Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
"There is no place for me in a 'civilized' society."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

He's implying he's going to commit suicide, like so many vets do. :ultimatesmith:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The gently caress did he just do??

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

He instantly incapacitated everyone in engineering but I guess they're all nerds who don't carry phasers so it makes sense.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

drat this guy's powerful. Almost a Mary Sue.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

drat this guy's powerful. Almost a Mary Sue.

Does he have special colored eyes, like purple?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh, Worf confronting Danar, I wonder who'll win.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Worf why would you take your eyes off of him you gotdamned noob

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Oh, Worf confronting Danar, I wonder who'll win.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I really like but don't understand the part where he physically busts out of the transporter beam

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard: "You asked them to defend your way of life, then you discarded them."

Getem

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Tighclops posted:

I really like but don't understand the part where he physically busts out of the transporter beam

Yeah they didn't explain that. Also they knew he survived it somehow, like it went from "no Danar you'll be killed" to "we must find him"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Whew Picard's not even saying anything and you can feel how pissed he is.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Now Danar's trying to commit suicide by cop. This whole episode is way too real about veterans.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah they didn't explain that. Also they knew he survived it somehow, like it went from "no Danar you'll be killed" to "we must find him"
The reason everyone's so insistent about the transporter beam killing you is because of folk-memories of this guy.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

MisterBibs posted:

Speaking of characters leaving, I still wish Second Chances (the Double Riker episode) had ended with their original concept: Commander Riker either dying or moving on to captaincy, Lt Riker taking Data's spot, and Data becoming First Officer.

This could have been really cool. Though it might have robbed us of that fun DS9 episode about the Defiant clowning on the entire Cardassian fleet.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

not to mention sideburns.gif

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

He's just a dem soc which by definition is a form of liberal. So I could care less what he does

You mean soc dem, not dem soc (contrary to what Bernie himself says) but otherwise you're right.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The security team's holding the guy at phaserpoint, he moves on them so they shoot, but it barely even slows him down. There must be a setting even weaker than Riker used on that familial assassin girl

Set phasers to tickle

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Set phasers to tickle

You do hear Riker command that phasers be set to maximum stun, why didn't they do that before?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Now Danar's trying to commit suicide by cop. This whole episode is way too real about veterans.

Well, yeah. What do you think Rambo was actually about?

The first one, not the sequels where he gets his job back.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sad King Billy posted:

You do hear Riker command that phasers be set to maximum stun, why didn't they do that before?

People still get injuries and burns from sun settings and can even die from point blank fire. I'm sure the Feds default setting is "dissuade" rather than "probably an inch shy of death"

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Phasers have 16 settings and 1-3 are all "stun" with, I guess, varying levels of agony. Then I guess 4-8 are the normal "kill" levels and 16 will vaporize a city block. There's some overlap between stun and kill if the target is really strong or really angry or the writers forget the numbers.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 15, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FuturePastNow posted:

Phasers have 16 settings and 1-3 are all "stun" with, I guess, varying levels of agony. Then I guess 4-8 are the normal "kill" levels and 16 will vaporize a city block. There's some overlap between stun and kill if the target is really strong or really angry or the writers forget the numbers.

Much like warp, phaser settings are at the power of plot.

Doesn't the end of Empok Nor have O'Brien trying to kill Garak with a phaser set to detonate like a bomb, yet it fails and only knocks him out?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

O'Brien isn't suicidal he would have set it to a low yield.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Don't phasers also have a wide beam setting which magically hits all the shooter's intended targets and nothing else

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008

Don't phasers also have a wide beam setting which magically hits all the shooter's intended targets and nothing else

Do you mean the scan setting from DS9 where they're chasing Odo around the station in case a changeling ever got on board? That always struck me as weird cuz apparently it bothers Odo but doesn't harm any of the real furniture

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
The Next Phase is a bad episode, but I love how Ro is pretty much immediately 'well, i'm dead, that's that, being dead is cool' while Geordi gets huffy about being a 'blind ghost with clothes' before storming off through a bulkhead.

I can't put my finger on it but there's something 'off' about Data in the episode too, it's like in all his scenes they used the wrong take.

[e] Ro casually shooting up their funeral while Riker jams on the trombone. Wild

spincube fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 15, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

They used it once on Voyager. Tuvok phasered everyone on the bridge at once.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

8one6 posted:

They used it once on Voyager. Tuvok phasered everyone on the bridge at once.

They do it a couple times in DS9, too, mostly in the context of "sweeping for Changelings." A wide beam spreads out and hits everything in a triangle shape in front of the shooter, except I guess they have it set low enough that it doesn't have any effect on inanimate objects.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

I think a lot of this was to accomodate the various cool and innovative things people on TOS did with the phasers. Which to some extent is good, like Chekov shooting a rock with his phaser to make it glow and produce heat is way cooler than "oh I will build a fire," even if nowadays it would be the latter with lovingly gritty survival-show photography.

But sometimes that poo poo was goofy. Remember when the ship's phasers were used? On a planet? ON STUN?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah on the ep where the scientist lady hates the crystaline entity, Riker and Data (i think) phaser the inside of the walls of a cave to make LIGHT. Imagine how much heat that made while they were trapped in there for hours and hours! They were sweaty afterwards, I'll give them that, but phasers are magic!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
But Data is a robot!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Gonz posted:

But Data is a robot!

I bet he sweats though if he wants to. He's fully functional, don't you know

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
:grin:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nessus posted:

But sometimes that poo poo was goofy. Remember when the ship's phasers were used? On a planet? ON STUN?

What's wrong with that? Sensors + adaptive optics to deliver the correct... uh, dosage, for lack of a better word, through the atmosphere. It easily makes as much or more sense than lots of things in Star Trek, like a beam weapon with a stun setting in the first place.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Yeah on the ep where the scientist lady hates the crystaline entity, Riker and Data (i think) phaser the inside of the walls of a cave to make LIGHT. Imagine how much heat that made while they were trapped in there for hours and hours! They were sweaty afterwards, I'll give them that, but phasers are magic!

Maybe the crystals were uh, just really efficient.

Orv
May 4, 2011

spincube posted:

The Next Phase is a bad episode, but I love how Ro is pretty much immediately 'well, i'm dead, that's that, being dead is cool' while Geordi gets huffy about being a 'blind ghost with clothes' before storming off through a bulkhead.

I can't put my finger on it but there's something 'off' about Data in the episode too, it's like in all his scenes they used the wrong take.

[e] Ro casually shooting up their funeral while Riker jams on the trombone. Wild

It's a bad episode but it's a favorite of mine because I love watching bad sci-fi and fantasy TV, and that episode (people caught in another dimension/phase/whatever) comes up in every single one of them and it's always funny to see the same episode eighty times with different lines.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

What's wrong with that? Sensors + adaptive optics to deliver the correct... uh, dosage, for lack of a better word, through the atmosphere. It easily makes as much or more sense than lots of things in Star Trek, like a beam weapon with a stun setting in the first place.
what is wrong with that is that GIANT DEATH LASERS can and should only be used to HURT or KILL, ideally for RESOURCE PROFITS and HEGEMONY

Nah though it was actually really impressive, but it does suggest that phasers are not just glorified red lasers. If I had to put in for a Marvel No-Prize on the topic, I'd say that phasers probably emit some kind of weird radiation that numbs and fucks up voluntary nervous system activity, which is normally icing on the cake when it's on "burning skeleton" levels. The "Stun" setting just dials back the energy levels so it's just a burst of the nerve gently caress-up with little or no burning force applied.

This explains why they did 'phaser sweeps' for changelings (if it messes with their shape-holding, which seems to be something like a held "posture" rather than a fundamental "change") and also why you can gut through it if you're mad enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Whenever various tinkerbell entities possess the crew they also become immune to stunning, usually. Maybe their minds are stunned but it doesn't matter if someone else is driving.