with reduction to recast of F4) because a good versus bad BLM was really obvious in HW

a kitten posted:

Is this good? Have any resident number crunchers had a look at how it might play out yet?

I was kind of thinking/hoping they'd just up the potency of Fire IV, but i'm the first to admit that i don't know how to math this stuff out.

Triplecast means you can now do 3*f4 in GCD*3 rather than 3*2.8 (formerly 3*3) every 60s instead of every 90s

So, it's probably a couple percent over a whole cycle, but it's enough to make the SB rotation clearly better than the 2.0 rotation, I think

Countblanc posted:

The way I read it is that tank stuff will get some strength, not capped strength. I would bet they add just enough that the ilvl difference invalidates the old stuff and there's still room for a str VI meld

If not they better refund me all the str vi I just melded :v:

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I would be surprised if they didn't make savage hit hard enough that you need the vit to survive

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You totally don't but that won't stop learning parties from having a 310 min ilvl in pf. I think I did my clears with a verity weapon and maybe chest/legs as well.

But he does so much damageee!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

a kitten posted:

But also:
https://twitter.com/Nova_Crystallis/status/886189040684470272

Hopefully it'll fix some frustrations with the current system.

what is this from?