Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I am tempted to add another layer about straight people gay-marrying each other all over the place to annoy that homophobic woman when they find out she works at a registry office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

kazil posted:

Being ~*introverted*~ is fun and quirky!

I like how the author makes sure to point out that their friend is specifically uncomfortable talking to feeeemales and """dudebros""". Just so you know their friend is a lovely human being. They're one step away from hitting a new PB because they were scared of spooky gang bangers and """thugs""" following them. OP your friend is bad and you are probably bad by association.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

AlbieQuirky posted:

Tip income is imputed to people who work in ordinarily tipped positions, so if you're a waiter and you only report your $2.13 an hour (US minimum wage for tipped employees), you could be audited and fined.

It is all complete loving bullshit.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Yes, because tips are expected to cover a certain percentage of their wage, which the employer then doesn't have to provide. It's a god-damned huge mess in the states and should be overhauled at the federal level.

Tipping laws are dumb as poo poo and if you tip nothing you're an rear end in a top hat, but they claimed this happened in Montreal. Canadian laws on the topic are slightly less stupid than American.

Minimum wage is set by the province, and in Quebec it's $11.25 CAD (a bit over $9 USD right now), but the minimum wage for people who get tips is $9.45, not $2.something. Some provinces just have one minimum wage for everybody.

Prism has a new favorite as of 15:27 on Jul 15, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I like how the author makes sure to point out that their friend is specifically uncomfortable talking to feeeemales and """dudebros""". Just so you know their friend is a lovely human being. They're one step away from hitting a new PB because they were scared of spooky gang bangers and """thugs""" following them. OP your friend is bad and you are probably bad by association.
But in a stunning plot twist, if he did talk to the dudebros, he'd discover they were friendly and normal people. Please reblog and share while making sure to include the one reply that's literally shaking.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

In the drama classroom

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

Weeding Out The Bad Neighbors
HOME, NEIGHBORS, USA

(It is during summer and I am about nine years old. A few months prior, the city had decided to fix some nonexistent cracks in the sidewalks and make the residents pay about $500 each for it. Obviously, people complained, but the city informed them that the sidewalks were city property and that the residents had no right to decide whether the repairs were necessary. The residents tried to fight the cost being forced on them, but they lost. One of my neighbors is a bit of a grump who likes to turn tiny problems into huge issues. He also has a large garden, which he tends to obsessively. When I’m walking past his house on the way to a friend’s place, I see a tiny flower (clearly a weed) growing between the cracks of the sidewalk. I pick it and tuck it behind my ear before continuing on my way. My friend isn’t home, though, so I go back to my house. I find my mom and the grumpy neighbor arguing on the front porch.)

Neighbor: *pointing at me* “There! There it is! See? In her hair! That’s the flower she stole!”

Mom: “That little thing? The way you were going on, I thought you meant an expensive flower, like an orchid or something.”

Neighbor: “It doesn’t matter! She’s a dirty thief!”

Me: *thinking I’m about to get in a lot of trouble* “But it was just a weed! It was growing between the sidewalk cracks.”

Neighbor: “I don’t care where it was growing! You stole it from me.”

Mom: “What exactly is it that you want me to do? She can’t put the flower back.”

Neighbor: “I know she can’t put the flower back. Do you think I’m stupid? She destroyed it, and I want her punished! If you refuse to address this matter, I’ll have to involve the police.”

Mom: *pulling me behind her* “Go right ahead.”

Neighbor: *shocked* “What?”

Mom: *trying not to smirk* “As you well know after those repairs, the sidewalks are the property of the city, not you. The city has no laws forbidding children from picking flowers. Now, if that will be all, I think it’s time for you to leave.”

Neighbor: *sputtering* “But… but… she stole from me!”

Mom: “No, she clearly didn’t. But you’re on private property, and I’ve already asked to leave once. If you stay here, you’ll be trespassing, and I’ll have to involve the police.”

Neighbor: *leaves, looking like he just swallowed a lemon*

Me: *staring in shock at my mom, who’s normally very soft-spoken and non-confrontational*

Mom: “Never give in to people like that, honey. If you do, they’ll walk all over you forever.”

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I want specifics on what that writer thinks swallowing a lemon looks like. Unpeeled?
Is that a real turn of phrase?

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
Eating a lemon causes some people to make a puckery face, but you have to taste it, which you can't do if you're just swallowing it.

So it's a real turn of phrase, but the writer got it wrong.

edit: articulated what I meant really badly

Nyarai has a new favorite as of 13:34 on Jul 16, 2017

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Thats a phrase meaning someone made a 'sour' face you numbskulls.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
saying he "swallowed" a lemon is what makes it weird

saying he bit into a lemon is a common phrase

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Splitting the finest of hairs ITT.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Captain Monkey posted:

Thats a phrase meaning someone made a 'sour' face you numbskulls.

I honestly can't tell if the people saying this isn't a real saying are trolling the guy who somehow never heard that phrase before.

quote:

I took Paige out to dinner. We had a mundane conversation up until she finished her dinner completely. There was nothing left on her plate and she said proudly, "I'm in the clean plate club!" like she was a five-year-old.

"Good for you," I said.

She then pulled a folded piece of paper out of her pocket and unfolded it. It was a certificate that had her name and said, "Clean Plate Club." There was a signature line on the certificate that said "Witness" beneath it. She handed it to me with a pen and said that she had one for every day of her life.

I signed off on her certificate and she took it back with a big smile. She said, "You should think about joining. There are great membership perks."

"Like what?"

"Like being full. And the annual meetings with other platers. The lifelong bonds we develop are extraordinary. This year's convention is in Vegas."

"Uh-huh."

"Clean Plate Club!"

"Great."

That was our only date.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Tell me more about this... Deb web.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Here.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Pretty sure if you wrote that on a board the immediate assumption would be that it is a school shooting or a bomb threat.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

No joke, I would totally attend a clean plate club convention in Vegas. Bring on the crab legs :getin:

No really guys, we totally got on the dark web by accident and we won the human body part raffle. We can so get on it, I know a 12 year old whose been getting drugs off the dark web! Please don't waste my time with things like "how would a 12 year old even pay for that transaction." Also I found a port of Mario World on the dark web that lets you play as Sonic, no you can't have a copy because it only works on my computer because of my special hacker code, no you can't see my computer it's in the shop getting a special cooling system installed because it's such a huge hacker machine.

The biggest STDH is that I refuse to believe somebody actually writes like that.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I actually do not understand any of this whatsoever.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

It's a shoplifter (but it's totally OK it's just RP or something) writing about someone else shoplifting. I think.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

maswastaken posted:

It's a shoplifter (but it's totally OK it's just RP or something) writing about someone else shoplifting. I think.

I know shoplifting fandom is 'a thing' on tumblr, but I desperately hope you're joking and the RP comment is an excuse they use and they don't actually RP out being fourteen and nicking twelve dollar makeup from a lovely mall department store :psyduck:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

ishikabibble posted:

I know shoplifting fandom is 'a thing' on tumblr, but I desperately hope you're joking and the RP comment is an excuse they use and they don't actually RP out being fourteen and nicking twelve dollar makeup from a lovely mall department store :psyduck:

It's probably a bit of both. People who actually shoplift and write about it on Tumblr claim it's just RP in the same way that people post about "someone who isn't me" or "a friend" doing something illegal or embarrassing. Probably plenty of fake stories from sheltered teenagers who want to seem cool and edgy, too.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

gschmidl posted:

I actually do not understand any of this whatsoever.

That was a mechanical bull ride of a story

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

sweeperbravo posted:

That was a mechanical bull ride of a story

Turning and twisting but ultimately fake and going nowhere?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's probably a bit of both. People who actually shoplift and write about it on Tumblr claim it's just RP in the same way that people post about "someone who isn't me" or "a friend" doing something illegal or embarrassing. Probably plenty of fake stories from sheltered teenagers who want to seem cool and edgy, too.
SWIM(someone who's not me) wants to know where to get tons of drugs. Not me, though. Definitely not me.

quote:

This Is Not The Checkout You Are Looking For
RETAIL | OH, USA | WORKING | JULY 13, 2017

(I am shopping at a major retail store that sells everything from groceries to tires. Normally I use self-checkout, but I know this will be expensive so I decide to go to a register instead. I am male and the cashier is female.)

Cashier: “Hello, how are you today?”

Me: *while unloading a number of ‘Star Wars’ themed pictures on the belt* “Fine, thanks.”

Cashier: *now looking over what I am buying* “You must be single, right?”

Me: “What? Oh, uh, yeah.”

Cashier: “I knew it. No one with a girlfriend would be allowed to buy these.” *looking over each piece before scanning it* “I certainly wouldn’t let you decorate our house with this.”

(I’m 24 and the cashier most likely in her late 40s.)

Me: *now slightly uncomfortable that I am being judged by a cashier for my love of ‘Star Wars’* “Uh huh.”

(The cashier at this point is now verbally judging each piece saying things like “oh, this isn’t too bad,” or “that is much too scary to hang.”)

Cashier: “Okay, your total is [amount].”

Me: “Thanks.”

(I pay and start gathering up my bags.)

Cashier: *just as I am about to walk away* “Make sure you hide those before you invite any girls over.”

(I roll my eyes as I promise to myself that I will use the self-checkout next time.)

quote:

Close, But No Cigar
COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY | ST. LOUIS, MO, USA | WORKING | JULY 16, 2017

(I attend a very prestigious school — not Ivy League, though it outranked two of them — and walk over to the pharmacy kitty-corner from my dorm to buy some cigars. I am 19 then, and a Texas native. Under-21 licenses in Texas, which list “Under 21 until [DATE],” are rotated 90° compared with the 21+ licenses, to make age verification for alcohol purchases easier.)

Me: “Just a pack of [Cigars].”

Cashier: “Can I see your ID?”

Me: “Sure.” *hands it over*

Cashier: *raises an eyebrow* “This is out-of-state.”

Me: “Yeah, I’m from Texas.”

Cashier: *sighs, pulls out a book from beneath the counter with examples of IDs from each state*

Cashier: “Your ID is oriented the wrong way.”

Me: “Oh, yeah, they do that until age 21.”

Cashier: “I dunno; the book doesn’t mention that.”

Me: “The book probably only shows examples of 21+, for alcohol purchases. You can see mine says ‘Under 21 until [My 21st Birthday].’ But I’m just buying tobacco; I’m over 18.”

Cashier: “I’m gonna have to get my manager; I think this is a fake.”

Me: “Listen, ma’am. I attend [University], and I’ve been on the Dean’s List every semester. I’m a National Merit Scholar. I got a 2320 on my SATs, and graduated from my high school with a 91/100 GPA. It’s safe to say I’m a fairly smart guy. Do you honestly think I would be here, not only showing you a fake ID, but one that explicitly states that I’m not even 21?”

(I got the cigars.)

quote:

Evolving To Avoid Tipping
EMPLOYEES, HARRISBURG, PENNSYLVANIA, RELIGION, RESTAURANT, USA | WORKING | JUNE 26, 2017

(When visiting a friend we go to a local restaurant. While we’re waiting for our order, I’m telling him about my aquarium and a certain fish I have.)

Me: “So the betta is actually able to breathe air directly. They evolved to survive in a rapidly changing environment. Repeated floodings and stuff.”

(A wild waitress appears with our order.)

Waitress: *glares at me*

Me: “Thank you.”

Waitress: “Hmpf!”

(We’re both rather confused, considering she’d been nice enough when she took our order. When we want to pay up, I decide to pay since my friend had invited me the last time.)

Waitress: *still glares at me*

Me: “Is there a problem?”

Waitress: “You’re very rude!”

Me: “Excuse me? How am I being rude?”

Waitress: “You’re trying to impose your beliefs on me!”

Me: “I what?!”

Waitress: “I don’t believe in evolution! And you’re yelling about it all the time!”

Me: “Are you serious? First of all, I wasn’t yelling. And second, I wasn’t even talking to you!”

Waitress: “Well, you should consider that there are people who don’t believe in that stuff, so you shouldn’t talk about it!”

Me: “I don’t even… Are you serious? Look, just let me pay up and we’ll leave.”

Waitress: “Fine!”

(She gives me the bill. I cross out the tip part and pay.)

Waitress: “What? You didn’t write down any tip!”

Me: “I find it very rude that you’re trying to impose your beliefs on me!”

Waitress: “What? What beliefs?”

Me: “I don’t believe in tipping.”

(She was furious but shut up. We left.)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

quote:

Me: “I don’t believe in tipping.”

What stinging wit, and not at all the best way of looking like a huge rear end in a top hat, no siree.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

quote:

Me: “Listen, ma’am. I attend [University], and I’ve been on the Dean’s List every semester. I’m a National Merit Scholar. I got a 2320 on my SATs, and graduated from my high school with a 91/100 GPA. It’s safe to say I’m a fairly smart guy. Do you honestly think I would be here, not only showing you a fake ID, but one that explicitly states that I’m not even 21?”
Not even the author wants you believe that story; it's just a vehicle for this even bigger STDH.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Fathis Munk posted:

What stinging wit, and not at all the best way of looking like a huge rear end in a top hat, no siree.

It makes me think of the Reservoir Dogs opening scene

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

91/100 gpa?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The maximum gpa is 100 however he got a 91

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Zelder posted:

91/100 gpa?

"I'm smart as poo poo. Also I got a B+ in high school (loving JOCK rear end PE)"

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Zelder posted:

91/100 gpa?

It's a Texas high school. They don't use decimals because everything is bigger there.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I once ran into a 7-11, bought a 6 pack of beer, paid, went to my car, then realized I forgot cigarettes. I ran back in, asked for the cigs, and the (same) cashier asked for my id. I was like "uh, dude. You JUST checked it for me to buy alcohol, so I'm over 21, so why do you need to see it again to buy something that's age restricted to 18?"

He kind of gave me a blank look for a minute and still asked for my id. Moral of the story: there are some people who just follow the rules really closely.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The '97 valedictorian from my high school got busted selling cocaine during his freshman year at an Ivy League school. So ya, smart people do lots of dumb things.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Zipperelli. posted:

I once ran into a 7-11, bought a 6 pack of beer, paid, went to my car, then realized I forgot cigarettes. I ran back in, asked for the cigs, and the (same) cashier asked for my id. I was like "uh, dude. You JUST checked it for me to buy alcohol, so I'm over 21, so why do you need to see it again to buy something that's age restricted to 18?"

He kind of gave me a blank look for a minute and still asked for my id. Moral of the story: there are some people who just follow the rules really closely.

Yeah, if he didn't check he probably would have got fired. Instead of trusting people to make their own decisions, it's easier to just have it be a blanket policy.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
IDs.

I remember being carded felt like a pain in the rear end back in my early 20s.

Then comes the late 20s and they stop asking all together and you just wish they would again.

omnibobb posted:

Yeah, if he didn't check he probably would have got fired. Instead of trusting people to make their own decisions, it's easier to just have it be a blanket policy.

Over here the government tests stores constantly. They have legal aged staff that look very young go in and make test purchases.

Clerks are not just required to check the ID of buyers but also the IDs of the people they accompany. So if you and a friend arrive at the store and your friend waits outside. The clerk should ask for your friends ID as well or refuse to sell to you. If you then leave and return half an hour later they might refuse you again unless you brought your friend and his ID.

The government has an alcohol monopoly and selling is secondary priority to keeping minors from drinking.

Catberry has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Jul 16, 2017

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Oh no, I have to pull out my ID which I probably have on me because it's the same license that allowed me to drive to the store in the first place and contained in the same wallet where I keep my cash that I have to pull out in order to pay with anyway. Oh woe is me.

I will never understand the bitching about being carded. It's a negligible inconvenience.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Garrand posted:

Oh no, I have to pull out my ID which I probably have on me because it's the same license that allowed me to drive to the store in the first place and contained in the same wallet where I keep my cash that I have to pull out in order to pay with anyway. Oh woe is me.

I will never understand the bitching about being carded. It's a negligible inconvenience.

To be fair I don't drink but my mates do and I got carded for being in their company when they bought beers and cigarettes mainly.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Is that even a thing? Cashiers keeping a book of all 50 state IDs so they can check out-of-staters?

And just LOL at bragging about your high school GPA to prove you're too smart to get a fake ID that only lets you buy tobacco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Is that even a thing? Cashiers keeping a book of all 50 state IDs so they can check out-of-staters?

If there's a college nearby, yes.