Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Genghis Cohen posted:

So I play eldar; I own mostly craft world and corsair models, with a few dark eldar and harlequins. I think the Ynarri rules are dumb as gently caress. I don't know if they're exactly too good. They're almost certainly better than battle focus, rising crescendo is key for harlequin units but strength from death has a similar effect by allowing you to get more hits in (as someone already stated).

What gets me is just how unfun they would be for my opponents and how deeply they poo poo on the idea of game balance. How deeply irritating it must be to have a (potentially devastating) backlash every time you kill an opposing unit? And who thought that situational bonuses and special rules are the same thing as getting extra goes at shooting/fighting!?

Basically it pissed me off when it came out and I'm amamzed they kept it in what was supposed to be a 'fresh start' edition. I'd never inflict that poo poo on my friends.

Hot take: it's really not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hixson posted:

Hi I'm the poster that is always outraged about something.

Wait I thought that was me...

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Started work on my gravis captain to Kantor conversion:

I feel like the pose works better with a banner than a sword honestly, looks like he's rallying troops as is. Also replaced the feeble boltgun on top of the power fist with an actual storm bolter to read properly as Dorn's Arrow.

I shaved off the hood and put the iron halo on the power pack but still not sure if I want to leave the gorget alone or trim it as well. Thoughts?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

Hot take: it's really not that bad.

Eh, maybe I'm jumping to conclusions then. I would find it really frustrating to be shot or preemptively charged in my own turn though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

xtothez posted:

It was changed in line with the main GW FAQ. With the previous wording people were arguing that each unique pair of talons gave +1 attack, meaning a Scythed Hierodule would have had +2 and Trygons +3. Now it's capped at +1.

Yeah I know, and I still think the wording is super ambiguous. You could easily add a simple clause, or hell, even the word "total" would make it extremely clear.

The previous wording and the current wording are both equally ambiguous to me. If you're going to improve it, actually change it and make it definitively clear so nobody could ever argue it.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

I was actually crying when it got to the guardian of uncomfortable truths so well done guy who wrote that and good job reading it sex cannon.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Genghis Cohen posted:

Eh, maybe I'm jumping to conclusions then. I would find it really frustrating to be shot or preemptively charged in my own turn though.

Do you hate overwatch (especially Tau) with an equal passion? I agree that bringing something that is way stronger than your friends list is uncool and I try to avoid it when I can, this was literally my first real 8th edition game with my Ynnari and had heard orks were actually strong so I wasn't sure how good this would be. It is much much stronger than battle focus, but I don't know if it's unbalanceable though. Like I said I think it would be fine if each unit could only do it once per game or you could only use each option (move, shoot, charge) once per game round instead. I think it is an interesting mechanic that matches the fluff pretty well, its just too strong and needs toning down. It has actually leads my opponents to have to think a little more critically about what to kill when as they know if they kill something it will set off a move or shoot or what not, and really rewards me for planning my moves and shoots well.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I think I would rather have an even more broken game (I don't think 8th is ever close to being balanced) that has more interesting rules and variation.

These things are not dependent on each other.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Are there any major differences between the shadow War Armaggedon rulebook from the boxed game and the one sold separatwly (besides incuding more factions)?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I'm gonna have a 750 point game against my Tyranid friend tonight, he's gonna bring a mass of warriors and a few carnifexes, I'm gonna bring two dark apostles, eighty cultists with autoguns, and a predator tank with a twin las-cannon and two extra las-cannons

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

radlum posted:

Are there any major differences between the shadow War Armaggedon rulebook from the boxed game and the one sold separatwly (besides incuding more factions)?
It's just the additional factions which are (were?) available as a free download. If you already have the first version, you should be fine unless you want everything collected in one book. The rules are the same.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Cultist question: do I want to field 2x 40-boy squads, 4x 20-boy squads, or 8x 10-boy squads

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I love Cultist blobs and used to field at least 90 a game back in 7th. But without fearless, and the lack of T4 from MoN, you're going to be losing a lot to Morale even with Dark Apostle's leadership. Large blobs have issues with everyone piling in too.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
8x10, by the powers of eight and all that.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
As Admech, is it just better to commit to a full shooting army (heavy on dunecrawlers and robots) rather than something a little more balanced or am I going to heavily regret not having any real CC options? Just trying to get a feel for how 8th edition is trending so far.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Do you hate overwatch (especially Tau) with an equal passion? I agree that bringing something that is way stronger than your friends list is uncool and I try to avoid it when I can, this was literally my first real 8th edition game with my Ynnari and had heard orks were actually strong so I wasn't sure how good this would be. It is much much stronger than battle focus, but I don't know if it's unbalanceable though. Like I said I think it would be fine if each unit could only do it once per game or you could only use each option (move, shoot, charge) once per game round instead. I think it is an interesting mechanic that matches the fluff pretty well, its just too strong and needs toning down. It has actually leads my opponents to have to think a little more critically about what to kill when as they know if they kill something it will set off a move or shoot or what not, and really rewards me for planning my moves and shoots well.

Sorry, I don't mean to have a go at you or say it's unsporting for you (or anyone else) to use the Ynarri rules. But I don't think the overwatch comparison holds up. Every army in the game can overwatch, and hitting on 6s, except with flamers, is a very far cry from an eldar unit pouring on the fire, potentially with 3+ to hit re-rolling 1s. Warhammer has always been an IGOUGO system and the basis of most strategies are that you have freedom to move and degrade the enemy during your turn; you need to be in position to withstand the counter at the end of the turn. The potential in a Ynarri army for spoiling moves, getting out of range/LoS, charging units which badly need to be the chargers, or getting a first volley into fragile units which pay a premium to deepstrike/disembark into position, is way too troublesome IMO. While the concept is quite fitting for the background, it also inevitably encourages sacrificial tactics on the part of the Eldar player which are less background-appropriate.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Genghis Cohen posted:

I think the Ynarri rules are dumb as gently caress.

At least double heavy wraith cannon Wraithknights can't Soulburst any more

that was fun :shepicide:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Funktastic posted:

As Admech, is it just better to commit to a full shooting army (heavy on dunecrawlers and robots) rather than something a little more balanced or am I going to heavily regret not having any real CC options? Just trying to get a feel for how 8th edition is trending so far.

i've yet to play a game of 8th without at least one first turn charge. if you don't have any dedicated CC i think you should at least include some Skitarii Vanguard for screening your best shooting platforms

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

These things are not dependent on each other.

I theory this is true. I would argue that the major driver of 8th being more balanced than 7th is that there is less variety and thus less opportunities for imbalanced. In a perfect world the company that makes the best models, has the best fiction, and writes the most amazingly balanced rules would be one in the same. In this world we have GW and I think they will make this game radically imbalanced again, but I also prefer this option to them keeping the game overly bland and having the different armies play very similar

Genghis Cohen posted:

Sorry, I don't mean to have a go at you or say it's unsporting for you (or anyone else) to use the Ynarri rules. But I don't think the overwatch comparison holds up. Every army in the game can overwatch, and hitting on 6s, except with flamers, is a very far cry from an eldar unit pouring on the fire, potentially with 3+ to hit re-rolling 1s. Warhammer has always been an IGOUGO system and the basis of most strategies are that you have freedom to move and degrade the enemy during your turn; you need to be in position to withstand the counter at the end of the turn. The potential in a Ynarri army for spoiling moves, getting out of range/LoS, charging units which badly need to be the chargers, or getting a first volley into fragile units which pay a premium to deepstrike/disembark into position, is way too troublesome IMO. While the concept is quite fitting for the background, it also inevitably encourages sacrificial tactics on the part of the Eldar player which are less background-appropriate.

I wasn't trying to say soul burst and overwatch were the same thing, you had just said you found it "really frustrating to be shot or preemptively charged in my own turn" which is what overwatch is. Sounds like you have an issue with one army breaking the core assumptions about the game while others can't which is a solid opinion to have, I don't share that opinion and don't mind it if armies play vastly different and I have to play radically different against different opponents. You might argue that the there is now "good way" to play against an army that can interrupt your turn, but once again I think we would just have a difference of opinions there. To me it comes down to balance, I would just like GW to tweak it enough so I can self balance with my friends and play my death clown army without feeling like a jerk and I think between point increases and a few limitations it can easily be done. I agree the idea of sacrificing eldar units seems very unfluffy to me, and I choose to not play that way with my Ynnari but see it as a weakness to the overall system, but 40k is full of that kind of stuff and I don't see an easy fix to it either.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

zeal posted:

i've yet to play a game of 8th without at least one first turn charge. if you don't have any dedicated CC i think you should at least include some Skitarii Vanguard for screening your best shooting platforms

My only troops are a squad of rangers with two arquebuses and a vanguard squad with an arc rifle and plasma caliver, both 5 man. Vanguard is definitely going to be doing some work shooting mid to close range. At least if anything, there's a buffer between my 4 robots and 3 dunecrawlers?

On the dedicated CC side I like the idea of having two dragoons with taser lances to tie up enemy CC units that might come deep striking, along with a 5 man squad of power sword infiltrators in the back lines tearing up ranged infantry. Or forgetting all that and instead just giving fists to two of my robots and marching them up to let them go wild.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I don't care if a game is fun as long as my space barbies have a bunch of different outfits.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Funktastic posted:

I went heavy on the flamer equipped Kataphrons for my army. Roll 2D6 for overwatch to see how many hits the flamers get and pick the highest.

The only close combat stuff I have is my Tech-Priest, Cawl and Sicarian Infiltrators.

The last time I used infiltrators I was so disheartened in their change in performance from 7th to 8th I shelved them, and don't have any plans to pull them back out any time soon.

I haven't used Kastelans yet personally, but I know their close combat variants are straight up Murder machines.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

If a predator has a twin las-cannon and two extra las-cannons can it fire all three guns in the same turn? Like is there a penalty or something

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

goose willis posted:

If a predator has a twin las-cannon and two extra las-cannons can it fire all three guns in the same turn? Like is there a penalty or something

There's a penalty for firing Heavy weapons if you move, but otherwise all models can fire all non-pistol and non-grenade weapons every turn at no penalty.

With the lack of penetrating hits and no way to destroy weapons, what would even be the point of putting multiple guns on a tank if you couldn't fire them? :psyduck:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goose willis posted:

I'm gonna have a 750 point game against my Tyranid friend tonight, he's gonna bring a mass of warriors and a few carnifexes, I'm gonna bring two dark apostles, eighty cultists with autoguns, and a predator tank with a twin las-cannon and two extra las-cannons

Wow, chaos out-hording Tyranids. What a time to be alive.

Strobe posted:

I don't care if a game is fun as long as my space barbies have a bunch of different outfits.

That's basically how I define fun in minigaming terms

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

goose willis posted:

Yes, it can fire all three. No, there's no penalty. There's only a -1 to hit penalty if the Predator moves (in which case all 3 rolls would be -1 to hit). It can also fire at up to 3 different targets if you'd like.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Zuul the Cat posted:

I went heavy on the flamer equipped Kataphrons for my army. Roll 2D6 for overwatch to see how many hits the flamers get and pick the highest.

The only close combat stuff I have is my Tech-Priest, Cawl and Sicarian Infiltrators.

The last time I used infiltrators I was so disheartened in their change in performance from 7th to 8th I shelved them, and don't have any plans to pull them back out any time soon.

I haven't used Kastelans yet personally, but I know their close combat variants are straight up Murder machines.

S10 AP4 D3 fists that can swing a total of 12 times on a 2 robot squad with the conquerer protocol is no joke, at least on paper. Thing is, going for 3 Heavy Phosphor Blasters for 9 shots per robot is pretty insane too, so at least it sounds like I'll be fine either way.

Only thing I'm worried about is someone trying to drop some CC units on me with a Stormraven or someone deep striking terminators in my backline but I guess trying to kite them and survive is manageable.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Funktastic posted:

S10 AP4 D3 fists that can swing a total of 12 times on a 2 robot squad with the conquerer protocol is no joke, at least on paper. Thing is, going for 3 Heavy Phosphor Blasters for 9 shots per robot is pretty insane too, so at least it sounds like I'll be fine either way.

Only thing I'm worried about is someone trying to drop some CC units on me with a Stormraven or someone deep striking terminators in my backline but I guess trying to kite them and survive is manageable.

Yeah, but you're not lacking in firepower. That's one spot the AdMech has covered in excess. Especially if you run the close combat kastelans, then you can just keep the phosphor blasters on Kataphrons if you wanted instead of the flamers. (When you eventually get some.)

Speaking of new units, I picked myself up a 2nd Tech Priest Dominus. I think running 2 of them with 3 Onager Dunecrawlers is a better idea than just fielding 1 HQ.

Gonna build this one with a Tall Hat.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Mr. Funktastic posted:

My only troops are a squad of rangers with two arquebuses and a vanguard squad with an arc rifle and plasma caliver, both 5 man. Vanguard is definitely going to be doing some work shooting mid to close range. At least if anything, there's a buffer between my 4 robots and 3 dunecrawlers?

On the dedicated CC side I like the idea of having two dragoons with taser lances to tie up enemy CC units that might come deep striking, along with a 5 man squad of power sword infiltrators in the back lines tearing up ranged infantry. Or forgetting all that and instead just giving fists to two of my robots and marching them up to let them go wild.

Havent seen anyone field Dragoons yet but that was more due to a cost-per-model thing; The lack of dedicated transpo certainly hurts, but there's nothing stopping you from throwing in a supporting patrol detachment of space marines or IG bullgryn or something, which Ive seen done to great effect.

Kastelans loving rule though and you should look into getting some and magnetizing them. At some point I want to convert some FW domitars into some when Im not space-poor.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Will post more later but GODDAMN is reanimation protocols some bullshit.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
All this talk of Kastelans finally made me cave and buy a box. Snagged if off eBay for $58.

I'll have to magnetize these dudes.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Zuul the Cat posted:

Yeah, but you're not lacking in firepower. That's one spot the AdMech has covered in excess. Especially if you run the close combat kastelans, then you can just keep the phosphor blasters on Kataphrons if you wanted instead of the flamers. (When you eventually get some.)

Speaking of new units, I picked myself up a 2nd Tech Priest Dominus. I think running 2 of them with 3 Onager Dunecrawlers is a better idea than just fielding 1 HQ.

True, I'll probably be fine dumping all my firepower on whoever decides to get close and let the Omnissiah sort them out. Letting fist Kastelans walk up to the enemy army and let them do their thing while everyone else fires is tempting though, something to think about. Never really considered Kataphrons though, they seem a little too expensive for what they're worth.

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Havent seen anyone field Dragoons yet but that was more due to a cost-per-model thing; The lack of dedicated transpo certainly hurts, but there's nothing stopping you from throwing in a supporting patrol detachment of space marines or IG bullgryn or something, which Ive seen done to great effect.

Kastelans loving rule though and you should look into getting some and magnetizing them. At some point I want to convert some FW domitars into some when Im not space-poor.

True, hopefully the new Admech codex gives them some new toys to play with or at least a FW transport? Definitely gonna magnetize the Kastelans though, Dunecrawlers as well.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

bonds0097 posted:

Started work on my gravis captain to Kantor conversion:

I feel like the pose works better with a banner than a sword honestly, looks like he's rallying troops as is. Also replaced the feeble boltgun on top of the power fist with an actual storm bolter to read properly as Dorn's Arrow.

I shaved off the hood and put the iron halo on the power pack but still not sure if I want to leave the gorget alone or trim it as well. Thoughts?

Cut the pipe down just a little bit, it's too tall. Otherwise this owns.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Yeeesssssssssss.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
Never not tall hat.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I built my first one with the hood, and I regret it.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Zuul the Cat posted:

My khorne-chaos playing opponent is not someone who really analyses the rules before making decisions, and as it happens we had only really seen our admech opponent use the shooting versions before. He charged both heldrakes into the Kastelans on turn 1 . . . the robots kicked the daemon engines' teeth in. They then proceeded to hold their own against the daemon prince.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Never not tall hat.

:chaosdwarf:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Pendent posted:

Will post more later but GODDAMN is reanimation protocols some bullshit.

Same on both counts. I just finished a match against Necrons and watching a Destroyer squad come back was some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

panascope posted:

Cut the pipe down just a little bit, it's too tall. Otherwise this owns.

Agreed, I shortened it considerably after taking this pic to get a more reasonable height for it. Once I wrap up my intercessors (hopefully Monday) I will get this guy and my new reivers done.

The reivers are cool sculpts and I am super excited for the full kit. A bit bummed they're elites, was hoping they'd offer a second primaris troop option.