Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

in danish history, wheelwrights were rarely worth a lot to society. wheels mostly work fine until they dont & then some guy fixes them and they work fine for 20 years more.

most villages had a wheel guy, but the guy was often one of the poorest in the village.

That's why you make lovely wheels on purpose, so people have to keep getting them fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Slime posted:

That's why you make lovely wheels on purpose, so people have to keep getting them fixed.

its a balance, though. if your wheels are too lovely dudes'll go to the next town over and get their wheels there

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 09:55 on Jul 15, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powaqoatse posted:

its a balance, though. if your wheels are too lovely dudes'll go to the next town over and get their wheels there

They can’t get to the next town if they got no wheels.

touches temple

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Platystemon posted:

They can’t get to the next town if they got no wheels.

touches temple

son, they walk

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Platystemon posted:

Lord of [...] Besançon

Huh. That's a city in eastern France, nowhere near the Netherlands.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Borders used to be a lot messier.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Kassad posted:

Huh. That's a city in eastern France, nowhere near the Netherlands.

Orange is in southern France. Nassau is in Germany I think? Loads of German and Belgian place names in that list. It's just ancient rulers exchanging pieces of land and being granted random titles.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah nationstates are a recent invention. Used to be all of europe was a bunch of principalities & fiefs & what not, at times some were gathered under a king or an emperor & the year after, under different rulers.

p sure that for centuries, BeNeLux = Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg (think of them as an "entity" in the same way as Scandinavia -- constantly changing around but never absorbed into an "outside" kingdom).. anyway benelux were for a while under the Spanish crown (until the inbred Carlos II came around, the dude who was unable to eat or speak) lol & as you can see, that has been forgotten entirely

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Slime posted:

When you live in a village where everybody knows you and people can beat you up, it's not all that great strategy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

steinrokkan posted:

When you live in a village where everybody knows you and people can beat you up, it's not all that great strategy.

Get the blacksmith in on your racket because he’s built like a Greek god.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Platystemon posted:

Get the blacksmith in on your racket because he’s built like a Greek god.

One of the ugly ones that is.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

Yeah nationstates are a recent invention. Used to be all of europe was a bunch of principalities & fiefs & what not, at times some were gathered under a king or an emperor & the year after, under different rulers.

p sure that for centuries, BeNeLux = Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg (think of them as an "entity" in the same way as Scandinavia -- constantly changing around but never absorbed into an "outside" kingdom).. anyway benelux were for a while under the Spanish crown (until the inbred Carlos II came around, the dude who was unable to eat or speak) lol & as you can see, that has been forgotten entirely

Benelux as a thing is relatively recent, though. The benelux was founded in 1944 as a customs union and was basically the very first step towards what much later would become the European Union.

Benelux -> European Coal and Steel Community, -> European Economic Community -> European Union. The entity Benelux still exists but isn't nearly as important anymore since the EU and Schengen became a thing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ya i know bnl as such are a recent invention & it doesnt even exist anymore -- they have the same kind of weird community/lack of same that scandinavia has

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

ya i know bnl as such are a recent invention & it doesnt even exist anymore -- they have the same kind of weird community/lack of same that scandinavia has

Wikipedia:

The original establishing treaty, set to expire in 2010, was replaced by a new legal framework (called the Treaty revising the Treaty establishing the Benelux Economic Union), which was signed on 17 June 2008.

The new treaty has no set time limit and the name of the Benelux Economic Union changed to Benelux Union to reflect the broad scope on the union.[51] The main objectives of the treaty are the continuation and enlargement of the cooperation between the three member states within a larger European context. The renewed treaty explicitly foresees the possibility that the Benelux countries will cooperate with other European member States or with regional cooperation structures. The new Benelux cooperation focuses on three main topics: internal market and economic union, sustainability, justice and internal affairs. The number of structures in the renewed Treaty has been reduced and thus simplified. Five Benelux institutions remain: the Benelux Committee of Ministers, the Benelux Council, the Benelux Parliament, the Benelux Court of Justice, the Benelux Secretariat General. Beside these five institutions, the Benelux Organisation for Intellectual Property is also present in this Treaty.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wtf are you doing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

accident

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Powaqoatse posted:

A lot of sources claim that vikings were all hosed up on shrooms (red amanita is the usual claim) when they went "berzerk". histrorians find it unlikely that they were tripping balls, but linguistically berzerk is "bar" (bare) + "særk" (cloth) ie = (at least partially nude). i think the current theory is that having a bunch of shirtless dudes run at you was scarier than a bunch of dudes wearing shirts running at you?

Wouldnt be surprised if they tripped nuts. But shrooms typically envelops users with a profound sense of love, peace, and unity. It would be hard to imagine them slaughtering villages of innocent civilians while on a flower power trip, unless they were having a bad trip and all the civilians had devil faces.

On a side note, native americans who did a lot of peyote, and made blankets, you can look at the very vivid, and geometrical patterns, and see that they were taken directly from the peyote induced hallucinations, that is similar to the euclidian geometry visuals that current users of psychedelics report and make art of.

MeatRocket8 has a new favorite as of 11:44 on Jul 15, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ChocNitty posted:

Wouldnt be surprised if they tripped nuts. But shrooms typically envelops users with a profound sense of love, peace, and unity. It would be hard to imagine them slaughtering villages of innocent civilians while on a flower power trip, unless they were having a bad trip and all the civilians had devil faces.

On a side note, native americans who did a lot of peyote, and made blankets, you can look at the very vivid, and geometrical patterns, and see that they were taken directly from the peyote induced hallucinations, that is similar to the euclidian geometry visuals that current users of psychedelics report and make art of.

I mean, the rugs that my grandparents used to hang in their summer cottage had the same zig-zag patterns, down to the diamonds within diamonds motives and colors, it really is uncanny, and they were made in Turkey or Yugoslavia, afaik. Wouldn't it be more plausible they just used patterns that were permitted by the weaving techniques they were using?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

it should be mentioned that vikings are primarily described by two groups of sources - the icelandic sagas about awesome ancestors & the convents/burgomeisters who were pillaged

so the former is p much pure heroism (fights & murders are awesome) and the latter is p much pure capriciousness (fights and murders are bad)

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

I mean, the rugs that my grandparents used to hang in their summer cottage had the same zig-zag patterns, down to the diamonds within diamonds motives and colors, it really is uncanny, and they were made in Turkey or Yugoslavia, afaik. Wouldn't it be more plausible they just used patterns that were permitted by the weaving techniques they were using?

Your post reminded me of this photo taken in Yugoslavia in 1985. Spot the rugs being sold:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Meanwhile, in Byzantium: "in Christ, Emperor and Autocrat of the Romans".

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

haggisforthesoul's mortal frenemy

ChocNitty posted:

Except berserkers weren't taking mushrooms containing psilocybin, like the ones taken for recreational use today are. They're taking fly agaric mushrooms which has a different psychoactive agent that is much less pleasant and predictable.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria?wprov=sfla1

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Powaqoatse posted:

it should be mentioned that vikings are primarily described by two groups of sources - the icelandic sagas about awesome ancestors & the convents/burgomeisters who were pillaged

so the former is p much pure heroism (fights & murders are awesome) and the latter is p much pure capriciousness (fights and murders are bad)

please define "capriciousness"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

InediblePenguin posted:

please define "capriciousness"

it was supposed to be the opposite of heroism. i know its not -- i was looking for a better word & stopped caring

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

e: capricious: fleeting, superficial, i think

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Chimbley Sweep posted:

Except berserkers weren't taking mushrooms containing psilocybin, like the ones taken for recreational use today are. They're taking fly agaric mushrooms which has a different psychoactive agent that is much less pleasant and predictable.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria?wprov=sfla1

I took a class in cultural botany and my professor spent a few weeks talking about the various psychedelics available to various peoples in history. European psychedelics positively suck, largely because they are nearly all anticholinergic and thus induce delirium, not fun,happy sexy times that psilocin produces. Whether or not this could be valuable on the battlefield seems like kind of a silly debate - in addition to being extremely dehydrating, the various plants that induce delirium (nightshade, belladona, fly agaric, etc) also cause extreme dehydration and diminished eyesight and in too high doses, will cause kidney failure, convulsions, and eventually, death.

Fun facts about Fly Agaric though:
1.It's anticholinergic agents largely pass through the body unmetabolized, and are eliminated via urine. Thus, it's postulated that various Siberian tribes did their communal bonding by drinking their shaman's hallucogenic, delirium-inducing piss.
2. Fly Agaric is probably mentioned in Vedic manuscripts (that precursor to the mythological clusterfuck we call Hinduism) as being a real great way to get close to the gods, which I guess, is both literal and figurative.
3. Santa Claus's suit is red and white. Fly agaric is red with white spots. For really long, detailed reasons I won't go into, Santa Clauses modern day coloring is possibly the result of the modern day synthesizing of cultural drifting ideas, namely Western Europeans phobia of mushrooms (which is pretty justified, considering) and Eastern European's love of mushrooms.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

afaik modern santa is a synthesis of northern european gnomes (nisser/tomter) and his hat is basically the same phrygian cap that the french revolutionnaires wore

anyway the important part is making sure to feed the house elves, or they might kill your cattle and destroy your crops

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

afaik modern santa is a synthesis of northern european gnomes (nisser/tomter) and his hat is basically the same phrygian cap that the french revolutionnaires wore

That, also some Norse god, and also the actual Turkish saint St Nicholas features somewhere.

E: Also, Santa got his modern colors from Coca Cola.

Carbon dioxide has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Jul 15, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

old saint nick as they say. fully invented & commercialized in the early 1900s

at least we still call it Jul here & not christ-mess lol

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The nisser/tomten are remnants of ancestor worship. They used to be the spirits of the ancient dead that need to be appeased and respected to keep the home safe and land fertile but that somehow morphed over time into Christmas gnomes.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Jul 15, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ya for sure

my great great grandfather's cousin recounted how they had to move their main farm house due to flooding circa 1900. he was a child then, & as was my great grandpa. anyway underneath the floor (packed clay + straw) they had a buried skull from a horse. this was for the nisse and they moved it with the house and burit it first so the nisse would know wherre to live.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Your post reminded me of this photo taken in Yugoslavia in 1985. Spot the rugs being sold:

Haha, those are pretty much the exact ones, but slightly less colorful.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Medieval communities often had strict laws governing the quality of things like bread and beer, and being caught cheating customers was a good way to get publicly humiliated and injured.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

steinrokkan posted:

Haha, those are pretty much the exact ones, but slightly less colorful.

ya those ladies are too cool

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Carbon dioxide posted:

E: Also, Santa got his modern colors from Coca Cola.

No he didn't. He was depicted in all kinds of ways and wearing all kinds of outfits over the years, but the "fat man in red+white" look was already the standard one by the time Coke used him in an advert.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

chitoryu12 posted:

Medieval communities often had strict laws governing the quality of things like bread and beer, and being caught cheating customers was a good way to get publicly humiliated and injured.

Did guilds exist outside towns? I thought guild charters were only granted as part of town privileges.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Powaqoatse posted:

bloody hell

shame on all this thread for being lazier & thus smarter than me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTlT8-qYUk

For those who don't feel like reading today.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

steinrokkan posted:

Did guilds exist outside towns? I thought guild charters were only granted as part of town privileges.

The laws on bread and beer quality, at least in England, were crown-level and had nothing to do with guilds. Anyone anywhere in England who was adulterating their flour or watering down their beer would get in trouble for violating the Assizes; in rural areas you'd be directly answerable to your local lord and his court for it, as a representative of the King.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powaqoatse posted:

A lot of sources claim that vikings were all hosed up on shrooms (red amanita is the usual claim) when they went "berzerk".

There's really only one source that claimed that. Samuel Ödmann wrote in 1784 that berserkers might have eaten shrooms, the reason was that he had seen siberian shamans do shrooms. No contemporary sources mentions them doing shrooms before going to battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
Honestly shaman sounds like a pretty great gig