Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
aggressive and aggressively dumb points of view

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Call Me Charlie posted:

Hey now, some times you have to make compromises and that's the best we can do in a republican stronghold like New York City. Sorry Fernando Cabrera isn't pure enough for you but did you see the other guys?

New York non-national politics is so machine based that the parties have become almost indistinguishable in their ideologies.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
I think what he is saying is that the democratic party did not offer much or any support during these races either monetarily or via endorsements, and in spite of this the candidates still pulled off an election.

Getting defensive about legit criticisms is not going to move this party forward

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Shuka posted:

I think what he is saying is that the democratic party did not offer much or any support during these races either monetarily or via endorsements, and in spite of this the candidates still pulled off an election.

Getting defensive about legit criticisms is not going to move this party forward

surely those name-brand representatives would have won if they ran as independents

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

skylined! posted:

surely those name-brand representatives would have won if they ran as independents

skylined! posted:

aggressive and aggressively dumb points of view

Don't sign your posts.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Don't sign your posts.

are you also of the opinion that oklahoma democrats who just won election in oklahoma should not be considered part of the democratic party

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

skylined! posted:

you're an idiot. We literally have a stronger libertarian presence on our ballots than dems.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Shuka posted:

That's exactly what I'm saying

Amazingly centrist fools lose the ability to read when that gets in the way of trying to deflect criticism

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Condiv posted:

That's exactly what I'm saying

which is both a fair statement, and not what you said. i'd suggest examining why it took someone else to decipher and then guess at what your true meaning was, but you don't seem to be someone who takes suggestion well

quote:

Amazingly centrist fools lose the ability to read when that gets in the way of trying to deflect criticism

reflexively defensive goon makes the above statement, sits back in their chair smugly, celebrating another internet victory over those centrists

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

skylined! posted:

also extremely lol that you actually think the democrat brand is what won these seats in Oklahoma

I'm sure the blood red state of oklahoma voted for these peeps because of non-existent ties to hillary or obama

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Condiv posted:

also extremely lol that you actually think the democrat brand is what won these seats in Oklahoma

Condiv posted:

are you incapable of reading?

:ironicat:

anyway have a happy saturday. i have been owned in the democrats are a waste thread.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

skylined! posted:

p. sure that the dem brand means, at best, jack and poo poo in flyover states

candidates winning in red areas with no real support from their state/national party aren't winning because of their party affiliation. if anything, it's a testament to how terrible local republicans have become.

quote:

"I've seen a number of stories since last night trying to make that connection [to national politics] but what we heard while knocking doors and talking to voters across the district never gave me that impression," Gaddis told The Daily Beast. "Very few people made mention of Trump and instead talked about what was going on in our own state. They talked about how voting for the Republican in this race was just going to give us more of the same in Oklahoma."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

skylined! posted:

i'd suggest examining why it took someone else to decipher and then guess at what your true meaning was, but you don't seem to be someone who takes suggestion well

My post wasn't the problem. Your need to immediately dismiss me as an idiot to defend the democrats was. Hence why you latched onto a message that wasn't there and dug in after multiple people told you "nah he's not saying that"

quote:

reflexively defensive goon makes the above statement, sits back in their chair smugly, celebrating another internet victory over those berniebros

FTFY

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If it helps Skylined! Realize what Condiv is saying; if Quist won, he would respond to acting like Quist is representative of the democratic party with the same level of incredulity.

Essentially, "last I checked the OK democrats are a part of the democratic party!" is almost fishmechian in its level of being technically correct without being practically correct in any sense of the word.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Call Me Charlie posted:

candidates winning in red areas with no real support from their state/national party aren't winning because of their party affiliation. if anything, it's a testament to how terrible local republicans have become.

Neurolimal posted:

Essentially, "last I checked the OK democrats are a part of the democratic party!" is almost fishmechian in its level of being technically correct without being practically correct in any sense of the word.

these are both things worth considering. thanks.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

skylined! posted:

i have been owned in the democrats are a waste thread.

thats what happens when you fall on your sword to defend the democratic party

get better opinions imo

also don't take parting shots if you're just going to keep posting its bad form

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

skylined! posted:

these are both things worth considering. thanks.

Kudos on being more reasonable and adult-like than most D&D posters, especially ones that refuse to be Wrong On The Internet.

I say that with peace and love, its nice to see occasions where people are willing to admit they erred :).

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Neurolimal posted:

Kudos on being more reasonable and adult-like than most D&D posters, especially ones that refuse to be Wrong On The Internet.

I say that with peace and love, its nice to see occasions where people are willing to admit they erred :).

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

If it helps Skylined! Realize what Condiv is saying; if Quist won, he would respond to acting like Quist is representative of the democratic party with the same level of incredulity.

good to see the mysterious ukmt redtext buyer is still doing the lord's work

Doktor Avalanche fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 15, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Barbe Rouge posted:

good to see the myterious ukmt redtext buyer is still doing the lord's work

God bless them.

On actual dem discussion: I think what bothers me most about the dem slogan candidates is how they sound like something workshopped from a Marvel focus group. I say that as someone who likes Marvel films; its that coy humor that makes sense in a lighthearted escapist fantasy, but not a serious party dealing with real issues. It's attempting to appear irreverent during a time where people need a genuine social equality party to revere and respect, and the party needs an identity worthy of reverence.

Just think of recent slogans that have been happily embraced: Yes We Can, Feel the Bern (in reference to "holy poo poo a politician is saying that We need help), For The Many Not The Few, Make America Great Again (disconnect it from the fact that Trump immediately failed to live up to his slogan). All are serious declarations that invoke a respect for the people. Make Congress Blue again, just like I'm With Her, invokes a feeling of the democrats being owed power and allegiance.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

defrauding banks is cool and good and should happen more often, in my opinion

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's because they feel they're owed power and allegiance and have no desire to deal with the real issues. They consider people not voting for them to be children throwing a tantrum.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's because they feel they're owed power and allegiance and have no desire to deal with the real issues. They consider people not voting for them to be children throwing a tantrum.

the way democrats talk about independent, third party, and nonvoters really weirds me out. All of those groups are as or nearly as evil as republicans no matter how closely they align with us. They didn't vote democrat, which makes them the worst. On the other hand, obviously lovely people like joe Scarborough are perfectly fine now cause they might vote dem now.

It reminds me of the southern baptist bullshit I was forced to listen to in sunday school. It doesn't matter how good a person pretends to be, if they're not a Christian they're evil and going to hell. Likewise, the biggest sinner on earth can instantly receive redemption if he gets baptized and starts believing in jesus

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Its kinda neat how post-2016 "fishmechian" is a slur with a broadly agreed-upon meaning.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Inescapable Duck posted:

Its kinda like local government ransoming food stamps against participation in a program that requires taking low paying, unreliable, unskilled work with companies that get tax breaks for the compulsory labor. Its exploitative, nakedly corrupt, and reprehensible, but what else are you gonna do? Vote Republican?

Class struggle at the DSS is real.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Willie Tomg posted:

Its kinda neat how post-2016 "fishmechian" is a slur with a broadly agreed-upon meaning.

fishmechian (adj.): "pertaining to a conclusion that is technically correct, but simultaneously misleading about a broader truth; usually addressing minutiae that only someone with profound autism could appreciate."

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
real talk the democratic party right now is absolutely disgusting because we let it get that way, people who couldn't cut it being republican decided to mosey on in with a new name tag and people automatically waved them in to poo poo all over the place.

The amazing thing about 2017 is that there's a lot of pissed off angry people now and everyone's practically making an effort to show who these people are so they can get removed.

MAYBE the democratic party won't be such a shithole like the republican party someday???????? does anyone even give a poo poo?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Maybe we bar anyone with a net worth higher than 1 million or so from holding any office and also hang every lobbyist

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Dizz posted:

real talk the democratic party right now is absolutely disgusting because we let it get that way, people who couldn't cut it being republican decided to mosey on in with a new name tag and people automatically waved them in to poo poo all over the place.

Its not that simple. You have to take into account the context of the political shift. The Southern strategy effectively reversed the Democratic and Republican parties.
The old southern democrats were fairly conservative and the Clintons were the face of them, as of 2014, they no longer exist. The politics of the south are explicitly based on race, no political party is going to achieve dominance without pandering to the explicit white supremacist power structure that governs the south, the connection between race and party affiliation is nearly one to one in the deep south, and a political power changes carry overtones of violent ethnic retaliations like a third world country with tribal political structures. Northern liberals desperately want to ignore this, because there is no way they can indefinitely court wealthy donors and sell out the poor without leaving the Republican party as the only avenue of protest under a two party system with it as the sole proprietor of a 3rd world protofascist faction of the country.

Nobody wants to hear it, but the South didn't go Republican because Nixon tricked them, it went south because the Democrats did the right thing and supported civil rights. The GOP was just willing to pick up the pieces.

Rural areas are going to be 30% of the population and have 70 senators. Sanders crushed Trump utterly in head to head polls. The DNC is responsible for the situation because they're the only ones sane enough to even address it, but its not financially viable to have a populist party. If the DNC refuses to address reforms, vile hucksters like Rump are going to be an escalating threat, he fundamentally represents nihilistic anger, the result of people not caring because the criminality at the heart of the system is so pronounced only the most deranged are left to trick.

The dismantling of unions was a Republican project that was accepted by Democrats because it was convenient, case in point the anti union scum the DNC took into the fold in PA to avoid any kind of contested election.

The democrats were never what you imagined. Now with the abandonment of the new deal, the rise of the new democrats, etc, they're closer to the not-insane parts of the old GOP. The Democrats weren't perfect, and its white washing to pretend they were. However at this point become so degenerate their only appeal is not actively trying to murder millions of people. The increase in banditry is the mark of a collapsing society.

Shukaro posted:

Maybe we bar anyone with a net worth higher than 1 million or so from holding any office and also hang every lobbyist

Or support a platform that isn't garbage.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

fishmechian (adj.): "pertaining to a conclusion that is technically correct, but simultaneously misleading about a broader truth; usually addressing minutiae that only someone with profound autism could appreciate."

see also: Vox

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Shukaro posted:

$1 million ain't exactly that much these days, I'm afraid. Make it $10 million.

botany posted:

see also: Vox

He and I may have butted heads once or twice over the years, yes.;)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Majorian posted:

$1 million ain't exactly that much these days, I'm afraid.

:ughh: Come on, Majorian, you're better than this.

Like, this is shit_centrists_say.txt

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

He and I may have butted heads once or twice over the years, yes.;)

that works too but i was referring to Ezra Klein, Matt Yglesias and those other professional forest-for-trees-missers over at vox.com

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
After helping lead the very important job of firing teachers from public schools while increasing spending on charter schools, Pod save the people host Deray McKesson has decided that his mission is complete, so he will quit his $165k a year job as head of human resources for Baltimore's public schools. I hope he can keep fighting the good fight of educating pop celebs on cultural appropriation, complaining about blue vests on planet of the apes, and cheerleading for privatization of public school systems and firing teachers mid-class.

Key section on new budget:

quote:

The budget for the fiscal year beginning July 1 represents a 2.6 percent decrease from this year. Santelises' budget decreases per-pupil funding for traditional schools by about $150, bringing the total to $5,416 for next year.

Charter schools are budgeted to see an increase of about $150, pushing the per-pupil total to $9,288.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
e: redacted since this page is for giggles and rainbows with idiot centrists who don't know how to read - I'm sure skylined! will give me other opportunities to meanpost

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 15, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Condiv posted:

the argument i heard wrt that was that those were pledges, and pledges tend to break their funding promises all the time. cause that's what they are, promises and not contracts. likewise, said pledges are likely to lie and say "i didn't offer $X support!" if it comes out that they pledged $X but ended up giving $Y, because going back on your word is p embarrassing, and them doing such tanked the college the pledged to support.

Hm, so I guess that in that case it could turn into a "he said she said" situation? Though it seems like this wouldn't apply if there were some documentation saying they pledged $X and then Sanders' wife told the bank that they were owed more-than-$X from that source as part of the loan application.

The main reason I said "from what I understand" in my initial post is that I'm relying upon 1. the information in the articles I read being true and 2. it being as incriminating as it sounds to a legal layperson (like myself). But assuming that the allegations themselves don't include complete lies, I don't think it's really safe to just assume this is a "nothingburger" so to speak (for his wife, anyways; see my earlier comments about the inherent irony in using something Sanders' wife did to condemn him).

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Call Me Charlie posted:

A winning message?

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

A winning message?
I feel like this is going to be remembered when people ask how the radicalized white nationalists with a charismatic leader and the support of big business overthrew democracy claiming it to be weak and useless.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

A winning message?

I for one am heartened by this bold new vision for American leadership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Ytlaya posted:

Hm, so I guess that in that case it could turn into a "he said she said" situation? Though it seems like this wouldn't apply if there were some documentation saying they pledged $X and then Sanders' wife told the bank that they were owed more-than-$X from that source as part of the loan application.

The main reason I said "from what I understand" in my initial post is that I'm relying upon 1. the information in the articles I read being true and 2. it being as incriminating as it sounds to a legal layperson (like myself). But assuming that the allegations themselves don't include complete lies, I don't think it's really safe to just assume this is a "nothingburger" so to speak (for his wife, anyways; see my earlier comments about the inherent irony in using something Sanders' wife did to condemn him).

the allegations are completely word of mouth from a ranking member of the vt gop

• Locked thread