Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I like to assume it was just that nobody bothered to open their modded consoles and look at the quality of work until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

That's what I wanna know. He did my R Duo like three years ago and the picture looks wonderful so I don't know if the thing is just gonna crap out someday, if the picture sucks and I don't notice it, or if it's just epoxied to hell and back being the only difference.

As an outsider who has never been in the market for his stuff, this is just normal internet operating procedure. He's a douche because his prices were too high for his level of skill. That's pretty extreme for a service that he was one of the few people doing. Maybe the vitriol is deserved, I just haven't seen that evidence. He might be guilty of making a poor product at some point, but it wasn't out of malice. He genuinely thought he was providing a good product as far as he knew, and the post showing he's purposely making efforts to improve his work seems to back that up.

I still think SMB3 is better than SMW.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

As an outsider who has never been in the market for his stuff, this is just normal internet operating procedure. He's a douche because his prices were too high for his level of skill. That's pretty extreme for a service that he was one of the few people doing. Maybe the vitriol is deserved, I just haven't seen that evidence. He might be guilty of making a poor product at some point, but it wasn't out of malice. He genuinely thought he was providing a good product as far as he knew, and the post showing he's purposely making efforts to improve his work seems to back that up.

I still think SMB3 is better than SMW.

He doesn't seem to charge that much more than a Duo, arguably no upcharge at all, so I don't even buy the argument that the price is too high. Unless these things break 2 months later I just find it an odd turnaround that someone gets universally mentioned for half a decade and then suddenly he's worse than that Drakkon/whatever guy who had hot glue leaking out of the cartridge slot.

And yes, SMB3 is better than SMW.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I think the vitriol came because other modders kept getting requests to fix the mods that he made.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

al-azad posted:

He doesn't seem to charge that much more than a Duo, arguably no upcharge at all, so I don't even buy the argument that the price is too high.

At least on eBay his units were always the cheapest (for the seconds they lasted) even against straight unmodded units. I think avenues for paying less for an unmodded unit were pretty limited, you would have needed to be extremely familiar with Rakuten, and I think it was probably pretty difficult to get one shipped outside of Japan without significant savings.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's pretty cool he he took constructive criticism instead of getting defensive. I don't blame him for wanting to make sure nothing moved when being shipped across the planet. I modded a Genesis here for someone and going two states over the s video mod broke. Granted I didn't charge for doing the mod in the first place and simply twisting the s video port could have done that but the thing did come undone.

I just wanna know if my thing is going to break in the future. I can't tell what mod he did because the system uses not only torx, but the torx with a drat hole in the middle so I can't even check it out without buying hardware.

Though a lot of people said the region switch mod he did breaks the Everdrive compatibility and I have both and it works for me so I don't know what to think.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
A lot of this stuff comes down to style anyway. The only things that I would insist upon, if I were buying something pre-modded, would be that it can be worked on again in the future. Anything that's epoxy'd or hot-glued to death becomes hard or impossible to repair or upgrade. Other than that pragmatic bit of forward-thinking, there's no functional difference between using kapton tape or a small dot of hotglue. Double sided tape or bubblewrap. One just looks more "professional" than the other.

It's like the CSync and 5v flashcart issues that have come up recently. It's a lot of arguing about stuff because nerds love to nitpick and argue about stuff. The only part that really annoys me is how immature and petty it can get sometimes. Do we really need to keep saying "Douchendance"? Are the personal attacks necessary?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

xamphear posted:

Are the personal attacks necessary?

It's the internet, so apparently yes (even though he's apparently always been the opposite of "douchey").

The last thing I'll say about him and it's not about him but where he lives, is that anyone doing a trip to Japan, particularly Hokkaido, should do at least a day trip to Otaru, it's a very neat little city that my now-wife and I frequently day-tripped to since it was only an hour and 1000 yen (each way) away. It's often called the Venice of Japan, due to having a canal, and is quite picturesque during all seasons (really nice in winter) and is a frequent romantic getaway. It's mainly known for its glassware and manufacturing of music boxes, both of which are amply available at dozens of shops, as well as having a steam clock, and at least when I was last there 10 years ago, at least one restaurant offered a hella-dangerous "all you can drink" on beer (although there was a time limit, it was either an hour or 90 minutes I don't remember).

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

senrath posted:

I think the vitriol came because other modders kept getting requests to fix the mods that he made.

I know this was super common with drakon, and I know it HAS happened with douijin, so I wonder if drakon's issues were also projected onto douijin?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

al-azad posted:

And yes, SMB3 is better than SMW.

Seems a common and proper opinion. The first stage of SMB3 has little bushes dancing with the music. The first island of Super World is static by comparison. Super Mario World is a perfectly good game, but doesn't have the invention and personality of SMB3.

It didn't have the same impact, either. Super Mario Bros. 3 defined the NES heyday, Super Mario World just built on that. I had lots of fun with it, but I didn't buy a Super NES for Super Mario World. I bought a Super NES for Final Fantasy II, Actraiser, A Link to the Past, and the assurance that it'd get Street Fighter II pretty quick.

https://youtu.be/EQ3clCcwHFc

I always liked this early Super NES commercial. The escalating tone captures the way Mario World was just a little bigger and more technically impressive than the NES outings. And that was the point: you knew you were getting a solid Mario game when your parents finally relented and let you get this new Nintendo even though they'll just make ANOTHER new one in a few years, for heaven's sake I can't wait until you outgrow these video games.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
SMW is my favorite Mario. 3, while full of character, is janky to play in comparison.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SMW is so sooo good from a control aspect it's hard to beat. Smw3 is a close second though, it's basically SMW-lite.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm probably going to be banned for this but Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) is my favorite Mario game.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Let me defend myself with Mario 2 by the way. The reason is because the game has so much odd, rule-breaking stuff in it. The only time you encounter a Birdo the entire game is at the end of a level? Oh OK, well here's Birdo as soon as you come up the ladder at the start of this stage now. Oh and you aren't supposed to kill him. Those faces that you had to walk into to complete the level the whole game? Now you have to battle one. Oh and here's a Birdo with a fuckin key stuck in his belly. That type of stuff still geeks me out to this day.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I posted about this in some imp zone thread but basically the contiguous nature of the SMW world, where you can go back and forth and take shortcuts through Star Road and stuff, made a really big impression on me as a kid, whereas SMB3 was just eight separate maps you go through in sequence. It seems like a small thing but being able to walk through Bowser's lair by finding a secret in Donut Land blew my mind when I was little. SMW is just chock full of all sorts of cool secret poo poo. I also like cape Mario better than raccoon Mario. Not to mention better graphics, sound, etc, but I will say SMW does lack some of the level variety of SMB3. Overall, SMW wins out for me easy, though I could probably go the rest of my life without playing either of them again lol.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Let me defend myself with Mario 2 by the way. The reason is because the game has so much odd, rule-breaking stuff in it. The only time you encounter a Birdo the entire game is at the end of a level? Oh OK, well here's Birdo as soon as you come up the ladder at the start of this stage now. Oh and you aren't supposed to kill him. Those faces that you had to walk into to complete the level the whole game? Now you have to battle one. Oh and here's a Birdo with a fuckin key stuck in his belly. That type of stuff still geeks me out to this day.

It's weird, but as a kid this is one of the main reasons I didn't like the US SMB2. I loved SMB1, and expected more of the same.

By extension you must also love the original super Mario for gameboy then, correct? It's filled with goofy one-off stuff that hasn't appeared in a Mario game since.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm probably going to be banned for this but Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) is my favorite Mario game.

I love it more than any of the other NES games, too. It's definitely one of those games where they picked out their mechanics and then went nuts coming up with ways to use those mechanics in different ways.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

SMW is my favorite Mario. 3, while full of character, is janky to play in comparison.

You and me buddy, voices of sanity in an ocean of crazy people.

This isn't to discount how enormous SMB3 was at launch - and god knows I spent several times the game's retail price in renting it over and over and over, but holy poo poo SMW remains one of my favorite platformers to this day. It has aged very well, and SMB3 has too imo, but SMW just edges it out to me.

Both games are very good, but my heart belongs to SMW.

SMB2 definitely holds a special place in my heart, and I do replay it occasionally. Like you followed up with, it's just so weird. I like the variety of play with the different characters, too. It's definitely in my top NES games.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I just think the color palette they went with for SMB2 is probably the most appealing of the three, really.

Helps that I had SMB and SMB2 as a kid, and my childhood friends had SMW, but I didn't get around to SMB3 until, like, my high school years. (Not sure why, since they usually had All-Stars as well; I guess I just tended to opt for Lost Levels when breaking that out, for some reason.)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SMB2 USA isn't a Mario game .

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's like saying that weird rear end US Godzilla movie where they shot a dude in an apartment yelling out his window and spliced him sporadically into the film to make him the new main character, is your favorite Godzilla movie.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

In Training posted:

Neither is Super Mario Bros 3. In Japan SMB3 was known as Doki Doki Paniku.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

it's weird to argue that Mario 2 isn't a Mario game when it was the Mario launch title for the GBA

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kelp Plankton posted:

it's weird to argue that Mario 2 isn't a Mario game when it was the Mario launch title for the GBA

Also it started out as a Mario game, then became Doki Doki Panic, then became a Mario game.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's weird, but as a kid this is one of the main reasons I didn't like the US SMB2. I loved SMB1, and expected more of the same.

By extension you must also love the original super Mario for gameboy then, correct? It's filled with goofy one-off stuff that hasn't appeared in a Mario game since.

I hated Mario Land the second I died from a turtle's shell exploding. Though I did grow to like it later on in life (and holy cow that soundtrack).

It wasn't so much that SMB2 was different than other Mario games. It was that it was different in different parts of the same game! It still geeks me out when I come across a Birdo late in the game and there's no boss music and he's just kinda chillin like he's a regular character. I'm sure it sounds stupid but I love stuff like that so much.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also it started out as a Mario game, then became Doki Doki Panic, then became a Mario game.

I hated Mario Land the second I died from a turtle's shell exploding. Though I did grow to like it later on in life (and holy cow that soundtrack).

It wasn't so much that SMB2 was different than other Mario games. It was that it was different in different parts of the same game! It still geeks me out when I come across a Birdo late in the game and there's no boss music and he's just kinda chillin like he's a regular character. I'm sure it sounds stupid but I love stuff like that so much.

I understand that, it's a classic gaming moment when bosses eventually become routine encounters because of how powerful you are. JRPGs are especially good for this because the same boss can pop up a few hours later and you wipe it out in a turn. Badass!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

In Training posted:

It's reasonable to consider it a spin off at this point, I think. It's a quality, Nintendo-made game with Mario characters in it. However, it is definitely not the sequel to SMB.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mycophobia posted:

I posted about this in some imp zone thread but basically the contiguous nature of the SMW world, where you can go back and forth and take shortcuts through Star Road and stuff, made a really big impression on me as a kid, whereas SMB3 was just eight separate maps you go through in sequence. It seems like a small thing but being able to walk through Bowser's lair by finding a secret in Donut Land blew my mind when I was little. SMW is just chock full of all sorts of cool secret poo poo. I also like cape Mario better than raccoon Mario. Not to mention better graphics, sound, etc, but I will say SMW does lack some of the level variety of SMB3. Overall, SMW wins out for me easy, though I could probably go the rest of my life without playing either of them again lol.

Another part of this that I love is the idea of alternate exits, where the level designs branch into the world map. Replaying it now it's a little less exciting of course but trying to figure out all the possible exits and paths was so fascinating when I first played the game

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The first Mario Land set a standard for the Game Boy: make a really bad version of a game on the console. I'll give them credit that it controls fine and the music is good, but the levels are terrible. the ball power up is poorly utilized, and why are all the bosses in shooters? I don't know if the fact that it is both absurdly easy and short is a good or a bad thing in this case.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It's weird to say that SMB2us isn't a Mario game, when so many of the iconic Mario enemies originate from it.

It really doesn't get enough credit for how important to the franchise it is.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

SMW is so sooo good from a control aspect it's hard to beat. Smw3 is a close second though, it's basically SMW-lite.

Where were you guys when this thread was making GBS threads all over SMW awhile ago

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Random Stranger posted:

The first Mario Land set a standard for the Game Boy: make a really bad version of a game on the console.
At least it's a standard that Nintendo themselves didn't really adhere to going forward, considering Link's Awakening (and its color remake) could genuinely be argued to be the best 2D Zelda (even if ALttP offers stiff competition) and Metroid 2 is a fair bit more fun to control than NES Metroid (YMMV on the level design though).

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Yeah. Try to hit a 2-high block with your tail using a jump.

World was incredible when it came out. The world map and secrets and everything, more enemy variety (or at least it felt like more, and i think it was), better koopa kids, cape was cool. 3 is great but just more NESsy and bland.

Mario Land is one of the best Mario games. It's the perfect length, it's got shooter stages, jumps are hard and precise but the level design is forgiving and it rewards experience. I also like that it's offbrand Gunpei Yokoi Mario with more charming characters. Ricochet balls were more fun than regular fireballs.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 15, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Where were you guys when this thread was making GBS threads all over SMW awhile ago

I was here, rolling my eyes.

It's ok to debate that SMW is or isn't the greatest platformer ever. It's outright wrong to say it's a bad game in any sense of the term.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sounds like you just like Birdo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Random Stranger posted:

I love it more than any of the other NES games, too. It's definitely one of those games where they picked out their mechanics and then went nuts coming up with ways to use those mechanics in different ways.

Well I mean, that literally is what it was. It started as a technology demo for adding vertical scrolling to Mario levels after all, and continued pickign up things like that before getting the TV license for the Japanese release.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I mentioned last page, but anyone here willing to fit my GBA with the backlight mod with a new case? After the bad experience I had with it, I just rather get a goon who knows how to get it assembled right. If I did this I would just sent the motherboard for the GBA out, since the old screws probably will strip if I try putting them back in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

In Training posted:

That means Super Mario Sunshine isn't a Mario game either :colbert:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

...?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

In Japan it was called Doki Doki Panic No Sunshinu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay, now I'm considering the possibility of Super Mario USA not being a Super Mario game.

• Locked thread