Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Polidoro posted:

I thought Lula was being prosecuted unfairly until his son bought a football team in Uruguay. You don't do that unless you have a lot of money to launder so now I'm convinced he's dirty af.

The same judge that has found Lula guilty because of an apartment that wasn't in his name found Cunha's wife not guilty because, even though she had millions of reais in a Swiss account, had a lavish lifestyle bankrolled by Swiss accounts, Moro argued that there was no evidence that she knew the money was the result of corruption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Moro is a fuckwad news at 11

no other country on Earth has an elite that hates their country so much, let's just set everything on fire to cover our asses and hey this republican period was nice while it lasted huh

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

dead comedy forums posted:

Moro is a fuckwad news at 11

no other country on Earth has an elite that hates their country so much, let's just set everything on fire to cover our asses and hey this republican period was nice while it lasted huh

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dias posted:

I can't even bother going to protests anymore, I'm just kinda numbed to it all and it sucks. It doesn't help that our left is divided between people that wanna die embracing Lula's flaming corpse and people that wanna do the Zizek thing of "letting them gently caress up the system because it will CHANGE things" which, well, it won't and I'm the one getting hosed then.

Have you actually read his books? No offence, I just didn't think that was at all what he was saying is all. I thought it was all about how to deal with the probable certainty that the protests will fail to change the political situation, not whether you should protest as such. You should declare your dissatisfaction and hatred of the ruling class publically and if at all possible violently, but what happens on the day after they (quite frankly, inevitably) fail to change anything is what matters.

Anyway, é rir para não chorar, so go throw a few molotovs filled with donkey piss You'll feel better afterwards.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

joepinetree posted:

The same judge that has found Lula guilty because of an apartment that wasn't in his name found Cunha's wife not guilty because, even though she had millions of reais in a Swiss account, had a lavish lifestyle bankrolled by Swiss accounts, Moro argued that there was no evidence that she knew the money was the result of corruption.

I didn't say anything about that. I just said if his son owns Deportivo Maldonado, then they are laundering money and he is dirty. The others are dirty too but that's besides the point I was trying to make.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The point is that it is possible to both be dirty and be unfairly prosecuted.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Indeed, even criminals have rights.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

lollontee posted:

Have you actually read his books? No offence, I just didn't think that was at all what he was saying is all. I thought it was all about how to deal with the probable certainty that the protests will fail to change the political situation, not whether you should protest as such. You should declare your dissatisfaction and hatred of the ruling class publically and if at all possible violently, but what happens on the day after they (quite frankly, inevitably) fail to change anything is what matters.

Anyway, é rir para não chorar, so go throw a few molotovs filled with donkey piss You'll feel better afterwards.

Oh, that one has nothing to do with the protesting being worthwhile or not, it's just that a lot of acquaintances of mine started parroting his declarations during and after Trump's election about that being a good thing overall because it'd shock the system, etc, etc. I just happen to think that's BS because let's be honest, the game is rigged in Brazil and the people that could change anything profit from everything going down in flames. Me being too tired to protest is just a personal thing. Everything feels too hopeless in a political sense. However, if you wanna break some windows I'm not gonna criticize you, not at all.

By the way, it's funny that the average Good Citizen in Brazil spent a decade going "the only way to solve everything is to shoot all those guys down" and as soon as people do a little arson they go "noooo please no violence you hooligans".

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dias posted:

Oh, that one has nothing to do with the protesting being worthwhile or not, it's just that a lot of acquaintances of mine started parroting his declarations during and after Trump's election about that being a good thing overall because it'd shock the system, etc, etc. I just happen to think that's BS because let's be honest, the game is rigged in Brazil and the people that could change anything profit from everything going down in flames. Me being too tired to protest is just a personal thing. Everything feels too hopeless in a political sense. However, if you wanna break some windows I'm not gonna criticize you, not at all.

By the way, it's funny that the average Good Citizen in Brazil spent a decade going "the only way to solve everything is to shoot all those guys down" and as soon as people do a little arson they go "noooo please no violence you hooligans".

If they're using his quotes as an excuse for smoking pot and sitting on a traffic cone all day while others are out organizing the movement, they've completely and utterly missed the whole loving point of Zizek. Tell your friends to go read the Courage of Hopelessness again and stop acting like whiny bitch boys. Better yet, get in touch with the protest organizers and start harassing them with orders on where they should be all the time until they either stop being lazy or :sever:

and yes, I am loving with you. but seriously, you can do something about this

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Hell, I'm ready to stand behind whoever has the biggest chances of beating the right wing candidates next year.

I won't say I'll take anyone because that's a sure fire way to regret a statement, especially now. But I'd say it's a good and pragmatic action to build a small amount of hope at least.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
In other times I'd totally write a hugeass post making GBS threads on Zizek but honestly I'm too depressed about the prospects of president Bolsonaro to do that now

nerdz posted:

Hell, I'm ready to stand behind whoever has the biggest chances of beating the right wing candidates next year.

Same, I'm not a big fan of Marina but I guess that's the choice now. :shrug:

The problem is that a lot of people feel that and we'll get a Hillary effect for sure.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Dias posted:

that goes for a loooooooooooooooooooooong while, I think it has a lot to do with our Portuguese traditions - when the great colonial revolts of Bahia happened every aristocrat was like "THE PEOPLE IS GOING TOO FAR" even though they were the first to ramble about everything

anyway, let's send Brizola's corpse to a Chinese experimental robotics lab, we might have a chance then

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Can people in Brazil get away with publically sharing opinins like "yeah they should just gun those people down" in TYOOL 2017?

From anecdotal experience, I hear that in Mexico you'd see it a lot more often before '86, when the government DID go ahead and do it. It's been taboo to say it ever since.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
A minor tv anchor, Rachel Sherazade, basically went from nobody to darling of the right by defending lynching in so many words. Jair Bolsonaro and his ilk have also gotten no flak at all in the media for openly praising torturers and saying that the country could use a few hundred thousand less commies.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Hugely due to a lack of awareness and the fact that a lot of the "pro-dictatorship" types benefited from the economic boom of the 70s during the heyday of the military. However, if you ask some of them about some of the very high profile killings that happened back then, they usually go "well, when you put in that way..."

Also, there is a joke that Brazil is the country where ideologies come to die, so we are now in our "Late Red Scare" phase where communism is a HUGE MENACE and where is our Reagan to save us. I wish I was joking.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Freezer posted:

Can people in Brazil get away with publically sharing opinins like "yeah they should just gun those people down" in TYOOL 2017?

From anecdotal experience, I hear that in Mexico you'd see it a lot more often before '86, when the government DID go ahead and do it. It's been taboo to say it ever since.

"Those people" as in the mean blacks commies criminals or the politicians? Because people do both, but I was referring to the latter group.

Also, there is a joke that Brazil is the country where ideologies come to die, so we are now in our "Late Red Scare" phase where communism is a HUGE MENACE and where is our Reagan to save us. I wish I was joking.

We're legit going all Reaganomics, I keep hearing regular-rear end people going "b-but the job creators" and there's a significant number of conservative right-wing people using Thatcher and Reagan pictures as their avatar in social media. I know fetishing those two never REALLY went out of vogue in America/England, but this is new here.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
It's so surprising because (I'm not sure but I think) the term "neoliberalism" came from south americans making GBS threads on reagan/thatcher and now in the year of 2017 this is where Brazil is at

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The irony of worshiping Reagan and Thatcher like they do is that they would be considered radical left wing fanatics in current Brazil. For all his tax cuts, Reagan still kept US taxes progressive, and he actually raised capital gains and corporate taxes. He also never passed a national "right to work" law or freeze spending on education and healthcare for 20 years like Brazil just did. Whenever I see these folks out in the wild, I always tell them that I'd fully support embracing the same tax structure and social programs in place in the US and the UK in the 80s.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

He didn't pass a "right to work" law but he did actively dismantle and undermine unions.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

He didn't pass a "right to work" law but he did actively dismantle and undermine unions.

I am not defending Reagan. I am saying that even Reagan's policies weren't as far right as current Brazilian ones. Brazil just passed a labor reform where union dues being optional was just a minor sliver of it. It also includes things like making it so collective bargaining can give up labor protections, allowing employers to discount bathroom breaks and time chatting with coworkers from the number of hours worked, and capping awards in lawsuits by employees and making workers responsible for court costs if they don't succeed in their lawsuit.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Of course, not accusing you of doing so, just want to suggest that right to work is merely an extension of his policies, one which he would approve of.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
Hey maybe Brazil wouldn't be in such a poo poo place if your companies didn't loving bribe literally every president in South America while leftists were in power!

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

Hey maybe Brazil wouldn't be in such a poo poo place if your companies didn't loving bribe literally every president in South America while leftists were in power!

It's almost like there are deeper structural processes in play, particularly because many of these "leftist presidents" were the ones establishing and deepening bribing and other informal arrangements. Odebrecht may be terrible but sadly it's little more than a symptom of the weakness of Latin American political institutions.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Most of the bribing schemes predate Lula. From it's inception the Brazilian state has been a machine to redistribute wealth upwards. During PT's government it gave some of it back in the form of social programs that are incredibly modest when compared to any developed nation even under governments like Reagan's. And for that they were accused of being Communists.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

lmao if you think that started in 2002

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

lmao if you think that started in 2002

To be fair, there has been a huge inflation on electoral campaing costs during the 2000's that led to an increase of sistematic curruption schemes to fund political parties, instead of isolated schemes for personal enrichment that was the norm in the 80's and 90's.

Once upon a time a friend of mine was told that a certain mayor campaign was so expensive that the mayor would be forced to win reelection, or else he'd leave office poorer than when he got in.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Esto con los milicos no pasaba

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Esto con los milicos no pasaba

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Que vuelvan las botas

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
So Marco Aurelio Garcia is dead, he didn't have many fans here in Mexico because he is one of the main architects of the Brazilian policy of the last 2 decades that clashed so much with Mexico's foreign policy in Latin America. I wonder what people in Brazil think of him.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Those who know/still remember who he was probably thinks of him as an "terrorist lover".

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Negrostrike posted:

Those who know/still remember who he was probably thinks of him as an "terrorist lover".

He's also known as the guy who did the top top gesture when they found out that the TAM aerial accident was not the government's fault. Or maybe that was someone like him, I dunno.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Soo the president got away with dropping "passive corruption" accusations in Congress.... I'm at a complete lack of surprise.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

What does passive corruption mean?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Polidoro posted:

What does passive corruption mean?

It's when you receive the bribe. Active corruption is offering the bribe.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I think the more common way to say it in english is "active/passive bribery".

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Passive corruption is... worse, then, right? If thats the difference?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
So just to recap:

Lula- Former president and frontrunner for 2018 elections- sentenced to 9 years and change due to an accusation that he was hiding the ownership of an apartment. The information about that ownership comes from leniency deals people have cut, some which haven't even been finalized. The judge who sentenced him was also the one who distributed illegal wiretaps of Lula.

Dilma- former president- impeached due to budget maneuvers that have since been made legal. Zero evidence of any personal benefits.

Aecio Neves- senator and defeated candidate in 2014- implicated in many audio recordings in corruption schemes. Many foreign bank accounts. Caught on tape talking about killing people who snitch on him, caught on tape arranging for 2 million dollars in bribes. Charges against him archived in the senate for "lack of evidence," returned to senate after supreme court decision. Still not indicted of anything. Played a key role in blocking corruption charges against Temer this week.

Romero Juca- Senator, briefly minister in Temer government - caught on tape saying that the whole impeachment process was a plan to stop corruption probe, that the supreme court was in on it, and that the only hope to sweep things under the rug was to impeach Dilma. Nothing happened against him.

Temer - current president- caught on tape negotiating bribes. Just managed to quash corruption charges against him in the house. Broke with protocol of almost 20 years of nominating attorney general who got most votes from other attorneys to instead pick someone who would be more helpful in sweeping things under the rug.

Serra, Alckmin, etc. Big shot politicians from PSDB with serious accusations from Odebrecth pending. No prospects of either being charged. 2 of the 3 potential PSDB candidates for president next year, where they will undoubtedly run on a campaign of cleaning corruption.

The car wash operation, responsible for catching most of these bribes, was dismantled soon after Lula's trial was over.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yep, sounds about right, another generation as a third world country for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
It really looks like looks like parts of the military are rising against Maduro's (and Chavez's) rape of the country. It's wonderful.