Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
That Wreck-it-Ralph news sounds :psyduck: and now I can see Kingdom Hearts 3's direction clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

LeJackal posted:

Yet no swag love for Zootopia.

All the Zootopia merchandise at TRU just sort of got swallowed up by Sing merchandise and unsold Tom Nook dolls.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ExplodingSims posted:

I mean, they kinda tried, with the sequel anyways. It was supposed to be a show, but they ended up cramming them together to make a movie. I thought that actually worked pretty well, and I'd love to see some more stories about how Atlantean tech or artifacts effected the rest of the world.

And speaking of underwhelming sequels, I watched the Brave Little Toaster sequels the other night for the first time in about 15 years or so. While nowhere near as good or memorable as the original, they are actually pretty decent films. Although, much like anything, the computer stuff they try to put in there is hilariously dated.

Also, something I definitely didn't notice as a kid: Computer titties:

One of those weird cases where they clearly put in the research, they just happened to do so at a time just before the face of computing changed completely and unrecognisably. It's practically a period piece now.

At least the sequel's moral holds up: Always keep a backup!

A little disappointed they didn't have Peach meet a Disney princess or two, though I imagine dealing with Disney and Nintendo's style guides and script doctors at the same time is something no one in their right mind wants to do.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Martytoof posted:

Inside Out was so overhyped for me that it could never have lived up to how my friends described it. I don't hate it, I'm very indifferent on it. I remember Rattatouille being very good but very forgettable. I actually forgot all about Wall-E despite being in love with it a while back so hey, maybe I'll say I'm a good 60/40 Bug's Life/Wall-E here.

I maintain Inside Out sucks.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Inescapable Duck posted:

A little disappointed they didn't have Peach meet a Disney princess or two, though I imagine dealing with Disney and Nintendo's style guides and script doctors at the same time is something no one in their right mind wants to do.

I'm curious now how many video game characters are going to make an appearance considering the shift in focus towards the internet.

I also shudder at the thought of how many memes are going to worm their way into the movie...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You'd hope that they'd avoid memes at all costs, given at this point it should be obvious they have a shelf life comparable to bananas.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I, for one, look forward to the ingenious use of Zero Wing's Cats as the main villain.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh my god, my local cinema is doing almost every Ghibli movie at the end of August. Just two weeks before I go to Japan. Perfect for catching up on ones I haven't seen and showing the best ones to my boyfriend :h:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

I maintain Inside Out sucks.

You're not alone!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Inescapable Duck posted:

You'd hope that they'd avoid memes at all costs

No I wouldn't :colbert:

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Das Boo posted:

I, for one, look forward to the ingenious use of Zero Wing's Cats as the main villain.

One article had a quote from Ralph about "becoming a virus," so either we're dealing with an Evil Ralph or Ralph himself is going to Wreck It for real.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

You're not alone!

Really? Thank god

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

:3:

I didn't buy this one for myself, someone in the Fabgoons thread did. I wouldn't be this... on the nose :sweatdrop:

I was thinking of buying you one to replace that dumb star this weekend when I had time away from work, but...beat to the punch! Whats the Fabgoons thread, though? Link me?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Macaluso posted:

I loving love Treasure Planet and I'm always sad when I remember how badly it did.

Especially for all the animators that worked on Silver because THAT poo poo is loving magical
It would have probably done better had it not come out at the same time as Harry Potter

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Watched Speed Racer for the first time, and holy hell it's the most cartoonish live-action movie I've seen and waaaay better than it had any right to be.

On another note: Treasure Planet would probably be one of my favorite post Renaissance and pre-Frozen movies

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Its only crime is having this song permanently welded into my brain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex9AWegauJM
Though the final meeting between Hawkins and Silver is sooo good

Man its being that weird 90s kid who missed out the early 90s movies and can only remember cartoon movies from the late 90s and early 2000s

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

LeJackal posted:

I was thinking of buying you one to replace that dumb star this weekend when I had time away from work, but...beat to the punch! Whats the Fabgoons thread, though? Link me?

Sure! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3731172

It's the major LGBTQ thread on this dead gay comedy forum

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

crossposting from the Kingdom hearts thread but games have finally reached real time Toy story graphics

it's kind of surreal

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Technically we've been at that point since the late PS3, but while the models are there the animation is still lacking. If anything, the increased detail of the models makes fluid, expressive animation even harder.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hedrigall posted:

Sure! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3731172

It's the major LGBTQ thread on this dead gay comedy forum

Oh man, I departed that thread long ago when it became a repeating vortex of drama and self-hate. Has it matured?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The_Doctor posted:

Oh man, I departed that thread long ago when it became a repeating vortex of drama and self-hate. Has it matured?

Not particularly :S

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Now people are buying each other gay cat sex avatars, which may or may not be a lateral move

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Seeing Buzz and Woody speak Japanese was pretty surreal.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://twitter.com/hey_rogby/status/886435654091104256

Japanese Woody is such a serious leader type it's so weird

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Woody's Roundup was actually just an American remake of a Japanese shadow puppet show. :thunk:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I learned some things about posters that I never knew.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Macaluso posted:

I love how loving bonkers this sounds

On a different note:

https://twitter.com/MMagazineComics/status/885354199474556928

:psyboom:

What about the yellow paint? :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hedrigall posted:

Not particularly :S

It took 2 days from reentering the thread for it to get creepy. :yikes:

Done.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The_Doctor posted:

It took 2 days from reentering the thread for it to get creepy. :yikes:

Done.

Yeah the latest drama in there? :stonk:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Grouchy Smurf posted:

Christmas isn't a time for hating. That's what all the other days are for.

You know a direct-to-video spin-off/short that's astoundingly better than the movie it's bundled with? The Smurfs: A Christmas Carol.

Now, hear me out: We all know that The Smurfs is a lovely movie based on a lovely cartoon. That's just common sense. But the hook for A Christmas Carol is that it's both a burlesque of the novel as well as a subversion of the apparent innocence of the Smurfs.

Like, in brief, A Christmas Carol is changed in this short from the story of a miser whose altruism and humanity are renewed by a divine intervention, into a story about a disruptive worker/child who's drugged by his manager/father so that he'll fall in line. What's more, the way this drug-fueled dream Grouchy has works out is that, simply by deciding that he's not gonna help decorate the Christmas tree just once in his entire life, he causes a chain-reaction which leads to the death of the entire Smurf village.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
PIXAR WEEK 4

For the Birds: Twitter bullying

Main feature - Monsters, Inc.: Humanity is the Real Monster

- First time I watched this was on a bootleg VHS my Dad bought in Thailand. Film piracy was such a novel concept to us back then, my entire family were amazed that someone had filmed it in a cinema and that you could see silhouettes pass in front of the screen sometimes. It also had the first 5-10 minutes missing IIRC.

- I've seen it on DVD since then but this is the first time in HD. It looks pretty drat good for back then! I bet Sully's fur was a big talking point for the state of animation technology at the time.

- The ending makes me fuckin' cry every time. Everyone needs a big fuzzy monster friend in their life :qq:

- I love the duet song over the end credits :3: I can't remember ever hearing this before! But I've seen the movie like 4 times!

- I often overlook this one when thinking of my favourite Pixar films, but it really is up there. What a classic, fantastic comedy with tons of heart. Makes it even more of a pity that Monsters U was such a piece of poo poo prequel.

Mike's New Car: Ooh, a noticeable improvement in the animation quality. This short doesn't really add much to the world of the film though. It's nice to get more character moments. I really hope one day we get a real sequel to MI.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 20, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Hedrigall posted:

Yeah the latest drama in there? :stonk:

Not something that should be in this thread

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So apparently the Netflix Castlevania series is all hand-drawn animation and it looks so drat good.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hedrigall posted:

- I love the duet song over the end credits :3: I can't remember ever hearing this before! But I've seen the movie like 4 times!

Could be that you watched versions that had outtakes with the end credits instead.

Hedrigall posted:

- I often overlook this one when thinking of my favourite Pixar films, but it really is up there. What a classic, fantastic comedy with tons of heart. Makes it even more of a pity that Monsters U was such a piece of poo poo prequel.

Oi oi oi why you gotta talk poo poo about MU? What did that movie ever do to you?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Robindaybird posted:

So apparently the Netflix Castlevania series is all hand-drawn animation and it looks so drat good.

We'll see if they can maintain that level of quality for more than four episodes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phylodox posted:

We'll see if they can maintain that level of quality for more than four episodes.

said Dracula, before tossing aside his fluted wine glass, now emptied of blood, and breaking out in maddened laughter.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Phylodox posted:

It's had a lot of time in the oven, Frederator's a good studio, and while CV looks nice it's not exactly One Punch Man or Fate/zero. They'll be fine.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I found the animation a bit stiff in some places (one bit that comes to mind is a guy hitting someone with a chair), but I was overall pretty impressed with how sincere the treatment is. I grew up watching my older sister play Castlevania since Simon's Quest and it's one of those things I've got mired in nostalgia and a sibling relationship, so I've got a real soft spot for the series. It seems like they really took care with this, though! They really made the Vampire Killer a fierce as gently caress weapon and I wish they played more of the intro as that fluid, sketchy, amorphous animation is a goddamn dream.
Being a bit of a twat here, but I've got a hang-up on how dark Alucard's hair is. He's always been ash blonde verging on white and it's throwing me.

I thiiink I spoilered the only thing kinda worth spoilering? Vampire Killer's a given imo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The whip action was loving brutal in CV. I was simultaneously cringing and laughing my rear end off when he took that one priest's finger off.

"WHAT loving FINGER!?" :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I reeeeeaaally loved the animation in the whip fights. I don't know why whips are usually made to be such lame-rear end weapons, but this is the loving Vampire Killer and it fucks everything up.