Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Ramadu posted:

where did derek get the 285 million figure from anyway

It can only be Derek's inside sources.

If it's anywhere near accurate, crobbler needs some kind of award.

If this wiki is accurate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

then this project would be the number one most expensive game, even including marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

He says bad things about my video game, I wish the apocalypse to him and his.
- A very sane person.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

I blame Titanic, she stole that :10bux: box of dicks the other day and now she is just throwing them around willy nilly.

She is a goon and is bound to be doing it for the lols, totally lack of respect for the dick. :sad:

All she care about is deck chairs,cute taxxes and friendos.

Haha. And here I was just going to let the dragon eating a dick fly by. But now, nope. Can't do it.

I just see this as a potential star Citizen mini game challenge. For every box of dicks you buy, there may be a dragon inside eating them. With Game of Thrones almost ready to go again, you know you want to be the new mother of dragons. So go get naked and start hunting those boxes of dicks, because if you catch them all you too might find some dick eating dragons.

(This is the longest per-word post with dragons and dicks in it thread. Please archive it for posterity)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Do they not realise anyone can use lumberyard

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks

Our subreddit keeps getting better every day.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Space Crabs posted:

I'd still like to know why Chris Roberts is a visionary since pretty much anyone could take an hour and come up with a more compelling universe than he has.

Is it because he got lucky and coded a lovely game back in the late 80s/early 90s when it was a million times easier? That's like saying that the first oil barons in texas were the true visionaries because they got there first.

He didn't even do it first, he just took elements from other games.

I think people regard him (incorrectly) as a visionary is because there are certain current facts about what a game can do. Instead of CR accepting those facts and working around them, he says, "Yeah, but that's only because I haven't done it yet."

And then he goes on. Now it's important to realize that as of yet, he hasn't made a single one of these outlandish promises come true. It's possible that these promises are also holding him back; though I doubt it as it looks like he does not have the programming talent to even start to approach these issues much less surmount them.

I think one of the biggest is the MMO twitch style gameplay featuring space combat and ground combat stuff simultaneously. Such as being able to blow holes in ships and watch marines fighting inside, or through windows, with huge mile long ships modeled out completely with internal structures.

Despite the fact that CR has not bested a single one of these goals, people should probably stop assuming he is a visionary, and more of an under experienced over promiser. This happens a lot, especially in indie game development because everybody thinks making an RPG or GTA is pretty easy. At least until they start working on it outside of their one room test level, if they even get that far.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Do they not realise

As a general rule. no.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

History Comes Inside! posted:

Do they not realise anyone can use lumberyard

Ironically it seems anyone can also use lumberyard and also pretend they are partners with Amazon. It's just kind a thing.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Kromlech posted:

Some star citizens i know are now interested in another promising mmorpg, Chronicles of Elyria. I wonder how it stacks up but i'm too lazy to investigate. Someone touch the poop and report back, TIA.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com

There's a COE thread in the MMO HMO, but I'll summarize: vague promises, nobility titles for sale (10k for king), I'm personally in a group where people have proudly dropped 40k+ and no they're not rich, devs have explicitly stated they won't enforce RMT and people think that's totally fine because ~transportation~, they've backtracked on like 30 design ideas, "zerging will be impossible" promises, etc.

Dead game.

Lots of people using it to try to make gaming communities, it's hilarious.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i was starting to worry star citizen might not launch this year but fortunately lethality tweeted it would be goty :sweatdrop:

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

a sane backer posted:

I think the worst thing that could happen to derek is if we kidnap him in the dead of night, strip him naked, cut him open from groin to throat, and feed him into a pit of scorpions and fire ants. Capture it all on film and upload it for Lord Croberts' amusement

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
:yikes:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

his nibs fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 15, 2017

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Degs posted:

I'm personally in a group where people have proudly dropped 40k+ and no they're not rich,

gently caress man, there's some giant whales in the gaming community I play lovely games with, but they're all either actually legit rich, or Engineer/Buisiness nerds with no kids/wives/etc and big paychecks.

Couldn't imagine dropping 40k on a game unless I had millions, and even then probably never.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

The Titanic posted:

Haha. And here I was just going to let the dragon eating a dick fly by. But now, nope. Can't do it.

I just see this as a potential star Citizen mini game challenge. For every box of dicks you buy, there may be a dragon inside eating them. With Game of Thrones almost ready to go again, you know you want to be the new mother of dragons. So go get naked and start hunting those boxes of dicks, because if you catch them all you too might find some dick eating dragons.

(This is the longest per-word post with dragons and dicks in it thread. Please archive it for posterity)

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DRAGON INTO THE SLOT. ITS CHRONICLES OF DICK AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, DICK. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN SPLORCHIN SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME GELATIN EGGS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CITIZENS CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXY’S MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY ANGER MANAGEMENT CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE ON DISABILITY CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE DRAGON AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING MELT DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN OVIPOSITOR.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Well this is scary. It's just a video game, guys. Don't be weird and creepy.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Thoatse posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DRAGON INTO THE SLOT. ITS CHRONICLES OF DICK AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, DICK. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN SPLORCHIN SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME GELATIN EGGS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CITIZENS CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXY’S MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY ANGER MANAGEMENT CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE ON DISABILITY CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE DRAGON AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING MELT DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN OVIPOSITOR.

Oh poo poo lol.

We'll have to combine forces. :)

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
The narrative is that Derek is making up his kids and wife, but if they're real he definitely beats them. They're super normal

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The worst thing that can happen to Derek is... mild embarrassment and a shitload of people getting sued? For him that's a positive

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
CIG have partnered with MadCatz.
CIG have parnered with Amazon.
CIG have partnered with Coutts & Co.
CIG have partnered with the UK Government.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/adnan_ahmed/status/886332730589323264

https://twitter.com/Sporkyy/status/886317637306855424

https://twitter.com/Franjayallday/status/886313720254676992

https://twitter.com/StarCitizenTrac/status/886299568064708609

https://twitter.com/_Jeg_/status/886249184353038337

https://twitter.com/toggleModal/status/886210774426935297

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

If I thought for one second Derek wasn't a millionaire with a hot wife and cool car, I'd change my opinion on Star Citizen so quick.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

MilesK posted:

If I thought for one second Derek wasn't a millionaire with a hot wife and cool car, I'd change my opinion on Star Citizen so quick.
:same:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Ponzi posted:

Now that one would't surprise me. Our government has done some dumb loving poo poo recently.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Boo Huxley (Sandi), obsessed with age, as always.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Thoatse posted:

Interesting.

For me, every morning there's a halo hanging from the corner of my girlfriend's four post bed. I know it's not mine but I'll see if I can use it for the weekend or a one-night stand.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

I forget, was maht_daymun a goon plant to make the SC community look like a bunch of lunatics?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ponzi posted:

CIG have partnered with HMPS Brixton.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8zC3-ZQFJI

still more useful than star citizen's 'tech'

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Wow, that's a good point about the sheer expense of Star Citizen. At the moment 150 million makes it the fifth most expensive game ever made - including marketing costs and accounting for inflation. Except it's not made, hell it isn't even half done! Holy crap!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Jesus gently caress, what happened to cause 4003458761985761987 posts since I caught up yesterday?

Also, I played tabletoparmymans today. In the spirit of de-skeletonisation day this week, I called my armymans "Fourth Stimpirical Chilldankly Detection and Eradication Operations" and "Fourth Stimpirical Pain Tax Evasion Inspectors".

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ponzi posted:

CIG have partnered with AMD.
CIG have parnered with Intel.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
http://i.imgur.com/rToseKi.gifv

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*chris Roberts gets a big mac* CIG has partnered with McDonald's

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Spatial posted:

Wow, that's a good point about the sheer expense of Star Citizen. At the moment 150 million makes it the fifth most expensive game ever made - including marketing costs and accounting for inflation. Except it's not made, hell it isn't even half done! Holy crap!

Aye, Derek's number puts it at number one. Accuracy of that, completely unknown.

Their own tracker puts it at number 5, between Star Wars: The Old Republic, and Destiny. There's a $71 million spread between those two, and it's not a good place to be for something in a barely alpha tech-demo state.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
The backers have been blatantly lied to again you say?

Let's see how they've reacted...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Star Citizen: Powered by Meltdowns