Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

shyduck posted:

Regarding Framemeister, The 'My Life In Gaming' guys learned from somebody with Micomsoft knowledge that the company only has basically one engineer, and they're not keen on the being in the upscaler business. Grain of salt, but doesn't sound good for an updated one.

How has noone else made something to compete yet? The OSSC is fine, but not really the same thing. At that price point you'd think there would've been some competition by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i dont get the mario sunshine thing. someone pls explain it to me

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

mycophobia posted:

I posted about this in some imp zone thread but basically the contiguous nature of the SMW world, where you can go back and forth and take shortcuts through Star Road and stuff, made a really big impression on me as a kid, whereas SMB3 was just eight separate maps you go through in sequence. It seems like a small thing but being able to walk through Bowser's lair by finding a secret in Donut Land blew my mind when I was little. SMW is just chock full of all sorts of cool secret poo poo. I also like cape Mario better than raccoon Mario. Not to mention better graphics, sound, etc, but I will say SMW does lack some of the level variety of SMB3. Overall, SMW wins out for me easy, though I could probably go the rest of my life without playing either of them again lol.

Super Mario World has more secrets, but I think the hidden things in Super Mario Bros. 3 are neater, or at least they were back in the day. World's extra stages and alternate routes seem formalized by the time you've figured out that red dots denote levels with multiple exits. SMB3's secrets are weird and unexpected: the coin ship, the Hammer Suit, that part of 1-3 where you duck into the background and it feels like you're breaking into the game to find a warp whistle. That hits harder, in my opinion.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

It was originally an internal demo made by an experimental team and had no affiliation with Mario. It was just a fun game where a dude would use water to wash off inks and stuff. Then everybody played all the demos, decided that was the most fun demo, and decided to make it a Mario game.

That was pretty early in development, but still. Its a silly no true scotsman argument.

mycophobia posted:

Dude just wait 5 minutes so I can post already

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sir Tonk posted:

How has noone else made something to compete yet? The OSSC is fine, but not really the same thing. At that price point you'd think there would've been some competition by now.

Its very niche and requires a ton of computer know how and engineering? Even at that price point they may not be making that much money. Hasn't there only been thousands of these sold? Maybe tens of thousands?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Kid Fenris posted:

Super Mario World has more secrets, but I think the hidden things in Super Mario Bros. 3 are neater, or at least they were back in the day. World's extra stages and alternate routes seem formalized by the time you've figured out that red dots denote levels with multiple exits. SMB3's secrets are weird and unexpected: the coin ship, the Hammer Suit, that part of 1-3 where you duck into the background and it feels like you're breaking into the game to find a warp whistle. That hits harder, in my opinion.

that's the thing: these secrets are random; they just pop up like its a board game. whereas smw's secrets belong to the world you're traveling in. basically in the long run it contributes more to an immersive game world to be told that you can explore and find hidden routes than it is to just randomly collect all the coins in 1-4 and have a bonus game pop up.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

It was originally an internal demo made by an experimental team and had no affiliation with Mario. It was just a fun game where a dude would use water to wash off inks and stuff. Then everybody played all the demos, decided that was the most fun demo, and decided to make it a Mario game.

That was pretty early in development, but still. Its a silly no true scotsman argument.

Dude just wait 5 minutes so I can post already

oh ok my bad. i thought you were talking poo poo about mario sunshine. i didnt know that, cool.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mycophobia posted:

oh ok my bad. i thought you were talking poo poo about mario sunshine. i didnt know that, cool.

Nah, and I don't think anybody was even saying Mario 2 / Doki Doki was bad necessarily? Just that it "wasn't officially Mario" which is silly. Who cares. Canon is dumb. Just play fun games :thumbsup: nothing else matters.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

mycophobia posted:

that's the thing: these secrets are random; they just pop up like its a board game. whereas smw's secrets belong to the world you're traveling in. basically in the long run it contributes more to an immersive game world to be told that you can explore and find hidden routes than it is to just randomly collect all the coins in 1-4 and have a bonus game pop up.

To this day, I still have never had a white mushroom house appear in SMB3.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ineffiable posted:

Its very niche and requires a ton of computer know how and engineering? Even at that price point they may not be making that much money. Hasn't there only been thousands of these sold? Maybe tens of thousands?

It's like with the analogue nt mini. They found someone that knew enough to program the FPGA and worked with him on a console. There's got to be a company out there like analog or hyperkin that's willing to front the research funding. People would eat up a version that had either RGB BNC or full size SCART connectors, I know I'd like one.

Jason at gametechus was saying they've sold more than 3000 Hi-Def NES kits and that's including the analogue systems.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah, and I don't think anybody was even saying Mario 2 / Doki Doki was bad necessarily? Just that it "wasn't officially Mario" which is silly. Who cares. Canon is dumb. Just play fun games :thumbsup: nothing else matters.

My Mario canon involves a whole lot of golfing and fires bullet bills.

Rollersnake posted:

To this day, I still have never had a white mushroom house appear in SMB3.

Really? I get a few when I just play normally.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Random Stranger posted:

Really? I get a few when I just play normally.

I don't remember if the old Mario Mania guide didn't tell you the precisely correct way to get it or if I couldn't follow instructions properly, but I was never able to get one to appear when I was a kid even when I was trying for it. Never accidentally triggered one either, though I've had the coin ship appear lots of times.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I want to add that SMW is 9.95 (minus 5th of a point because it has like 5 tilesets). SMB3 is just perfect 10 therefor better.

mycophobia posted:

It's ostensibly Super Mario 64, a game with one of the most diverse move sets in any 3D platformer, and they bolt on a new mode of transportation just for the hell of it. The best levels are when you lose the pack. Everything else is too big and uninteresting with weird floating platforms and impossible architecture (I mean, more so than your average Mario game) that exists only to justify FLUDD.

Mario Galaxy is the fixed Sunshine.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Sir Tonk posted:

It's mostly because upscalers sell to an absolutely tiny audience. Most TV's are good enough at upscaling DVD's or VHS/Laserdiscs so the potential customer base for these upscalers these days are only a very small portion of retro game nerds.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah, especially since a VHS or laserdisc or DVD player is going to put out a very close to standards picture in the first place if it's working. None of the mess of weird barely compliant hacky video like some consoles do.

This is also why putting 720/1080 scaling into a custom console easy, you only need to support one system worth of quirks, not all of them.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

al-azad posted:

I want to add that SMW is 9.95 (minus 5th of a point because it has like 5 tilesets). SMB3 is just perfect 10 therefor better.

It's ostensibly Super Mario 64, a game with one of the most diverse move sets in any 3D platformer, and they bolt on a new mode of transportation just for the hell of it. The best levels are when you lose the pack. Everything else is too big and uninteresting with weird floating platforms and impossible architecture (I mean, more so than your average Mario game) that exists only to justify FLUDD.

what the gently caress is this poo poo. oh whoops i forgot i was in Games lol

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
SMW and SMB3 are both good games. However, since we skipped the SNES growing up, SMB3 is my favorite between the two since I didn't play SMW until decades later.

That said, I probably would grab SMB2 off the shelf just as much as I'd grab 3.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Rirse posted:

I mentioned last page, but anyone here willing to fit my GBA with the backlight mod with a new case? After the bad experience I had with it, I just rather get a goon who knows how to get it assembled right. If I did this I would just sent the motherboard for the GBA out, since the old screws probably will strip if I try putting them back in.

Assuming you have the ribbon cable adapter and whatnot. It doesn't seem like a hard mod to just do yourself. Granted I just bought mine premodded since it was only $20-$30 more than getting everything together myself at the time.

Did you get the brand new casing/buttons/glass screen too?

I'd offer to take a crack at it for you since I am pretty fair at modding and soldering, however I have a kid due to be born in the next 2 weeks and wouldn't be able to get to it in a timely manner.

Maybe message Monitor Burn?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Random Stranger posted:

The first Mario Land set a standard for the Game Boy: make a really bad version of a game on the console. I'll give them credit that it controls fine and the music is good, but the levels are terrible. the ball power up is poorly utilized, and why are all the bosses in shooters? I don't know if the fact that it is both absurdly easy and short is a good or a bad thing in this case.

I remember spending an entire summer trying to beat this game. I finally did, then I stopped playing it. It even resulted in kid-me writing a letter to the company that made the Game Genie begging for a Gameboy one. I have no illusions that the letter influenced them, but one did eventually come out. I never got it though.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FireMrshlBill posted:

Assuming you have the ribbon cable adapter and whatnot. It doesn't seem like a hard mod to just do yourself. Granted I just bought mine premodded since it was only $20-$30 more than getting everything together myself at the time.

Did you get the brand new casing/buttons/glass screen too?

I'd offer to take a crack at it for you since I am pretty fair at modding and soldering, however I have a kid due to be born in the next 2 weeks and wouldn't be able to get to it in a timely manner.

Maybe message Monitor Burn?

It doesn't matter now, because taking it apart from the striped screws messed up the motherboard so it dead now. Well that was a waste of ten dollars for the old GBA, as at least I can return the lovely backlight kit.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

I don't remember if the old Mario Mania guide didn't tell you the precisely correct way to get it or if I couldn't follow instructions properly, but I was never able to get one to appear when I was a kid even when I was trying for it. Never accidentally triggered one either, though I've had the coin ship appear lots of times.

I think it's my habit of obsessively collecting everything that makes sure I get some while mushroom houses.

al-azad posted:

There could have been a very good game featuring FLUDD and the movement mechanics. But I feel like they tried to bolt it onto Mario style levels and that's what made Sunshine unpleasant. Maybe Splatoon is Sunshine done right. :v:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Rollersnake posted:

White mushroom houses are triggered by collecting basically every coin on particular stages, while the coin ships can be triggered at the end of any stage in theory, so that's not surprising.

Accidentally finding the coin ship + triggering the Duck Vader fight in Tiny Toon Adventures blew my drat mind as a kid.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

It's wrong anyway. Guess where Shy Guys and Birdo came from?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm saying it's bad, gently caress Doki Doki.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Try playing Doki Doki Panic and it makes you wonder if it got nerfed because they knew it was becoming SMB2.

DDP wouldn't let you loving RUN

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's wrong anyway. Guess where Shy Guys and Birdo came from?

Yeah we'd already covered that bit :)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://twitter.com/orion80/status/886511955535552512
Gorgeous.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The XRGB news is actually quite unsettling, because sooner or later 4k TVs will presumably replace their 1080p counterparts more or less across the board. While I assume/hope that the upscalers in these 4k sets are a lot better, and going 1080p->2060p using the existing XRGB is still probably an improvement over say trying 240p/480p directly into the TV, that's still some extra lag being introduced. I hope somehow, if not Micomsoft, still steps up the place down the road with a 4k upscaler.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Nate RFB posted:

The XRGB news is actually quite unsettling, because sooner or later 4k TVs will presumably replace their 1080p counterparts more or less across the board. While I assume/hope that the upscalers in these 4k sets are a lot better, and going 1080p->2060p using the existing XRGB is still probably an improvement over say trying 240p/480p directly into the TV, that's still some extra lag being introduced. I hope somehow, if not Micomsoft, still steps up the place down the road with a 4k upscaler.

Isn't 4k a really loving good size because it's 720p exactly 9 times and 1080p exactly 4 times which means it can upscale with very minimal issues?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Ineffiable posted:

Isn't 4k a really loving good size because it's 720p exactly 9 times and 1080p exactly 4 times which means it can upscale with very minimal issues?

Yep, but the new odd one out is 480p which doesn't integer scale into 4K. We'll have to wait for 8K TVs to finally integer scale every resolution from 240p to 4K.

Also, the exciting thing about 4K that gets overlooked a lot is that with that many pixels (and HDR) you can scale 240p and accurately simulate CRT subpixels, shadow mask, bloom, scanlines, etc.

Once 4K HDR PC monitors become an affordable thing, look for crazy screenshots of what the future of scaling old CRT sources will look like.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I think 4k is a good size for upscaling because it means the pixels will be the correct size but I don't think it helps with lag or anything.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I think 4k is a good size for upscaling because it means the pixels will be the correct size but I don't think it helps with lag or anything.
Exactly, I wasn't aware of any sort of "hit" to the process of not having it be a clean integer multiple other than the resulting pixels would have to be a bit blurred to fill the screen and not have that super clean/sharp look. The set's lag in its upscaler would be unchanged unless I'm grossly misunderstanding the process. The XRGB itself of course also introduces lag but it's supposed to be far less than the 1080p sets of the time.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Ebay scam check, what's up with this listing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332306703783

He has it listed as auction but says buy it now only but doesn't have that option set. It most certainly seems to be too good of a deal @ $1k, just curious if folks have seen this before.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

falz posted:

He has it listed as auction but says buy it now only but doesn't have that option set. It most certainly seems to be too good of a deal @ $1k, just curious if folks have seen this before.

100% scam. Anyone who messages him will be asked to complete the transaction outside of eBay's systems, and that's the last you'll see of your money. Report the listing, not that eBay will actually do anything about it.

VVVV: Could be a stolen eBay account.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 16, 2017

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Reported that + this other one http://www.ebay.com/itm/332306704004 (same seller, same price). His account is from 2010, unsure how a scam seller would be able to have 100% positive feedback and a long-ish term account.

Edit: weird, his ebay ID changed today, perhaps it's a hacked account OR he just went rogue.

falz fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 16, 2017

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

falz posted:

Why does eBay make it so hard to report listings?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

falz posted:

Complete scam, any form of payment outside of official ebay buy it now dodges fees and you wouldn't get Ebay's Guarantee on stuff. As for Neo Geo stuff goes.. I mean its too good to be true. That carry bag goes for way too much money by itself :D

Speaking of which, getting back into dusting off the old consoles and going through the RGB -> HD process and scratching my head.

SCART?

I mean, I did this before back in the 90's, back then in North America, everything was console system -> BNC or console system to -> 25 pin DB and despite what a few youtube channels said, you could get North American TV's with RGB, but it was just a handful of models.. a few Mitsubishi/NEC high-end models and the Sony Pro Feel line all had DB-25 connectors on them. Kinda odd to see the modern method is to use system -> scart -> BNC -> RGB/upscaler route, but I guess its cost considerations.

That being said, I'm testing out the waters with a Genesis system and not having much luck, I got a flat panel and a BVM and I'm not getting RGB out, it looks like the cheapo cinpel amazon Genesis to Scart cables are non spec. I checked the pin outs with a meter and there's missing voltage here and there, it's not Scart or JP-21 so I'm sending that back and ordering something from a better vendor. Not surprised, the Cinpel Scart was $9, the Scart -> RGBs with sync strip ran me $50. Going to need a quality DIN -> Scart cable .. and so far it looks like my only option is the retro game cable guys in the UK.

Right now I'm running systems into a extron 304 DVI upscaler, which .. I'll be happy with assuming I can get my SCART sitaution unfucked.

Hopefully in time for my Neo Geo AES to show up, I was debating going the supergun/MVS route or getting an AES but I found a JP console which already had the RGBS capacitor mod done to it and the universal bios installed so I pulled the trigger on it. Plus it ships with a working Euroscart cable so that'll be something I can add to the future pile of cables I'm going to need.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Holy poo poo :allears:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
That listing has been nuked, so it seems the reports worked nice and promptly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Yeah ebay is .. relatively quick on any attempt to dodge fees like those listings were doing.

• Locked thread