Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
You see, I'm not melting down because I added a happy smile in the end of my rants :D

Check mate goonie :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sillybones posted:

Item 2.0 = typical entity system, apparently. Taking bets that it is all inheritance based. Does jetpack inherit from ship or hoverbike?

It's a kind of hat interfaced with wings.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

Actually here, here's a real honest to god quote from Will Maiden, the Senior Systems Designer for CIG:

They are hosed and have no idea what they are doing.

Yeah, like that's a massive generalisation paragraph. Where's the backstory to the complexity requiring simplification, and does Chris know you're making GBS threads on his vision?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

XK posted:

Then consider their Frankfurt office of engine and technology development is lead by an animator.
H.P. Lovecraft presents: Brian Chambers-The Animator.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

TheAgent posted:

Actually here, here's a real honest to god quote from Will Maiden, the Senior Systems Designer for CIG:

As a former software analyst this makes me really salty. he basically outlines problems my position was invented to solve like 2-3 decades ago

also if I were an actual fan or even employee of CIG and read that I'd be really nervous, because he basically is saying "fans are expecting too much of us, and we're too incompetent to do even a tenth of it"

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Tarquinn posted:

I think that tat looks like a low res photoshop.

thats what all tattoos look like before the tattooist layers in the fidelity

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SelenicMartian posted:

H.P. Lovecraft presents: Brian Chambers-The Animator.

Brian Chambers always has this look in his eye:

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

WarpDogs posted:

As a former software analyst this makes me really salty. he basically outlines problems my position was invented to solve like 2-3 decades ago

also if I were an actual fan or even employee of CIG and read that I'd be really nervous, because he basically is saying "fans are expecting too much of us, and we're too incompetent to do even a tenth of it"

i don't think it's the fans expectations but the top level mangers who are all out of touch visionaries or ideas men or their hanger on yes men.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd still like to know why Chris Roberts is a visionary since pretty much anyone could take an hour and come up with a more compelling universe than he has.

Is it because he got lucky and coded a lovely game back in the late 80s/early 90s when it was a million times easier? That's like saying that the first oil barons in texas were the true visionaries because they got there first.

He didn't even do it first, he just took elements from other games.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

Brian Chambers always has this look in his eye:

Oh, I've forgotten about this...

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

SelenicMartian posted:

Oh, I've forgotten about this...

Goddamn those T-Rex arms :derp:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

stinch posted:

i don't think it's the fans expectations but the top level mangers who are all out of touch visionaries or ideas men or their hanger on yes men.
The fans are going "is [x] feature going to be in the game?!" and Crobbers is going "sure and we'll expand on it in ridiculous ways that make no sense" and everyone cheers. It's hugely self reinforcing from everyone.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Gravity_Storm posted:

OSC was good when he was talking about the game. He now sounds like Derek's Dad.

It's interesting that I was thinking the same thing. In fact, we exchanged some messages yesterday about that. I told him to stop engaging them when it pertains to me because that just gives them the satisfaction they crave, seeing as some of them are absolutely convinced that I am him. And since I mostly ignore them, when not making fun of them, it pisses them off even more.

TheAgent posted:

so 3.0 is going to have some crashed ships, no mission givers (because levski is out and eckhart is a part of levski), some giant rear end loving moons with nothing to do, some pick up and drop crate mechanics, no orbiting planets because you basically teleport to a planet and it loads that in for you

this is a mess and is going to loving kill them if they release it and I think they know it

Nah. As much as I would love the resulting lols, I believe that Will misspoke. Because, Godamn LOL! if it's true.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen: Echo Chambers

Star Citizen: The Chambers of Secret Builds

jfc I don't know

his nibs fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 15, 2017

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

lol

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

TheAgent posted:

"yes and no. sometimes complexity is our own worst enemy, we build systems that are far too complex because "that's what's expected" of us now. we also build a complex system because it could be used in 100 different ways. but we're always looking to strip compelxity [sic] out and keep things straighforward. like the insurance or persistance, but whenever you do, there is alaways [sic] someone saying "yes but what about..." and you ahve [sic] to add another unanticipated exception to the design. so it can always swell. it is a battle between serving the game, serving the expectation and giving the player what they need, but not always what they want"

And this is where an actual design document comes into play. No random but-what-abouts, because you've already defined all your what-abouts.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Can we put the entire "Ahaha" into the thread title?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

stinch posted:

thats what all tattoos look like before the tattooist layers in the fidelity

poo poo, apparantly I know nothing about tattoo development. :v:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:thurman:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Goddamn :lol:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Who was this guy

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ramadu posted:

Who was this guy

An uber backer / one of the oddest of the odd.
He's been around forever bickering and stuff, I wonder why he deleted it though, it's strange.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Ramadu posted:

Who was this guy

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

'I'm not bluffing so screw you' he said as he shrunk and deleted his reddit account

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ComfyPants posted:

I couldn't figure out why CIG and the citizens talk about Miles Eckhart like he's some amazing cool guy everyone's waiting to meet when he's just some bald jagoff with no personality and managing a bunch of pointless tasks.

But Chris really likes him and wants him in the game. And Chris has refactored his oh-so-cool leather jacket numerous times until it's just perfect. And you can't spell "Miles Eckhart" without c-h-r-i-s.

It's all so clear now.

They probably lost Gillian Anderson and Oldman. Most likely Hamill is working on Star Wars again.

Chris is addicted to actors instead of games, so he rolls with who's still aboard and working with him. Unfortunately I think he's literally the only person who cares, but he does.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

Yes, yes, you call it. All of it. We are in agreement.

Whoa! :)

I mean. :grin:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ramadu posted:

Who was this guy

Er_Dova was a brokebrained motherfucker who couldn't write a single reddit post without calling someone a retard. I followed him around for a couple weeks as "Er__Dova" and would quietly respond to the people he insulted, apologizing for 'my' rudeness and wishing them a nice day. Eventually he found out, had a total loving meltdown, declared war on me, went through four pages of my reddit history commenting on every post I had made (star citizen related or otherwise) about how people shouldn't trust me, and then deleted both his accounts. It was cool.

e: now that I think about it, he didn't actually figure out it was me, he just had a meltdown cause I called him 'commando' and that made him assume it was me.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kromlech posted:

Imagine how thrilling it'd be to play a pirate in star citizen. After a gripping battle, you're treated to the privilege of manually grabby-handsing 80 crates of loot, one by one.

Truly a game for adrenaline junkies autistic germans.

This is part of the player slavery system. If you kill the other pcs, you'll have to steal all this stuff yourself. That could take hours. Enslave the pcs and you have your manual labor pool!

Looking forward to the first exploits of Player 77373 loading the Hull-E YouTube video with a playtime of 3:77:55:98. People will have to speed run that puppy!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/user/tsutsuman

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:lol:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

:laffo:

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
no fun

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE&t=46s

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Star Citizen: User has deleted their account.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

so basically their excuse for over-engineering the poo poo out of all their systems is "peer pressure"? Is this a 150 million dollar AAA videogame project or a 3rd grade science fair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

The Titanic posted:

Another episode of "what can our artists do to fake progress".

https://youtu.be/izCFvKfm-Cc

Or any one of another dozen liquid type plugins for whatever modeling program they're displaying there.

It looks like a decent deformer based setup. I wouldn't poo poo on that. The thing I would poo poo on is they are wasting time on such a mundane detail when the core game/working vertical slice doesn't exist. They're just paying artists to sit around and endlessly noodle bullshit.